New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default I'm feeling turn based and fantastical

As the year winds down, I find myself with an urge to order elves to spend a turn shooting orcs in their stupid orc faces. I find it helps put things in perspective.

I'm not seeing much in my collection that looks to satisfy this though. So I'm turning to you for suggestions. I'm amenable to either party-based or one-character games. I don't really discriminate on the age of a title - although I do like the art to be solid, even if the tech is old.

Any suggestions?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I'm feeling turn based and fantastical

Well, there's always Master of Magic. Though more of a 4X game than a turn-based strategy title, MoM is solid and still unsurpassed in the sub-genre it founded.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kings Bounty comes to mind if you hadn't already tried it out. Also Disciples 2 is always good with very solid art and addictive gameplay. But never ever pay a cent for Disciples 3 it's a total let down.
    Thousands of years ago, Egyptians worshipped what would become our ordinary housecat. The cats have never forgotten this.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you're that specific, Elven Legacy might suit you. I remember it being in a charity Bundle this year.
    Wait, what signature?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Battle for Wesnoth is a bit... simple. But it's sort of what you describe, I think. Anyways, I've always found it to be a lot of fun. And free! You can't beat that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    Battle for Wesnoth is a bit... simple. But it's sort of what you describe, I think. Anyways, I've always found it to be a lot of fun. And free! You can't beat that.
    Simple, free, decently fun, but a massive asshat of an RNG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Simple, free, decently fun, but a massive asshat of an RNG.
    Well, the RNG exists, and it hates you no more or less than any other RNG does.

Psychologically, though, it's more noticeable, because every hit has a % chance of success, and damage is absolute. It's quite wargamey in that aspect, not so much RPG-ish, because you actually stand a decent chance of missing a lot. If they switched it to a model of every hit landing for random damage, people would complain about the RNG less. As it is, damage comes in big chunks, which I'm okay with.

Also sounds like it's exactly what you're aiming for. I'll add, however, that Wesnoth is a lot about positioning and resource management. There are two skills that are essential to learn: how to maneuver your units to gang up on an enemy and eliminate them before their turn, and how to hand off kills to the same unit, so that they gain XP faster (the killing blow delivers extra XP).
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

As previously stated:
    Master of Magic
    Battle for Wesnoth

Other:
    Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
    Fantasy General
    Elemental: War of Magic
    Last edited by psilontech; 2012-12-31 at 03:19 PM.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you want an RPG or a strategy game? It's hard to tell.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Dominions 3 is the only thing I can really think of that you haven't already mentioned playing and/or recommended to someone else, but given that it's a fairly old-school game with intentionally simplistic graphics, it might not be your cup of tea.

I guess there's Fallen Enchantress and Warlock: Master of the Arcane as well.

Of course, every single one of those is technically a 4X, and so potentially not strictly what you wanted.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2012-12-31 at 04:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPGuru1331 View Post
    Did you want an RPG or a strategy game? It's hard to tell.
    Sounds like either one could fit the bill.

I might add that warty goblin's simple desire to shoot orcs in the face is possibly the best "recommend me a game" that I have ever seen.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2012-12-31 at 05:17 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

He tends to dislike RPG's, so strategy is probably what he wants.

Personally I like Icewind Dale, because it's fantastical, set in a universe I recognize, but it's not turn-based. Of course, it runs on turns, but you can let the auto-pause separate it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not really sure what you want. Most turn-based fantasy games are about a group of heroes. But your description sounds more like a wargame.

I have games of either category, but not both.

Fantasy
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn (I'm pretty sure they have battle grids, but I know that some of the other FE games are more like Pokemon, so I'm just going to suggest these two)
    Final Fantasy Tactics games
    Saiyuki: The Journey to the West. I think I actually spelled that right.

Tactical wargame
    X-COM: UFO Defense
    X-COM: Terror From the Deep (note, due to a bug in the original that set the difficulty to "Easy" no matter what was selected, this game is REALLY hard since people complained about the difficulty of the first)
    Xenonauts (still in Alpha testing, but people who pre-order can go to the forums and look for threads on testing stuff. There is at least the one thread with the test for a trainyard map, currently)

There is also a game that I do not know much about, called Banner Saga. It appears to have turn-based grid combat with magical and fantastical elements.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Sounds like either one could fit the bill.
    Pretty much. I'm leaning more towards RPG at the moment, but a nice simple strategy title could also do quite nicely.

Ideally this would be something like Jagged Alliance 2, which is to say lots of customization, very detailed small party-based combat, not completely hideous graphics and a good equipment system. Except with elves and castles and dragons, instead of militia and Kalashnikovs.

Tragically I don't think this game exists.
    I might add that warty goblin's simple desire to shoot orcs in the face is possibly the best "recommend me a game" that I have ever seen.
    But really, who doesn't want to shoot orcs in the face?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe any of the Avernum RPGs. Turn based, grid based, party based combat. Lots of exploration and secrets to find. No orcs or elves, though. But there are goblins to kill, at least.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, I can think of some, but they're practically all console or handheld games, and I'm pretty sure warty is a PC-only gamer. Also they often lack Orcs (and sometimes Elves) specifically, being Japanese games.

Only one that comes to mind that I've played and enjoyed as a PC title that might work is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Kind of an old game, though, don't know how easy it'd be to find now.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-12-31 at 06:18 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Hm, I can think of some, but they're practically all console or handheld games, and I'm pretty sure warty is a PC-only gamer. Also they often lack Orcs (and sometimes Elves) specifically, being Japanese games.

Only one that comes to mind that I've played and enjoyed as a PC title that might work is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Kind of an old game, though, don't know how easy it'd be to find now.
    It's available on GOG. From I to V. Though III and Chronicles are the best (in my humble opinion).
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    It's a good old game, which I also can recommend. It contains elves and goblins. And everything else as well.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If you're looking RPG/turn-based try Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

I recall orcs, but it's been years and I couldn't get out of the starting town.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Ideally this would be something like Jagged Alliance 2, which is to say lots of customization, very detailed small party-based combat, not completely hideous graphics and a good equipment system. Except with elves and castles and dragons, instead of militia and Kalashnikovs.
    Final Fantasy Tactics sounds pretty similar to what you want, if you're willing to forgive the pretty horrible translation (at least in the PS1 version).

From strategy games, I second the Heroes of Might and Magic series, Age of Wonders 2/Shadow Magic, and Disciples 2, in order from the largest to the smallest scale and from least to most RPG elements.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I would also recommend Dominions 3 which is a fantastic game for fantasy armies. You can get a nice new up-to-date demo of it at www.Illwinter.com

But thats an awfully big game. On the one hand it will last years on your machine, on the other hand nobody plays it with all of the players, nations, and maximum map sizes it can run in. Its too much game for some people.

If the demo seems like too much strategy game then try their other game Conquest of Elysium 3. Its smaller, faster, (cheaper), and more solo-play than Dom3 is. It will still last a long time and runs games bigger than anyone plays though.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

As great as dominions 3 is in general, it probably doesn't suit you if you just want a nice, light strategy game (Or, yanno, RPG). The winner of a Dominions 3 game in Multiplayer is 'whoever has the patience to micro longest', and in the larger maps, a single turn can take an hour. Pick it up when you're in the mood for strategery, maybe (Ilwinter really needs to learn a 2-D Sprite game made 5 years ago is not still worth 50 dollars)
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2012-12-31 at 08:28 PM.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Fantasy
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn (I'm pretty sure they have battle grids, but I know that some of the other FE games are more like Pokemon, so I'm just going to suggest these two)
    Uhh... what?
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

What indeed.

And Fire Emblem doesn't really have a lot of customization, or detailed combat. Characters simply gain levels and that's it. It's more of a resourcement management game - you need to manage your weapons because all of them break and it'd be a waste to use the rare/expensive ones when they're not needed, and you need to manage your troops carefully because they're all unique, but there is permadeath and they can die easily if you're not careful.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Dominions 3 is $50? that is on Amazon, right?

It is only $30 on Desura, and goes on sale fairly often.
    Their other game is only $10 and goes on sale often. Especially on Steam.
    The "5 years ago" is rather questionable also since they continaully add to it for free. The version now has a lot more in it than the 5 years ago version.

And I like the 2D graphics. It runs on my linux, windows, and mac. It runs on netbooks, really old computers, and can run off a flash drive. I can run it along with tons of other things at the same time on my desktop. It is a tiny client that can connect to a massive server for huge multiplyer games if I want.

That might still be too much money for some. But if you ask anyone who has it, they play it often even after years so on an hourly rate it is pretty cheap.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Uhh... what?
    Well, I thought it did. The one time I saw a picture, I think it had a grid. Might've just been tiles or something.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

That's not the what part. Comparing Fire Emblem to Pokemon is the what part.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    That's not the what part. Comparing Fire Emblem to Pokemon is the what part.
    Well, some characters you work to acquire by walking up and talking to them, which is often harder than it sounds. So that's sorta like catching pokemon.

And (some games) have a dating sim mechanic in the support system, and in FE4 which units you get in the second half depends on which characters you paired together in the first half. So that's sorta like the breeding system.

...Yeah, I don't get it either.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Well, some characters you work to acquire by walking up and talking to them, which is often harder than it sounds. So that's sorta like catching pokemon.

And (some games) have a dating sim mechanic in the support system, and in FE4 which units you get in the second half depends on which characters you paired together in the first half. So that's sorta like the breeding system.

...Yeah, I don't get it either.
    I meant the combat. Turn-based, one character at a time (I think), no movement.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-12-31 at 09:53 PM.
    My Steam profile

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I meant the combat. Turn-based, one character at a time (I think), no movement.
    Nope. Fire Emblem is a tactical RPG franchise, with no deviation from that basic style in any of its titles. It was the series that created that sub-genre, in fact.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis