New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default The Beasts, the Thieves, and the Wardrobe

OOC thread, for reference:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246973

Google docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lVGR1VtWWpQWWc

Your party is traveling through a thin forest, the last town miles behind. The forest seems to abruptly end, and you emerge on a plain, no city in sight. The only building around is a small hut, which seems to be made of logs, and a thatched roof.

The ground you are on feels different, softer. There is little vegetation, other than a little bit of grass, and a few bushes.

The sun is setting, despite warnings that you would not make it to the next town by nightfall, your group decided to prove them wrong (nice job not making it, by the way).

As light begins to fade, you all realize just how hungry and tired you are, and to make matters worse, you hear two howling creatures.

What do you do?
    Last edited by smashbro; 2012-07-01 at 09:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Beasts, the Thieves, and the Wardrobe

iCedric Hardyi

Statblock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cedric Hardy
    Male LN Human Archivist, Level 3, Init +5, HP 13/13, Speed 30
    AC 14, Touch 11, Flat-footed 13, Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Light Crossbow (40) 2 (1d6, 19-20x2)
    Quarterstaff 1 (1d6, x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 8
    Condition None

Cedric came to a halt, his staff planted in the soft ground before him. He took off his large, floppy hat and wiped his sweaty brow with an equally sweaty rag that had been used for the same purpose all day. He checked the angle of the setting sun, and peered at the trees around them as he waved ineffectually at the cloud of tiny insects that surrounded his face. "I say. Pr'aps we should have heeded the folk in that last village. Although I misliked the way they were eyeing my hat. Keeps the sun off, and it shouldn't matter how it looks. Only small minds mock a sensible man."

He stopped to listen to the howls, his face set in lines of interest and concentration rather than concern. "Could be wolves of course, and the spotted ibex is known to make such a haunting sound. I'll have to hear more to be certain." He gestured to the log hut by waving his floppy hat in its general direction. "Best we don't give them a reason to attack. I suggest we shelter inside there tonight, if the owners be amenable." With a tired sigh, he plucked his staff from the ground and resumed his long, mile eating stride, heading for the opening of the hut.

"Hullo the house!" His voice rang out, confident and loud.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[10](16) Knowledge Nature check to identify what sort of creature is howling.
    (1d20+6)[1](7) Knowledge Geography check to determine if I know where we are.
    Can you provide more information about the hut? Is it well maintained? Is there any sort of garden, or obvious food/supply storage? Are there signs of occupation? Smoke, footprints, curtains in the window?

3. - Top - End - #3

BardGuy

OOC: If you guys need any more information about something, please feel free to ask. In my descriptions I'll give an overall description and anything that looks out of place. But if you want to know specifics (for instance, about the house) ask about it.

The hut seems to be sturdy, but the woodwork is... lacking, to put it nicely. Although it keeps the animals out, it is not well polished, merely enough to get the job done of being a house. In addition, the outside has no decorations of any sort, aside from a welcome mat, which only says the word welcome, in common. From where you stand, you can see golden colored curtains in the windows, opened to see inside. (you'll need to go closer to look in)

It is small, 30 or 35 feet wide at best, with a single door, and two windows allowing light into the house.

There is no sign of anyone outside, and any footprints in the soft soil cannot be recent, judging by their faintness.

And, your yelling elicits no response.

@AugustusGloop
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (Nature): You recall that it is the sound of some sort of lupine magical beast, not the common animals that live in many forests. However, there should be no magical beasts in this area, as the forest is not as thick as many creatures prefer, and in preparation for your journey, you made sure to look up any special creatures in this area.

Knowledge (Geography): You're in a forest. derp I can tell you that it is not any large forest or anything, nothing major in the sense of the country. You're in a temperate location, during the summer. Sorry, but you nat 1'd.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Devlin Loretower

As the sun begins to set, the odd sigils orbiting Devlin's bald head begin to seem brighter. He bends his head slightly to better illuminate the map in his hands. He studies it with a series of strange hand gestures--measuring with a fingerbreadth. "Hindsight certainly does provide clarity," he mumbles. "I thought for certain that I had calculated the distance accurately, but perhaps it was the topography that caused our average speed to decrease. If only I could remember the formula to.."

The man's words trail off, as he is clearly lost in thought. It wasn't often that Devlin was wrong about anything, but since he had begun traveling with the immensely intelligent Cedric, these instances had increased exponentially. Next to him, Devlin felt like little more than an ignorant boy who had been expelled from the bardic college. "Ugh," he says as he looks up at the house. "Lacking stain or even primer...whatever carpenter they hired wanted the job done quick. Still, it's structurally sound, and what more can you really ask for in a house?" He folds up the map and stows it in his pack, moving closer to the house than any of the others. He wraps gently on the door, hoping to rouse anyone within.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Geography - (1d20+7)[20] to determine where we are along the way
    Knowledge Architecture - (1d20+7)[21] to determine if the house truly is structurally sound
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-06-25 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

5. - Top - End - #5

Portia Octavia

"No decoration, yet golden curtains. Suspicious", snaps the fetishistic Cleric. "I've a mind to peek through the windows, but that would be an act unbecoming my perfect self. Also, no woodpile. Also strange.

If there's no answer to the rap, Devlin, I might be amenably to hunting some wolf. Else they'll keep us up the night long with their foolish howling and posturing. If I am to be kept up all night, I want it to be by something that bathes. And leaves in the morning. Don't you think I'd look good on wolfskin? I mean, under wolfskin. I mean, in wolfskin. Is it starting to snow?"

While she prattles, she moves slowly around the house, staying in sight of the party, but trying to more fully scope out its surroundings. And if she should accidentally catch a glimpse through a window, so much the better.

Spot:(1d20+3)[17]
    Listen:(1d20+3)[7]

6. - Top - End - #6

BardGuy

OOC: Also, while I'm thinking of it, if you put your checks in a spoiler, I'll spoiler them back for you, in case for whatever reason you dont want the others to see it. If you don't spoiler, I won't, assuming you would tell everyone.

When Devilin knocks on the door, you hear no answer, and no one comes to the door.

@PONIES

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (Geography) : You are still about a half day away from the nearest town, your planned destination, and a day's walk away from the town you came from. There don't seem to be any settlements around here, but you know that travellers may sometimes stay along your path, if they plan to visit one of the towns for a few days, so it is usually safe to stay outside. Then again, the howls don't seem safe.

Knowledge (Architecture) : That house won't fall, no matter how much huffing and puffing there is to knock it down. What I mean is, a strong storm could damage the house, but aside from natural disaster, the house will be safe.

As Portia looks around, she doesn't see the animals that are howling, and in fact, sees no woodland creatures like you saw closer to the town you left earlier today. You also notice that two of the bushes near you have berries on them, but other than that, the area doesn't seem to have any nourishment.

Also, as the sky grows darker, you see a faint light coming from inside the cabin.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Now. That's even more suspect. And rude. If someone's home but doesn't want to see us, they could at least say so. And if they're frightened of us and hiding, why the light? Such foolishness. It's enough to drive you to necromancy."

Instead, she walks back around to the door, giving Bernard the mule a secret little smile and a rub on the head as she does so. She squares her shoulders before the door, smiles in a disturbing fashion, and suddenly shouts very loudly."If you don't open up, or even acknowledge us, I am going to stand here and recite my latest Lolth/Weejas BDSM Femmeslash Opus! All night! Very loudly!"

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Although you may get questioning looks from your party, there is no response.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The rather large goatman had remained silent up to this point, allowing the smaller men and woman to go about their inclinations. The cleric was prattling about something to do with "lots of weeds," the woods sprung alive with howling and the guttural voices of the animals within and the bard had been talking about wood. Finally Chaoros began to get impatient with whoever it was behind the door, the Ibixian gave out a long and loud roar.
    We know you folks in there, we need to have some shelter. Open up or I kick door down!

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Does this entail an Intimidation check?
    Last edited by Ballista; 2012-06-25 at 09:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

@Ballista

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes it would. Do you remember if I allowed you to use your strength modifier instead of charisma for it?

(1d20+8)[24]

No response.
    Last edited by smashbro; 2012-06-25 at 10:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Lolth, her pupils dilated to the point of event horizons, gasped in estacy as the whip stroked across her abdomen in vicious, measured, precise strikes. Her arms strained against the spiked bonds, digging into her flesh and increasing her rapture. "Oh YES, Stern Lady" she gasped. "I'm so bad. I'm so very bad. Punish me!"

The other moved in front of her with precise clicks of her bootheels, a look of cold indifference across her face. Then she struck the Spider-goddess savagely across the face with the whip-handle, provoking a slight scream. "Don't I know it, you little fool"

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Yes, Portia's speech gives a boost to Intimidate.

No, there is no answer.

Although, your intimidate worked on me. Please not much more of that.
    Last edited by smashbro; 2012-06-25 at 10:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

"With a curled lip, the Ruby Sorceress raised the whip-- no, no. This is foolish. Foolish". She strode over to Bernard, produced her writing materials, and wrote in a firm hand; "Wee Jas should have a scourge".

She put her things away, then walked to the door and gave it a sharp, hard push with the butt of her longspear.

Strength check:(1d20)[19]

14. - Top - End - #14

iCedric Hardyi

Statblock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cedric Hardy
    Quarterstaff 1 (1d6, x2)
    Condition None

Cedric's face darkened at the ascetic woman's antics. "No more of that madam, if you please. You make me hope these lupines come for us. I seem to recall that they are magical in some regard, although I can not quite place the specific breed. In any case, I would sooner try to negotiate with Dire Wolves than listen to more of your nonsense. Try to remember decorum."

He placed his floppy hat back on his head, and gazed at the hut. "It may be that this is a traveler's rest, a safe place for those like us who are foolish enough to be caught outside at nightfall. Typically they are built a days journey along well defined routes. Still, it pays to be careful. Mister Loretower, while we still have a few moments of peace, would you be so kind as to examine the lock and see if any malignant devices have been placed to prevent entrance? In a civilized region I would rather sleep outside than violate the sanctity of someone's home, but here I judge that safety is a greater concern than trespass. Meanwhile, I shall examine the aura of the place. It could be that the light and lack of firewood are magical convenience for the weary traveler."

With those words, he took a few steps back, whispered a short prayer to Boccob, and swiped a hand across his own eyes. Then he examined the forest hut closely.

OOC:
    @All
    Spoiler
    Show
    When I spoiler something, I expect everyone to read it, I'm just separating it from my in game narrative. I don't hide any ooc stuff, even if it is working against your characters, because I figure we can all keep that stuff separate. Should I use private tags or whatever the equivalent is here?

Marlowe: Cedric may be annoyed, but I am fascinated and horrified. Nice job!

DM: I'm casting Detect Magic, and examining the hut for auras. It lasts for up to three minutes so after I'm done examining the house I'll take a look around me at the forest and my companions.
    Also: I realized I forgot to detail my 0 level spells on the character sheet, so Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, and Purify Food & Drink are my choices, if that's alright. I figure as an experienced traveler, he'd want his light, food and water ensured as much as possible.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

As Portia hits the door with her spear, the door swings open easily, with no resistance. You see no one from where you are, and the light from inside seems very faint, but standing directly in front of the doorway, you do not see what it is from.

Cedric doesn't notice any magic near the hut, or on anything the members of your party have. The forest is as unexciting as the hut, with no sort of magic.

16. - Top - End - #16

Portia draws a Javelin, and runs it around the doorway and the inside of the doorframe, including above it.

"Gentlemen", she says. "I venture to suggest that the first one in should not be the beautiful woman carrying a Longspear. On the plus side, we can now check the lock for traps with the benefit of a roof"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Bah, traps do not hurt so much as they are annoying...
    Without spending more than a fraction of a second spent on thought, Chaoros unsheathed his mighty greataxe, gripping the handle in his huge hands. He begins to slowly shuffle into the house, wary of any dangers, specifically enemies... as well as looking out for any form of food.
    Ugg, too much trail food, I need me a gallon o' mead and a few lamb shanks...

Spot Check!
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[9]
    Last edited by Ballista; 2012-06-25 at 01:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

as Chaoros enters the house, he sees no meat, either in the form of residents or food. Inside, the house is plain, but well kept. It is only one room, with storage cabinet for food, however, it is empty. There are half a dozen floor cushions to sit on, a large, circular rug, and a bookshelf. The colors of these cushions are all either green, brown, or a deep, golden yellow. There is a wooden table, with two chairs next to it. On top of the table is a barely burning candle, now burnt down to almost nothing, but giving off a light nonethless. The floor is made of smooth stone, and lies a bit lower than the ground outside, more or less by a foot. The stone seems to be natural.

19. - Top - End - #19

Devlin Loretower

The jack-of-all-trades scratches the back of his head, searching for a response to Portia's recitation. Luckily, the others cut in and express their disdain at the violent erotica before Devlin can even think of the words to say.

"Well, sure, even all chivalry aside," he says, "I'd prefer to take the first look; I tend to be pretty good with traps." He looks to the others, wanting to make sure that they don't take offense to his words, and sheepishly adds, "Not that you aren't or anything..."

He listens intently to Cedric's description of a traveler's rest and nods his assent. "Sounds about right--my most recent estimations place us about a half-day from the nearest town. I'd be happy to check the dwelling, but I can't help but feel bad...are you sure we're not just invading the home of some unfortunate introvert?"

The illumian makes his way into the home, but he is almost barrelled over by the goatman. "It all depends on the trap, friend," he chides. "A ten-foot pit trap may only be enough to sprain your hoof, but fall into one alone and you'll realize something: being unable to climb out for days and starving to death? That can smart a bit. Just imagine running out of lamb shanks..." Devlin pauses for a moment to ponder why a goatman enjoys lambshanks so much, but decides to focus on his search of the hut instead of his questions surrounding the borderline cannibalism.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (1d20+10)[28]
    Disable Device - (1d20+13)[18] (boosted by Cunning Knowledge) if any traps are found
    Spot - (1d20-4)[-1]
    Listen - (1d20-4)[9]

20. - Top - End - #20

iCedric Hardyi
    Statblock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cedric Hardy
    Quarterstaff 1 (1d6, x2)
    Condition None

Cedric followed the Illuman in, with a respectful pause to let whatever awful thing that was going to happen, happen. When he got a look at the hut's contents, he frowned.

Unlocked door. Candle, burned almost to nothing. Occupants gone only a short time. Candle length indicates between 6 and 12 hours ago. Two chairs; two howling creatures; magical lupines. What do I know about lycanthropes?

He bent and examined the books on the bookshelf, interested in the titles and subjects, then lifted the circular rug to peer underneath it.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing a lycanthrope would be a knowledge arcane roll? (1d20+10)[20](30)
    Anything under the rug? Anything nice on the bookshelf?
    Last edited by AugustusGloop; 2012-06-25 at 03:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

@Augustus
    Spoiler
    Show
    You wouldn't be able to figure that much out from the sound.

Upon investigation, the books on the shelf seem to be mostly about stonecraft and mining. One of the books is written in a language that Cedric doesn't recognize.

The rug is pulled back to reveal... the stone floor. There seems to be nothing of interest under it.

As Devlin enters the house and begins to search, he feels a thud on the back of his head - the massive arm of Chaoros accidentally hitting him, as he turns to Devlin upon hearing the words "lamb shanks".

Devlin, very dizzy now, tries to look around the house, albeit with bad sight. By the bookcase, however, Devlin feels something. A slight break in the stone floor, almost imperceptible unless you were on the ground, reeling from the blow of a goat man. With the help of a flat metal tool, conveniently placed against the bookshelf, someone could easily (no check needed) pry up the piece of floor, which is a square large enough to comfortably fit a medium creature.
    Last edited by smashbro; 2012-06-25 at 05:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Devlin Loretower

"Anything good in those books?" Devlin asks Cedric. Since leaving the bardic college, he had come to realize what he missed most wasn't the classes or his fellow students, but the library. Pulling odd jobs in the "real world" rarely left one with a few free hours to peruse stacks of books.

"Hey, would you watch--" is all Devlin can muster before Chaoros clunks him with a massive shank of his own. The illumian stumbles toward the bookshelf and trips over his own two feet--or so it seems. Looking down, he notices a seam in the floor. A flash of bright light blinds him for a split second, and Devlin realizes it as the flash from the glasses that Whizbang (his former employer) had tested on him. As the flash subsides, a tool by the bookshelf radiates faint light, and Devlin sees a rough sketch in his head of a secret compartment. He picks up the tool from the shelf and looks to his companions. "This is made to pry open the secret opening at my feet...just big enough to conceal one creature. Shall we press our luck and open it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If the other characters don't try to stop him, Devlin will use the flat metal tool to open the compartment in the floor.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Hearing Devlin's little reproach about falling in pits, Chaoros let out a hearty chuckle.
    Little man, you have yet to ride the mighty Taho Ruknhaak Kuhan bareback off a sheer cliff face. Little holes can do little to stop me. Though I am getting a bit peckish... it's a shame that these people did'int leave any food...
    Chaoros haphazardly knocks Devlin over as he enters the house, noticing his compatriot falls over; Chaoros extend a hand to help him up. But stops himself as the illumian shouts out about finding some passage.
    You have good eye, my friend!

24. - Top - End - #24

iCedric Hardyi
    Statblock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cedric Hardy
    Quarterstaff 1 (1d6, x2)
    Condition None

"Duvall's Treatise on Natural Rock Formations of the Ironband Mountains, Delving Deep for Initiates, Duelf Stronghammer's Suggested Tunnel Bracing... and more of the same. Except for this.", he held up a single volume, "Can anyone read this, or identify the language?"

Cedrick watched the Illuman at his efforts, and waited patiently to see the results of uncovering the passage or compartment.
    GM's of my games: I am available to post from 9am to 5pm EST weekdays, and usually not available other times. I follow the games from my phone, so if you need me, let me know. I won't be around at all Wed July 4th.

25. - Top - End - #25

Seeing the others blunder about inside, Portia stands in the doorway, facing outwards, keeping an eye out for anything that might rush in from the night, and keeping an eye on Bernard. Don't want to risk fouling the Longspear with one of the fools in that tight sqeeze. It might get damaged.

Spot:(1d20+3)[22]
    Listen"(1d20+3)[22]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Chaoros hears the Archivist asking about a book...
    Hmm? Don't expect me to read that, I'm not the kind of man to look at those flimsy things. As far as I'm concerned, that's just fancy tinder...
    Noticing Portia still standing in the doorway, the Ibixian finds his way towards the woman.
    It's getting cold out there, we got into this place to warm up, no? Why don't you relax for a bit... There's nuthin out there 'cept for cravens and beasts

27. - Top - End - #27

"A craven, or a beast, could still do us a mischief while we're distracted stumbling around in here" she says in a low voice. "And I'm not letting Bernard get snapped up either."

28. - Top - End - #28

Emilio scratches his balding head and continues to watch the others. He should probably try to help somehow, but he's not really sure what to do. Trying to at least look ready he swings his greatsword from his back and stands near Devlin waiting to see what's under the trapdoor.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

Looking outside, Portia sees nothing more than the sky growing darker, and Bernard munching on some grass.

Devlin, jamming the rod into one of the edges, easily opens the hatch. As it swings back on its hinge, you see a rope dangling from it, long enough that someone inside could pull the trapdoor shut again.

"Inside" seems to be a long, vertical passageway, with a ladder extending as far as you can see. There is a light coming from somewhere, but you can't tell how far down it is.

30. - Top - End - #30

Portia, of course, cannot see down the shaft, but she can read the faces of her companions, and the way they move their heads to peer down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Because that spot roll has got to be good for something.

"That looks suspiciously like a call to adventure. Adventure, thy will be done". She walks out the door and rubs Bernard's head. "Bernard, you may not follow me where I go now. And I may not stable you in another's house, no matter how much I would like. Remain here and rest. If you are attacked, run. If you cannot, fight. And please try to return to me as I will try to return to you." She walks into the hut fully for the first time, and takes her turn peering down the hole.

"How quaint. Now, firstly I'd like to ask how hungry and tired is everyone, precisely? Secondly, I suggest that even though there is light and even though we all fight with two hands, we should bring one of the Everburning torches anyway. If we need to fight we simply drop the torch. It will not go out. Whoever bears it should not be a caster though."