New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Hold The Watchtower! and other frontier heroics

lets begin withintroductions
    There’s an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom and consolation to the soul in times of need Allons-y!

my wonderful avatar by ceika (all i had to do was teach it the four elements)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Hold The Watchtower! and other frontier heroics

A young man came walking out of the forest. His long dark hair was unwashed, and his lower face was covered in what looked to be nearly a weeks worth of whiskers. He wore a dark green cloak, carried a sword by his side, and a heavy-looking longbow across his back, along with various packs and things secured to his belt and pouches. He appeared quite ladened with burdens.
    As far as the hunting goes, it was a good trip, he thought, furrowing his brows, an expression that seemed to come naturally to him, his green eyes staring off in the distance. Those fleeing animals might have provided easy targets, but I don't like it one bit... Something was maKing them run, and I bet it was orcs... Bloody orcs, always harrasing peaceful creatures. His frown had turned into a full on scowl.
    With the afternoon sun at his back, he approached the palisades of the town. He aways travelled westwards on these forrays, save for a single time he'd ventured north for weeks. The tundra was truly a sight to behold, but something about the forests cept calling him back.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

a young half-elf leaves the temple, for the first time in three years, she leaves toward the palisade, to sign on with the guard, she carries a sword at he hip and a shield on her arm. a sword to match her bastard heritage, she thinks tittering. she was granted a vision, a warning, of the red dawn in the west. and she would honor this by helping, the guard can always use healing and another blade, and she would supply both, "whatever gathers in the west, let it know the might of the morning-lord stands in its way" she says, almost to herself as she walks into the headquarters of the palisade.
    Last edited by whovian4life; 2013-01-21 at 10:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A hobgoblin emerged from the general store, and two townsfolk that had stopped to chat immediately decided to finish later. Taking off with a strong stride, the hobgoblin who shaved his head only shook it slightly in disappointment. Wearing no clothes above his waste, he slung a sack over his ripped shoulders and began to head eastward to his home. As he walked the streets, villagers all found reason to cross the street or go inside as he walked by.

Baradox was no fool, he was aware of the racism. It was not his culture, he knew that. He could understand that they viewed him as a outsider. That they naturally distrusted him. He did not hold it against them, even though they held so much against him. But that did not mean he liked it. He frowned unhappily, and it was amplified with the scar on the left side of his face. It made him look almost hostile.

"Stop right there ya no good theif!!!" Cried a human male in his mid forties.
    Sighing, the hobgoblin slowly stopped and turned as the man hobbled towards him.
    "Mr. Henderson, a pleasure as always. But as I have explained on several other days, I did not steal this food. I traded it legally and fairly."
    "Ya damn Liar! I bet you murdered poor ms. Wilcox."
    "I can assure you, Misses Wilcox is quite fine. She appreciates the firewood I bring her on cold nights, and returns the favor with her bread. I have taken nothing."
    "Damn gobbys ain't nothing but LIARS!!!" The drunken man screamed, throwing a poorly aimed punch. Baradox easily sided stepped it. With his training, it was very slow. He is much drunker than normal. It is not even noon yet... Dropping his sack, he moved with lightning speed. Baradox grabbed Mr. Henderson's arm and whipped him to his knees. The man began swinging wildly with his other arm. Barely missing the swings, the hobgoblin quickly put the man in a sleeper hold. He was drunk, and would pass out quickly. It was the only way to escape the man's anger today. Well, I almost made it past the palisade... Only another 50 ft and I would have slipped past him...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrhos

Pyrhos woke up with a start, as Mr. Brownmer 's cart next door hit the corner 's cobblestones. Regular as clockwork, Mr. Brownmer. This had been Pyrhos' morning waking call for the last six months.

Pyrhos woke up and massaged his tired eyes. He had never been a morning person, but the last three days had been frantic. With a frown, he noticed that he hadn't even washed the coffee percolator last night, before he collapsed in his bed. He had been that tired. Either way, it was inexcusable.

As Pyrhos begun his lengthy process of grooming (pants cleaning, fresh shirt, careful hair brushing, shaving), he again replayed within his powerful memory his recent findings. In the last week, his infusions had been going slightly wrong. Pyrhos, a very methodical man when it came to his work, had labored hard to find what was at fault. Finally, after several days of analysis, he figured it out. The water had a slight taint, which needed adjustment. Originally very pure, it now contained Caput Mortuus, Alkali Regis and Antimony. That was worrying, very worrying indeed. Finding a way to recalcinate the binding schemata had taken a whole night of work. Coupled with his regular visits as Doctor, this had drained Pyrhos' time and stamina. But now, Pyrhos was ready. And someone needed to be told.

His mind made up, he looked himself in the small mirror. A thin, tall half orc with very human black eyes and a flat nose looked back. Well dressed in traditional black pants and tight doublet, accompanied with a laced shirt, a stylish brimmed hat and his customary brown- beige cloak and pin, Pyrhos looked every inch the respectable doctor. Satisfied, he put on his supple gloves and wore his satchel.

Pyrhos strolled out of his small house, nodding to Mrs. Stonewheat on the opposite door. A guarded nod was his reply. Since he had helped her with her coughing fits, Mrs. Stonewheat had gone from fearfully scandalized to guardedly accepting.Pyrhos started walking in the direction of the palisade. He had only met Captain Harsk once, when a guard had broken his arm. That would have to do. Water supply was very important.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius
    On the eastern road, walking quietly but purposely, a small hooded figure makes his way towards the small village of Kinefti. A birdlike lizard is circling and swooping in the air around him. The man can see the "defensive" structures from afar, but he is far from impressed, as he was raised in an impregnable magical tower, and has seen the mightiest among the magical academies of the world. Still, he walks to join the defenders.

It has been two weeks since Longstrider, the ranger who saved his life as a child, enlisted his aid for the village. Two weeks of travel, and more and more he is feeling the brooding currents in the aether, the taint of conjuration gone amiss, blowing strong from the mountains. They must be the reason his mentor, a Good woman and wizard if ever there was one, declined to come and lend a hand. Beyond her calm appearance, her voice had shown a tinge of fear. Fear! Her! Was he completely insane in going where his mentor would not?

With such a somber thought in his mind, Lucius approaches a small gathering of young armed men (humanoids, really) near one of the palisade breaches. He pulls his hood back, hoping, probably in vain, to appear friendlier than a cloaked mysterious stranger. He is already past his prime, older than the band of young and foolish boys in front of him: does that make him a foolish old man? He hopes not.

His age is starting to show on his now exposed face, a freckled affair with hawk-like features surrounded by a throng of auburn hairs. His copperish eyes always make an impression, rarely positive, so he tries not to stare at people. No horns on his forehead, thankfully, to remind people of his fiendish heritage. That particular job is left to his stumped bat-wings and sinuous tail, that he tries to mask under his clothes.

He recognize, from the description made to him by Longstrider, one of the men standing there: he is a ranger himself, laden with weapons and prey, probably returning from a hunting trip. Without visible hurry, he introduces himself:

"Mr. Blacksmith, I assume? A pleasure to make your acquaintance, my name is Lucius, Lucius Brimstone actually, but please call me Lucius... Ahem... A very good friend of mine, who goes by the nickname of Longstrider (surely you know him, don't you?), told me of the plight this village finds itself into, and thus I came to help. Would you terribly mind to introduce me to the captain of the militia, so that I might offer him my services? Oh, did I mention that I am a Wizard? Well, I am. A wizard of little renown, sadly, but a wizard nonetheless. I'd offer to help you carry some of those dead animals you are holding, but I have troubling lifting anything more than my pants in the morning. Please forget i said that last bit... So, the captain?"

It is done: his name, his abilities, his request, everything important has been said in one, almost painful breath. He will not win any prizes for his speech, that is a given with his secluded upbringing and awkward personality, but that does not matter to him. When things get serious Logic, not Pathos, will sustain his words. Hopefully, that is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meanwhile, at the Ancient Academy of Wizardry ans Spellcraft:
    "I told you: we are not in the habit of divulging information about our students" wimpers the librarian under the stern gaze of the men in front of him, retreating farther and farther within his cushioned chair.
    "And I told you: I am not in the habit of being refused". Lex ''Burn'' Legis, witch hunter and demon hater, is actually enjoying this. Having retired from active duty half a century before, he missed the sight of arcane bookworms squirming at his sight. However, he cannot draw this out an further. He needs information on his quarry: born unto a Witch that he burned at the stake, this devilspawn misteriously vanished before his execution. That was the only spot in an otherwise flawless career as the scourge of the heavens, and could sometime keep him awake at night. It came as no surprise then when, having finally heard news of a wizard matching his description studying in this academy, he decided to take up again the mantle of the Inquisitor and finish what he had started long ago.
    "Nobody needs to know it was you who told me about it. Nobody will" he says, almost soothlingly. Then, more sternly: "You do not want to make an enemy out of me. I am the Law, and while the blood of heavens flows in my veins, today I am an Arbiter, for the man I seek has cheated death of her just prize and she requires reparation!"
    That is too much for the poor librarian. He caves, nodding and almost sobbing but relieved that this man will soon depart.
    "Good. I will need you to fetch me a magic item he crafted. Anything will do"
    "But...but... that's impossible. Not that I do not want to give it to you, mind you! I just do not know if there is any, or where to find it..."
    The words annoy Lex, but the Scourge of Haven is not so easily twarted.
    "Well, that means we have some serious work ahead of us, you and I..."
    The face of the librarian is by itself reward of his efforts. He will not fail.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-01-22 at 04:45 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

As he reached the wooden gates of the palisades, John spotted a gathering of young men of about his own age standing around. He walked over to them, threw back the hood of his cloak, and depositted some of his load on the ground besides him. As he tried to get an update what had happened in town while he had been trekking, his face softened somewhat, and he chatted with the others for a while, untill he heard someone approach him from behind. What greeted him was the sight of a seemingly harmless, if rather nervous stranger. He noted the shifty, coppery gaze, and narrowed his eyes, warning himself to be on his guard.
    As the stranger opened his mouth and introduced himself however, John's expression quickly went from suspicious, to pleasantly suprised at the mention of Longstrider, and at the amount of words Lucius could manage to speak, seemingly without breathing. He extended a barked and tanned fist in greeting, the skin tanned and leathery, with all the grime of two weeks of living in the wilds on it. "Pleased to meet you. Like you guessed, I'm John Blacksmith, and please, call me John." He said with a wry smile. He grabbed his packs from the ground without too much effort, evidence to his work in the smithing and training with weapons. "Of course I'll introduce you to the catain. I had something to tell him anyways, as it seems all the animals are fleeing the mountains. the frown was back in place on his face. "By this time of day, he is usually down by the headquarters on the other side of the gates." He walked off, and indicated for Lucius to follow. So you know Longstrider? 'Been a while since we've seen him out here, he just muttered something about a threat and then up and dissappeared one morning. I think it was around two moons ago. I've been wondering what he was up to."
    Last edited by TwelvePointFive; 2013-01-22 at 11:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

i run out past the headquarters of the palisade, calling a quick "Harsk, im signing up to man the wall, but, i just heard that the ranger is coming back soon, I'm gonna go say hi and see if he needs me to fix him up Again!" I say shirking at the captain as i pass, how the ranger can lighten my mood, as he always does, is a mystery that the sages of men and elves cannot bear to ponder, i think it has something to do with the fact that i am a healer, and i need to try to give him some happiness, as he seems to lack it so often, i run through the field and climb up to the top of the tower, only to see the ranger in conversation with a mysterious figure. i leap down and run out the gate of the palisade, sprinting toward the ranger, "so, did you bring back some food, cause i could go for some moose flank, do you need healing, cause im off duty, but i could make an exception if you have some-what the hell are you" i scream as i draw level with the ranger and the figure, and see beneath its cloak, i brandish my shield (which is also my holy symbol) and draw my sword, placing it at his throat "begone demon, in the name of lathander" i scream look to the ranger and ask "why were you speaking with this filth instead of killing it?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The joviality and friendliness of the ranger is a pleasant surprise. Apparently, Longstrider is a big shot around here, and well loved too. Lucius relaxes a little, and his speech slows as well:
    "So, the animals flee? Well, they must have more sense than we do, considering the influx of dark magic polluting the aether is coming from that direction. Can't you feel it? Did Longstrider warn you?

Anyway, I've known him for a very long while, even before he came to this town a century ago, and he has known me from even longer, for he saved me as a newborn and found me a good home.

So, imagine my joy and surprise to see him two weeks ago, when I returned home after a journey of my own from the Imperial Academy of Magic. I found him there, discussing with my mentor: he wanted her to come and help defend the city against this rising Evil, and she wanted to convince the people to flee their homes in the face of the still unknown threat.

For my part, I could not be happier to finally start repaying him for what he did, so I assured him of my own support. I believe he was doing a tour of all his old acquaintances, trying to enlist them as well. Considering he must be at least a few centuries old, this might still take a while. Hopefully, he will manage to convince some more before thing turn sour."

One elf approaches them. He courteously introduces himself as a local fighter and arcane practitioner. He seems friendly, happy to meet someone who shares his love for magic, and they exchange pleasantries.

The conversation is interrupted by a vibrant, enthusiast, but more than anything LOUD young woman in full battle gear coming festively in their direction. Lucius is about to greet this newcomer when he find himself on the ground, held at swordpoint. Too late he recognize the design of the shield: the holy symbol of Lathander, lord of the morning. He would sigh, if he were not afraid to graze his throat on the blade doing so.

"Please, stay your blade, I am not your enemy! In fact, I've come to help you! Really! You must believe me, I... help, John?" croaks Lucius, shaken by the vehemence of the young cleric. The friendliness of the ranger made him forget to be careful among strangers, but he will not repeat the mistake anytime soon.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-01-22 at 08:25 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Taleth approaches the group and bows as he greets them. "Greetings, my name is Taleth Cadrel, I have lived in this town for near fifty years and it would be a great honour to help defend with the skills I have learnt." He turns to Lucius, "I too am a mage of sorts, I am also learned in the arts of sword fighting and some archery." When the man jumps on Lucius, he pulls him off, unsheathing his blade. "I demand that you let my good friend Lucius up and do not harm him, he has not done anything to hurt you."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

When he noticed Iradli approaching during his comversation with Lucius, John had to repress a sigh. He berated himself, though. The priest was well-meaning, and sort of likeable, if in a slightly too chipper way. He was about to greet her, and say something about him not having been hurt, but wanting to give some of the deer he'd shot anyway, when she drew her sword all of a sudden, and started threathening Lucius, who promtly covered. Oh. Right. He'd forgotten about that. He supposed he should have been more suspicious of someone with obvious ties to the demons, but he couldn't bring himself to judge someone solely on behalf of their ancestry. With a few noticeable exceptions, of course. Murdering filth, those exceptions were. Also, he had mentioned Longstrider, a man whom he knew to know right from wrong, and this had done much to warm him to the stranger.
    Out loud, in a level tone, he said "Hello Iradli. I think you should lower your blade. I understand the sentiment behind your wish for immediate and violent action, though I don't share it in this instance. There are certainly those within the city, "filth" as you aptly name it, whom, if I came across them in the wilds, I'd kill without a second thought, savage scum as they are. It is argued that they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Shouldn't this apply to my new acquaintance as well, if it does to orcs and worse? He doesn't seem very hostile, does he?" When Taleth arrived, and had announced his intentions, John said "Also, it seems that there are those who wish to defend him. I beg you to stay your vengeance, as I stay mine." as an afterthought, he added "If for nothing else then for the sake of stability in the community"
    Last edited by TwelvePointFive; 2013-01-22 at 05:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

After a slight struggle, Mr. Henderson finally passed out. Sighing in relief, Baradox caught the man before he fell down. Being as careful as he could, he dragged the unconscious man into some shade. When he awoke, it would likely be near dusk and he would be near sober enough to appreciate not being left in the sun all day. Still frowning, he gathered his sack filled with bread and continued on his way.

To his dismay however, before he could pass the palisades, he came upon another group that seemed to be fighting. Rubbing his right temple, he quickly observed the scene. It appeared one of them had some sort minor and well concealed demonic heritage. Another seemed to be offended by that. Imagine that, hating another simply based on his race...how unusual he thought sarcastically.

Still frowning, he approached the group at a normal pace. "Gentlemen. Ma'am. There are laws in this town. You cannot just start attacking someone. I would suggest everyone here put their weapon away and calm down."
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2013-01-22 at 09:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

John Westwood walks into town, the wooden walls and gates a familiar sight now that he decided to stay awhile. Upon entry he notices a half elf in religious paraphernalia holding a small man at swordpoint.

He raises his blunderbuss shouting, HEY, NO FIGHTING!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius did not expect such a response from those around him. He has been in the capital, and experienced what they call racial tolerance but feels more like complete indifference. Here, at the edge of civilization, men act on their beliefs, and apparently in this town folks believe in giving people a chance before brutally murdering them.

The young woman in front of him seems to waver against such a response from the public, so Lucius braves some soothing words himself:
    "Child, temper your anger and hear the words of those around you. I applaud your dedication and appreciate your vigor, for it will serve this town well. However, I fear your young age has played a trick on you. Prey tell me, how many Tieflings have you met in your life, that you pass judgment so easily? I'd be surprised if I were not the first, as we are few and far between. You still see the world in black and white, angels and demons, good and evil. In fact, the real world is mostly shades of gray, while black and white are exceedingly rare. With time you will come to realize the truth of my worlds." Or not, for some never learn, but he does not say that aloud.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-01-22 at 08:24 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #15

Harsk, the captain of the guard comes running at the group, screaming "Iradli, Iradli, what are you doing girl!" he pulls her off and looks her in the eyes, saying calmly "girl, if yer gonna man the walls, yer gonna have to curb yer enthusiasm. this man is guilty of no crime except undesirable ancestry, you must wish you had a proper father, rather than the deadbeat you had. i wish i didn't have uncle myrtok, who was caught trying to mate a manticor and a delver to create a subterranean horror to attack drow, and i believe he is not proud of his dark heritage, so stand down, and if he proves to be a threat, I'll bash his skull in myself."
    Last edited by tardisvalkyrie; 2013-01-22 at 07:27 PM.
    There’s an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom and consolation to the soul in times of need Allons-y!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Iradli offers the small demon ancestored-man her hand, saying "sorry friend, you are the first tiefling I've met, and you can't be blamed for you ancestry" she turns toward harsk "yes i would like to sign on with the guard, im sorry for my hastiness in attacking an ally of the town. in the future i will always weigh my actions more carefully." and finally she turns to the group and says "so, I'm signing on to the palisade, anyone else wanna, i will probably get lonely out here for so long on my own, i could use a friend" she looks pointedly at the ranger, batting her eyelashes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius accepts the woman's hand, more than a bit relieved. He dusts off his clothes, and his tail darts out of his breeches to retrieve a scroll that fell on the ground during this confrontation and put it back in his backpack.

"Apology accepted. I suppose this is a way like any other to break the ice between fellow militants...".

Then, to the captain: "I suppose we could do away with a formal introduction, considering the ruckus I caused must have been clearly audible from ten paces away. In any case, my name is Lucius, and I hope to be of service to you and your town. While not much of a combattant myself, i'm sure your other man will come to appreciate my presence here".
    "And should you find yourself with a little spare time to relax, I would love to hear more about your uncle Myrtok. He sounds like a delightfully ingenious man" he adds, mirth in his voice.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #18

Harsk turns to the group and says "well, looks like i got two recruits, any other takers." he turns to the ranger, saying "it would offer a chance to slay orcs by the dozen, with lessened threat of death, as you would have backup" he turns to the magus and says "you could hone both the arcane and martial arts in such a place" he turns to the alchemist and says " it would give you many test subjects and targets for you concoctions benign and malicious" he turns to MR. westwood and says "nothing like target practice to hone yer skill, and there ain't no better targets than goblins, the run fast, are small, and squeal when they're hit", and finally her turns to baradox and says "here is an opertunity to be know for you skills, not your parentage, and when your parentage is called into question at the palisade, they don't take it so bad if you punch their lights out"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin shrugs at the captains offer. He was a sly one. "It matters not to me what others think. However when the time comes, I would help defend this town regardless. So if I am not expected to wear armor or a uniform, you have my aid."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Westwood puts away his gun grinning and saying, Well, I did come out here looking for interesting work. This seems interesting enough. I'm in.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrhos

Pyrhos came late into the scene, his walk a bit leisurely. On the way, he saw from a distance Mr. Henderson provoke the hobgoblin monk again, and stopped to slip the now unconscious drunk a leaf of paratheria under the tongue, so that his headache would be manageable when he woke up. Mr. Henderson always knew who did these things for him.

Arriving at the palisade, Pyrhos is surprised to see a rather unusual convergence of people, some with weapons drawn. Iradli he knew, that girl 's temper and friendship equally bright. John Westwood he had met when they briefly discussed about his ammunition. Nervously checking the fit of his gloves, he very cautiously approaches when the dwarven captain diffused the situation. And, as is his want, he ended up with a group of semi- strangers in close proximity, with nothing to say. Well, introductions were in order, apparently.

" I am Pyrhos Stylicho, Doctor of Chymistry and Medicine, at your service" Small bow. "I am not sure for what are we joining up, but there is something, captain, which is urgent I talk with you about. It concerns the safety of this town. If I am not mistaken, some of these gentlemen have distressingly similar news. Perhaps we should adjourn somewhere to put our knowledge together?"

Pyrhos' cultivated and deep voice seems strange when coming out from the tall, thin half orc. He then unconsciously takes a mint out of a small box and starts chewing it, waiting for a response. Soon, the mint 's smell mingles with that of spice, sulfur and flowers surrounding Pyrhos.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Likewise, doctor. A pleasure." Ah, some manners at last, balancing the rustic flavor of some of the locals.

"The captain here is worried about the next goblin raid and is forming a permanent militia to protect the town. That seems to be the most pressing concern.

However, as I was discussing with Mr. Blacksmith here, we did detect clues about some strange happenings in the west. For my part, I feel a dark magical gathering towards the mountain, and if you were to tell me that Evil is brewing in the west I would believe you.

Indeed, perhaps it would be best to share news and discuss tactics somewhere."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-01-23 at 03:30 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

John was glad that the conflict had been resolved. As always, the half-elf threw him slightly off-kilter. He stared at her for a moment, before remembering himself. "Of course I'll help defend my home." Especially from the vile creatures we will be fighting. He looked at the doctor and the the monk, frowning, but resolved not to let their presence disturb him. To the captain, he said: "I bring distressing news from the wilds. The animals are fleeing the mountains in great numbers; It seems something foul is brewing in the west."
    Last edited by TwelvePointFive; 2013-01-23 at 09:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, that would kinda explain the lack of activity, the wood's been strangely quiet recently." Westwood says, stowing away his blunderbuss.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrhos

Pyrhos gives darting glances around, to see if they are being overheard.

"Gentleman ... and ladies! Is it wise to speak of such things here in the open? Perhaps we should adjourn to somewhere more private?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, doctor. There is really no real need for secrecy: who could possibly be listening that we would not want to be head by, and who does not already know what is happening? Are you afraid that panic will take hold upon the fistful of souls that call this place home? I quite doubt it."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #27

Taleth sheathes his sword and bows at the group. "It would be an honour to serve alongside you and protect the home we all hold dear, though, I too have sensed strange things in the plants recently, it is calm, too calm and I have a feeling that things are going to get bad and soon. Will we be working together, us seven? If we are then we should know each other, both battle tactics and skills, as well as knowing each other on a personal level. Most of you probably know me as Taleth Cadral, bounty hunter, but that is not all, I am an elf and have lived in this town for almost fifty years, before I lived in the wilderness around, so I know these areas well. My mother and father were descendants of a great noble family in my homelands and I strive to visit my ancestors home." He looks at the rest of you. "I hope we will get to know each other."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Iradli says "i had a vision granted to me by lathander, it had a red dawn in the west, over the mountains, and i saw horrible things in those mountain, i saw demons and dark armies and horror beyond, i never want to see something like that again" she flings her arms around the ranger, whimpering with fear (and possibly ulterior motives)

29. - Top - End - #29

"Do not worry, I shall protect you and everyone else. On my honour and my ancestors', I swear that I shall protect our home or die trying."
    Last edited by Thattaman; 2013-01-23 at 02:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrhon

Pyrhon hears the news and a frown covers his features.

"I am afraid my own findings concur with the ill tidings. The town's water supply has been slightly tainted. I found traces of Caput Mortuus, Alkali Regis and... "

seeing the faces he quickly skips that part

"...other elements that are to be found when large scale mining operations take place. Also, there were traces of spellcasting components and of rotting organic matter. And it came from the mountains.

Taken all together, it is I think a given that something bad is stirring up there. And it is driving, or collaborating with, the various barbaric denizens of the land"

And with that, Pyrhos once again fidgets with his gloves and fixes his attire, nervous.