Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon! OOC

1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon! OOC

OOHHH SNAP! Rast yells, feeling the power of another wizard in the maze. Oh well time for things to get interesting.

He pulls back his arms and launches a fireball into the room, hopefully making the monster that guards this treasure horde crispy.

(2d6)[7]
    'Stralia: Now a campaign setting (D&D 3.5 E6)

2. - Top - End - #272

Was I just...what? What just happened?

Serpertine, gimme back my ring, or I'll roast you into cinders!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Heh, methinks the ambush rules might come into play soon

Yeah, sorry for getting your hopes up, Vesth. Genuine error on my part, but in hindsight, good job I remembered before Serpentine's turn otherwise we'd be backtracking and retconning.

Mangles, doing your turn now.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

4. - Top - End - #274

Can you refresh us on the ambush rules so we're all on the same page? Gollum needs his ring >.>

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
    OOHHH SNAP! Rast yells, feeling the power of another wizard in the maze. Oh well time for things to get interesting.

He pulls back his arms and launches a fireball into the room, hopefully making the monster that guards this treasure horde crispy.

[roll0]
    The Mummy's dusty old bandages catch quickly, and the undead monster becomes a bright beacon in the tomb room's gloom. Of course, burning so well, it takes a short while before it's safe to enter.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've just added the Mummy's treasure into the pile, since Rast wouldn't know what was there before and what was there after.

Yes, the treasure stack doesn't look any different. But I can tell you it now contains a Level 2 Treasure and Level 3 Treasure: both of which are Secret Door Cards. I think you took so long finding the secret door that the Dice Gods decided you needed two
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-19 at 06:44 AM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Can you refresh us on the ambush rules so we're all on the same page? Gollum needs his ring >.>
    Sure. It's in the Rules Summary to the left of the board, right-most column, top three paragraphs.

If there's anything still unclear, don't hesitate to ask here for clarification.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-19 at 06:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Colossus in the Playground

Awwwww sheeeoooooot! Here's hoping this ring's better than whatever's in the secret room just above us, cuz I don't think I'm gonna be getting back there!

8. - Top - End - #278

Reminder: you can pass through occupied spaces, and the other player is not allowed to impede you. You can even stop on the same space as someone else, and there's nothing they can do about it (not that it has negative effects for either party). Except maybe ambush you on the next turn.

9. - Top - End - #279

Sooo...magic doesn't matter, right? I can just...punch him?

And I can see a standstill situation where we just keep trying to take each other's stuff and not move for the rest of the game...

10. - Top - End - #280

You don't need to punch. The way Wizards are supposed to work are that they have their normal attack spells (like magic missile or whatever you want to pull out of D&D), but the Fireball and Lightning Bolt are like the BIG GUNS to bring out - so make sure your other attack is weaker than that in terms of fluff. Or you can just keep it ambiguous and have generic magical attack, or indeed punching, or whatever.

AMBUSH ELABORATION:
    1) You cannot use your Fireball or Lightning spells to aid your ambush
    2) In fact, unless you're a thief, it doesn't matter what class is doing the ambush: the number that matters is the "is ambushed on" number present on the victim's character card.
    3) There can't be a standstill situation:
    a) If the ambusher wins, they get to instantly move six spaces away. The fastest class moves 5, so unless the ambusher subsequently gets into fights, or gets held up by a secret door, they can't be caught.
    b) If the victim wins, the ambusher misses a turn. So the victim gets a ten-space lead or so, and since all classes on the board right now move 5, that gap won't close except for getting into fights or getting held up by secret doors etc.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-20 at 06:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281

Well? What's it gonna be?

12. - Top - End - #282

Vesth, I hate to push you but it's been well over 24 hours since your last post. Let us know your decision, or if you have any more questions.

13. - Top - End - #283

OMG, I thought it was still Rast's turn, my bad.

"GIMMIE MY RING!" Nook screamed as he black tentacles sprung up all around Rast, grabbing at him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (2d6)[6]

14. - Top - End - #284

Alonzo was set upon my magical tentacles, black as a mole's hole at midnight. However, this was a trick he'd seen before, and the elf knew from experience that he could move faster than the magical appendages. With a dodge, weave, and a final roll towards his attacker, Alonzo clouted the Wizard square in the nose with the hilt of his sword. The tentacles disappeared as Nook lost concentration.

With a cheeky wink, the elf grabbed into Nook's treasure sack, and pocketed something - Nook couldn't see what. His vision was still all blurry and his nose gushed blood. He'd be out of commission for a while trying to stem that - it wasn't wise to stumble around a dungeon advertising the smell of your own fresh blood everywhere.

Just as well that Alonzo was an adventurer and not an outlaw: if the elf wanted to return to the Capital to sell his treasure, he'd have to leave Nook alive. Murder was not looked upon kindly by the King.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vesth: Ambush failed - miss a turn!
    Serpentine: Choose and take one treasure from Nook. You take your turn as normal: no bonus movement. If you want, you can try to ambush Nook, or you can just carry on moving away. Up to you.

Board updated!
    Serpentine's go!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-21 at 08:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Sorry Serpentine. In kinda skipped your go bellow. I'll just do the same thing with the same roll after your turn. Also really you get to steal a treasure on a failed ambush. Nook got screwed.

Spoiler
    Show

Rast moves in the door and picks up the large pile of loot off the chard corpse that used to be an adventurer. As he touches an amulet, his mind tingles with visions of the future. A werewolf in the next room.

Rast brings forth the arcane fire and shoots a fireball through the door.

(2d6)[3]

Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-21 at 08:24 PM.
    'Stralia: Now a campaign setting (D&D 3.5 E6)

16. - Top - End - #286

Fair enough. I don't think anyone'll begrudge you keeping a 3.

And Vesth knew the risks. But still, yes, Nook got screwed.

17. - Top - End - #287

Ahaha, my bad.

...but telling me about the "taking one item from a failed ambush" bit in the Refresh would have been very helpful >.>

18. - Top - End - #288

I would be amenable (if disappointed ) to a take-back if you wanna and Lime allows.

19. - Top - End - #289

Well, I never did type out a rules refresh here. I just pointed you to the side of the board where it is already typed out. What I posted here was when you asked for clarification on a deadlock situation.

So, will I let you have a do-over? Of course - providing, as always, the other players agree. I'm not in competition here, really. It's you three who are playing the game against each other; it's up to all of you to decide ultimate what you will and won't allow your fellow players/opponents to do. Don't forget, even though Serpentine has said yes, Mangles still gets a say because he might see Alonzo as an easier opponent than Nook, and want to keep treasure out of the Wizard's hands at any cost.

So any time that you want to make a change in the game that is outside of "interpret rulebook", find agreement amongst yourselves, and then the answer will be "yes".
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-22 at 05:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Nah, it's ok. I would probably have attacked regardless. Carry on!

21. - Top - End - #291

Okidoki then. Serpentine, choose a treasure, take your go.

22. - Top - End - #292

Schweet

Alonzo pockets the heaviest bag of gold, and says with a wink "sorry sweetheart, baby needs a new drider-silk cloak" before departing forthwith... smack-bang into a:

Monster please
    (2d6)[7]

23. - Top - End - #293

Aw frick

24. - Top - End - #294

Alonzo ran away gleefully - he had reached nearly half his required amount of gold value already! His thoughts turned to how he would spend his enormous loot: a mink coat, that was a given. There was a brooch, too, that had caught his eye too, with a deep green stone set in. And of course, a fine set of silk gloves was always appreciated - and if the gloves, then surely the matching scarf would have to -
    Alonzo suddenly realised that he had not been paying attention to where he was going, and he found himself in a round chamber. A sort of stone island, with pathways bridging to it, was in the centre of the room, and all around was a lake of oil, burning brightly. I had probably never been extinguished from the moment that it was lit.

A large flue rose up above the island. Alonzo stared upwards, taking it all in. Of course, with an eternal fire, there had to be a chimney to let smoke out. But though the circular hole stretched five levels up towards ground, no sunlight nor moonlight shone down. The ventilation, dug into the bedrock, had been designed not to let rain fall back in.

What did fall in, however, was a
    PURPLE WORM

Spoiler
    Show
    It had been living in the long, subterranean tube for a good while now, and didn't take kindly to being disturbed by a fashion-conscious elf.

Alonzo was caught off-guard to say the least, but his lithe frame evaded the heavy incoming blow from the worm's poisonous tail stinger. In the process, something was lost from his treasure sack.

Spoiler
    Show
    (2d6)[8]
    STUNNED: Drop one treasure
    No wound. Lucky escape.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-22 at 12:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
    Rast moves in the door and picks up the large pile of loot off the chard corpse that used to be an adventurer. As he touches an amulet, his mind tingles with visions of the future. A werewolf in the next room.

Rast brings forth the arcane fire and shoots a fireball through the door.

[3]
    The haul - at a quick estimate - totalled 11,250gp. Quite an amount, and Rast certainly noticed the weight of the loot. He didn't mind, though, as for very little effort he'd secured a fine start to the day's adventuring.

The amulet was of interest, with its large, staring eye motif. The Secret Door Artefacts also showed him a new exit to the room. Rast grinned - the old wizard always liked a new magical curiosity for his collection - just as he liked to fine magical monsters. Today he was in luck - he had been correct: beyond the door lay a
    WEREWOLF

Spoiler
    Show
    Rast checked himself. Of course! he remonstrated himself, It's a full moon this evening, and by now it must be nightfall! Time passed strangely underground.

It was this lapse in concentration that led to Rast's fireball veering wide, and the werewolf in the plain but obviously expensive drawing room, turned and snarled.

Rast quickly shut the secret door and figured out just what he was going to do next.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

How do you know it's the 70s? Because the werewolf is wearing Speedos and it isn't meant as a joke.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-22 at 01:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

Nook pinched his nose firmly and leant his head forwards, to get the blood to clot. After a couple of minutes - and a few magical words and physicican's powders - the bleeding was stemmed.

Nook got to his feet again. It was time to make up for lost time.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Nook skips his go.

SERPENTINE CHOOSE A CARD TO DROP
    Then take your go again - it's back round to you already.
    Reminder: you attack on White numbers.

27. - Top - End - #297

Dang. Oh well, could've been worse!
    Hrm. If I go in that room again (i.e. if I duck into the secret room, and then go back out again), I'll have to fight it again before I can go elsewhere, yeah?

28. - Top - End - #298

Yes.
    When you enter a chamber or room, you fight what's face-up in there.
    If there's nothing face-up, you draw a monster of the correct level to fight
    If the monster(s) for that room or chamber have been expended, you treat it as an empty space.

So Alonzo the elf is facing a gigantic Purple Worm on a man-made stone island in the middle of a lake of burning oil, five stories under the ground. What does he do next?

29. - Top - End - #299

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR THE WIZARDS AMONGST US (and Serpentine)
    You need to agree on a rules interpretation

Once again, the rulebook is being ambiguous, and since you're the ones actually playing, I thought I'd best leave it up to you. I do have an opinion myself, though, and I'll use that if there's a disagreement, in the interests of fairness.

Basically, the question is whether a Wizard can attack on the green numbers from outside of a room.
    Argument For:
    The Green Number is just a lesser spell that the wizards cast. After all, they can't use magic swords, so it follows that they don't really do the whole hand-to-hand thing. If you can cast a fireball from outside the room, why can't you cast a lesser spell?

Argument Against:
    The section that covers casting from outside rooms is under the subheading "Magic Spells", which if I'm honest only really deals with fireball, teleport, and lightning bolt. But the wording of the actual sentence doesn't limit it to this:- the verb first used is "attack". But then it does go on to phrase it as "cast spells".

So basically I don't know. It's more of a question of how you'd like to play the game.
    The reason I ask is that there are some monsters where the green numbers are lower (like the last 3 we've had, actually: the mummy and troll immune to lightning, this werewolf who is weaker on green.).

That question again: To attack on green numbers, should wizards be allowed to cast from outside rooms?

30. - Top - End - #300

Eeeeeeeh... Buggrit.

Alonzo fumbles in his pocket and hurls his smallest bag of coins at the horrible purple thing. He misses, somehow, and it hits the far wall, bursting open. The noise distracts the thing just long enough for Alonzo to slip into a hidden alcove to his left.

Um... Monster please?
    (2d6)[4]