Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 55
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Springs
    Gender
    Male

    Default Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    OoC Thread

    15th of Tandolth. 2300 Hours.

    The rain beats down as the squad emerges from their bunker. It’s a freezing, starless night, fit for no man or beast.

    “Isn’t it perfect!”

    A gnome, his leather jacket and flight goggles marking him as an aviator and his epaulets marking him as a Major, steps toward you. Although he’s obviously soaked by the rain, his goateed face is enthusiastic.

    “It’ll be hell, for sure, but the flight will be hard to spot, and with this weather, the enemy is unlikely to be sending out aerial patrols. Major Zindel, by the way.”
    The gnome gives a quick salute.“Let’s get to the aviary. The flight crew is still affixing the insulated barding, but we should be on schedule.”

    The squad marches behind the gnome, heading towards the barn-like building at the other end of the field. The rain shows no sign of stopping, and the path has become but mud. Yet, the team presses on. Entering the aviary is a relief, because although the building is cold, it’s at least dry. They see around twenty airmen working with a half-dozen green drakes, apparently affixing the aforementioned barding. Three more gnomes and two dwarves, all decked out in flight gear, are sitting at a table next to the aviary’s wall, chatting amongst themselves.

    The Major checks his watch. “We have twenty minutes till take-off, men!” he shouts towards the aviators. They scramble out of their seats, heading to do last minute inspections of their beasts.

    The barn door creaks open again, and the Commander, his beard dripping rainwater, enters. He hands a small something to Doel, and then leaves without uttering a word.

    “Prepare to board,” calls Zindel, “we’re heading out!”

    16th of Tandolth. 0300 Hours.

    The rain has no let up since the team became airborne. Each team member is riding on one of the drakes, behind its aviator. Major Zindel and his drake lead the flight, with the other drakes arranged in a V formation behind it.

    “You guys know the drill for the Drop!” Major Zindel shouts, his voice barely audible over the wind. “Take the Feather Fall wafer, and store it in your cheek! As soon as you jump, begin counting! When you get to one hundred, bite the wafer! You got that!”

    You see Mount Underholme, standing tall above its neighboring peaks. Once, it was lit by the city that runs though it, but now, all was dark.

    “On my mark, jump!” the Major calls out.

    “Mark!”

    Obeying his commands, each member of the team throws himself off the drakes, which immediately pinwheel, heading back towards the base.

    One hundred seconds later, the team floats gently to the ground, with each member of the squad within about 300ft. . They have landed in wooden terrain, and the base of the mountain is about 4 miles to the northeast.

    What do you do?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Boric is happy to be on solid ground again and takes a moment to gather his bearings and looks around to see if he can spot any of the others. If he can't see anyone he tries to recall where they were just before he landed and heads towards the nearest one that is in a north easterly direction. He's not deliberately making noise but he's also not moving stealthily until the group has connected together.

    Muttering under his breath "Hurrumph, should've arranged a place to meet up before hurling ourselves off those scaled monstrosities. T'aint right for a gnome to fly. T'aint right at all."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check (1d20+1)[4] to see or hear anyone else
    Survival check (1d20+9)[28] to actually find the others from their tracks
    Knowledge geography check (1d20+6)[12] so that I don't wander off in the wrong direction I keep an eye on landmarks.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-08-22 at 12:52 AM.
    Current status: I'm so sick I feel like Ferris Bueller's keyboard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chained Birds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ☢CAUTION☢
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Doel

    As the team gets together, Captain Doel glances around the area for a moment, and looks over his team for any injuries. Once he is certain everyone has arrived and no one has any injuries that will compromise the mission, he begins to speak in his usual gruff tone.

    "Ah' Attention! I, Captain Hammerfell, have received a mission statement from Commander Oleg. Our first objective is to enter the City-Mount without detection by any means. I'm looking to all of you to behave and not get too full of yourselves and mess up.
    In order to ensure that we are able to communicate with one another without being noticed, I want each of you to accept this minor pact to become a part of my Collective. Within the Collective, you'll be able to ask for healing if needed and, more importantly, gain the ability to speak telepathically with the other members.
    "

    Doel then holds out a hand and places it on each member individually, establishing them a part of the group. Speaking to them telepathically from here on out,

    "Get comfortable speaking to each other in this manner, as it will be essential to relaying important information. Keep in mind also that the Collective only goes out to about 160ft from me, so only venture out of the area if you've notified me, and/or the rest of the unit, in advance.
    Now, Intelligence suggests that the city's flood-tunnels, located at the western base of the mountain, empty into a slough that may or may not be filled. This weather may neutralize this passage, though it may be our only way in even of it is dangerous.
    Other entrances include the main gates, or a mattering of minor tunnels, but these are further up the slope and more likely to be guarded. If we take either of these paths, we'll most likely have to engage the enemy. I'm not looking for loud behavior at these times or the use of any spells or mundane items that would cause loud noises or bright lights. They have hostages, so remember that the safety of everyone in there is our prime objective.
    Our first step is to check the Flood-tunnels to see if they are a viable entrance.
    "
    Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Iron Victory's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Thrice damned drakes… Skeller never liked flying. He needed his feet on the ground with a roof of stone overhead. It baffled the inquisitor how Freya could be so calm during the drops, good training he supposed. Upon landing, Skeller checks his gear, making sure none was lost in the jump. He stays low, and approaches Captain Hammerfell, flashing a brief salute. Accepting the Collective without question, Skeller listens patiently and intently as his orders are conveyed. “Understood, sir” he rattles off through the psychic link.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception Check: (1d20+14)[20]
    [To make sure our insertion went unnoticed]

    Survival Check: (1d20+13)[30]
    [To get the lay of the land]
    Last edited by Iron Victory; 2012-08-24 at 12:34 AM.
    Avatar by the fabulous Kid Kris.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Brandor glanced down from the drake he was one, his goggles making it difficult to see, but at least progecting his eyes from the wind and rain. He could barely make out the mountain in the distance, the storm cutting visibility drastically. After about four hours of flight, Brandor heard a faint call through the wind; his rider turned and pointed down, yelling, "It's time! Watch for my mark!" Brandor kept his eyes on the man's arm, and when it sliced downward, Brandor fell backwards, arms folded over his chest.

    Rolling his body over, Brandor turned his head towards the ground and rocketed towards the drop zone. Moving his arms to his side, and keeping his legs tight, he counted down as he sped through the air. He waited until it was obvious the ground was rushing forward before breaking the wafer in his mouth.

    Immediately, his body slowed, and using his arms to guide himself, he made aimed himself towards the target. Once he touched the ground, he immediately headed for the rally point, using the storm and the dark to keep himself as hidden as possible.

    Soon, the unit was gathered, and the Captain came forward.

    "Ah' Attention! I, Captain Hammerfell, have received a mission statement from Commander Oleg. Our first objective is to enter the City-Mount without detection by any means. I'm looking to all of you to behave and not get too full of yourselves and mess up.

    In order to ensure that we are able to communicate with one another without being noticed, I want each of you to accept this minor pact to become a part of my Collective. Within the Collective, you'll be able to ask for healing if needed and, more importantly, gain the ability to speak telepathically with the other members.
    "

    Brandor stood impassively as Doel touched his arm to establish the link.

    "Get comfortable speaking to each other in this manner, as it will be essential to relaying important information. Keep in mind also that the Collective only goes out to about 160ft from me, so only venture out of the area if you've notified me, and/or the rest of the unit, in advance.
    Now, Intelligence suggests that the city's flood-tunnels, located at the western base of the mountain, empty into a slough that may or may not be filled. This weather may neutralize this passage, though it may be our only way in even of it is dangerous.
    Other entrances include the main gates, or a mattering of minor tunnels, but these are further up the slope and more likely to be guarded. If we take either of these paths, we'll most likely have to engage the enemy. I'm not looking for loud behavior at these times or the use of any spells or mundane items that would cause loud noises or bright lights. They have hostages, so remember that the safety of everyone in there is our prime objective.
    Our first step is to check the Flood-tunnels to see if they are a viable entrance.
    "

    Nodding to the Captain, his thoughts evoked general acknowledgment, vice any words. Knowing his role was that of scout, in addition to being the sniper, Brandor stepped forward to recon the area.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+14)[23]
    Perception: (1d20+16)[34]
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ji9zo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Stalker lands on all fours, keeping himself close to the ground, his teeth grinding the wafer in his mouth to a fine paste. As the other Duergar starts talking he slowly begins to clamber to his feet and towards the voice. Odd, he thought, That a man might take such a name while aware of it's futility. He doesn't make a point of voicing this to the captain, however, as it would no doubt be equally futile. Once the captain finished talking and touched everyone, Stalker begins prowling around the area as quietly as he can.

    "Where are the flood tunnels from here?"

    He asks through the link, if he can.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Mordecai takes the mental link and sets to work. His attention is first drawn to double checking his inventory, making sure nothing dislodged during the fall. After checking his supplies to his satisfaction, Mordecai goes to help scout the area ahead with Brandor.

    "Good to be walkin' on solid ground 'gain, eh?" Mordecai says quietly to Brandor while loading his gun with an alchemical paper cartridge. "Name's Mordecai, by the way. We didn't get much time for introducin' ourselves earlier, what with the plummetin' to the ground and all. See anythin'?"

    Mordecai surveys the landscape as well, giving a second pair of eyes to the initial scouting. The Dwarf is used to being on point, and he falls quickly back into his old duties.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception
    (1d20+12)[26]
    Stealth
    (1d20+13)[25] +1 if this is a hilly or rocky area.

    It'll say +9 for stealth, but I haven't switched in the bonus from the Highlander trait yet. Will do tonight, I promise!
    Last edited by pyrocide; 2012-08-23 at 04:16 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Brandor nodded to the other man, remembering the quick brief they had been given on the members of the team. He glanced at the weapon Mordecai held, remember the Captain's admonishment against loud or flashy spells or equipment. Shrugging inwardly, he continued to move forward, until in the uncomfortable silence, he realized the other dwarf was waiting on him for something.

    Glancing back, he thought back through the link, "Brandor"
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Springs
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by hoverfrog View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check [roll0] to see or hear anyone else
    Survival check [roll1] to actually find the others from their tracks
    Knowledge geography check [roll2] so that I don't wander off in the wrong direction I keep an eye on landmarks.
    You easily find the others after moving through some of the brush.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Victory View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception Check: [roll0]
    [To make sure our insertion went unnoticed]
    Survival Check: [roll1]
    [To get the lay of the land]
    It's difficult to hear or see anything in the storm, but you don't find any sign of other humaniods. The dense woods you landed in, which are mainly composed of various confiers, primarily spruce and pine, seem to run along the side of a shallow valley which runs north-south. Although you don't see it, it's easy to assume that a stream or river runs through the valley, from north to south, per your estimates of elevation change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: [roll0]
    Perception: [roll1]
    You see the same things as Skeller, although, looking upwards, for a second, you swear that you say something moving up in the sky, momentarily illuminated by a flash of lightning. It could just be one of the drakes, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocide View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception
    [roll0]
    Stealth
    [roll1] +1 if this is a hilly or rocky area.
    It'll say +9 for stealth, but I haven't switched in the bonus from the Highlander trait yet. Will do tonight, I promise!
    You see the same things as Skeller.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    As the two dwarves moved quietly through the trees, Brandor glanced up, goggles now pushed back onto his forehead. He froze suddenly as he saw a shadow briefly illuminated by the lightning. Holding up a fist, he signaled for Mordecai to halt, then slowly pointed in the direction of the shadow.

    Over the link, his thought quietly, "Overhead recon ... caution." Reaching back into his quiver, he slowly pulled out his longbow and waited for the shadow to show itself again. As an archer, he had learned the art of patience - this mission was for naught if they were detected before they reached the city.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brandor will wait for at least five minutes before continuing to move ahead. Not sure of what the rest of the group is doing, but I'm guessing that Mordecai and Brandor are on point, with the others following a hundred feet or so behind (within comms, but far enough away to let us scout).
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Iron Victory's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Upon hearing Brandor's warning, Skeller drops low. Moving to cover, he gestures for his hound to do the same. The dwarf's steely grey eyes scan the night sky. He despised being on the surface, shaking every time lightning cut through the sky. This was the first storm in Skeller's near-century of life. He pulls his cloak closer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth [Skeller]: (1d20+18)[31]
    Stealth [Freya]: (1d20+12)[14]
    Perception [Skeller]:(1d20+14)[30]
    Perception [Freya]:(1d20+1)[14] [scent]
    Who knows, she might smell something.
    Last edited by Iron Victory; 2012-08-24 at 12:35 AM.
    Avatar by the fabulous Kid Kris.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Hopefully it's not too late to hide thinks Boric as he slides down to the earth in a crouch and freezes in place, one hand in his haversack ready to pull out a wand. He doesn't so much as move until a mental signal from the scouts ahead gives the all clear but keeps an eye and an ear out for threats.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+9)[26]
    Perception (1d20+1)[6]
    Current status: I'm so sick I feel like Ferris Bueller's keyboard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chained Birds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ☢CAUTION☢
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Doel

    The captain is hanging back about 100 or so feet away from the scouts. He knows his own abilities to remain stealthy are nowhere near that of the others.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+3)[14]
    Perception: (1d20+12)[26]
    Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Receiving the mental warning, Mordecai darts to a tree and puts his back against the trunk. Using the branches to hide him from flying observation, the dwarf scans the skies for any potential threats.

    (I'm going to assume my last perception check was for spotting it, so I won't roll again)

    Keep to the trees, Mordecai says to the group through the link, Anything above us is going to have a hard time seeing us move through the storm and the brush. Let's get moving. Mordecai waits for confirmation of his suggestion, or another visual, before moving again.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ji9zo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Stalker moves close to the ground following the others. At the mention of "overhead recon" he doesn't bother looking up, his eyes continue to scour the darkness ahead of him.

    "An' how far hence?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception and stealth because everyone seems to be doing it.

    Stealth - (1d20+18)[26]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[21]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Springs
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Although you continue to watch the skies, you don't see any more movement. The storm seems to be getting worse, though. You begin to feel and hear the light tapping of tiny hailstones.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Iron Victory's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    The dwarf waits a few minutes before calling out through the mental link, "I see nothing. Even if there an aerial recon, the storm will hinder them." Disgruntled by the worsening weather, Skeller advances in front of the group, "With your permission Captain, I'd like to scout ahead. I can guide us to the flood-tunnels.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+18)[37]
    Perception: (1d20+14)[29]
    Survival: (1d20+13)[15] [cut Skeller some slack... thunder is scary ]
    [to not get lost in the storm]

    Freya:Stealth (1d20+12)[32]
    Last edited by Iron Victory; 2012-08-26 at 12:06 AM.
    Avatar by the fabulous Kid Kris.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Brandor watched patiently, but his group started to get antsy, wanting to push forward. When the inquisitor pushed ahead, stating he would be the scout and find the tunnels, Brandor simply crouched in his spot, waiting for the Captain to respond. If his own skills had already been found lacking due to his concern over being detected, then so be it ... such were the ways of war.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standing by for whatever role the Captain deems is within his skill-set, since it turns out that Brandor is actually a worse sneak than the guy in a breastplate.
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    "If required I hide a few of us with invisibility but as it only lasts for six minutes I'd like to reserve that until we have enemies in sight," Boric's mental communication is for everyone, "This weather works against such magics though. Foot shapes in puddles, rain bouncing off someone who cannot be seen and the chill of misted breath all make it less that perfect."
    Current status: I'm so sick I feel like Ferris Bueller's keyboard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chained Birds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ☢CAUTION☢
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Doel

    "All-right, let's move on out to the Flood-Tunnels. I'd like for the more stealthy members to have at least a 100ft lead from noisy people like me. But be wary of traps."

    Doel gives his orders and sends the stealthiest and most perceptive members to the front.
    Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Springs
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    The teams heads on into the forest, heading northeast towards the city mount. The storm continues to grow, and hail beats down on the group. The forest offers some cover, but the ground continues to become muddier and muddier, and by the second mile of marching, the ground is all but a swamp.

    After about two hours of marching, and around two and a half miles of travel, as the team heads over a crest, the scouts notice somethin unusual. There is a tall towering structure about 200ft. away. Although the storm obscures sight, the tower looms over the forest, making clearly visible from where the team is standing. It's now possible to see why the scouts haven't noticed it before. It seems that the tower has been camoflauged. Tree boughs have secured to the tower, making it seem to be a tree from a distance, if an abnormally tall one.

    The team sees that the tower does not bear the banner of the Kingdom, but can't make out any more detail without further examination.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    The trek thus far had been arduous, doubly so with the weather. When the signal to stop came across the Collective, he paused, digesting the information on the tower. Obviously the team would have to deal with the situation, but a couple of questions rose immediately to the surface. Could they go around, or would it be too time-consuming? Did the tower provide visibility on the flood-tunnels? Did it look to be manned currently? Brandor simply summed up his questions to the group as, "Disposition and status?"

    There were corollary questions that would eventually be address ... entrances into the tower, whether there were ranging patrols or standing guards, what kind of forces were here, what types of detection magics were in place ...

    With that thought occuring, Brandor focused his thoughts towards Boric. "Mage, any wards?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Figure we're at a rally point, determing how best to proceed. Let me know if you need any rolls ...
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chained Birds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ☢CAUTION☢
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Doel

    After approaching the tower, keeping a good distance away from the structure and using the trees and bushes as cover.

    "Skeller and Stalker, move forward and check out the area. Skeller, check the surroundings for magical wards or other magical anomalies; while you Stalker, check for any mundane or magical traps with Skeller's assistance. I want to know if this place is secure before we investigate this Tower. I trust you two can maintain your stealth as there may be people within the tower that might hamper our mission. And if you can avoid it, don't trigger or disarm any traps you find. We want to make it as if we never were here.

    Head out, and Good Luck.
    "

    The Duergar gives them a signal and sends them out.
    Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ji9zo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Stalker moves up to the tower as carefully and quietly as he can.

    "May just be civilian housin', but we'll see."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Stealth - (1d20+18)[35]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[31]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Iron Victory's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    "Roger that, sir" replies Skeller as he approaches the tower. "Hold for a moment Stalker, I'll scan the area." While remaining hidden among the trees, the inquisitor mutters divine words under his breath. He examines the space between and around the tower multiple times though magical means before moving in for a closer look. Freya waits patiently in cover as her master advances.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Casting guidance on each roll...
    MAGICAL DETECTION
    perception[sift]: (1d20+10)[19]
    perception[sift]: (1d20+10)[11]
    perception[sift]: (1d20+10)[25]
    detect magic [3 rounds concentration]
    MOVING CLOSER
    perception[normal]: (1d20+15)[33]
    stealth: (1d20+19)[33]
    Last edited by Iron Victory; 2012-08-28 at 04:47 PM.
    Avatar by the fabulous Kid Kris.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    When Stalker and Skeller moved out towards the tower, Brandor tapped Mordecai and the others on the shoulder and pointed towards one of the trees that provided a decent view of the outpost. He then moved to climb up, finding a perch that he could provide an overwatch from.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: (1d20+11)[14]
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Springs
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    With a closer look, the scouts see that the tower is a old stone structure. Its base has an estimated diameter of 30ft., which tapers off to around 15ft. at its top, which is about 60ft. up. The tower's round, but blocky construction suggests that it could have been built during the Second Epoch, although there's no way to be sure. The tower, however, also supports some more... modern elements. At its crown, the tower holds an observation nest, covered in pine boughs. Pine boughs also extrude from many of the tower's arrow slits. The tower's door also looks new, and it's hinges don't look rusted.

    In addition, the scouts see something moving up in the tower nest. A minute or so of observation suggests a humanoid figure up there, pacing around. Although, the figure just... isn't, quite, right. It's hard to tell why, but whatever is up there seems like a humaniod, but doesn't. It's a gut feeling, but it could make one uneasy.


    Skeller
    Spoiler
    Show

    Your detection spells has turned up something. When you scan the upper portion of the tower, you can feel a pretty strong aura, an Enchantment. Strong enough to give you a nasty itch. It's the only aura you can detect however.


    Brandor
    After a couple of tries, you're able to scale a larger tree. It's about 40ft. tall, but the highest perch you're able to stand on is around 30ft. up.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Once in his perch, Brandor maintained a watch on the area the two scouts had headed for. He also tried to penetrate the darkness and monitor the tower from his location ... a difficult feat at best from this distance in this weather.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+19)[38]
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Iron Victory's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    "One sentry in the tower nest, something is off about 'im... not sure what" Skeller focuses on the mysterious figure pacing in the darkness. "I'm also detecting strong enchantments in the upper portions of the tower. It looks well kept up, this isn't just a ruin. There are plenty of handholds, if needed me an' Stalker could climb up and neutralize the guard. How should we proceed?"
    Last edited by Iron Victory; 2012-08-30 at 10:58 AM.
    Avatar by the fabulous Kid Kris.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chained Birds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ☢CAUTION☢
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Operation: UNDERHOLME (IC)

    Doel

    "We weren't sent here to take down guards, but it might be necessary. I'll send my own scout up there to identify the target. Stand-by."

    Doel sends out his Psycrystal to climb up the Tower. With its natural climbing skills it should be able to climb the structure without worry.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: Climb Speed 20ft
    Perception Check (With Sighted Ability up to 40ft): (1d20+6)[25]
    - If needed as it approaches to where the figure is.
    Stealth Check: (1d20+18)[19]

    Edit: Luckily a 1 doesn't always mean failure. And it pretty much looks like a black spider anyways...
    Last edited by Chained Birds; 2012-08-30 at 11:06 AM.
    Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •