New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Soul Eater WIP

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Soul Eater WIP

Ive been rolling this idea around in my head for awhile. A dm of mine tried to make it but he refused player input and it was a mess it was way over complicated 64 something base classes. so i wanted to give it a shot. i wanted to mix some of my favorite rules from pathfinder and d20 modern.

• using the cmb/cmd system from pathfinder.

• weapons can gain enhancements and abilities like arcane pool from the magus

• give limited options for melee/ranged attacks for ranged/melee. (biggest
      problem with dms old system)

• Still deciding weather or not to use base classes from modern or making base classes with pathfinder guide lines

So there will be a few playable races like the witch, technician, shinigami, and weapon. templates will be things like kishin, black blood, autonomous weapon( Justin law and giriko) and werewolf. still debating whether or not vampire will be race or template. Golems will also be a blast requiring either a leadership feat or a craft.

Weapons will have 3 forms. human basicly explains its self might be a little hardier then normal but nothing special. hybrid where you transform a body part and gain a natural attack. and weapon form also self explanatory. Thinking that you could change your natural hybrid attack to an armed attack so your bab could give you multiple strikes. still debating whether or not weapon damage will grow like unarmed damage on monks. Still deciding whether weapons should have something akin to a monster class or fallow the base classes with weapon specific talents.

So weapons will be different they will get hp based on their damage. examples being 2d6 great sword 2d4 scythe. I might revise guns though most of them have 2d something so they would be overly hardy.

This is a rough draft and in no ways is final this is just the idea in my head so any input on this would be appreciated. especially regarding any idead how to do the ranged weapons like the weapons above.

No idea how witches and shinigami are going to work. shinigami will probably get decent stat bonuses along with excellent skill bonuses and a some combat feats that are shinigami specific. witches should be simple.

Autonomous weapons are easy they gain significant stat bonuses and hybrid form provides extra perks. maybe increased damage or something along those lines.

Technicans are either going to be starting base classes or prestige classes you go into still debating. Talents are going to be key to what makes these classes versatile and unique. Maybe base classes for common unspecific talents and prestige for advance talents.

Kishin will play alot like autonomous weapons but instead making fight like your armed it will take a more natural attack stand point. Getting things like rend and pounce. but this is deffantly up for debate.

Death scythes will be deffantly fun. this might be were weapons gain a damage upgrade. After getting the witch soul the weapon gains an ability loosely based off the theme of the witch. fighting autonomously becomes less challenging because less of the body is used to transform and resonance becomes easyer and more powerful.

Resonance is going to be a skill check where a you roll soul control check. my dm wanted us to get as close to the same number as possible but i thought that was backwards way of doing things. so im open to any ideas on how the resonance check can work. both parties roll this check and if you succeed your fighting ability sky rocket gaining things like bonus to attack and damage, extra attacks, higher damage dice, skill bonuses, movement speed bonuses or alternative forms of movement (fly,burrow,climb, or swim), things like sneak attack and rage dependent bonuses could work too. I wanted this to be where every pair was unique.

Any advice, ideas, or pointing out spots on my post that dont make sense would be greatly help full.
    Last edited by arixe; 2012-08-29 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Update
    GENERATION 19

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Soul Eater WIP

Hmm, a lot of that stuff sounds pretty good, and pretty awesome if I do say so myself. Maybe for the weapon, you could give it an ability similar to the Paladin's from Pathfinder, where every 4 levels it gains a +1 enchantment... or at least maybe gain that ability from some sort of prestige class.

You may want to also include a system sort of like the special technique system from 3.5 in the Tome of battle to allow special techniques like Witch Hunt to be utilized easily... though that could be made into a class ability as well if needed :P

Regardless, I'm very much excited to see this get put together.

3. - Top - End - #3

Well thanks for the support. Started thinking that this was a bad idea. I've never got a chance to take a look at the tome of battle, but thanks for the suggestion I'll probably take a galance at it. As for witch hunter I wanted to keep resonance pretty open. so you build your own ability so its distinctly unique to you and your weapon. by the way i noticed witch hunter looks incredibly like a brilliant energy weapon would.

As for the pally idea I like that. Simplifies Weapons like the pots and other elemental weapons like Ox'es.

One of the few problems i see this system having is the lack of an arsenal of weapons. so switching from melee to ranged would be diffucalt unless you walked around with an entourage of weapons. so thats why to fix this deffently work out a system that gives ranged weapons a chance to be used in melee and melee used at a range. so you can pull of some hawkeye crap if your using a bow or use the good old sonic blade if your a sword guy.

I'll try to get some actual usable info on here by the end of the week. probably start with the weapons that seems like the biggest endeavor.

Keep up the support and any suggestions would be much appreciated. even if its just a simple remark about something you liked about the show/book a new point of view might spur ground breaking inspiration.

Sample Weapon
    The Holy Avenger Excalibur The 24th
    Lvl 5 Two handed Weapon Lvl 5 holy sword
    HD- 5D12+25, 5d10+25
    Abilities- Str: 25(+7) Dex: 14(+2) Con: 20(+5) Int: 12(+1) Wis: 22(+6) Cha: 20(+5)
    Saves- Fort: 11 Ref: 3 Will: 10
    Bab- +8/+3
    Damage- Weapon Form 2d8+2d6 holy
    Hybrid Form +15 2d6+9

Special-
    Demon Enhancement +2

Power strike- trade your enhancement from attack to double your damage enhancement.

Sonic Blade V1- Weapon has a 10ft range but range penalties are doubled

Holy- The holy sword is considered holy enhancement this dose not effect demon enhancement.

Smite evil 2/day The holy sword and its wielder can use this ability gaining the holy sword Cha to attack or the wielders cha which ever is higher.

Fearless aura- The holy sword and its wielder gain immunity to fear and any one with in 30 ft gets your demon enhancement bonus as a moral bonus to avoid fear effects.

Feats: This is where i hit a wall. I'll have to come up with some way to make combat feats more useful to weapons. but im thinking of things like being considered armed in your hybrid form or being able to go in and out of forms faster. or things that make you easyer to resonate with.

well theres a really rough draft of what im shooting for the pre death scythe weapons. I'll get the bastard sword and holy sword classes built so it makes a little more sense. but i think it turned out nicely feel free to point out inconsistencies or anything. questions are also welcom this is my first shot at a hombrew so its going to be pretty unorganized and all over the place for a while.
    Last edited by arixe; 2012-08-27 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Update
    GENERATION 19

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, you could also have them be able to master other forms of transformation like Tsubaki was able to do, that would make them very versatile. Maybe even doing like she had done in the past and allowing them to absorb from another weapon, the ability to become that kind of weapon. This way at least they could shift from melee to ranged weapon if needed....

You could also just have it work similar to pistol whipping in D20 modern for using a ranged weapon as a melee weapon, XD.

That does look pretty good so far with Excalibur. As for feats, giving them weapon specific feats could be pretty sweet. maybe a feat that could grant them a domain that fits with their character type and use the spells on the list once per day as spell like abilities (So long as their character level is the same level as the cleric level required to normally cast it). Though something like that may be a bit powerful to be just a feat. You could also have it so that the meister gains some of the weapon's feats while wielding it, and even moreso when resonated.

And I agree, Witch Hunt seems to be a VERY large brilliant energy weapon. But I believe it would probably have the ability to hit unliving creatures as well, XD.

5. - Top - End - #5

My answer for tsubaki was probably going to be a template or a feat she is a vary unique case. You never see another case of shinobi arsenals in the show, But that is a thought.

As for the feat idea you had I like it but then theres a the issue is feats like power attack and cleave are probably already taken by some one with a Greataxe. Feats like weapon focus or weapon finesse weapon specialization are good weapon feats.

As for Ranged weapons I've got ideas like a hieracy for midevil and modern weapons.

in acending order: Bows, Cross bows, Bowgun/Personal ballista.
    Pistols/machine pistols, Sub machine gun/Shot gun, long arms/sniper rifle, Anti-material rifles/ Grenade launchers.
    GENERATION 19

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Very true, if you're gonna wield a weapon, chances are you already have some complementing feats. Maybe give it a synergy bonus of some sort if they both have the same feat...

And lol, thinking about someone as a Grenade Launcher is a scary thought...

7. - Top - End - #7

I know right but kid had huge cannons so its not that far out there. I like the synergy bonus and also ive decided weapons get an attack on their turn sense all the actions that round happen simultaneously. So weapons roll an initiative and during that turn they get an attack action against any one enemies their wielder threatens. So that kind of solves how passiveness of the weapon and also solves the feat thing i guess haha.
    Last edited by arixe; 2012-08-28 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Update
    GENERATION 19

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

yeah, that's certainly a good idea, maybe there could also be a way for weapons to make opposing attack rolls against an enemy attack to parry it once per round to aid in defending their Meister....

Also, I realized that you'll want a template for that Immortal eye thing too since it was specifically stated that it was stolen and isn't something a werewolf naturally has.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think the way youve got feats set up they are going to be reletivly useless for weapons. weapons should focus on tallents more than meisters.

Your soul resonance should be partly what mj did and partly like the higher the better.
    If you have a large number for your soul adept skill, it makes the abilities your weapon gets better when you resonate. then you try to get as close as possible with you roll to see if its even possible.

ill call you about it.