New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam]-y Thread 30: Throwing titles out the window!

I got the Dustforce bundle, todays sale. It came with the soundtrack for a buck fifty more than the game, so I opted for that. However, I have no idea how to access the soundtrack. The game downloaded fine, but the music was nowhere in my library that I could see.

Help?
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Partof1 View Post
    I got the Dustforce bundle, todays sale. It came with the soundtrack for a buck fifty more than the game, so I opted for that. However, I have no idea how to access the soundtrack. The game downloaded fine, but the music was nowhere in my library that I could see.

Help?
    I thought the same when I got Bastion and its soundtrack. Then I found it inside the steam/steamapps/common/bastion folder. Maybe try looking in the common/dustforce folder?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

3. - Top - End - #1113

That's exactly where it was. Thank you.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Dustforce has ONE Steam achievement???

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Dustforce has ONE Steam achievement???
    And Hotline: Miami has an achievement for unlocking all achievements. In order to unlock it, you have to unlock it.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    And Hotline: Miami has an achievement for unlocking all achievements. In order to unlock it, you have to unlock it.
    ಠ_ಠ My.. Brain....

Uhh, so, hi guys! Long time no steam!

I recently picked up the THQ bundle... Mostly for Darksiders. >>;

But anyways, I just recently got a smartphone (Welcome to the present, Matt...) -An android, in particular. So I was wondering, does the Steam Mobile app let you play some games you own on your phone? Or is it just kinda a chat thing?

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    But anyways, I just recently got a smartphone (Welcome to the present, Matt...) -An android, in particular. So I was wondering, does the Steam Mobile app let you play some games you own on your phone? Or is it just kinda a chat thing?
    Oh man, if only I could play Spacechem on my iPhone.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Oh man, if only I could play Spacechem on my iPhone.
    iPad only. Bastion, on the other hand...

9. - Top - End - #1119

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    ಠ_ಠ My.. Brain....

Uhh, so, hi guys! Long time no steam!

I recently picked up the THQ bundle... Mostly for Darksiders. >>;

To my knowledge, it does not let you play any games.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've spent 160 hours playing Team Fortress 2, and I've never felt more like quitting the game. There must be some kind of systemic flaw in my playstyle, but I've got absolutely no clue what it is. In my last game of Dustbowl, I managed to get all of five kills, and over forty deaths in two rounds. This is sadly par for the course, for me. I feel like a complete n00b, and it feels horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, anyone have Metro 2033 installed. Do they know why the game suddenly downloaded 2.3 GBs of data in updates?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    I've spent 160 hours playing Team Fortress 2, and I've never felt more like quitting the game. There must be some kind of systemic flaw in my playstyle, but I've got absolutely no clue what it is. In my last game of Dustbowl, I managed to get all of five kills, and over forty deaths in two rounds. This is sadly par for the course, for me. I feel like a complete n00b, and it feels horrible.
    Might I suggest you take some replays? Might be a good way to see what's going on the battlefield. Plus, you can show it to someone else (preferably someone you can trust to give you honest, helpful critiques rather than posting it online and get blasted with "TROLOLOL F2P n00b!") if you still can't figure out what's going on.

Also, there's a wide host of Tutorial videos on Youtube on each of the classes.

And then there are times when you honestly have a bad day. Take a break. Never let past failures hold you back from achieving future success.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    And then there are times when you honestly have a bad day. Take a break. Never let past failures hold you back from achieving future success.
    This, of course, is sound advice, even out of the arena.

I myself tend towards the 5 kills:40 death ratios when I'm playing a class that doesn't fit my style, say scout or demo or spy.

Is there any trend to your deaths or classes that you're playing?

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey, anyone have Metro 2033 installed. Do they know why the game suddenly downloaded 2.3 GBs of data in updates?
    Hi-res texture pack, Ranger mode, PhysX and tessellation modules, etc.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

Hi-res texture pack, Ranger mode, PhysX and tessellation modules, etc.
    Oh, so things will now be prettier? (In a post-apocalyptic world with hideous monsters kind of prettier.)
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Take a break. Never let past failures hold you back from achieving future success.
    Well, there's also the point that you should be playing a *game* to have fun, and if playing it makes you feel horrible, there's definitely something not right!

17. - Top - End - #1127

On top of what the others said, you can try out different servers. Different groups have a variety of servers, with regulars of varying ability. My personal stomping grounds are the Pony Fortress servers - decent mix of complete newbies and veterans.

Also one other sidenote: play a class the team needs. There is nothing that makes me rage more* than when I am the only spy on team, doing well, and then I suddenly see about 4-5 more spies on team and no medics. This goes the same with other classes too - 4-5 medics end up just getting in each others ways, 4-5 snipers just end up getting killed fast, and so on.

*Oh, I am sure that I can find something, lets not test it though
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

Been playing Endless Space of late. It definitely feels like Galactic Civilization lite.

The only thing I can't figure is how the AI manages to race ahead in tech even if I did everything by the book. Hmmm...

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, you can invite someone from here to your game after asking so they can take a look at your playstyle and told you any potential problems? Sometimes, thing no one mentioned yet, 5:40 KD is just fault of pubstomping player, or group of players, who join servers with a lot less skilled gameplay to troll anyone weaker than them - if you see someone hold multiple times the points of other players, it's probably the case...

Well, this, too?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

20. - Top - End - #1130

Out of curiosity, what class(es) do you play?

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'd like to say that if you really care about your K:D, don't play pubs (or even TF2 in general). It doesn't matter much, and it makes you more frustrated than it's worth. You have bad days sometimes. It happens. And no matter how good you're playing, if you don't have a solid, consistent team to back you up there's not much you can do. But if you're still disappointed with how you're playing in pubs, replays and taking an objective look at your gameplay is probably the best idea. I'd be willing to look at some replays or demos if you want. I'm not the greatest, but I play competitive and that really helps develop a critical eye for mistakes.
    Just going off the top of my head though, the biggest problem that I see people make (in comp and pubs) is overextending. Particularly in pubs, it's completely chaotic so you need to be very aware of who you're surrounded by and the quality of the players you have with you. Don't push forward by yourself. It may take time to develop the patience to move with others, but you are exponentially more powerful when paired up with even one other person than you are on your own. When there are two targets, enemies often do a terrible job at focus firing and you'll both survive with decent amounts of health. When you're the only target though, it depends much more on your individual skill and DM. If you're a scout with amazing dodging and aim and DM, then by all means, run into the middle of a cloud of enemies and meatshot them to death. But that's not what it sounds like your situation is.
    This goes especially with pub demoman. It is ridiculously easy to rack up kill streaks on demo if you just stay back a ways and spam pills. Put a couple stickies in front of you or on a wall nearby, det them whenever anyone rushes you, and you're golden.

22. - Top - End - #1132

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. I made a few replays like you guys said, and it's amazing how the errors just leap out at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    Out of curiosity, what class(es) do you play?

Soldier, Demo, Pyro, occasionally Scout or Heavy. Anything that can kick *** and take names.
    Last edited by Teln; 2012-12-05 at 06:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Troll in the Playground

Every class is built to "kick ass and take names". It just depends your skill with said class. Some are more subtle than others, but they're all designed to slaughter, directly or indirectly.

24. - Top - End - #1134

Every class is built to "kick ass and take names". It just depends your skill with said class. Some are more subtle than others, but they're all designed to slaughter, directly or indirectly.
    I agree, the fact that no one class is overpowered is one of the reasons TF2 is so great.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Troll in the Playground

Scout: Challenging to learn, but makes a good distraction or finishing class. Get a substitute bat ASAP; the default doesn't have DPS close to your Scattergun. A new secondary can help, too.

Soldier: Easy to start, hard to master. Hit hard and rocket jump. Slow on the ground, fast in the air. A decent melee weapon should also be considered. Get really, really good with the Reserve Shooter.

Pyro: Seems easy to play. In truth, you've been doing it wrong the whole time. Your effectiveness as a Pyro demands you ambush and use shock tactics. Play like a Spy that can't cloak. Use the almighty combo of the Degreaser, Reserve Shooter, and Axtinguisher.

Demoman: The class has been simplified to the point where Sticky Spam is sadly, a viable strategy. Sticky jump sparingly, as you only have so much health.

Heavy: Go with classes that help you suppress (Engineer, Medic), and lay down the fire on enemies. Not too complex; just be the support. Your standard minigun should be good, but a Sandvich is absolutely crucial at this point. A good alternatively melee weapon could also help.

Engineer: Find a defensible place and set up shop. Make sure it's convenient for your team, as well. If you're working for yourself, then you're not helping anyone. The Widowmaker or Frontier Justice are a necessity; the Gunslinger is nice for offensive play, as well.

Medic: Heal, heal, heal. If you're alone, go find someone. You're very fragile, so working in a team will make sure you have cover (i.e., meatshields). Don't ever go alone; you're pathetically weak in 1-versus-anything battle. The Amputator and Solemn Vow are straight upgrades, so pick one unless you find a good alternative.

Sniper: Don't play this class unless you're 100% certain you can click on heads like a pro. Use powerful rifles that focus on damage; chances are, if you're caught by an enemy, you'll be within range to slam down Jarate and whack away with the Bushwacka.

Spy: Use the Dead Ringer for the optimal playstyle. The Saharan Spy set is very effective if you use the three in tandem. Otherwise, the Diamondback is a great weapon to use on turtling teams: it'll break right through their defenses. If you lack any of the above, the standard revolver and watch are great; it's just that you'll want to find a good knife to use instead. Like the Sniper, make sure you can get behind your enemies as often as possible. Don't disguise as anything obvious, either: the Scout, Engineer, Medic, and Spy are very obvious choices (the Scout is faster, the Engineer is expected to have a base, the Medic should heal at all times, and you don't see an undisguised Spy running around).

Final note: Most weapons are sidegrades; don't be afraid to use a default weapon, as they're generally the most reliable choice.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-12-05 at 07:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Scout: Challenging to learn, but makes a good distraction or finishing class. Get a substitute bat ASAP; the default doesn't have DPS close to your Scattergun. A new secondary can help, too.
    You shouldn't really be using a bat for DPS as a scout. I'd suggest the atomizer, as it's a straight upgrade and that third jump can come in handy sometimes, or the Boston Basher. I prefer the Basher as you can use it to help a medic charge faster. It has the added bonus of not being banned in 6s if that's something you're working for. As for secondaries, there's not much better than the standard pistol if you halfway decent tracking. The throwing cleaver is good if you have decent aim, but it's not quite as flexible.

Soldier: Easy to start, hard to master. Hit hard and rocket jump. Slow on the ground, fast in the air. A decent melee weapon should also be considered. Get really, really good with the Reserve Shooter.
    Secondaries for soldier should either be gunboats if you like to jump around a lot and you have good enough aim to make due with only 4 rockets, or the standard shotgun. If you have good enough aim to reliably pop enemies up in the air, you don't need the added mini-crits of the reserve shooter. The shotgun does much, much better in extended fights. It is ridiculously easy to run out of ammo.
    For the melee, I like the escape plan although the equalizer or the disciplinary action can be useful as well.
    A lot of soldier is based on positioning. Height advantage and spamming rockets can get you a lot of kills, as can spamming rockets from around a corner. Don't be ashamed of getting your kills through splash damage.

Pyro: Seems easy to play. In truth, you've been doing it wrong the whole time. Your effectiveness as a Pyro demands you ambush and use shock tactics. Play like a Spy that can't cloak. Use the almighty combo of the Degreaser, Reserve Shooter, and Axtinguisher.
    Pyro is the best at area denial. Find a closed in area, close quarters, and there is little that can beat a pyro. Airblast with Reserve Shooter is a lot of fun. Flare Gun with crits are pretty incredibe. The hitbox for the Flare Gun is quite generous, meaning you can spam flares into doorways and get kills.

Demoman: The class has been simplified to the point where Sticky Spam is sadly, a viable strategy. Sticky jump sparingly, as you only have so much health.
    Sticky spam has always been viable. Pill spam is pretty viable too. Sticky jumper with the caber is a lot of fun though.

Medic: Heal, heal, heal. If you're alone, go find someone. You're very fragile, so working in a team will make sure you have cover (i.e., meatshields). Don't ever go alone; you're pathetically weak in 1-versus-anything battle. The Amputator and Solemn Vow are straight upgrades, so pick one unless you find a good alternative.
    I like the ubersaw, although the vitasaw is probably the best for pubs. Don't be afraid to abandon someone if they're leading you to your death. Don't run in somewhere unless you know you can run back out.

Final note: Most weapons are sidegrades; don't be afraid to use a default weapon, as they're generally the most reliable choice.
    Indeed. The stock weapons (outside of pyro) are almost always more flexible and better for the majority of situations. Everything else has its use in a specific time and place, but they're often too situational.

27. - Top - End - #1137

Don't disguise as anything obvious, either: the Scout, Engineer, Medic, and Spy are very obvious choices (the Scout is faster, the Engineer is expected to have a base, the Medic should heal at all times, and you don't see an undisguised Spy running around).
    • When you disguise as a spy, the other team sees a friendly spy disguised as something else; not an undisguised spy. This, in turn, means that an undisguised spy is never an enemy spy.
    • Scout disguise is very easy to hide due to its size, so it can help if you use the Dead Ringer.
    • Engie is situational; mostly, use it when you're around their spawn, and put your wrench out.
    • People are very willing to believe you're a medic if you make it so the medigun is out instead of the syringe gun, especially if they're on fire or low on health. This abuse of trust sometimes makes me feel bad, but then I remember the spy shouting 'Medic! Medic! Medic!' and I laugh.
    Last edited by Castel; 2012-12-05 at 09:33 PM.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not really. I would consider picking people off to be different to "kicking ass and taking names", so that's the Sniper and Spy out, Medic is not built for combat, and the Engineer lets his sentry kick ass for him.

Heavy:
    *snip*
    a Sandvich is absolutely crucial at this point.
    Not really true since the nerf means it's now 4 seconds to regain health. It's still a superior option for team support, but if you're just out for yourself (not unreasonable in pubs) the Shotgun can have its uses.

A good alternatively melee weapon could also help.
    If you're melee-ing as Heavy, you're most likely messing around or doing it wrong, because your minigun will always do more damage.

Engineer:
    *snip*
    The Widowmaker or Frontier Justice are a necessity;
    This is your opinion. Obviously that should be taken as read in general, but when you throw out a word like 'necessity' I feel it is important to acknowledge that this is not an absolute objective fact. The stock Shotgun is entirely viable.
    If you use the Pomson, I will have to resist the urge to murder you in your sleep.

Sniper: Don't play this class unless you're 100% certain you can click on heads like a pro.
    The Huntsman and the Sydney Sleeper would like to have a word with you.

Spy: Use the Dead Ringer for the optimal playstyle.
    Again, opinion. In my opinion, there is no single optimal playstyle - all are situational.

Spy:
    *snip*
    Otherwise, the Diamondback is a great weapon to use on turtling teams: it'll break right through their defenses.
    Eh, just use the Ambassador. Aiming headshots is easier than sapping things.

and you don't see an undisguised Spy running around).
    Pretty sure when you disguise as Spy you will in fact appear to be a disguised Spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Secondaries for soldier should either be gunboats if you like to jump around a lot and you have good enough aim to make due with only 4 rockets, or the standard shotgun.
    Hey, banners are valid options, at least in pubs.

For the melee, I like the escape plan although the equalizer or the disciplinary action can be useful as well.
    Market Gardener if you have the rocket jumping ability to pull it off.

I like the ubersaw, although the vitasaw is probably the best for pubs.
    I really can't understand why someone would use the Vitasaw in pubs (Or by extension, at all, since it's banned in comp play). Caring that much about your uber percentage seems like taking it more seriously than I would expect in pub play, and notably, the Vitasaw is boring. The effect is passive, it just gives you less health and sometimes more uber when you spawn. Whereas the Amputator and the Ubersaw abilities are things you can actively do (And Ubersawing people is fun). The Solemn Vow I feel is only really useful if you're communicating with people and can tell them who's on low health. Since as a Medic you don't expect to be fighting people directly yourself, knowing their HP isn't so relevant unless you relay the information to the people who are.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ettin in the Playground

I will also note that using Dead Ringer as a Spy is a fast way to adopt bad habits that will make you a less effective spy in the long run. Best familiarise yourself with the stock Invisiwatch before galloping off to use the CnD or DR.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-12-05 at 10:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I will also note that using Dead Ringer as a Spy is a fast way to adopt bad habits that will make you a less effective spy in the long run. Best familiarise yourself with the stock Invisiwatch before galloping off to use the CnD or DR.
    The idea is that I expect someone who is playing the Spy to be familiar with the class, not unlike a Sniper. Besides, my piece is all opinion based; quite frankly, if you try to mimic my playstyles, bad things might happen. I fly between different loadouts so often it's best not to think about what kind of insane stuff I've tried before.

Anyways, I've been playing more Battlefield 3 than I have TF2, so there's that.