New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Webcomics rank by artwork

http://www.listal.com/list/webcomic-art
    I made it. Only 7 ppl on the site read books so i let the list go a bit. In fact you can disregard "ranked by artwork" for most of the placement. What comics am I missing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Webcomics rank by artwork

What exactly are you ranking them by then? Because it can't be "art" if Goblins is anywhere near the top 10.

Is this just a collection of webcomics you like?
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2012-09-30 at 10:29 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    What exactly are you ranking them by then? Because it can't be "art" if Goblins is anywhere near the top 10.

That was what I was thinking, lol.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

No that is the other list and really piperka : http://piperka.net/profile.html?name=ran88dom99 is better. This list is just kind of unkempt/developed/repaired. Goblins gets some points for making me feel a bit ill the first time I saw it's art. That is uniqueness right there. Also quantity.
    Last edited by ran88dom99; 2012-09-30 at 05:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

goblins art , while simplistic drawing, especially the last year, has a LOT of depth, shading, excellent capture of motion and action, and great attention to anatomy. I personally WOULD rank it near the top when it comes to current comic art today.

I would add Crossed (also written by Warren Ellis, I noticed you already have freakangels)

Weapon Brown http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/2012/...pon-brown-332/

Tune http://www.tunecomic.com/ I especially love the floating panels on a starfield background.

theres a comic out there, I can't remember the name, about an artist in art school who starts drawing a dancer that he falls in love with, I can't remember the name but the art is WONDERFUL.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    I would add Crossed (also written by Warren Ellis, I noticed you already have freakangels)

Weapon Brown http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/2012/...pon-brown-332/

theres a comic out there, I can't remember the name, about an artist in art school who starts drawing a dancer that he falls in love with, I can't remember the name but the art is WONDERFUL.
    You mean this;? http://www.crossedcomic.com/category/chapters/ Who is the artist? Like i said this is by art i don't like many of these comics. EDIT: many of the comics in may list. About a third.

Where is the beginning of Brown? Piperka moves me to deep fried.

could not find artist loves dancer
    Last edited by ran88dom99; 2012-10-14 at 12:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Tossing up "Romantically Apocalyptic" out there.....I don't know how they make it that realistic and detailed.

It doesn't FEEL like photoshop....

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Tossing up "Romantically Apocalyptic" out there.....I don't know how they make it that realistic and detailed.

It doesn't FEEL like photoshop....
    already on the list at the link! But yeah, good call, they are awesome. And, its a combo art. They actually took pictures of the people in costumes, some of it at actual abandoned buildings and stuff. Most of it on green screens though, then they draw and shop in backgrounds, and add softening filters and effects. They did a step by step tutorial once showing it, its linked on one of the comics.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

goblins art , while simplistic drawing, especially the last year, has a LOT of depth, shading, excellent capture of motion and action, and great attention to anatomy. I personally WOULD rank it near the top when it comes to current comic art today.
    And I would respectfully disagree. Thunt's art is not great, as his characters are lumpy sacks of blood and playdough. I'd rank Goblins much lower. But that's also just my opinion.

And I don't know how you can have a list like this and not have Lackadaisy Cats there. The art in that one is it's main draw, since it's updates very, very slowly.

Some others for ya.

Property of Hate
    Feral Gentry
    Paranatural
    The now concluded, Digger

Edit: You put Goblins over Rice Boy, Dead Winter, Manly Guys, and some of these other comics. I'll be honest, I'm biased and very much dislike Goblins, but I don't think it should be so high.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-10-14 at 05:35 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

There's a difference between "paying attention" to and "being good at".

A few notes on Goblins:

1. It actually is not simplistic. Simplicity has a level of elegance to it, like OOTS or a lot of the designs in Gunnerkrigg court. The shading/colouring has been extremely simplistic for a long time, but the actual art itself? Not really.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by depth, so I'll skip that one.

3. Shading has thankfully actually been added to a point of significance, but outside of the recent battle near the fire it has never been a significant attribute of Goblins art.

4. Excellent capture of motion and action ... I'll give you that it does try to push things, and generally doesn't do a bad job at doing so. Fair enough.

5.Great attention to anatomy is a big no, nonononono. No. No.

You do not, I repeat, do not praise Goblins for it's anatomy.

I can't even understand what you base this point on, do you really look at a page of the Goblins comic and think? "Man this person has a perfect understanding of how anatomy works!" ? I really don't see how this made it onto your list.

As Rhasph described it seems quite fitting:
    as his characters are lumpy sacks of blood and playdough
    Every character in Goblins has the same sort of blobby build and feel to them. Is your character a ranger? make him a blob. Is your character a giant troll? Make him a blob. Is your character some hot female fighter? Blob with boobies.

It's good that "hair" generally isn't considered part of anatomy, because I could write an entire essay on what's wrong with Goblin's palette of exactly 1 hair type ever. (Fuzzy moss.)

There are positive parts to Goblin's art for sure, but I don't see how any of them are solid enough for it to make it on any top 10 art in webcomics list.

Especially when comics like Lackadasies apparently aren't on that list.
    Last edited by Neoriceisgood; 2012-10-14 at 05:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

New rule!!:: Whenever you suggest a comic give a link to the exact page you would want to be in the list. Also do this if you think a comic is low.

Paranatural and lackadaisy are in though lackadaisy looks like it will be low. Please see above rule to fix recently mentioned upset.

Manly guys has the most common art that is good enough to be on the list. Moved dead winter up 12 cause i accidentally ran into animation.

I don't agree with gentry and digger. property of hate is in. too few pages

For future arguments the 'ideal' ranking formula is #pages * (effort per page + Uniqueness of art design or style + success of art design or style). Note that success is not critical. Pages effort and uniqueness are enough. Though i do wonder how #4 would be counted.
    Last edited by ran88dom99; 2012-10-14 at 01:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ran88dom99 View Post
    New rule!!:: Whenever you suggest a comic give a link to the exact page you would want to be in the list. Also do this if you think a comic is low.
    Okay, well since you want a page, and you seem to like action and conveyed movement.

Page

Anywho, I'm not sure I agree with your list even with these changes, but to each his own.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post

That was what I was thinking, lol.
    Me too. If this list is supposed to be about artwork quality then I see a number of questionable choices on there. If the list is just "webcomics that I like", then well done but I fail to see the point of that.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I have already replied to above. Even if you are right there are two points. Can you guess them? The picture is an example for me to rank by and for the casual passer by to get interested in.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

So what kind of point system do you use?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I have already replied to above. Even if you are right there are two points. Can you guess them? The picture is an example for me to rank by and for the casual passer by to get interested in.
    Okay, you said that you're listing comics whose art made you ill. It follows, then, that you are making a list of comics with bad artwork, in which case you still have numerous questionable entries on that list. For instance, I cannot agree with you that multiple-award-winning Girl Genius has bad artwork.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

17. - Top - End - #17

Spinnerette should be on the list:

http://www.spinnyverse.com/2010/04/26/04262010/
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

A bit incomplete and mostly unimplemented cause i need to get # of pages for every comic.

But you can agree with the rest of my choices?

For spinneret and all future suggestions ; cover pages not accepted and it would be nice if you could tell me how many pages in total the comic has. Otherwise i will check piperka.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, this is a listing of bad artwork in webcomics?

Now the list just confuses me even more.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #20

A bit incomplete and mostly unimplemented cause i need to get # of pages for every comic.

But you can agree with the rest of my choices?

For spinneret and all future suggestions ; cover pages not accepted and it would be nice if you could tell me how many pages in total the comic has. Otherwise i will check piperka.
    Fine! Spinnerette has 12 issues for a total of 372 pages, not counting the ongoing issue 13.

And here Spinny tries on her costume for the first time:
    http://www.spinnyverse.com/2010/04/05/04052010/
    Last edited by Miklus; 2012-10-16 at 11:35 AM.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Wait, this is a listing of bad artwork in webcomics?

Now the list just confuses me even more.
    No kidding. Here I am suggesting Hugo award winners and Lackadaisy Cats, and this list is suppose to be about bad art.

Fine.
    The whole of Dominic Deegan
    Ctrl Alt Delete

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Thank you its in. The art gets more detailed later on though. Aside from some character designs i don't see the uniqueness or quality though.

I need to rethink the whole quantity factor. Schlock mercenary would become #1 otherwise. Like I'm thinking sqrt(#pg) * (other factors). Also # of pages counts for quantity so Dresden Codac's pages count for maybe 3 regular pages.

Do link to these "Hugo webcomic awards". Eagles: http://www.listal.com/list/webcomic-awards.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

If you're doing anything with square root of page numbers, then you need to include YAFGC, Arthur KOTAS, Irregular Webcomic, Namir Deiter, Schlock Mercenary, and Mezzacotta. Especially Mezzacotta.

However, combining an objective metric (page count) with a subjective one (comics with bad art) doesn't work. For more insight about bad art, I suggest YWIBAYSFB and the Bad Webcomics Wiki.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

How many of these lists are you doing exactly? Because you started with a list of webcomics by art, and then when I mentioned an award you've got another list for that.

You might have too many lists my friend. Anyway, the comic Digger that I mentioned won a Hugo Award this year.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    And I would respectfully disagree. Thunt's art is not great, as his characters are lumpy sacks of blood and playdough. I'd rank Goblins much lower. But that's also just my opinion.

And I don't know how you can have a list like this and not have Lackadaisy Cats there. The art in that one is it's main draw, since it's updates very, very slowly.

Some others for ya.

Property of Hate
    Feral Gentry
    Paranatural
    The now concluded, Digger

Edit: You put Goblins over Rice Boy, Dead Winter, Manly Guys, and some of these other comics. I'll be honest, I'm biased and very much dislike Goblins, but I don't think it should be so high.
    Its been a while since enough goblins comics came up for me too see what most of the art is like. If all of the art was as good as the one picture in the list, Goblins would have scored higher than anything but Rice Boy. Edit: and it went down.

Picture for Paranatural. Tell me when Feral gentry hits 50 pages. Maybe give a picture for property of hate though i can do it myself. Digger: 800pg If you were to give an award to a webcomic would it be Digger? Yes its unique but it goes to the end of the queue. Dead winter>Lackadaisy

(comics with bad art) Good joke keep repeating it. Dilbert Dracken. How did you manage to miss all the fetish ones?
    Last edited by ran88dom99; 2012-10-17 at 05:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm also curious what the ranking system was. There are some real head scratchers in that list - slightly damned being one for sure.

Not sure about the 3D comics either... it's weird to group those with hand drawn art. Of those, the Dreamland Chronicles is the only one that stands up IMO.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

See the text at the right of the list. I don't believe in pageviews so until i get feedback i put each comic by the formula +-where ever i feel like.

There's only 2 3d comics... right? Maybe 3D and animated should have separate lists.
    Last edited by ran88dom99; 2012-11-06 at 07:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Garth Ennis was the one who wrote the original Crossed. I'm not sure that Warren Ellis has ever worked on it, though he has worked with Jacen Burrows (the original print artist, not the current one that's doing the web published stuff.

Frankly, I'd also have put Freakangels quite high on a list like this, it's print quality comic art by a professional comic artist, that means it's consistent across the run, unlike ones that start out terrible and eventually get competent, and it has a lot of detail that most webcomics would skip over that give a great impression of ruined but lived in Whitechapel.

(there's also something to be said for it's update schedule, six full colour professional quality comic pages a week is not something that most webcomics manage).

29. - Top - End - #29

I don't think so.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is just a list of webcomics you read, isn't it?

Anyway, ere's a couple of webcomics I think have nice artwork:

Friends with Boys

Dead Winter

Red Moon Rising

The Becoming

Kukuburi
    "Conan what is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, to sell them inexpensive furniture you can assemble yourself with an Allen wrench. And meatballs."
    "Meatballs. That is good!"