Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon! OOC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon! OOC

The advantage is that you avoid competing with the other players for a limited number of rooms, or spending time on the Level 1 monsters (which, let's be honest, haven't been much of a threat so far).

The disadvantages are that you use up a spell card and get into a rewardless fight - monsters in Chambers (as opposed to rooms) don't drop treasure. Ever. Even when dead.

You don't have to fight three. You fight one and then can make your escape regardless of how the battle goes (as long as you don't die)

Each teleport spell moves you in one direction. It doesn't pop you in and out on the same turn. Right now you have one teleport spell, so you'd have to walk back to the main staircase. If you had two teleport spells, you could pop in, and fight (END TURN) then do some dungeoneering, grab some treasure, step into a level 2 chamber and teleport back without a battle.

You can move up, down, or the same level. The Main Staircase is Level 1. It's also the only Level 1 chamber. That's why your only options are the two Level 2 Chambers.

If you were in a Level 3 chamber, for example, you could teleport to level 2 or level 4 or another level 3 chamber.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-30 at 12:17 AM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by --Lime-- View Post
    Serpentine, if you do decide to end your turn where I've placed your piece, you might as well have a shot at that secret door. Nothing to lose. It'd be a 1d6 to check.
    That works for me, and alright.
    (1d6)[3]

3. - Top - End - #33

Madelyne looks at the stonework. The torchlight flickers strangely against its surface. She can't quite pinpoint why it looks odd. A cursory sweep of her hands over the granite blocks tells nothing unexpected to her fingertips.

Vesth's turn!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-29 at 10:50 AM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pretty sure you skipped me.

Floid charges across the hallway boldly. He kicks down the door and with sword and beard ready flies into the room in a killing rage.

Monster Please!

(2d6)[8]
    'Stralia: Now a campaign setting (D&D 3.5 E6)

5. - Top - End - #35

You're right. I did.

Hey, I said I'd be DM, never said I'd be a good one! Truth is it was ridiculously late, and I was wondering what Vesth was going to decide in terms of teleport or not.

---------------------------------

It was hard to tell what the room once was - all the furniture had been removed, and nothing remained except the hearth and chimney breast - but two piles of bones in the corner seemed to suggest to Floid an animal lair of some kind.

This was not the case.

The bones raised themselves to their feet, sword and shield in hand, and made for Floid, feet clattering on the flagstones. This gave Floid an idea. He swung low into the left knee of the first skeleton, who crashed to the floor, aged and brittle ribcage shattering, and providing an obstacle over which the second skeleton tripped. To be sure they'd not trouble him again, Floid broke the skulls by hurling them against the wall on the opposite side of the room.

Where the skeletons had lain was a velvet bag of gold, and checking its weight in his hand by tossing it up and down, Floid reckoned there must have been a thousand pieces! Pondering why anyone would go to the trouble of giving the undead money after raising them - just as with the zombies - Floid found no convincing answer.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-30 at 12:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Nook sneezes, as if someone had been talking about him, and maybe was suggesting that he used his trump card. It's way to early for that! For he had figured a plan. He would clear the near areas first, and then prepare at least two teleport spells so that he can get in and out of things easily, while the fools had to walk long distances to heal. Maybe except the paladin. But then again, he can poke the paladin with a bolt of lightning when the time came...after all, armor conducts electricity. MUAHAHAHAHAH.

And you got the creepiest feeling that other people are listening in on your thoughts. That would not bode well for him if that actually happened...

Spoiler
    Show
    Help me move two steps right, one step up, while he proceeds to barbecue with fire. And where can I teleport to from the chamber of sorrows or the chamber of fire?

7. - Top - End - #37

You need to roll me 2d6 for how well your fireball does

You can teleport from any chamber (not room) to any chamber +1/=/-1 to the level of chamber you're in. The chambers all have names and are that beige colour, rather than a level colour.

In your example, the Chamber of Sorrows and Chamber of Fire are 5th Level Chambers, meaning you have to fight a 5th level monster for no reward on entry. The chambers you can access those from are:
    4th Level: Queen's Private Chamber, 4th Level Treasure Chamber
    5th Level: Chamber of Sorrows, Chamber of Fire, Wizard's Lab, 5th Level Treasure Chamber
    6th Level: Chamber of Death, 6th Level Treasure Chamber

You can't use spells ambushing other players. Whatever your class, you simply roll against their "is ambushed on" number (one presumes that an experienced hero is as adept at dealing against a wizard as a warrior) unless you're a thief, in which case you get +1 to perform an ambush.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-08-30 at 03:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Oops.

(2d6)[9]

To be honest, do you think I could stand a chance at a level 5 chamber, if I use my spells?

9. - Top - End - #39

Given that all your spell replenishes are down that way and the high amount of gold you need. I would think that is where you have to go.

10. - Top - End - #40

I'm not going to take guesses like that on your behalf. Part of the fun is deciding how hard you want to gamble! It's also the reason the example monster card has had its level removed - sneaky, I know !

I'll be back in a bit, I have to pop out to the shop right now.

11. - Top - End - #41

Nook swung back the door, and cast forth a fireball without even glancing inside. The hobgoblins inside were burned to a crisp - not that they felt much pain. The room they'd decided to travel to, probably from deeper in the dungeon, was the castle's wine cellar. By the look of the scorched green glass bottles, lying empty on the floor, it had been quite a party.

There was much more wine around, in racks that lined both long sides of the room, but this would be poor loot. Searching the hobgoblins' pockets, Nook managed to scrounge up a good 500 or so gold pieces. It was hardly ideal, but it would have to do for now.

12. - Top - End - #42

Didn't say it in the last post, but: Serpentine's go!

13. - Top - End - #43

Sorry.

I continue the charge into that room I started before! Monster please!
    (2d6)[3]

14. - Top - End - #44

(2d6)[7]

Let's see what happens....

15. - Top - End - #45

Madelyne paused for a moment outside the door. The air was significantly chillier her, having gone down many steps to this lower level. Behind the door a sort of grunting noise resounded, but Madelyne could not place what would make such a noise.

Pushing open the door, the paladin found that the room was very tall; as well it needed to be, for inside stood a hill giant. This threw Madelyne somewhat: who'd take a hill giant and imprison it underground? The sheer absurdity let her to drop her guard for a moment, and the giant swung his club, and the legendary Goblinblade clattered into a corner. It was times like this that she was glad she always carried a backup blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    You failed to kill it. The giant then rolled to attack you. You got "Stunned: drop one treasure". Since you only had one, I did it for you. Kill the giant and you will get your sword plus the Level 4 treasure card he holds. That is, if someone else doesn't kill him first...
    (Or they could, you know, team up with you, too. I suppose.)

16. - Top - End - #46

Floid searches around the room. Surely a secret is just around here.

(d6)[1]

17. - Top - End - #47

His beard tingling with excitement as he finds the secret door, he rushes the next room.

Monster Please.

(2d6)[8]
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-09-01 at 02:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Floid was met by a scaly reptillian shape seven feet tall. If he wasn't such a stocky bloke himself, it would have been quite frightening. However, Floid knew no such fear, and pressed the attack.

The lizard man hissed and deflected Floid's first blow with his hefty shield. Counter-attacking, the lizard man's blade seemed to sing as it swung in a dangerous arc towards Floid. The warrior blocked with his own shield, and turning quickly, lopped off the lizard man's arm. Now defenceless, Floid made short work of his foe.

The sword was curious: not just because it was far too well decorated for such a creature to possess, but when Floid picked it up, his beard bristled strangely. Surely, magical forces were at work here.

Knowing nothing of its past, Floid took the magical sword, in lore known as The Orcslayer, and relegated his own trusty weapon to the scabbard on his back.

19. - Top - End - #49

*pause*

I WANT A WEAPON TOO!

Depressed by his lack of proper loot, Nook drags his feet back to the main room. Maybe he should be a bartender.

Spoiler
    Show
    Head back to the main gallery chamber, restore a teleport spell.

20. - Top - End - #50

Wizards can't use magic swords... but there are other magical items out there.

Also: Serp's go!

21. - Top - End - #51

I gather my wits about me and, furious at the (temporary!) loss of my sword, charge bellowing at the giant!
    (2d6)[5]

22. - Top - End - #52

You fail.

(2d6)[7]

23. - Top - End - #53

Madylene's attack is passionate but ineffective. Using her dagger, she just can't get close enough in to the giant without suffering a heavy blow from his club.

Which she does.

Skittering across the floor and coming to rest by the wall, Madelyne is glad she has full plate armour. It takes her a moment to get to her feet again.

(You rolled 'Stunned' again, but since you have no treasure, it's basically no effect.)

24. - Top - End - #54

Floid continues riding his good luck, heading for another room and hopefully more glory. Even more hopefully, more treasure.

25. - Top - End - #55

Forgot to roll
    (2d6+1)[8]

26. - Top - End - #56

In the room, candlelight flickers. Candles are not a preserve of most monsters, who see perfectly well without any illumination, or prefer torches, lacking the delicate and opposable digits gifted to society's main races.

Delicacy was no problem for who had chosen to dwell in this old prison cell. Society, however, was. For stepping calmly out of the shadows, fine elven blade at the ready, was none other than the renowned - and exiled - dark elf, Orkash. Evidently, he had heard Floid crashing about easily, and had taken the time to prepare.

"I see someone has finally decided to explore this old place properly," he muses, referring to the dilapidated castle resting in ruins above their heads. "You look a fine brute, warrior. Perhaps I may have some use for you - if you would join me?"

Yet Floid was a stalwart fellow, and had no time to be consorting with known and wanted criminals and he took offence that the dark elf would consider him of weak moral fibre. Besides, Orkash had a fine bounty on his head, of 1000 gold pieces. It was the "brute" part that sealed the deal, though. Floid held himself considerably higher than this.

Orkash, through a high opinion of himself, had hideously underestimated how short Floid's temper, and how swift his reaction. Before his dainty elven metalwork could even be raised in defence, let alone used in anger, Orkash was skewered upon the similar-sounding and oddly apt Orcslayer.

Floid collected the dark elf's finger with the infamous signet ring and unique tattoo which would evidence his claim for collection: 1000 gold pieces were soon to be Floid's.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-09-02 at 04:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

I got my computer back so...I can now move my own piece! Yay!

Muttering an incantation (for fun. Nook can cast without speaking anything. But it looks cooler, so there), Nook waves his arms about and promptly vanishes in a puff of smoke, only to appear in the not-so-dreaded 2nd Level Treasure Chamber, where he sets the world alight!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm supposed to move my own cards, right? I can't remember. I use a teleport and a lightning, and I didn't move anything but my own character. If you need me to personally move my spell cards myself, just tell me.

28. - Top - End - #58

...and I forgot to roll.

(2d6)[6]

29. - Top - End - #59

It's cool. If you move them, put them in that red square so I don't miss them. I'll move them if you don't.

Roll me 2d6. (edit: ha! Beat me to it!)

I'm just going to double check the rules on teleporting then casting.

edit: yeah you can. Naturally the rulebook isn't explicit about this, but it can be inferred from a later paragraph.

There is also a really really stupid rule which makes wizards invincible that I had forgotten about. No, it really does. Do we want to play with this rule? I didn't mention it when you were all choosing characters, but I also said this would be a 100% vanilla game, so...? Opinions on playing against a wizard that can never die, be wounded, or be forced to drop treasure except in ambush by other players (but that's only stealing treasure), or alternatively by teleporting into chambers?
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-09-02 at 05:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

How does that rule work? If you explain it maybe I could see the reasoning for it. Otherwise, without explanation, I'm against it.