New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [NEXUS] The Weald III

Spoiler
    Show

Have you ever been lost in the woods? No? Well perhaps you know someone who has. Or know of someone who has. An a group of boyscouts, perhaps. A father and his son. A little girl bearing cookies for her frail old grandmama. They went into the woods. But they did not come out.

They are here.

But where is here? The Weald is the darkness that exists in the heart of all forests. As long as there have been green places large enough to get lost in, or woods to house wolves or demented serial killers or other ferocious beasts and unseen terrors, the Weald has existed. It's funny, really, how fast nature can turn on you when you don't expect it, even in the modern age. Advanced technology fails here, and navigational tools such as compasses and GPS cease to function. Maps are similarly unreliable and even trying to navigate by the stars is prone to failure within these depths. Do not depend on magic either; its strength can wax and wane within the Weald, and in some places even disappear completely.

This is the Weald. No benevolent gods will intercede on your behalf. No one cares if you die. The only prey here is you, and all games played here are lethal. No civilizations exist here, and no civilizations would dare. Only the brave or the foolhardy need enter. Good luck. Not that it will help.

OoC Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    • This is an Open thread. Anyone can enter if they know how (or are sufficiently unfortunate to stumble across it by accident), and anyone can run encounters or plots here. Ideally, any voyage into the Weald by outsiders should be suitably risky, even for fey, druids or others supposedly in tune with Nature. The Weald has a will of its own, and makes few friends.
    • The Weald cannot be destroyed. The trees tend to actively resist an attack, and in any case, the Weald is not a physical place as such, but rather the essence of loneliness, danger and fear. One might well try to destroy happiness, love or grief.
    • You are not greater than the Weald. This thread is intended to be used for dark fantasy or gritty realism at least, and outright horror at most. Mary Sue unkillable super-perfect god characters (or regular characters played like unkillable super-perfect god characters) need not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] The Weald III

Somewhere in the Weald a man is resting on the trunk of a tree. Though asleep he will waken if he senses something or someone approach. At the moment his left hand is resting on his sword at his right hip. Things seem to be peaceful at the moment but how long will that last?
    Boredom is a double-edged sword. Oh yeah I made character entries in the character directory wanna see?

Spoiler
    Show

From Left to Right: Surtr, Narve

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

There's the softest of rustles near him, but that shouldn't disturb him. It's just the breeze over the surface of the grass. Nothing to wake him.

Or so it seems until a hand tries to grab his ankle.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

The man maybe a light sleeper but he isn't super-sensitive. Until the hand grabs his ankle he doesn't wake. But as soon as he felt it he Jumped away too try and make the hand let go. His sword is out as well, thin black steel shines.

"...!"
    Boredom is a double-edged sword. Oh yeah I made character entries in the character directory wanna see?

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"Die, Owner! a voice says, that sounds like wind. He easily escapes the grip. The hand is quite small and attached to a shoulder and a head that emerge from the grass and earth. It appears to be a little fey girl of about 5 or 6 and she looks angry. As she speaks, grass grows up trying to pin down the man's sword arm.

Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-08-29 at 06:01 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

The man is agile so he moves away from the growing grass. He makes it up to a tree branch via wall-running. His mind is confused at his situation. He fell asleep after wandering into a forest and is woken by...... something clearly not human, also it seems to want him dead.

"Owner? The hell do you mean? Hey, stop it with the grass! What do you want?" The man speaks in a rough tone.

If he could stop it from attacking him then good but if not.......

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"You came here to own us!" the little grass fey screams in fury. "Swords and metal and chains and whips and pain! I HATE YOU!"

The grass vines keep whipping up after him, but they can't reach.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

The man is relieved that he is out of reach but is still on his guard. When the fey screams at him for stuff he had nothing to do with he got pissed. He gulped some air and bellowed.

"SHUT YOUR TRAP BRAT! Do I look like a slaver to you!? huh!? "

He takes a small black ball from his pocket and struck it on his sword. He puts the ball back in his pocket quickly. The blade quickly becomes enveloped in black flame. The flame, however, is not raging but thinly veils the sword.

"Don't force me to do something we'll both regret. I am NOT a patient man." Hopefully this will scare the fey off so the man can get himself unlost from whatever forest he wandered in.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"YES YOU LOOK LIKE A SLAVER!!!!" the fey girl howls back, in a voice that sounds like a storm wind. She's completely out of the ground now, standing defiantly and staring up at him. "I won't let you trick me again."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

"You calling me a liar Brat!" Sigh.... again sigh. Stupid slavers getting me into trouble for stuff I didn't do. Stupid kid Fey blaming me for stuff I don't know about. stupid forest making him lost....

"I warned you. ALLSLASH!" He jumped down and used a skill from the time when he was an explorer of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth back in Etria . The skill ALLSLASH is a move that damages all oponents, with the black flame the damage should be even worse as like all black fire it consumes what it touches. The skill is only aimed at the grass and not at the fey. Its only purpose is to try and burn whatever want to grab him and cover his escape with the black smoke that will emit. If all goes well the man will be able to run away north of the current position. The fire should only last till he gets away if he gets away.

((If it was not clear, the dude id from a game called Etrian Odyssey on the DS. Check it out its a cool dungeon crawler game.))

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The grass burns, and the fey, despite not being touched by the fire, lets out a scream of wind that is painful (but not damaging) to the ears.

The man is free to run away.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Well looks the the man got away. Well its not like forest creatures/people trying to kill him would be new to him. It was the same in the town of Etria. As soon as he got away he gathered his breath and came to a decision. He would hunt down these "Owners". If he got rid of people like those maybe forest-kin would be lest inclined to kill wandering humans like him. Well he found something to do. First he needs to find a way out of the forest in one piece, gathering info comes next and last... well you know.

"I hope I didn't singe the kid, she attacked first anyway..... I'm too soft for my own good."

The man walks on, what will this forest bring next?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Nadas returns to his tent on the outskirts of here, clearly agitated. What a terrible day. Lost all of his library books again too. Fees are going to kill him if accursed demons and grigs didn't first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of the Weald]

>=3

As Nadas approaches his tent, he'll see several tiny people with the wings of butterflies and moths flitting around his tent. Upon closer inspection, there appear to be an even number of men and women. They were very minimal clothing, amounting mostly to small leaves around their waist. They each have brown and green body paints covering their bodies, with patterns varying from pixie to pixie. They don't notice Nadas yet; They're too focused on poking around his camp.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Surtr

What the forest brings is trees. Lots and lots of trees. Where previously they had been spacious enough to allow him passage, now, in every direction, they cluster tightly together, extending branches and vines to deny him progress. He'll have to hack his way if he wants to get through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

[Esruc]

Esruc blinks in surprise as the forest decides to block his path in every direction. "Maybe up is in order." Esruc jumps up at the branches trying too see if he could branch-hop as opposed to sapping his strength by hacking through the forest as the trees may decide to hack back.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of the Weald]

Hell, he wasn't in the mood to deal with more fey today. Not even in a studying mood. Even if they may be able to reverse what the grig did, Nadas backs up as far as he can and still watch. Just don't hurt his notes. Please, please, please...
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of the Weald]

Some of the pixies disappear into the tent while the rest continue milling about. Those inside the tent will start picking through Nadas' possessions. Not damaging anything, but they'll make a mess if left to it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Pixie-Hunting Expedition

A group of five orcs are walking through the forest, carrying large nets. They each have a mystic amulet around their necks which is supposed to protect them from fey magic. The fact the person who sold those amulets suddenly left town shortly after puts their protective value into question, but their master chose to omit that information when he gave the orcs their orders. They are searching for pixies to capture.

The first orc is tall and burly, with deep purple skin and a scar over his pig-like snout. He's wearing a heavy steel breastplate and ill-fitting chainmail; it hangs loosely at his wrists and lower legs, but threatens to burst on his upper arms, torso and upper legs. At his waist are two swords, one made of dark iron, the other of shiny silver. He's carrying a large butterfly net.

The second orc is much smaller, with no scars and light orange skin. He's wearing leather armour that was designed with sneaking in mind, and carries a crossbow adapted to fire a net, with several spares draped across his person.

The third orc is a runt with pale blue skin, glowing red eyes and is wearing a loincloth, three belts and four bandoleers, all covered in currently-empty jars crawling with symbols of magical absorption and reflection, plus glyphs of binding and captivity. He pushes a trolley filled with more of those mystic signs. The jars, unlike the protective amulets, are incredibly valuable and are certainly all genuine.

The fourth orc has deep green skin, walrus-like tusks, and form-fitting steel plate armour. She carries another net.

The fifth orc is a priest. She is wearing a cloak made from the sewn together skins of several other humanoids and nothing else, revealing her withered and ancient albino body to the world. Her toothless mouth constantly moves in prayers to protect those of her flock from the fey. She carries an ornate staff carved from the femur of a Titan.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of the Weald]

Well... they don't seem to be ripping things up or lighting matches, so Nadas will stay back for the time being. Things ought to be alright.

At least, they would be if it weren't for incoming orc pixie catchers. Things will likely all go to hell if they show up here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of the Weald]

The pixies continue to poke around at their leisure. Sure is some interesting stuff here. The sort of stuff they generally see in the bags of the occasional corpse in the woods.

But when they hear the rustling the approaching orcs undoubtedly make, one makes a bird call (that's unfamiliar to this particular area, if one has knowledge of such things) and the whole lot of them disappear into the trees and underbrush. They don't go far, though. They want to see what's approaching.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Edge of the Weald- Pixie Hunters

Unfortunately for Nadas, when the orc hunters find the camp they'll have a quick look around. Most likely, anything obviously valuable will disappear, as will food. They also won't deliberately destroy anything, though might accidentally drop something valuable, fragile, or both, especially if they don't realise its value. But they'll quickly move on; they're looking for pixies, not mysterious camps.

The pixies might recognise the purpose of the nets, or Nadas might.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Well no one said anything about Nadas standing by when Orcs show up. Pixies are troublemakers, but Orcs are brutes and frankly Nadas won't stand for them even thinking about digging through his stuff at this point.

When they come into view but before they actually reach anything, no doubt after the pixies already went into hiding, Nadas comes out of hiding heading straight into his camp hurriedly.

"Salutations." He says, warily eying their equipment.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-09-03 at 07:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

[Edge of the Weald - Pixie Hunters]

The pixies stay out of sight for now. All of them recognize the nets an their purpose. A they tighten their grips on their spears and a couple giggle, though the sound shouldn't be audible to someone with normal hearing.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

"'Ello. Oo're you?" The speaker is the withered crone orc, wearing her cloak of sewn skins. The other orcs look around nervously. They seem more confident than the last group, due to the (probably faulty) protective amulets they wear.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Nadas ears turn slightly, but not much. Definitely doesn't have boring old normal human hearing.

"I'm Nadas Xar'cha and this is my home." Nadas explains without asking any questions back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

No action from the pixies just yet. Wonder what they're planning over there? Oh well, Nadas and the orcs won't have to worry about them just yet.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

"OK. Be careful; dis wood dangerous. We got protekky-tive amoo lits. But not any spares. We be goin' now. OK." The orcs will then quickly move on, heading deeper into the forest. Nadas might see the amulets; they are an arcane shape, and seem to glow slightly, but they aren't very powerful.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Grrr... if they leave the pixies might come back.
    "Wait! Uhhh... what does your amulets protect you against precisely?"
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-09-04 at 04:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, the pixies are coming back alright. One of the pixies peeks out of the underbrush. He's a wiry little red haired individual. He taps his fingers against the long, sharp thorn that makes up the tip of his spear. Suddenly he flits out of the underbrush and, swiftly and silently, he heads straight for the back of the purple skinned orc and tries to sink his spear into the back of his neck. Even the smallest amount of exposed flesh provides and excellent target. Should the attack succeed, a poison that's supposed to temporarily paralyze should enter his body.

Not quite in unison, but almost so, two more pixies shoot from a nearby tree. They're identical twins, their body paints being the only way to tell them apart. The first flits in front of the orange skinned orc to get his attention. She tries to fling pixie dust in his face with the intent of temporarily blinding him. Her sister goes behind the same orc and tries to find some bare skin to stick her bee stinger tipped spear into. She has a poison as well, one to make muscles spasm and difficult to use.

Three more pixies pursue the blue skinned runt. These seem even more quick and agile than their companions and carry tiny short bows. They flit around in front of the orc and shoot arrows at his eyes with an impressive rate off fire.

Another two pixies, one with streaks o colour in her light brown hair and the other with midnight black hair fly toward the heavily armoured green skin. They fly over her head and try to sprinkle pixie dust that's intended to make her armour rust and the joints become stiff.

The last two pixies, a somewhat large male and and an older female, fly around the albino priest's feet. They sprinkle pixie dust around that will make the grass and underbrush razor sharp.