Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon! OOC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dungeon! OOC

LINK TO BOARD IS HERE

-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the OOC thread. If you want to add fluff or flavour or character background here, you are more than welcome to. However, it is a board game, so no obligation at all. The main point of this is providing dice rolls, and giving a central place for turn updates.

For example, if you move into a room, post here firstly telling me what you've done ("Moved into Prisoner's chamber") asking for a monster ("Monster please!") with your attack roll ([.roll]2 d6[/roll.]), I'll provide the monster and their counter-attack/treasure with the outcome, letting you know the google document has been updated, and if it's someone else's turn at that point.

If you don't fight a monster, just move your piece on the board and then post here saying "turn ended" so we minimise waiting

From the previous thread:

We should be able to get a turn done every day. This does not mean you have to post every day, but does mean if you don't act in your turn's 24 hours, you will be skipped.
    There will be (I can almost guarantee it) be situations during the game where a turn cannot be completed in 24 hours. In those cases, depending on whether I and/or the player check the forum twice in a day, a turn will at maximum take 48 hours and probably less.
    When signing up, please say what class(es) you'd be interested in playing, even if it's "any". I'm not opposed to everyone choosing elf or whatever, but a mix makes it more interesting.
    You will also see, over to the left, all the available characters. Each character has the same class mechanics as the example provided. When you've made your choice, claim it in the OOC thread, and roll 3d6 in that same post. That will determine who is player 1, 2 and 3

Any questions, please please please ask. It's pretty intuitive once you start to play but that's no reason for feeling lost at first.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-09-06 at 10:49 AM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon! OOC

I'm playing Nook the Wizard!
    (3d6)[8]

3. - Top - End - #3

Playing as Floid the warrior.

(3d6)[13]
    'Stralia: Now a campaign setting (D&D 3.5 E6)

4. - Top - End - #4

Excellent - Vesth, choose 6 spells in any mix, from Teleport, Lightning, and Fireball

edit: Both pieces have now been placed at the Main Staircase. Please keep their feet on whichever space you occupy when you move them during the game!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-24 at 05:38 AM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

5. - Top - End - #5

Hmm...I'll go with 1 teleport, 3 fireballs and 2 lightning attacks.

6. - Top - End - #6

Got it. Just waiting on Serps to choose/roll and we're good to get going.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh noes!
    I'll have a go at... Madelyne the Paladin, please.
    (3d6)[6]

Can you put a link to the Google Doc in this thread? Or is it via email only?

8. - Top - End - #8

Pre-game set-up is now complete, by my reckoning.

Mangles goes first, move your piece. If you enter a room, request a monster and roll at the same time, in this thread, to save some of the back-and-forth. That roll (as a reminder) will be 2d6.

Oh, about monsters: do people trust me to roll without bias? I mean, I can randomise my lists and roll in this thread if you really want, but ultimately, there's a step of trust from number->list. The reason I don't want to do it in here is because if I roll the same number twice for the list then I'll have to re-roll. When lots of monsters have been used, I'll be re-rolling a lot.

Serpentine: good point. I'll add it to the OP. Here it is for now while I edit it in:
    https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...GjYkEnn88/edit

edit:
    This applies to everyone but especially to Vesth: if you use a card up during your turn, please put it in that red box over to the right in the DM area so it's easier for me to keep track of what's happening. This also ensures that you don't delete a card, only for me to come along later and delete another card for the same reason.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-24 at 10:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Monster Please
    (2d6)[8]

and I trust you enough to do the DM thing behind the computer screen. If you wanted to cheat someone to win, than what would be the point of playing.

also please let me know if I do something wrong.

EDIT: My status at a glance shows me with nooks spells. While I would love them, its probably not balanced to be a wizard//warrior. ;D
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-08-24 at 04:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Okay. This one's my fault. Which the spells thing was too, so perhaps I'd better say that this one's my fault as well.

You've walked through a wall to get to the space you're on. I know the photo of the board isn't the clearest, but it was a really big board and the flash on my camera was broken. On other parts of the board, I've drawn the detail of walls and spaces on afterwards. I thought it was clear enough in this section, but my screen settings are really really bright.

If it proves to be a really big issue, I'll go over all the walls and spaces in Paint. But for now, the four routes out of the main staircase are marked with cyan arrows
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-24 at 11:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Thats ok, different room but same question for a monster :D

12. - Top - End - #12

Ack! I've talked about "levels" and "going up and down" levels.

This is what I mean (and it's kind of important for planning your route out of the Main Staircase) - in this game, you don't level up so much as level down.

What I mean by that is that your charcter never changes - doesn't gain XP or anything like that. However, if you want a tougher challenge, you can descend to a deeper level of the dungeon.

There are six levels:
    1) Red
    2) Purple
    3) Yellow
    4) Green
    5) Orange
    6) Blue

where 1 is the easiest and 6 is the hardest.

So plan your route carefully. You might want to kill lots of easy monsters, or take a bit of a trek to get to level 3 or 4. Sure, the player who chose quantity over quality now has lots of treasure, but it's entirely possible (though not guaranteed) that you get a larger GP amount in killing two monsters than they do in slaying five monsters. Of course, you might waste all that time walking just to enter a room and be given a dragon. And have to go all the way back to the start. Empty-handed.

Or hey, if you really want to make things harder for me, you could all team up and go running into Level 6 - everybody wins at once, yay!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-24 at 11:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Zombies! Win! Treasure!

Vesth's turn!

Edit:
    Actually if it's okay with everyone, I'm going to start writing fluff for these. The suspense in the physical board game comes from turning over the card, and then hoping that you can beat it! That's... kind of lost, here. So to put some flavour back in, I'll fluff your encounters.

If you prefer to fluff your own, or characterise your own player, let me know so I don't write something you don't like.

Right now, I'm off to buy a ballcock then go for a beer, but rest assured, "Zombies! Win! Treasure!" will become a tale of Floid's derring-do by the end of tonight.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-24 at 11:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Fluff will be really, really great!

And now...my computer is shutting down my tabs whenever I open gmail, which makes it impossible for me to edit it, though I can still view it on my phone. Can you help me move my stuff around, GM?

Anyway, I'm heading down 2 spaces, before moving one space right and calling 'Monster Please!', and give anything in there extreme prejudice with a well-aimed fireball.

(2d6)[5]

15. - Top - End - #15

Serpentine's go, working on fluff but I've always been bad at coming up with reasons that
    a) the torches on the walls are already lit throughout the whole place
    b) that a bunch of zombies and skeletons and whatnot just happen to be hanging out in the dungeon - why wouldn't you kill them on sight instead of imprisoning them?
    c) They have treasure. In what's effectively a jail cell. Where from? If it's fallen adventurers, who closed the door?

16. - Top - End - #16

(following fluff is optional )

Having descended into the Great Testing Chambers below the Academy for Adventurers, the noble soldier of Light and Purity, Madelyne, assessed the chamber in which she finds herself and then strides off confidently through the passageways to the south, torches lighting up several meters in front as she goes. She nods to Nook the Wizard as she passes, and pauses at a door soon afterwards. She knocks politely, and then enters the chamber with her gleaming sword ready.

Monster please!

(2d6)[10]

17. - Top - End - #17

The giant lizard behind the door seems surprised at being woken from its slumber, and turning its amber eyes towards Madelyne, lets out a terrible hiss. Its forked tounge flickers as it approaches the intruder, tasting the air around its next meal, but the creature finds only the Holy Warrior's sword, which as quickly as it's entered the lizard's maw, swiftly exits through the cranium.

Judging by the table, leather armour rotted by the damp, and iron fire grate in the corner, this was the old guard room. The swords in a wooden rack by the door she's already seen, noted, and rejected - all of them wear a deep patina of rust. As for the ceremonial swords on the wall, most appeared to be intact thanks to a thin coat of gold leaf: these too would be staying. The gold was too thin to be worth anything after the effort of scraping it off and melting it down, and as a weapon, the things were probably deliberately blunted and poorly balanced.

And yet...

The more Madelyne stared, the less possible it seemed. One of the swords had very peculiar etchings down the blade, a curious pommel, and an oddly-scrolled guard.
    It seems to be... thought Madelyne, but it couldn't possibly - it is!

Right there, amongst the swords for show, was the Goblinblade. It was a marvellous magical sword, lost over a century ago amid war and pillaging in a distant corner of the continent. It had last been seen in an abbey - which had since become a famous place and a regular stop on pilgrimages. That's why Madelyne, on seeing the sword, recognised it so clearly as the fabled blade, and why, trusting in its power, she took it from the wall, and left in its place her old iron blade.

18. - Top - End - #18

Floid charges on from his most recent victory. Zombies, pah. If that is the best this dungeon has to offer than this would be a cake walk. He strides into another room, brimming with confidence and shouting his war cry. MONSTER PLEASE!

(2d6)[5]

19. - Top - End - #19

Yay, sword! ^_^

(Where in Australia are you, Mangles?)

20. - Top - End - #20

Perhaps against a weaker foe, the kobolds would have stood a chance. As it was, a beardy, bellowing brute bedecked with broadsword beset them.

The first kobold raised his shield and cowered beneath it, but the powerful overhead blow shattered the wood and through the splinters, the steel swung, slicing scaly skin. One down, and Floid picked out three more, his eyes flicking past mouldy pots and pans to the corners.

These all attacked together. Though Floid towered above them, they used their short stature as an advantage. He could not see which side of the kitchen table they were running around, and it was something of a surprise when all three emerged from underneath it! Only his quick reactions saved his kneecaps and shins from injury, and stepping backwards, he now had sufficient distance to manoeuvre the long broadsword to its target. In a display of his skill, at the very same instant, he brought his iron shield to bear upon the face of the kobold trying to flank him with a sickening crack.

Fear darkened the face of the final kobold who glanced at the opposite door, and quickly decided to turn around and run for it. He never made it to the handle. Floid was a warrior of many talents, and his aim with an iron skillet, apparently, was second to none. Heading over to inspect the damage, he made sure that the kobold was dead, and began to search the room.

It was not long before he found their horde: a bag of around seven hundred and fifty gold pieces, secreted in the oven.

21. - Top - End - #21

Yay gold!

I'm in Townsville, QLD. How about yourself?

22. - Top - End - #22

Everything was planned. Everything, from the start from the end. He was supposed to work his way down, cutting into chamber after chamber each turn, and score an epic victory at the 4th level, and cut himself some good loot in the process. And then, that accursed paladin threw a wrench into his plans, cutting loose in the second chamber planned. He could see what would happen next. The paladin would be a step faster, and eradicate any foes in that direction before he could. Hence, there was only one real option left. Inwardly scowling, he headed back to the main chamber to replenish his spells. There are other paths yet to take.

Spoiler
    Show
    Help me move please
    One step to the left, two steps up, replenish a fireball.

23. - Top - End - #23

Do people mind if I remind players of mechanics which I
    a) think could be useful to them and
    b) think they might've forgotten about?

I totally understand if you're of the "I've made an effort to learn the rules, you should too" mindset and disagree with doing this. I won't say anything unless there's unanimous agreement for reminders.

Serpentine's go!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-28 at 12:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

I don't mind at all, but also reserve the right to make stupid decisions.

25. - Top - End - #25

Stupid decisions are fine with me - I make enough of them myself!

26. - Top - End - #26

Fine by me, I'd appreciate it.
    Sorry, managed to sleep in.

Madelyne, high on her triumphant victory and shiny new blade,veritably leaps down the stairs to the next level and swings open the first door she comes to.

Monster please!

(2d6)[8]

27. - Top - End - #27

I'm afraid the closest you can get to that room is one space outside (where I've moved you)

You can't go in the other door, there's a wall in the way.

Oh and if Vesth doesn't mind about the rules thing, there's something I would remind you and him of.

(Oh noes! You were online when I began typing that! I need to know whether you want to mve there still or go a different direction!)
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-28 at 10:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

I don't mind. Remind us of what? :O

29. - Top - End - #29

Vesth, don't forget your teleport spell. Rules for usage are in the image beside the board. In short: if you want, you can teleport to the Prisoner's Chamber or 2nd Level Treasure Chamber (for which you still won't get treasure), then you can.

Serpentine, if you do decide to end your turn where I've placed your piece, you might as well have a shot at that secret door. Nothing to lose. It'd be a 1d6 to check.

30. - Top - End - #30

But I can get their treasure if I kill the monsters there, right? And if I teleport there, slaughter them (3 monsters?) and teleport back...it can be done, yes?