New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Ultimate Conflict (Of Havens and Empires) IC

Rahja squats down to be on eye level with the girl, rewarding her with another beautiful smile and examining her face. "Can you tell me how to get there, honey? Oh, almost forgot, my name is Rahja. What's your's?" As brief as the contact is, Rahja wants to make it a positive memory. She more than most knows how valuable even a single cherished memory can be.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

The Portal Chamber
    Spoiler
    Show

Negative! Reroute venting to external vent. Reroute!
    Using his rather extensive knowledge of technomancy programmed in by one of the greatest technomancers in the Empire, Korshim attempts to diagnose the problem and work on a solution.

Use Magic Device check
    (1d20+42)[60]
    Spellcraft
    (1d20+46)[60]
    Knowledge (Engineering)
    (1d20+46)[54]

Lord Wero doesn't react, watching the present situation. It is true that the Lord's Law, when the lawgivers got a hold of it, became rather dry. However he keeps a more interesting version, his own personal copy on him at all times. The tome being large even by his own porportions.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica keeps quiet for now, Rahja having things well in hand with the young girl. She does keep an eye on the soldiers, in case they decide to reignite the fight, and any alleyways, where some sneak attack might come from.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #334
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As the storm of dust and sand flies from the dragon, Usabhar's mouth slowly opens in realizing of what he sees in front of him. Every night he had dreamed of this moment but never did he believe that the meeting would ever happen. Quickly a look of guilt rushed over his face for just a moment as he gets down on one knee to the great silver dragon. A small content smile appears as the paragon begins to speak.

"...Oh mighty Keltahkonkmet," he speaks in a chivalrous and powerful tone, "My forgiveness for not recognizing you beforehand my lord. It is the greatest honor to be in your presence. I have much to ask you. I wonder ask to why you are now in this desert, and why you now not wear the skin of that of your famed enemy, the black dragon." Usabhar looks up to Keltahkonkmet with prestigious honor, "But most of all, I ask why you have called me here."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Grand Emperion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not even a minute following the fear of all-out war and death, Rahja's warmth has elicited a genuine smile on the young girl's face, "M-my name is Evlyn. If you want to head down, there's a way through in most of the garrisons. You can find one a couple of blocks away that way," she finishes, pointing.

The Portal Chamber:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, the Golem is using its external vents... and then some. Steam visibly pours through its vents and starts seeping from other joints even as you watch. If you wished to save the central processor, you might be able to buy some time by removing or poking holes in its plating but if its core is overheating to such a degree, there's a good chance that it won't last too much longer either way... even if it doesn't explode. In any case, the golem isn't speaking anymore.

???? (Usabhar):
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Usabhar, paragon of my chosen people, there is little time and much I must say. This desert you see is a crossroads, a place less than nowhere that the other mewling godlings fear to see with their own eyes. Does this answer your first question, Paragon?"
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2012-11-06 at 08:06 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

6. - Top - End - #336

Portal Chamber
    Spoiler
    Show

The great dragon decides to just skrew it. He'll create his own vents. This in mind, instead of poking holes he brings his massive brass claws to bear against the creature's armor, raking it open, but careful not to damage anything vital

Sunder attempt
    CMB
    (1d20+47)[48]

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

The elf maiden continues to say nothing, letting Rahja handle things, but her eyes carefully assess the way the girl pointed, picking out potential threats and challenges that lie in their path.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja looks into the direction Evlyn is pointing to for a moment before turning back to the girl, reaching out and gently caressing her cheek. "Thank you very much, Evlyn. I will not forget your help." Rahja's touch softly suffuses the girl's body, cleansing her body and belongings, wiping away fatigue and sating her. Gently, Rahja kisses the girl's forehead, placing protective spells upon her in case she should come to harm in the future, spreading warmth through the small body that stays with her, always.

"Never give up hope, never let go of your dreams, honey, no matter how grim things might look." Giving Evlyn another smile, Rahja rises and lets her go back to her loved ones. Unless she has no one to go to, in which case she picks out one of the more upstanding women in the crowd and asks her to look after her. One might say children are easy to manipulate, but they also possess a purity allowing them to carry the spark of hope in it's full glory. And perhaps ignite it in others as well.

Looking to her lover, Rahja asks Celestica "Shall we?", heading towards said garrison and down to the fortress with her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rahja uses her Sustenance feat on Evlyn, as well as Prestidigitation, and puts Heal and Regenerate on the girl via Preventative Measures.

9. - Top - End - #339

SwashbucklerGuy

As Usabhar listens to Keltahkonkmet with an intense feeling of glory. Here he is in front of the deity that Sargti has cherished and preached for so long. The great dragon would not have brought him here without a dire reason; and what he says by this desert being a "crossroads" only further heightens that the dwarf must listen carefully. Usabhar nods silently in acknowledgement. "Indeed it does answer my question, though not all of them."

Usabhar gleams up at Keltahkonkmet, looking defiantly strong as the dragon has done before. "My lord, why do you stand at this crossroads? Is it to guide those who come here, or to keep foes on all sides at bay?" The paragon looks out to all sides to see if there is anything other than himself and the dragon. If even gods fear this place, what is it that lies here? Usabhar is excited to know even if it is hidden beneath his stoic face.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica tries to analyze which side is more likely to have attacks come from it, and positions herself so that she is between them and Rahja

(1d20+42)[44] Perception

She moves off with the young aasimar.

I hope the leaders are as reasonable as Evlyn and the others were. The high lord has little patience for negotiation, in fact, he has none. Its his way or the high way

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not unlike a certain NHLPA head I happen to know....
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja nods, giving a quiet little sigh. "Yes, it certainly seems that way. I hope we can show him that he can put a little more faith in it, and in us. For little Evlyn's and the others' sakes as well." Subtly as they walk beside one another, Rahja grasps Celestica's hand and gives a gentle squeeze before letting go again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rahja takes 10 on Perception for a result of 98.

Also, Celestica's result is 10 higher due to Overcharge.

Rahja periodically renews the Overcharge with a Mass Cure Light Wounds.

12. - Top - End - #342

Your position is one of privilege, not power. The sooner we can get this over with the sooner I can get some leads as to this Boiler Man. Lord Wero will be following them to the garrison.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

As she walks with Rahja, a thought occurs to Celestica.

High Lord, how long have you ruled the EEE? That note said they have been watching for 100 years. If you have not ruled for that long, they dont have an issue with you, they have issue with the Empire itself. If you have ruled for 100 years, can you remember what issue was foremost 100 years ago? If you cant remember, we could consult historical records of the time.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #344

Even if it were the Boiler Man's intention to not take issue with me, he has made me an issue as much as my empire. Don't be fooled. It is MY EMPIRE. I have fought, labored, and bled for centuries to build it. What right does this boiler man think he is to assume that they can just make all of my work meaningless? Such hubris will be his undoing. At my hands. I plan on living forever, but the Eclipse will not part until I die.

The most eminent of events to occur around the time frame is the beginning of the Empire of the Eternal Eclipse's expansion onto other worlds. However this was around 386. The message seemed more precise than to be off by four years. Precisely one hundred years ago the trouble was maintaining scattered territories on half a dozen worlds in a cost-effective manner. This was roughly 75 years before the Portal Chamber would be created, keep in mind.
    It's funny, really. It took the Empire 350 years to conquer Emanacal, and he's close to conquering numerous worlds over a hundred years later. However if annexing the Imperion pans out, this would be the Empire's second completely conquered world. Well...technically first, if one doesn't discount the so-called Arctic Confederacy on Emanacal, however they have always been a faithful ally.

Celestica knows the present year in Eclipsian time is 480 AD, or the Dawn of the Eclipse, the founding of the Empire. For all intents and purposes this keeps track of how long the High Lord has maintained rule.

I am led to believe that this is one of three possibilities. One, an unruly organization that is seriously underestimating me and seeks to intimidate me by going to such exorbitant lengths to send a message, and will probably try to extort me from my fear. Two, a nation of comparable or greater power that has bode its time and seeks to take away my gains, or three, some shadow power that also wishes to take my gains, and has bode its time and is now, very much, in a position to cause serious damage.

One thing that bothers me is that they sent a message by way of what appears to be a Hypt Dragon egg. I don't know what sort of message that sends, especially considering Hypt Dragons are indeginous to Emanacal. Though the possibility also exists they simply had that much adamantium lying around.

Celestica is also fully aware of Hypt Dragons. Omnicidal and nasty construct-dragons whose skeletal frames are constructed of Adamantium.

However one thing I can be certain of is clear: They have something to benefit from by informing me that they want to destroy my Empire. I am not sure how yet, or why. Perhaps it's simply hubris, but I am not so foolish to rely on others' foolishness.

I choose to not dwell on the past, but look into the future through the lens of the present. We know nothing about "the boiler man." How do we fix this? You bring up a good idea, we can look into the past. As one whom has experienced it first-hand, I know that history has a nasty habit of reflecting the future.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (History) check
    (1d20+50)[52]
    Knowledge (Nobility/Royalty) check, why not
    (1d20+50)[61]
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2012-11-07 at 09:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Emperion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Traveling past a couple of smaller skirmishes between troops, you finally reach the garrison you had been pointed to, a large plain building very much like those surrounding it apart from a bronze placard recording its significance. It is almost a disappointment, especially as it appears abandoned at the moment.

If the size of the entrance is any indication of the size of the passage hidden within, Getting down through the passage is going to be a bit tricky for Wero... at least if he wishes to avoid severe collateral damage or surrendering his grandeur.

Portal Chamber:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Korshim's claws peel through the iron like butter but fall short and scrape through another substance below. Removing your claw, there would seem to be some manner of adamantine plate behind its normal plating.

The Crossroad:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The great wyrm smiles as Usabhar's suggestion. "I am here to travel to the other side... and perhaps to slay what I find." Keltahkonkmet's voice, though grand and rumbling, sounds a bit softer and more distant than what you had expected. "The other gods fear what they know not and they can't see what lies beyond this desert... but... with these cracks... this is no time for cowardice."

The dragon falls silent for a few seconds, failing to move as if had drifted silently into sleep before its smite suddenly grows even broader, "And this is why I have called for you, Usabhar. Though other deities may play at bravery, they lack the true spirit of conviction that they need to succeed... our spirit of conviction."
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2012-11-08 at 04:37 PM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

16. - Top - End - #346

Lord Wero visibly rolls his eyes upon seeing the unnecessarily small entrance.
    This is precisely why I have governmental infrastructure in the Empire built with such large porportions. Very well.

With that note, the mighty dragon's form turns an incandescent violent, which shrinks progressively, his more monstrous porportions transforming into something more human until it appears only slightly taller than an ordinary human. The glow vanishes, and the High Lord appears as a pale-skinned bearded 80-year-old human male with the platinum and violet robes and crown characteristic of the High Lord, but transformed to accomodate his new porportions. Despite the venerable and aged appearance, his stance and movements are extremely limber and precise.

Part of my terms are that these passages are to be retrofitted to accomodate my true form.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica watches as Wero changes form.

You know, I think I prefer you that way. It reminds me of the time I first met you, on that crazy flying ship. A simpler time, to be sure.

I think we need to consult the records on the Boiler Man. They were quite precise in how long they have waited, it must have been something done right at that time, if we are lucky, on that precise day. You say you were trying to make an economical means of contacting all your properties, and you didnt have the Portal. I hope your records are very detailed, and we could see if you performed some sort of experiment on that day, something that might have affected their plane.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #348

I would rather not speak of those times. They were...not my proudest moments. I suspect I will look upon those moments with fondness soon enough, though.

As for records, I have my minions scouring for references to a "boiling man." I doubt they will turn up anything. There is still a chance that they will succeed, and I will not pass that chance by.

PORTAL CHAMBER

Prince Zurkar rushes over to Korshim when he sees him apparently attack the golem.
    Korshim, what are you doing- He cuts himself off when he sees the distinctive near-black sheen of Adamantium.
    ....what is that?
    Wordlessly, Korshim scrapes away more of the plating and tries to extract the adamantium.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2012-11-09 at 03:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349

SwashbucklerGuy

At the words of the great silver dragon, Usabhar smiles in brutal excitement. The cracks he saw the last day wasn't a one-time thing apparently and seeing Keltahkonkmet's bravery in confronting the situation himself is enough to motivate the dwarf. Even if the dragon's voice is soft, Keltahkonkmet's power is easily shown without the need of aggression. Usabhar has nothing but the greatest, if grimmest drive to achieve the goals given out to him.

Standing up in a hurry, Usabhar boasts out proudly to Keltahkonkmet. "Then those who dare not fight the cause stay back. My lord! I shall follow your beck and call as you ask! Please allow me to accompany you to the other side as your phalanx. As long as I stand ground, nothing shall strike me down!" Though speaking with a good deal of hubris, Usabhar means well for Keltahkonkmet and would dare fall for his god if it is the best for the worlds at hand. The small area around Usabhar chills further at his excitement; crystals form from the sand and from the paragon's body. He continues his speech bravely, almost over-eagerly, to the dragon. "Myself and my people will fight for you, our world, and other worlds against this thread. Together we fight and I shall be the guardian for you and all of Sargti!"

Even if the dwarf may be getting ahead of himself, Usabhar wants nothing more than to prove himself to Keltahkonkmet in however way it may be doable. Usabhar simply thinks that being on the front lines with his god might accomplish it.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-11-09 at 02:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja heads down into the passage.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Imperion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The garrison is easy enough to navigate through, being assembled in the same general manner (albeit with perhaps different scales) as those you have probably seen in the past. The passage down to the center found in the form of a ladder leading straight down, surrounded on all sides by a thick wall of iron (except for an opened hatch leading into the 10-10 ft. pit.

The "walls" of the pit are a crisscross of wires and metal beams travelling further than the pit itself and possibly filling most of the interior of this space. So thickly packed are these beams and wires that the ladder wouldn't be necessary even if you had to worry about falling. Embedded into the walls of the pit, however, are a bit of a larger concern. Humanoid heads, largely human and elven, gaze out blankly from small gaps in the walls, apparently still alive judging by the occasional blink, if unresponsive at the moment.

Down at the bottom of the pit, you can all see a tiny pinprick of light.

Portal Chamber:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digging though the iron case, you can finally see the source of the adamantine. It would seem that a roughly egg-shaped lump of adamantine has been inserted into the golem, fused into its power cell. Thankfully, your quick thinking seems to have reduced the golem back to tolerable temperatures (though the egg glows a dim shade of yellow with raw heat).

The Crossroads:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Silver dragon laughs a hearty, dry laugh at Usabhar's proposal, "Such valor, young one. I was right to call out to you. Perhaps, some day, you may even have your wish. Today, however, I need you not as my general but as my Avatar here, on this side of the struggle. The gods are prone to caution and needless plots, Paragon. I call upon you, Usabhar, Paragon of dwarvenkind, joiner of the frost giant clans, to represent me in the courts of gods and push the divine to valor and action. Can I depend upon your judgment, Paragon?"
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2012-11-13 at 03:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352

The High Lord's darkvision gives him more than enough light to enable him to see, at least to a distance. However he can still percieve the pinprick of light.
    The humanoids on the wall are interesting. Perhaps a new way to punish traitors?
    So... He turns to Rahja. I could not help but notice your interaction with the...Fae. He spits out that word with contempt. May I inquire as to the extent of your interactions?

Portal Chamber

Spoiler
    Show

Korshim, what's...what's going on? Prince Zurkar asks, starting to get legitimately worried. However in a particularly uncharacteristic defiance of programming, Korshim ignores him and goes to examining the egg. His own metallic body being well adapted to extreme heat and not registering pain at all.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica decides to show off, and maybe even give Rahja a scare. As they start to climb down the ladder, she gives a big grin at Rahja and then just lets go, plummeting down the entire length of it. She seems to touch the side walls once in a while, but other than that does nothing to slow her fall. However instead of being a blood splatter at the bottom, she just lands lightly on her feet, none the worse for wear.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja, silently gliding down the narrow passage, is hardly pleased at seeing all the unliving heads and neither is she at Wero deriding Selayna. However, before she can answer, Celestica decides to simply let go. Eyes widening in shock, the aasimar flies downwards after her soul mate, trying to reach her, but fails to do so, only to see the elf land without any problems. Landing beside Celestica, Rahja's face at first shows disbelief, then becomes clearly not amused, genuinely hurt even, as she pulls her soul mate into a tight hug, shivering.

The next moment, Rahja simply releases Celestica again, looking like nothing out of the ordinary happened, focusing on looking at their new surroundings.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica is still wearing her grin as Rahja lands beside her, but she too checks out the area, to see where they have landed, and to see if any guards are no doubt shocked by their sudden appearance.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #356

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar, almost against his stoic nature, finds himself with his mouth partially open at Keltahkonkmet's order. To be an avatar is a great deal, not one to be taken unless in times of need. To rally the gods and divine to valor is as great a task as dire these times might be. Yet despite this question being one most people would think Over, Usabhar is gleeful to accept this honor. Hesitance has no place on the battlefield as much as it does in diplomacy; the paragon has to show that to everyone and here is the first step towards accomplishing it.

Nodding in respectful delight, Usabhar answers to Keltahkonkmet courageously and without worry or fear. "You can my lord! By all that exists, I shall meet the deities and convince them of action. If I must, I shall show them what we have succeeded in, that progress was not simply gained from caution but through work, battle, and defiance to our foes. The frost giants, undead, and demons had all tried to destroy the dwarves of Sargti and the dwarves and I repelled them all until the frost giants joined us. If it takes proof of accomplishment by battle to promote them to action, then I shall show them it. But I swear that they will learn to seek valor and face the threat straight on than to clown around with plots and plans!"

As Usabhar finishes, he gets an odd feeling of satisfaction in stating all that. To look over all that he has done so far has felt rather enjoyable to him. In fact looking to the future, he has this feeling he cannot understand. A feeling of looking forward to future events; a feeling that he has never gotten before; a feeling that he may just learn in time.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-11-14 at 10:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357

Rather irate at having his perfectly harmless question being interrupted and then ignored, Lord Wero falls down the shaft, his descent slowed by some unseen force. His landing on the ground barely even audible in the darkness.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Emperion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Falling down the shaft, the embedded faces scream in pain as you pass by, signalling to anyone down below of your approach. In the wake of these screams, however, the voices call back out, sentient (if not alive), begging for freedom from the net of wires and iron. Down at the ground, you seam to be standing on a large mithril sphere into which most every wire seems to fit. The small open area you stand on holds a hatch in the floor.

Portal Chamber:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will just say right now that I swear to god I had planned out what you see below before you read the first inscription. That things turned out this way is honestly kind of incredible

Inscribed upon the platinum egg in tiny draconic letters appears a bit of script:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though your empire possessed a mere 10^-15% chance of mounting effective resistance, the costs directly linked to your elimination and that of your family have been assessed as needlessly high. To this end, we give you this chance to peacefully abdicate your throne. If you still believe you can resist, there is one fact you should be more than aware of, considering your preferred manner of invasion. Message continued on left auxiliary hydraulic spring of thoracic segment 7 in Royal Unit Korshim.

The Crossroads:
    Spoiler
    Show
    With a broad smile from the Silver dragon, a silver doorway appears behind you, "I wish you well, oh Usabhar. Prove your mettle to those gods"

29. - Top - End - #359

Portal Chamber
    Spoiler
    Show

If an automaton, even a sentient (THERE I SAID IT ) one could feel sick, Korshim would be feeling it right now. He rereads the last part of the inscription numerous times, hoping to anything that he just misread that last part.

When reality does eventually sink in, with a trembling voice, he looks to his creator. Please remove the hydraulic spring of my thoracic segment designation seven. Leftmost. Then give it to me.

Prince Zurkar appears a bit confused by this, not quite sure how to respond, does little more than offer a few stuttering half-sentences.

Just do it! The clockwork dragon rebukes harshly. Not really knowing what else to do, Zurkar acquieses, and flies up to Korshim's back. The latter of whom shifts his components and plating configuration in that area to allow the horrifically confused Prince access.

Once it is removed safely the Prince gives Korshim the spring. The latter of whom begins to think about how he's going to need a new one, because this one is clearly compromised.

Well this is...interesting. Noting the mithril sphere under his feet. And what manner of technomancy is this? He knows of the hatch, but doesn't feel particularly eager to go down that. With caution in mind he casts Shield on himself.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2012-11-15 at 12:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica looks at the net of wires, and then at Rahja. She knows what the aasimar is thinking, and she feels the same way as well.

Can we just cut them to free them? This is one of those things where I know what I want to do, but havent dealt with that sort of magic.
    #GoreMutualarejerks