New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam]-y Thread 30: Throwing titles out the window!

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    He said, on the internet.
    No, internet is no problem for me.
    I just think it is unfair for others.
    Being a Hipster is too mainstream.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TrioThePunch View Post
    No, internet is no problem for me.
    I just think it is unfair for others.
    Others who are presumably buying games on the internet?
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    And needed the internet to download Steam and the games in the first place?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, it's not like internet providers block non-essential services, like that one Vapor game thingy-and-are-you-sure-you're-using-legit-stuff-asked-concerned-troubleshooter, nor like they can drastically dial down your download speed if you try to download a game in one sitting, you non-DVD using pirate, you.

Of course having access to basic HTML forum, (something that in big chunk of the EU is completely free of charge) implies perfect, 100% access to high quality net and suggesting anyone could have problems with downloading or running these intrusive, 100% online DRM systems is completely wrong, am I rite?

For the record, at one provider I couldn't use Steam for a year at all, despite perfect 10 mb/s line, just because Valve's DRM paranoia and running of certain service on one and only one port meant I wasn't able to download one kilobyte from games I owned, nor run these I downloaded elsewhere, but hey, Internet is just Internet, right?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yes, it's not like internet providers block non-essential services, like that one Vapor game thingy-and-are-you-sure-you're-using-legit-stuff-asked-concerned-troubleshooter, nor like they can drastically dial down your download speed if you try to download a game in one sitting, you non-DVD using pirate, you.

Of course having access to basic HTML forum, (something that in big chunk of the EU is completely free of charge) implies perfect, 100% access to high quality net and suggesting anyone could have problems with downloading or running these intrusive, 100% online DRM systems is completely wrong, am I rite?

For the record, at one provider I couldn't use Steam for a year at all, despite perfect 10 mb/s line, just because Valve's DRM paranoia and running of certain service on one and only one port meant I wasn't able to download one kilobyte from games I owned, nor run these I downloaded elsewhere, but hey, Internet is just Internet, right?
    That sounds like a problem with the ISP and not a problem with steam.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Troll in the Playground

If I may address the comment on "You don't own your games when you buy them on Steam"
    No one can claim to own a game they purchased for PC, not in the last 20 years. So this comment seems less coherent discussion material and more "Kids, get off of my lawn, in my day . . ." material.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds like a problem with the ISP and not a problem with steam.
    Yes, because insistence of running service in one specific way when everything else is able to adapt and work, is obviously the fault of everything else.

Sure, we can assume perfect, masless spherical internet provider tailored to Steam's needs, or hand-wave problems with bans claiming it only ever affects guilty, but sadly real life doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    If I may address the comment on "You don't own your games when you buy them on Steam"
    No one can claim to own a game they purchased for PC, not in the last 20 years. So this comment seems less coherent discussion material and more "Kids, get off of my lawn, in my day . . ." material.
    European ownership & fair usage rights would like to have a word with that.

For one, Steam breaking EU laws might mean soon EU users will, as the only ones, be able to resell their Steam games, not to mention ignore illegal end-user license agreement changes.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

So, from what I've heard, the new humble bundle gives separate codes for each game. Thinking of getting it(primiarly for the 2 purchases gotten by beating the average), and was wondering if anyone would be interested in Shank 2 or the Binding of Issac.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Pixie in the Playground

You can still buy games on a disk in a store

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    And needed the internet to download Steam and the games in the first place?
    You don't need to download all games on steam, you can buy them on a disk. You can't get steam though, that means that your game that you paid for is basically useless.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

o_o ....

I... I just finished Analogue: A Hate Story

I just...

Whaaaaatt did Iiiiiii Just reeaadddddd...

So horrible. Just.. Oh gods. So horrible.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

So I'm about to start playing Dishonored. Is there anything I should know or keep in mind about this game before starting?

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    So I'm about to start playing Dishonored. Is there anything I should know or keep in mind about this game before starting?
    If you think there's only a good choice and bad choice, you're wrong. There's dozens of ways you could play the game. You'll be rewarded for the following:

• Never using any magic spells beyond "Blink", and never upgrading any skills.
    • Never upgrading any weapons.
    • Never killing anyone.
    • Sparing even your assassination targets.
    • Never being seen, ever.
    • Killing everyone!
    • Upgrading your weapons to the max.
    • Upgrading all spells and skills to the max.

Just mix-and-match. The game is really replayable, and not too long.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Exactly, at that price, there's not really much risk (unless you wanted to buy a soda from a vending machine later, in which case you're outta luck).

True, but I wouldn't introduce my girlfriend to video games through SMB. I'd start with Minecraft and Prince of Persia. Easy to explain, easy to play, fun all-around.

On another note, Amazon has Dead Island GOTY for $6, and Dungeon Defenders for $2.50. If you wanted to buy them on Steam, save yourself a good chunk of cash and get them through Amazon (they include Steam keys).
    Erm, no. I'd get it from Humble bundle for 6.41 $ and also get all the DLC's plus some other games, including Legend of Grimrock.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Erm, no. I'd get it from Humble bundle for 6.41 $ and also get all the DLC's plus some other games, including Legend of Grimrock.
    Well it's quite obvious that that's the best option. I was just noting that when Steam blatantly advertises a big deal on Dungeon Defenders while Amazon has a better deal, you may as well go with Amazon instead. Besides, you can't buy a 2-pack of the game through the Humble Bundle for $5.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Orc in the Playground

So, I got Crusader Kings 2 this week when it was 75% off. So far it's the best game I bought in a long time. I was reluctant to buy it at full price, cause 40€ for a 500mb game seemed kinda pricey. But man I'm glad I finally got to play to play it. This is so much fun! I feel kinda bad now for being a Total War-fan boy all these years

Can anyone suggest a good DLC? I was mainly looking at Sword of the Islam. Does it improve gameplay in any way, or do I just spend 5€ to unlock the muslim states?

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ettin in the Playground

The same people who may not have money for internet one month, but still might like to play their games that they paid for?

Yeah, I'd say that's steam's biggest issue and why piracy has some legitimate claims when it comes to protesting limited access of a product you pay to have available.

If you buy the lisence to play the game, you should be able to play it any time, anywhere, and if you're offline any way you want that does include cheats offline because it can add vitality to an ailing interest, and if you're not damaging other people's experience, what's the harm?

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Steam does have an offline mode that's working a lot better nowadays... you download the game, then set steam to offline mode, and voila! offline gaming.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Steam does have an offline mode that's working a lot better nowadays... you download the game, then set steam to offline mode, and voila! offline gaming.
    This.

It can still be a bit finicky on some games, but I haven't had a problem with it for most of this year...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murmaider View Post
    So, I got Crusader Kings 2 this week when it was 75% off. So far it's the best game I bought in a long time. I was reluctant to buy it at full price, cause 40€ for a 500mb game seemed kinda pricey. But man I'm glad I finally got to play to play it. This is so much fun! I feel kinda bad now for being a Total War-fan boy all these years

Can anyone suggest a good DLC? I was mainly looking at Sword of the Islam. Does it improve gameplay in any way, or do I just spend 5€ to unlock the muslim states?
    The Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome are a must if you're looking to play the respective states later. Otherwise, they're not needed. However, Legacy of Rome is needed in order to unlock retinues, which are very useful as a private standing army. You can do without them, but it will certainly limit your options a little.

For ahistorical lulz, you can also look at Sunset Invasion to trigger the Aztec horde on Western Europe at around 1300s thereabouts. (Similar to how the Mongols will appear in the 13th century.)

I'd also recommend the songs DLC, if only because I love Waldersoft's works.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-12-23 at 07:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    This.

It can still be a bit finicky on some games, but I haven't had a problem with it for most of this year...
    You have to set it to offline mode from the internet,
    that means if your internet stops working, and you aren't in offline mode, you can't play the game.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    The same people who may not have money for internet one month, but still might like to play their games that they paid for?

Yeah, I'd say that's steam's biggest issue and why piracy has some legitimate claims when it comes to protesting limited access of a product you pay to have available.

If you buy the lisence to play the game, you should be able to play it any time, anywhere, and if you're offline any way you want that does include cheats offline because it can add vitality to an ailing interest, and if you're not damaging other people's experience, what's the harm?
    The more fun you can get out of a game, the less games you will need to buy to keep yourself entertained.
    Valve knows that they will earn less money because of that.
    Valve knows if you can sell a game for cheaper than on their online store, then they will earn less money. They will still earn money, just less of it.
    People will still be experiencing fun.'

It is possible reason he was criticising Windows 8 and XBox Live was because Microsoft was not willing to let him and Valve shove Steam and Steamworks down their throat. The Windows store would offer alternative ways to get games other than Steam, which would threaten Steam's monopoly over the digital distribution of games. He claims that Windows 8 is a catastrophy because it threatens the open nature of the PC. Of course, he supports Apple, which has an extremely closed nature, and he is in charge of Steam, which forces you to have an internet connection to install games and to play games, and which allows Valve employees to have the ability to ban you from your account, and all the games you paid for at will.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

You have to set it to offline mode from the internet,
    that means if your internet stops working, and you aren't in offline mode, you can't play the game.
    Not true, you can 'login' on offline mode with no internet connection, and games will work if they're installed.

Also edit your post instead of double posting.
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2012-12-23 at 06:49 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

Things would be a whole lot better for me if my laptop could play games or if my desktop had internet.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    If you think there's only a good choice and bad choice, you're wrong. There's dozens of ways you could play the game. You'll be rewarded for the following:

• Never using any magic spells beyond "Blink", and never upgrading any skills.
    • Never upgrading any weapons.
    • Never killing anyone.
    • Sparing even your assassination targets.
    • Never being seen, ever.
    • Killing everyone!
    • Upgrading your weapons to the max.
    • Upgrading all spells and skills to the max.

Just mix-and-match. The game is really replayable, and not too long.
    Hmm, alright.

I'm semi-tempted to record this, but I doubt anyone would want to watch. Meh.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

if you are banned from steam, you lose all your games.
    Solution: don't do something that would get you banned from Steam.

Secondly, you are forced to have an internet connection, which costs money. So in addition to having to pay money for the game, you have to pay money for the internet.
    $19.99/month, unlimited access DSL, and I've seen it cheaper.

cannot set steam to offline mode because you need an internet connection initially to do that.
    As noted above: myth busted.

threaten Steam's monopoly over the digital distribution of games.
    EA Origin ring a bell?

Steam, which forces you to have an internet connection to install games
    Which, if you can afford a computer that can play those games, and you can afford the games themselves, odds are you can afford the Internet to install them...

and to play games
    Myth busted.

and which allows Valve employees to have the ability to ban you from your account, and all the games you paid for at will.
    Follow Wheaton's Law and don't get banned.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

You can be an absolute arse the likes of which the world has never seen, and still exist on Steam. It's when you start using hacks when you'll see a VAC ban slapped on you. Even scamming only keeps you from trading.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, you need to be online to set Steam to Offline, I believe. But just set offline after you guy the game, and poof, you never need to go back online again unless you want to play multiplayer, update the game (which, 95% of the time, would have involved going online anyway unless you download an .exe file on another computer and transfer it via flash drive or something), or buy another game (which involves the internet).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Well, you need to be online to set Steam to Offline, I believe.
    No; you can tell Steam to open in offline mode, without being online at all.

Last edited by The Bushranger; 2012-12-23 at 09:39 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    No; you can tell Steam to open in offline mode, without being online at all.

I can attest to this. There were several times now which I am unable to connect to the Internet and Steam booted up just fine in Offline Mode.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I can attest to this. There were several times now which I am unable to connect to the Internet and Steam booted up just fine in Offline Mode.
    Likewise. My connection can be pretty darn flaky, even though it is the best available to me at present, and Steam is fully usable. I'm always prompted to start Steam in offline mode when a connecton is unavailable.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.