1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Yin & Yang classes (d&d 3.5) [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by bindin garoth View Post
    I gotta say sipercival, good job!
    Thanks!

Mainly only a few nitpicks on these

ARCHITECT OF THE TWOFOLD WAY
    -Invocation wise, you're only going progress one or the other's invocations. If you progress both, you'll only ever end up with lesser invocations for both! It seems to me (at least flavor-wise), where the concept is to combine the powers of both classes, it should progress invocations 2/3's of the way (loses progression of invocations once per three class levels). This'll give them access to greater invocations for both classes.
    Well, of course you aren't going to progress both. That would be silly. Instead, you progress one, but you can pick invocations off both lists.

-I like how you made the class eventually become SAD. Although it would be slightly painful to go into from level 1. But there's no really way to change this that I can think of.
    Well, it requires feat investments... which you can then hopefully retrain out.

-See point #1 for Fortuitous Strike and Voidstrike abilities. Although I like how you made it so you can get above average damage with these later on (Improved fortune of the void), which means it could live with the current progressing. Perhaps allow it gain more uses of the Fortuitous Strike ability with feats, since it'll never be able to use it at will?
    Hm... I'm not sure. I'll have to think about this.

Can't think of anything else at this time....... Wait!

Multiclass feats! Always fun to bring to base classes.

Classes that would mesh well with the Nullblade:
    -Swordsage (Shadow Hand focused)
    -Dread Necromancer
    -Binder
    -Duskblade (possibly)
    -Shadowcaster
    -Knight
    -Warlock

Classes that would mesh well with the Thaumurai:
    -Paladin
    -Crusader
    -Cleric
    -Favored Soul
    -Druid
    -Healer
    -Psion (Shaper)
    -Wizard (Conjuration Specialized)

Feat ideas:
    -Allow Voidstrike to affect an area, must have the Void-Burst feat.
    -Allow Fortuitous Strike to count as turn undead for the purpose of powering feats/items

Hmmmm...... I think that's all I can think of at this time!

Edit:
    Also requested Morph Bark put these classes on his base class tiering thread.
    Lol, that's a fun idea. I'll see what I can work up.

And thanks!
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Well, of course you aren't going to progress both. That would be silly. Instead, you progress one, but you can pick invocations off both lists.
    *Re-reads Invocation progression*

Opps. Missed that line.

Well, it requires feat investments... which you can then hopefully retrain out.
    That's pretty much the only way to make it not painful, but like I said there's not much way to change this, well, not without making the class very front loaded.

Lol, that's a fun idea. I'll see what I can work up.

And thanks!
    Yup! Looking forward to it!
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

3. - Top - End - #33

ANIMUS

Image!

"There is a balance between all things, which is far less fragile than it seems. It is the way of things that what one man puts out of order, another will restore, and a third will disorder again; this is the Universe's way of maintaining the balance."

An animus is a being in touch with the unity between void and substance, connected to the very essence of the Universe in unique and fundamental ways.

The animus race originally coalesced from the grey misty emptiness of the Astral Plane. However, at some point in the past, the elders of the animi foresaw a great catastrophe, and transplanted the entire race to the Material. Over time, interbreeding produced the current form of the Animus, whose abilities are significantly diluted compared to the founders, but who retain a subtle connection to the primal forces of the Universe.

ANIMUS RACIAL TRAITS
    • +2 Int, -2 Dex. Animi are quite intelligent, but are somewhat ungainly due to their size.
    • Medium size. Animi gain no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Planetouched: Animi are humanoids (not outsiders) with the planetouched subtype. They are susceptible to spells and effects that specifically target both humanoids or outsiders. Charm person works against them, and so does banishment.
    • Animus base speed is 30 feet.
    • Bastion of thought (Ex): An animus's mind carries great weight, and is difficult for any other creature to alter. Animi gain a +2 bonus to saves vs mind-affecting effects.
    • Metaphysical mass (Ex): Animi warp the subtle energy flows of the Universe by their very presence, granting them more control over their surroundings than other races can manage. Whenever an animus makes a check modified by character or class level (including caster level, initiator level, and equivalent), it gains a +1 bonus to the check for every 5 Hit Dice (rounded down, minimum +1).
    • Astral heritage: An animus gains a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (the Planes) checks, and treats all locations on the Astral Plane as one step more familiar for determining travel time (to a maximum of "Very Familiar). See page 50 of the Manual of the Planes for more details.
    • Animi gain a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive checks, as they pick up subtle clues from other creatures' auras.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Anim. Bonus languages: Any except secret languages like Druidic.
    • Favored Class: Nullblade, Thaumurai

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood: 200 years
    Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +3d10
    Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +6d10
    Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +9d10

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 600 years
    Old: 800 years
    Venerable: 1,100 years
    Maximum Age: +10d100.

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Height: Male: 6'1" Female: 6'0"
    Height Modifier: +2d8
    Base Weight: Male: 300 lbs Female: 280 lbs
    Weight Modifier: x2d6

ANIMUS CHARACTERS
    Due to their intrinsic intelligence and incredible longevity, Animi are consummate collectors of knowledge of all types. They are in tune with the Universe to an extreme degree, and often become spellcasters of some sort. However, most work very closely with the energy and emptiness in the Universe by becoming Nullblades or Thaumurai.
    Adventuring Race: Animi adventure to see more of the Universe, experience more of this strange place that has developed at the crossroads between the Void and the Oneness. They seek knowledge and personal enlightenment, and look to achieve mastery of their chosen philosophical path.
    Character Development: In addition to their favored classes, animi make excellent spellcasters. When entering Thaumurai or Nullblade, they tend to take Universal Comprehension or Null Comprehension, to represent the fact that their understanding of the Universe is more cerebral than intuitive.
    Character Names: Names in Anim are full of liquid and sibilant consonants and extended vowels. Each one contains information about the individual's place and time of birth, auspicious omens surrounding said birth, and indicators of particularly significant parentage or heritage. Examples include Lullisennuanren, Merrilusoneranuallia, and Ulraulenolram.

ROLEPLAYING AN ANIMUS
    As an animus, you are connected with the most basic and fundamental aspects of reality.
    Personality: Even if you don't necessarily pay attention to it on a minute-to-minute basis, your baseline of extrasensory consciousness alters your perceptions of the world around you, and adds perspective to the events in which you participate. On the Astral, time is immaterial, but over the millennia your race has learned that things are not much different on the Material (despite what other races may think). You are extremely long-lived, and see events from a long-term perspective, setting plans in motion early on and waiting for them to develop. You have a tremendous font of patience, which causes many to underestimate you; the short-lived and short-sighted races often mistake patience for inaction and weakness. However, you are certainly willing to take quick and decisive action when the moment calls for it, and your awareness of the bigger picture can often make you more effective when it comes time for action than others with a narrow view.
    Behaviors: Animi spend much of their time in meditation, communing with the Oneness and Void in their way. Sometimes these meditations take on more robust or violent expressions. Sparring between two animi is a wonder to behold, miraculous and empty at the same time.
    Language: The Anim language is a fluid, melodious thing, where inflection and context are far more important than individual phonemes.

ANIMUS SOCIETY
    Animi generally live alone or in small groups, a tendency produced by their long lifespans, in which they see many cities and organized societies rise and fall. However, they will band together if necessary to defeat a major threat to their race or to the balance of the universe. Animi tend to focus on the accumulation of knowledge and personal experience, with the most respect given to the wisest and most experienced—not necessarily the oldest. Their culture greatly values patience as a virtue.
    Alignment: Animi are generally neutral, a proclivity which stems from their innate connection to both substance and void. Balance is in an animus's very nature, and reflects on its personality.
    Lands: Animi live throughout the Material Plane, where their ancestors were forced to migrate from the Astral Plane long ago.
    Settlements: Because of their ancestors' extraplanar origins, animi are more likely than most other humanoids to settle in other planes. They can also be found in cities and forests throughout the Prime Material. Small communities can often be found in areas of environmental transition and conjunction: a cliff overlooking an ocean, the foothills of an enormous mountain, or deep in a forest where small streams converge into a river.
    Beliefs: Most Animi believe deeply in the profound power of the emptiness and the energy of the universe. They are rarely overtly religious; having seen the discarded husks of dead gods in racial memory, they find divine beings as transient as everything else. The Oneness and the Void are far more universal and lasting.
    Relations: Animi often do not get along well with other races; they are more devoted to their learning and to long-term planning than to pleasing others, and often frustrate the short-lived races as a result. They get along better with longer-lived creatures such as elves, who better understand their patient ways.

ANIMUS ADVENTURES
    Animi often set out on quests to increase their knowledge of the universe as a whole. Their knowledge of the planes makes them unusually well-suited to a planescape campaign, and exploration of the planes may be what it takes for an experienced animus to see new parts of the universe.

Many thanks to Frathe for helping with the fluff!

ANIMUS NULLBLADE
    Spoiler
    Show

Those animi who spend more time contemplating the Void than the Oneness often turn to the path of the Nullblade. An animus has a natural understanding of the fundamental structure of reality which supplements the Nullblade's normal path.

Requirements:
    To take an animus nullblade substitution level, a character must be an animus about to take his 2nd, 3rd, or 8th level of nullblade.

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: Same as nullblade.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|NullSpellLvl|Special|Invocations
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|1st|Astral mind, nullify (tactic)|1
    3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|2nd|Sublimation|2
    8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|4th|Profound emptiness|4[/table]

Class Features:

Astral mind (Ex): At 2nd level, an animus nullblade gains the ability to send his mind through the Void, gaining unusual knowledge of his surroundings. Once per day per 4 class levels (rounded down, minimum 1), the animus nullblade can gain the benefit of the clairaudience/clairvoyance spell as an extraordinary ability, with a caster level equal to his caster level for invocations. This ability replaces the nullblade's Will of the Void class feature.

Sublimation (Ex): An animus is used to contemplating the yawning emptiness of the Astral Plane; the smaller, mundane troubles of the adventuring life seem trivial by comparison. Beginning at 3rd level, an animus nullblade can spend a use of his Nullify ability as an immediate action to substitute a Nullify check for any saving throw he makes. He can do this no more often than once per round, even if he has a source of additional immediate actions (such as Touch of the Void). This ability replaces the nullblade's Evasion class feature; instead, he gains Evasion at 13th level, and does not gain Improved Evasion.

Profound emptiness (Ex): Deep within the mind of an animus nullblade is a mental construct representing the Void, allowing him to contemplate it even in the midst of battle. Upon reaching 8th level, an animus nullblade can draw strength from his failures, understanding that nothing is permanent and everything ends. Whenever the animus nullblade rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll or saving throw, he gains a morale bonus equal to his Wisdom modifier on attacks and saves for the rest of the encounter. This ability replaces the nullblade's Void Infusion class feature.

ANIMUS THAUMURAI
    Spoiler
    Show

An animus who follows the path of the thaumurai draws parallels between the Astral Plane and the Oneness: each connects everything to everything else, and holds the substance of all creation.

Requirements:
    To take an animus nullblade substitution level, a character must be an animus about to take her 2nd, 5th, or 7th level of thaumurai.

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: Same as thaumurai.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invocations
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Miracle (attack), silver strands|2
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Fate of many|3
    7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Astral connection|4[/table]

Class Features:

Silver strands (Ex): An animus thaumurai has an affinity with all things related to the Astral Plane, leading to an intuitive defense. Starting at 2nd level, an animus thaumurai takes minimum damage from all attacks caused by summoned creatures and creatures with the Extraplanar subtype, as well as receiving a +4 bonus to saves against the abilities of such creatures. This ability replaces the thaumurai's Assurance of the Fated class feature.

Fate of many (Su): The Oneness connects all things, and an animus thaumurai of 5th level or higher knows how to capitalize on this fact in dire situations. Whenever the thaumurai and at least one other ally within 30 feet make a saving throw against an effect, each ally who saves against the effect (including the Thaumurai) uses the highest relevant base save bonus among all affected allies for their saving throw. They use their own ability modifier as normal. The animus thaumurai must spend a use of her Miracle ability as an immediate action to activate this ability. This ability replaces the thaumurai's Fateful Aura class feature.

Astral connection (Su): An animus thaumurai of 7th level or higher has learned to form a Oneness with her companions at all times. She can use greater status as a supernatural ability at will, except that instead of spells, she can use any least thaumurai invocations she knows on her allies (even if they normally have a range of Personal). This ability replaces the thaumurai's Improved Fortuitous Strike class feature.
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2013-02-09 at 07:50 AM.

gitp extended sig

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

I just want to re-iterate, I really like these classes

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by urkthegurk View Post
    I just want to re-iterate, I really like these classes
    Thanks! :)

gitp extended sig

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I know it's not usual, but did you consider making ACFs for the Architect? Yes, you dont normally see ACFs for PrCs, but you also dont normally have a 14 level PrC either.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    ...magical trumps mundane so often that mundane really needs to be able to give magic a good kick in the junk now and then.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Sypher667 View Post
    I know it's not usual, but did you consider making ACFs for the Architect? Yes, you dont normally see ACFs for PrCs, but you also dont normally have a 14 level PrC either.
    Extra-long PrCs aren't unheard of (Necrocarnate, Void Disciple, True Necromancer, etc)...

I hadn't really considered it, no. If there are enough ACFs, it might warrant more PrCs instead. Did you have any ideas?

gitp extended sig

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

This looks really cool. Also, I noticed what looks like a typo in the aging section. Is the maximum age really 1100 + 100d100?

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    This looks really cool. Also, I noticed what looks like a typo in the aging section. Is the maximum age really 1100 + 100d100?
    Yup. Astral beings live for a REALLY long time... comes from evolving on a Timeless plane.

gitp extended sig

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

I do think it's odd just how much variance they have in their lifespans. 11100 max, 1200 min, that's a 9.25:1 ratio. That makes lifespans very very random. Children will frequently outlive their parent, grandparents, and even great-great-great-grandparents. An average of 83% of an Animus's life is spent with the creaking joints of venerable age.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    I do think it's odd just how much variance they have in their lifespans. 11100 max, 1200 min, that's a 9.25:1 ratio. That makes lifespans very very random. Children will frequently outlive their parent, grandparents, and even great-great-great-grandparents. An average of 83% of an Animus's life is spent with the creaking joints of venerable age.
    Or... maybe I misread both the original and the person pointing out the typo. 10d100 is much more sane.

gitp extended sig

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That thaumurai class was masterfully done.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    That thaumurai class was masterfully done.
    Why thank you! :)

gitp extended sig

14. - Top - End - #44

AssassinGuy

Miracle (Su): A thaumurai can use her understanding of the interconnectedness of the Universe to cause unusual luck and circumstances for her allies' actions. The thaumurai can use this ability once per thaumurai level for each encounter, to a maximum number of times per encounter equal to her Charisma modifier. Using this ability is an immediate action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and may not be used while the thaumurai is flatfooted or helpless. The thaumurai must be aware of whatever she is attempting to facilitate.
    I am a bit iffy at that part. Say you're level 1, have chosen the extra miracle feat and your modifier is +2, would the maximum still cap at 2 even though you can use your miracle for 3 times?

15. - Top - End - #45

I am a bit iffy at that part. Say you're level 1, have chosen the extra miracle feat and your modifier is +2, would the maximum still cap at 2 even though you can use your miracle for 3 times?
    Extra Miracle is intended to bypass that limit.

gitp extended sig

16. - Top - End - #46

AssassinGuy

Extra Miracle is intended to bypass that limit.
    Thankie.

17. - Top - End - #47

AssassinGuy

Hi again, I almost forgot to put this on the previous post but..What if your current in level uses exceed the charisma modifier like you are level 4 having for 4 uses and your modifier is +3, is this still limited by your modifier?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-03-05 at 10:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Hi again, I almost forgot to put this on the previous post but..What if your current in level uses exceed the charisma modifier like you are level 4 having for 4 uses and your modifier is +3, is this still limited by your modifier?
    Then it would be 3 uses.

gitp extended sig

19. - Top - End - #49

AssassinGuy

I am not sure about the smite evil part when using bolstering touch if you have unlimited fortuitous strike? Can you clarify?

20. - Top - End - #50

I am not sure about the smite evil part when using bolstering touch if you have unlimited fortuitous strike? Can you clarify?
    Sure. So, at Thaumurai 19, you can do Fortuitous Strike an unlimited number of times per day. However, you're still limited when spending FS uses as Smite Evil attempts; you can only spend Chamod FS in place of Smite Evil (and not unlimited).

Bolstering Touch says that it counts as Smite Evil for determining the number of times per day that you can do it. So even when you hit 19th level, you're sitll limited to Chamod per day (assuming you spend your Smite Evil equivalent uses only on Bolstering Touch).

Did that help?

gitp extended sig

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

Thanks. I thought it degraded in uses but I am glad that I read it like you described.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-05-01 at 05:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

AssassinGuy

A thaumurai may use this ability to substitute a Miracle check for a d20 roll she or an ally within 30 feet would make. A Miracle check is a d20 roll with a bonus equal to the thaumurai's class level + her Charisma modifier, against whatever target number the original roll would have had. The thaumurai may choose to use this ability after knowing what the result of the original roll would have been, and if she does so, the subject uses whichever result is better. At 1st level, the thaumurai may use Miracle to replace a skill or ability check; at 2nd level, she may replace an attack roll; at 6th level, she may replace a level check (including caster level, manifester level, etc.); and at 10th level, she may replace a saving throw. At 14th level, she may use this ability to aid any ally she can see.

Inspired creation (Su): At 3rd level, a thaumurai's connection to the fundamental forces in the Universe grants her incredible control over her surroundings, allowing the thaumurai to replicate the effect of a divine spell of 1st level or lower as a supernatural ability. The spell must be a conjuration (creation) or conjuration (healing) spell, but can appear on any divine class list or domain list. Using this ability requires the same amount of time as the casting time of the spell, to a minimum of 1 full-round action, and the thaumurai must provide any expensive material, XP, or divine focus components that the spell would require. The caster level for the effect is equal to the thaumurai's class level, and the DC is 10 + the spell level + the thaumurai's Charisma modifier. The thaumurai can replicate a total number of spell levels per day this way equal to her Charisma modifier (0th-level spells count as 1/2 level). This ability counts as a paladin's Lay on Hands ability for the purpose of meeting prerequisites.
    It's been a long time since my last post. I have a few questions.

Are the bits in bold intentional? So if a thaumurai reached level 14, the miracle range is removed as long as he can see the person he is trying to aid? I can see that the bolded bit on the inspire creation might be a typo. It should be maximum instead of minimum. Most healing/conjuration spells have a casting time of a standard action unless you using summon x line. If not, we are restricted to summoning spells or spells that have a casting time longer than full-round actions?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2016-05-19 at 01:58 AM.