New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam]-y Thread XXX: Throwing titles out the window!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    DUDE.

DUDE.

o_o I remember that game! Only thing I've ever played on a Mac, and hot DIGGITY was it awesome!

I'm gonna go see if I can find some kind of PC port...
    I checked it out a couple weeks ago, hoping to find it again. Turns out, it's freeware on Windows and OSX now. It warms my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post
    Any suggestions on how to beat the harder levels of MvM?
    • Don't die. It sounds silly on paper, but I'm serious. When you die, your team is short one player. Even if it's less helpful to your team to flee to heal, it's a better idea than dying and waiting to respawn.
    • Play loadouts that output more damage but allow for some good explosive resistance. The extra firepower from a Beggar's Bazooka is always welcome.
    • Ignore team assisting items (Disciplinary Action) and single-target items (Ullapool Caber, though the sandman is exempt because the scout is already weak enough to die in a few shots).
    • Stick close to dispensers and medics. Explain to the medic that he can't focus on one teammate anymore: he needs to assist everyone.
    • Use the Scottish Resistance as a Demoman, and have your team's medic uber you during setup with a KritzKrieg so you can plant critical sticky-traps. If you lack a medic, have someone switch over just for the setup, and swap back in time for the next wave.
    • As an Engineer, don't buy Upgrade canteens; buy Uber Canteens. They shield your buildings (and yourself) from nasty Sentry Busters. Krit-eens double fire-rate, which is a nasty combo with The Wrangler.
    • Speaking of which, use The Wrangler as an engineer.

Weapons to consider using as each class:
    • Mad Milk. This is a given; improve survivability, slow enemies, and help allies all in one jar.
    • Beggar's Bazooka (with an upgraded clip, it's EVIL).
    • Flamethrower and Neon Annihilator (don't rely on your own burning to get crits; have allies chuck a Jarate or Mad Milk at a field of enemies, slowing them down and letting you really lay waste to them). Why no Degreaser? Because the Flamethrower's extra burn time and damage is a lot more helpful here; the Shotgun is also more viable when upgraded to shoot faster with more shells and damage.
    • Scottish Resistance. Any complaints can be filed in my "does not give a flying" box right over there.
    • Brass Beast and Sandvich.
    • Frontier Justice (add ammo to the clip!) and Wrangler. Jag also helps, 'cause you're not going to be hitting anything with your wrench anyways.
    • KritzKrieg and a bonesaw of your choice. Most of the straight upgrades are good picks.
    • The Machina in big crowds will do a lot of damage at full charge. Penetrate a single robot? How about four? Jarate is also necessary to help that dashing Pyro, and other allies.
    • The Diamondback or Ambassador, and a tossup between the Spy-cicle and challenging (but incredibly effective) Eternal Reward/Wanga Prick.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I can probably live without mine. Spreadsheet is saying around a reclaimed, so if you are interested in that price, add me I suppose.
    Thank you very much! Being annoying as a spy has never been more fun.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post
    Any suggestions on how to beat the harder levels of MvM?
    A good team with a stellar engineer and a competent medic.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I only ever play Engineer. But said Engineer also needs to rely on his teammates to damage the bots, too. He's not a one-man army.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Mad Milk. This is a given; improve survivability, slow enemies, and help allies all in one jar.
    I vastly prefer the Pocket Pistol. The fire resistance penalty is buy-offable, the +15 HP really does help a lot, and the negation of fall damage does wonders when you're facing a rapid fire soldier with maxed blast resist and he's bouncing you around like a yoyo.

That said, items that inflict minicrits for your teammates (buff banner, jarate, fan-o-war, sandman ball with the upgrade) or slow them down (mad milk with upgrade, jarate with upgrade, natascha, rage knockback on heavy, airblast power on pyro) are invaluable. If you have a competent pyro who can air-juggle a sentry buster, you can basically negate the threat until you can kill it.

Other weapon-specific notes: the Phlogistinator is actually very good in this mode: you'll build your gauge very rapidly. Buy health on kill and uber canteens, and set your canteen off right when your taunt ends. You'll be a fully-healed kritzed and ubered bundle of death, leaving the medic to pop his uber on one of your other teammates for double trouble. You lose out on airblast, which is a huge downside, but it turns the pyro from a support class into a tank.

The pistol is hilariously effective when upgraded. It fires faster than a minigun with higher accuracy and deals a minimum of 8 damage even at extreme range. Coupling it with the soda popper for minicrits means 24 damage per shot, 36 shots per clip, and going through two to two and a half clips.

Upgrading the regular flare gun can also dish out some ridiculous damage. It's hard to explain, but try it out sometime on a normal map.

Weapons to avoid:
    Axtinguisher: anything worth using it on is better served by killing it with fire or getting the hell out of its way.
    Manmelter: pretty terrible in this mode, especially without the ability to upgrade its recharge speed.
    Gunslinger: (unless your team already has a very good engineer you're planning to support) the decrease in firepower is just not worthwhile.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Firbolg in the Playground

Manmelter: pretty terrible in this mode, especially without the ability to upgrade its recharge speed.
    FTFY.

And really, I'm pretty sure the way to be successful on any MvM mission is basically just to have a decent team who know what they need to be doing.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

Weapons to avoid:
    Axtinguisher: anything worth using it on is better served by killing it with fire or getting the hell out of its way.
    Gunslinger: (unless your team already has a very good engineer you're planning to support) the decrease in firepower is just not worthwhile.
    I forgot to note that the Loch-n-Load with clip upgrades is even more lethal. Try firing a cluster of grenades into a group, each with more splash damage and overall damage than normal. It's still tricky, but sometimes, worth the risk.

Note: sometimes.

The Widowmaker is also very helpful, though the Frontier Justice easily makes it second-best.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

I forgot to note that the Loch-n-Load with clip upgrades is even more lethal. Try firing a cluster of grenades into a group, each with more splash damage and overall damage than normal. It's still tricky, but sometimes, worth the risk.

Note: sometimes.

The Widowmaker is also very helpful, though the Frontier Justice easily makes it second-best.
    Widowmaker + kritz canteen + piercing + full firing speed upgrades = lollery

EDIT: Also, I have a special place in my heart for the Hitman's Heatmaker in this mode: if you can get a focus tripped right when a giant is coming in, you can get off a truly ridiculous amount of damage by repeated charged headshots without having to un/re-scope.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2012-09-15 at 11:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Thank you very much! Being annoying as a spy has never been more fun.
    No problem, just don't annoy me with it.

Also, sorry we lost you at the end of the mvm round...

Would like to say, even as a fairly incompetent medic, you can pull it off. Did the endurance level earlier today and learned for the first time that upgrades on the normal medi gun [which I use for normal play, and forgot to unequip] do not carry over to the kritzkrieg. Was saddened by this, though I suppose normal ubers are still nice for team survivability at least.

Also, it takes just one person who isn't contributing to lose the game. Wish to your lucky stars that if you play with randoms, you get a halfway competent person.

Things of note:
    Soldier - Buff Banner - with the Beggar's Bazooka, you will deal tons of damage fast, so you can wave the banner any time a tough foe or a tank comes by to give entire team a nice boost.

Second/thirding Frontier Justice - at end of round destruct and rebuild sentry. You will have quite a few guaranteed crits now.

Nice little tactics:
    If you have a heavy and engie, it can be useful to build the dispenser around the corner from the bots up by the heavy rather than by your sentry. Most of the good sentry spots will have a full ammo crate nearby that you can use.

On that note, if you lack an engineer, a heavy/medic combo can basically act as a sentry in the front right of coaltown - cover for medic, a full ammo pack, and only one out of the way entrance. Keep them up there, a scout running below, and people at the end of the walkway, and you can do some decent damage for quite some time.

Also, while weapon upgrades are nice, do not neglect your resistances! If you know that this level will have lots of giant heavies or rapid fire soldiers, investing even one point in it will be helpful. This though you might want to save for a later round, or look up what the level throws at you, as putting +75% fire resistance up for first wave and then never seeing another pyro the entire match can be quite disappointing.

Last note: grab money! Even if he does nothing else, a scout on the team grabbing money is a wonderful thing. Lacking a scout, you will have to move forwards yourself to get it, but if you can get all the money in a round, it is worth it. Remember, full credit = +100 bonus. That adds up over 7 rounds.

Aside from that, I will leave it to the more knowledgeable people to give advice.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

so much this.

@^ i prefer missile destroy over blast resistance. 100% of 0 is 0.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Weapons to consider using as each class:
    • Mad Milk. This is a given; improve survivability, slow enemies, and help allies all in one jar.
    • Beggar's Bazooka (with an upgraded clip, it's EVIL).*1
    • Flamethrower and Neon Annihilator (don't rely on your own burning to get crits; have allies chuck a Jarate or Mad Milk at a field of enemies, slowing them down and letting you really lay waste to them). Why no Degreaser? Because the Flamethrower's extra burn time and damage is a lot more helpful here; the Shotgun is also more viable when upgraded to shoot faster with more shells and damage.*2
    • Scottish Resistance. Any complaints can be filed in my "does not give a flying" box right over there.
    • Brass Beast and Sandvich.*3
    • Frontier Justice (add ammo to the clip!) and Wrangler. Jag also helps, 'cause you're not going to be hitting anything with your wrench anyways.
    • KritzKrieg and a bonesaw of your choice. Most of the straight upgrades are good picks.*4
    • The Machina in big crowds will do a lot of damage at full charge. Penetrate a single robot? How about four? Jarate is also necessary to help that dashing Pyro, and other allies.
    • The Diamondback or Ambassador, and a tossup between the Spy-cicle and challenging (but incredibly effective) Eternal Reward/Wanga Prick.
    For the most part, I agree with what he has here, but let me add some addendum to these:
    1. Also buy Ammo Capacity, because the Begger's Bazooka doesn't gain ammo from despensers, only ammo crates ('bots don't drop any ammo. ) With this in mind, take note of where all the ammo crates are before you start the round, so you know where to retreat.
    2. The Third Degree is also a handy weapon on waves with Robot Medics, especially if they come in "Octo-heavy" groups. However, be sure to have a Uber Canteen when you're approaching Giant Heavies.
    3. While the Brass Beast is powerful, I would argue to use Natasha instead, especially on waves where there are Giant Scouts. It's also helpful against Sentry Busters, since it slows them down to snail's pace.
    4. I may be wrong, but the Ubersaw's "Gain 25% Uber on hit" doesn't work on robots. Might be lag on my part, but I would recommend either the Vita-Saw (if you end up dying a lot,) Amputator, or the Solemn Vow (though all players can see Giant Robot's and Enemy Tank health.)

One last general tip; Pick a class/loadout and stick with it the entire map. If you joined in the middle of a mission, you have the most freedom to choose whatever class/loadout you want. For the sake of your team, be the class they need, not the class you want to be. This applies to normal play too.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

I recommend the Amputator and crossbow load out for medic. The additional boost in health regen has saved my life many times. The fast speed on the amputator (compared to others) also helps.

Upgrades for medic:
    Max your kritz gun. get uber canteens and then go for bullet resist, missle resist and speed, if you have the money. But frequent Kritz, faster healing, longer Kritz, sharing ubers takes priority.

Edit. I've come into possession of a level 69 Cosa Nostra. Not being a level collector I'm trying to trade it. the base price is 1.66 refined and from what I read level 69 means adding a reclaimed. Does anyone want it for 2 refined?
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-09-16 at 05:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Melee weapon upgrades are only good if you want to go pony riding on the tank.
    Despite everything, its still me.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    So what you're saying is, max out melee upgrades first. Because who doesn't want to go pony riding on a tank?

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Or if you're an Engi.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Melee upgrades (like swing speed) and very viable for the Engineer, but that's the extent of it. I've seen some wicked "health on kill/swing speed" Demoknights do some insane damage, focusing only on their Eyelander and resistance upgrades.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Melee upgrades (like swing speed) and very viable for the Engineer, but that's the extent of it. I've seen some wicked "health on kill/swing speed" Demoknights do some insane damage, focusing only on their Eyelander and resistance upgrades.
    Yea, I came across one Demo knight, and it looked fun with what he was doing.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Re: [Steam]-y Thread XXX: Throwing titles out the window!

Works pretty awesome on a Candy Cane/Holy Mackerel/Sun on a Stick/Sandman scout too. Especially Candy Cane (for survivability) or Sandman (for stun/mark for death).

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone want to Mann Up right about now?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Grudge Match of the Century:
    Last night was the first match between LG and Spacewhales after superstar scout Clockwork left LG for the Whales. Very serious LAN implications for Spacewhales, but more important than that is the narrative of trust & betrayal (it's not that dramatic, but still). Turned out to be a great game, if you have half an hour you should check it out here.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that I've gotten the Deus Ex Collection, is there any particular order people play the games? Like order of release or plot chronological order? Basically, which one should I play first.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

I recommend HR, the first game, then IW.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

23. - Top - End - #413

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    I recommend HR, the first game, then IW.
    Thats how the plot is. Perhaps the best way to play through them. If you got questions, we can answer them.
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I may be wrong, but the Ubersaw's "Gain 25% Uber on hit" doesn't work on robots. Might be lag on my part, but I would recommend either the Vita-Saw (if you end up dying a lot,) Amputator, or the Solemn Vow (though all players can see Giant Robot's and Enemy Tank health.)
    The Ubersaw's effect should work here, I think it works here. I've struck small robots that have made their way to the hatch, and also been able to use an Uber Canteen, hit a giant robot for a quick meter fill, and run back to my teammates to Kritz them. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I was desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublock View Post
    Yea, I came across one Demo knight, and it looked fun with what he was doing.
    You should try it. If you are decent at survival the first couple rounds, the rest of the mission is so much fun.

I heard that an upgraded Bison's good if you don't go for the banners, but I have yet to try it out.

I've also found it useful to destroy Sniper bots as soon as they enter the field so they wouldn't be a pain later when the team's trying to destroy bigger problems.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

25. - Top - End - #415

So IW kinda got disowned by everyone. People just pretend it doesn't exist. If you do play it, tell me why.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Gaelbert:

Wow, that door went huge.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

27. - Top - End - #417

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Gaelbert:

Wow, that door went huge.
    Door MVP. Made all the big plays.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Throwing up an MvM server in about fifteen minutes. Hit me up if you want an invite.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Dammit. Tris managed to convince me to buy borderlands 2 with his group of 3. So I agreed, but I'd like to have him record the video and upload it later here on the forum. So, with minimal play experience of borderlands 1, I will be playing borderlands 2 with Triscuitable for all to see.

The updates won't be regular, as we have to work around school and each others schedules as well as tris having to find time to edit the videos, but here's hoping for the future!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Start of the season I know, but I am officially the head of the #1 Team in UGC.

Group for proof.