New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Mothman?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Mothman?

In my Junior year of high school, my best friend and I floated from table to table, searching for a group that we wouldn’t end up hating.
    One such group consisted of a couple of girls who were companions only because they didn’t actively seek companionship. We were at first thinking that we might move away from them, and eventually we did. Many awkward hours of silence were spent among the four of us, introverts all around.
    The seniors among us were reading Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein for English class around this time. At the same time, the Innistrad Magic: the Gathering set was coming out, so I was interested in reading the book that inspired the amazing Skaab cards. My besty lent me her copy of Frankenstein to read for my enjoyment, as she was confident in her ability to write a C+ essay using only sparknotes and the half of it that she had already read.
    I was sorely disappointed in my reading. The novel didn’t seem very horrifying at all; it was just a bunch of Romanticist BS. I was more curious about Shelley’s original nightmare that inspired the version of the tale she told to her friends and lover as a horror story. Why had she not let it become the famous book that highschool seniors everywhere are forced to analyze in great detail?
    I was inspired to get my lunch group to join me in the creation of such tales, as the group of four that Shelley mentions had. My besty, in my support, instantly agreed. One of the other girls at our table agreed on the condition that her story could be something that actually happened. I implored that she share her experience, though being a skeptic I doubted her claim’s validity.
    She spoke of how her cousin had told her he was driving across the Walt Whitman Bridge, as those in my area often are. Traffic was backed up, and he was bored, so he gazed up at the sky, hoping to see the beauty of the moon shining upon him. Instead, what caught his eye was a large, flying creature with a hideous visage. This creature was so terrifying that he accidentally pressed down on the gas and accelerated into the car in front of him. I instantly recognized this creature as the Mothman from a book I had read in my youth.
    I recently remembered this tale, as now I have begun reading Frankenstein for school (maybe I’ll actually read the whole thing this time). I decided to search Wikipedia for info on Mothman, but their database was woefully inadequate. What do you know about this creature, Giant?
    Shower Clan master race.
    They said that just because you like pony, not everything had to be pony. They lied.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Mothman?

...is this for real? I don't disbelieve you, I just want to know.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well, going back to my years as a 12-year old child, I was obsessed with all sorts of things supernatural. Granted, I knew it was all fantasy, but I do remember several things about the mothman:

For one, it's incredibly tall, at about 10 meters. Its eyes glow bright red on a fairly "tall" (think Sarah Jessica Parker) face. It had a wingspan (also think SJP) of about 12 meters. The whole idea of it was that the creature itself was incredibly disturbing large, and essentially a cross between some overly-aggressive monster from a video game, a human being, and a moth-flying-bug-fur-thing.

So, y'know, Sarah Jessica Parker.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

He's from Point Pleasant, WV.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Well, going back to my years as a 12-year old child, I was obsessed with all sorts of things supernatural. Granted, I knew it was all fantasy, but I do remember several things about the mothman:

For one, it's incredibly tall, at about 10 meters. Its eyes glow bright red on a fairly "tall" (think Sarah Jessica Parker) face. It had a wingspan (also think SJP) of about 12 meters. The whole idea of it was that the creature itself was incredibly disturbing large, and essentially a cross between some overly-aggressive monster from a video game, a human being, and a moth-flying-bug-fur-thing.

So, y'know, Sarah Jessica Parker.
    10 meters tall with a 12 meter long wing span? The original Pleasant Point sighting, which was in the 1960's claimed it only had a wingspan of about 10 feet.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-13 at 11:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mothman, yesssss. Scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid.

I fully plan on naming my firstborn Indrid Cold.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    10 meters tall with a 12 meter long wing span? The original Pleasant Point sighting, which was in the 1960's claimed it only had a wingspan of about 10 feet.
    Dude, 12-year old me was four years ago.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Dude, 12-year old me was four years ago.
    Ok? So what? You're saying that you're recalling it though...from what you're not clear. I was more saying...In all my years of reading up on cryptids and things I've never seen a report of the Moth Man being thirty two feet tall with a wingspan of thirty nine feet long. Ten feet tall with...large man bits, flaming red eyes and massive mothlike wings? Yep. All there. A towering monstrosity...nope.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-14 at 02:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

You mean this mothman stuff isn't just a terrible movie starring Richard Gere?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Nope! It's based on real legends and stuff.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I believe three things relevant to this topic:

I believe that the sightings are 100% real, myself (at least, most of them are; some people just like to be noticed).

I believe that the mothman sightings (and most other cryptid sightings) are a combination of seeing what you want to see and grossly overestimating the size of half-glimpsed, unexpected wildlife.

I believe that the sandhill crane is ~3.5ft tall, has a wingspan of ~6ft, has eyes that reflect bright red, flies with its legs extended, is common all over the U.S, and is extremely common in the Point Pleasant, WV area.

It should be noted that I have absolutely nothing against cryptozoology, and that I think Loren Coleman is a pretty cool guy. I actually have something of a passion for mythology and especially its real-world roots as well as zoology, so cryptozoology is basically my dream field (too bad it's not considered a field :). I don't whole-heartedly believe in any cryptid, but it's important not to get overexcited; the vast majority of all cryptid sightings are (probably) due to misidentification. I feel that there's a lot out there we don't yet know we know, but there's a lot we know, too.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Careful man. This is how stuff like Marble Hornets gets started.

Mothman, Mothman... Off the top of my head, he's a scary looking humanoid-insectoid hybrid thing. Kinda like the Jersey Devil, his sightings are mostly just quick glimpses and weird encounters around a certain geological locations. The main thing I know about him is that he's supposed to be something of an omen. His sightings spiked shortly before and/or after a massive bridge collapse in the town where he was frequently spotted near. In fact, some folks blamed him for the collapse, which claimed quite a few lives. There's a movie about it - "Mothman Prophecies."

Animal Planet has a show called Lost Tapes, which is a "found footage" documentary series on Cryptids and legends. They did an episode on the Mothman, which will be your best bet for information and eyewitness accounts. Maybe you can find it online?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Nope! It's based on real legends and stuff.
    Careful, I wouldn't go so far as to say "real", but it does seem that it is based on actual myths/legends.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Animal Planet has a show called Lost Tapes, which is a "found footage" documentary series on Cryptids and legends. They did an episode on the Mothman, which will be your best bet for information and eyewitness accounts. Maybe you can find it online?
    You know that show is staged, right? How well acted/produced/written it is is a matter of opinion (terrible), but that it's staged is fact.
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Ok? So what? You're saying that you're recalling it though...from what you're not clear. I was more saying...In all my years of reading up on cryptids and things I've never seen a report of the Moth Man being thirty two feet tall with a wingspan of thirty nine feet long. Ten feet tall with...large man bits, flaming red eyes and massive mothlike wings? Yep. All there. A towering monstrosity...nope.
    Look, first off, terrible with conversions of feet to meters. Just read what I wrote in feet, and you're good. I don't know why I even bothered with meters in the first place.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    You know that show is staged, right? How well acted/produced/written it is is a matter of opinion (terrible), but that it's staged is fact.
    Yes. Yes, I am well aware that it's a fictional show. I never said it was real, and I put quotation marks around "found footage" for a reason, since that's how you describe shows and movies like Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project.

From what I recall of it though (I've only seen one or two episodes), they do a lot of background and cryptozoological analysis at certain points during the show. I was suggesting he try to watch the show because of the information given between the segments of "found footage," not for the footage itself. Though the footage is meant to represent what a potential encounter with that episode's critter might be like, so he may find that interesting as well.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

That was a perfectly decent movie, I'll have you know.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Yes. Yes, I am well aware that it's a fictional show. I never said it was real, and I put quotation marks around "found footage" for a reason, since that's how you describe shows and movies like Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project.
    I'm sorry; in retrospect, my intended message wasn't very clear and my post was somewhat antagonistic. Neither of those things was my intent.

I meant to draw attention to it being staged for the benefit of those who had not seen the show; I assumed that you had seen it, and so were aware of that aspect. Further, I was taking specific issue with your line "They did an episode on the Mothman, which will be your best bet for information and eyewitness accounts." I could be wrong, but I think I've seen very few witness interviews on that show, and all of them were staged. At that point, it's not really a witness.

I'm sorry for the confusion, and I'm extra sorry for my harsh tone.
    Fluff | Crunch

19. - Top - End - #19

Careful, I wouldn't go so far as to say "real", but it does seem that it is based on actual myths/legends.
    Wheter or not the subject matter is real, the legends are real in that "they are legends that actually exist".

It's like how unicorns probably don't exist, but there are a lot of legends that do exist that are about them.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-10-14 at 08:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    That was a perfectly decent movie, I'll have you know.
    Nah-uh. I had the unfortunate displeasure of watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Wheter or not the subject matter is real, the legends are real in that "they are legends that actually exist".

It's like how unicorns probably don't exist, but there are a lot of legends that do exist that are about them.
    Just because the stories actually exist, it doesn'y make them real.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I've been obsessed with cryptids and urban legends in general since I was eight I was about to write a gigantic post about the Mothman, his sightings, and what believe he could be. Then I discovered I was beaten to it in a not-as-wall-of-texty way .
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-10-14 at 11:22 AM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

22. - Top - End - #22

Just because the stories actually exist, it doesn'y make them real.
    Disagree; the stories existing absolutely makes them real. The question is whether or not the events that happen IN the story are real.

If you're going to be pedantic, do it right

Anyway, Mothman shows up in some Shin Megami Tensei games. Not a lot of info in those games, or anything, but maybe that could help somehow?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Disagree; the stories existing absolutely makes them real. The question is whether or not the events that happen IN the story are real.

If you're going to be pedantic, do it right

Anyway, Mothman shows up in some Shin Megami Tensei games. Not a lot of info in those games, or anything, but maybe that could help somehow?
    I'm not being pedantic, I'm being facetious. Huge difference.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    I'm sorry; in retrospect, my intended message wasn't very clear and my post was somewhat antagonistic. Neither of those things was my intent.

I meant to draw attention to it being staged for the benefit of those who had not seen the show; I assumed that you had seen it, and so were aware of that aspect. Further, I was taking specific issue with your line "They did an episode on the Mothman, which will be your best bet for information and eyewitness accounts." I could be wrong, but I think I've seen very few witness interviews on that show, and all of them were staged. At that point, it's not really a witness.

I'm sorry for the confusion, and I'm extra sorry for my harsh tone.
    It's cool. Apology accepted.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mothman movie didn't have much to do with the actual Mothman stories. It was a good movie, though. Very well done.

There's a Mothman museum in Point Pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.