Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon! OOC

1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon! OOC

I like it!

I think that the main reasoning is that wizards only has 6 spell slots...i.e. they can only hit 6 times. Or better, if, like me, they have some for teleporting, that's even worse. Given that wizards can't have magical swords, this severely limits their fighting capabilities...fighting without a spell is being next to useless. While other character can roam around and fight nonstop, wizards have to make frequent trips back to restock on spells. Anyway, even if they can't get wounded, they can't win a duel without spells, meaning that they have to make the long trek back regardless.

This also provides a hamper on the teleport ability, because, they can actually get wounded by teleporting. Hence, a new structure of play is developed, where the player has to personally walk there and defeat the monsters in the chamber, or risk teleporting there before everyone else and getting hammered.

2. - Top - End - #62

I just want to know why. If there is a logical reason for it, than I can understand, but just saying they are invincible gives the claim little credence.
    'Stralia: Now a campaign setting (D&D 3.5 E6)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

The wizard can cast without entering a room. He can open a door and magically attack without putting himself in danger. In short, the wizard is the only ranged character.

This means that the enemy has no option to counter-attack. Ever. Because monsters cannot leave rooms. Teleporting into a chamber: attack must happen.
    But walking up to a chamber, the wizard can still cast out of reach. Likewise, a monster cannot leave a chamber.

Basically this renders the wizard untouchable, as he, and no monsters, can benefit from range.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

4. - Top - End - #64

As Nook materialises in the chamber, the first creatures out of the darkness are a clutch of Troglodytes.

Luckily, Nook has prepared a Lightning Bolt spell, and quickly fries the unarmed troglodytes. Dodging the javelin of their leader, in a rare feat of dexterity, Noiok fires a magical ray at him, and he quickly collapses.

Other monsters lurk in the darkness; glowing eyes? Deep growls? It's difficult to separate imagination and reality. What Nook does next? His Fight or Flight response is conflicted. The answer is unclear.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

5. - Top - End - #65

So not really invincible, just untouchable. If that's what the rules say and we are playing vanilla, unless in the past you've found it unbalancing, than lets play by the rules. At least for the first game.

Can the wizard open the door, cast, and then move into the room to get the treasure, or is the casting the end of their go.

6. - Top - End - #66

Actually, I've just deleted this whole post I was going to type. It can be much more easily put as this:
    I'll check the rules when I get home. But many things in this game are what I'll call "rules by omission". That is, because the rules don't state otherwise, it's arguably allowed. It's the major source of my issues with this game (my minor one is that player/player interactions are so damn clunky and also suffer from the former issue)

I'm not a huge fan of rules by omission. It's actually just bad writing. But it also leads to arguments like "You can't do that, it doesn't say anywhere in the book that that's how the game mechanic works." "It also doesn't say I can't do it, so there."

I suggest we play it vanilla, with invinci-wizards set to 'on'. I'm hoping to homebrew some stuff for next time, maybe iron out a few of the creases, custom monster cards, maybe new player class, tweaking this rule here and that one there, remove a mechanic that really doesn't work and replace it with one both more realistic and more dynamic in usage -- all while keeping the simplicity that is the game's major identity. We can love, hate, and change rules then; at least play with it now to see if it works.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-09-03 at 05:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Works for me. Serpentine go if i'm not mistaken

8. - Top - End - #68

It is her go. However, I happen to know that she's going around the UK in a mad dash, trying to fit in all the sights and all the playgrounders before heading back down under.

9. - Top - End - #69

The rules for this are so badly written. For example, what ends your turn is pretty much spread over three different pages in three different sections.

Please take note:
    1) Combat ends your turn
    2) To attack without entering a room or chamber, wizards must have enough movement to move into the room or chamber.
    3) If the wizard kills a monster without being under threat by it, they have to enter the room or chamber on another turn to collect the treasure. After collecting it, they can continue their turn as normal.
    4) Wizards teleporting to an empty chamber don't fight a monster, and so may use whatever movement they have remaining.

I think that's everything that needed clarification.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by --Lime-- View Post
    It is her go. However, I happen to know that she's going around the UK in a mad dash, trying to fit in all the sights and all the playgrounders before heading back down under.
    Awwwww yeeeaaah I am ;D

Anyway, yeah, sorry 'bout that. I'll keep checking every day, or I'll try to. But yes:

Madelyne can't shake the feeling that she SHOULD be able to beat this villain, and dammit she wants her shiny sword back, so she charges again one last time.

(2d6)[10]

11. - Top - End - #71

Madelyne thinks quickly, and then it dawns on her. The reason she was so far across the room was that her armour skidded so well on the cell's floor. So this time, she charges at the Hill Giant, and just before she comes in range of the club, the paladin throws herself to the floor, landing on her back, and slides under the club's dangerous arc. Crashing into the giant's back foot, she comes to a halt, and scurrying to get up, Madelyne's medical training helps her quickly locate the femoral artery, and sever it with her dagger.

The giant lets out a terrible roar, but remains dangerous on the floor, thrashing about. Madelyne gets out of the way, and waits until he has lost consciousness from such a major artery draining onto the floor.

With no time to waste, Madelyne gravitates naturally to the magical aura of her sword and goes to put it back into her scabbard before the pool of blood expands that far. Once it's in her hand, however, Madelyne notices that the weight, inlaid gemstones, and even the pommel is different. Looking more closely, she sees the word Dragonbane stitched in gold thread into the leather grip of the handle. A different magical sword that must already have been in the chamber.

She locates the Goblinblade again, and, before continuing her adventure, chooses which to keep in her hand and which to keep by her side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, you got another magical sword. No, this is not a normal way for the game to start. At all. I mean 3 swords on the table? At this early stage? Highly unusual.

12. - Top - End - #72

Floid pockets the finger with glee. He hears a poof coming from the way he just came. "Magic" he grumbles, beard tingling and standing on end, telling him to go the other way. He instead heads for another room and another danger. Leave the magic to the wizard.

Monster Please.

(2d6+1)[11]

A little something for you guys. Let me know what you think. I can do up individuals easy from this image if you want them.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you have any gripes, let me know. I'm always trying to improve.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-09-04 at 02:02 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Vesth's go: sorry for the delay, I clicked reply then Database Backup happened and I didn't have time to wait for it to finish. Hooray for saving posts in notepad!

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, cool idea - and looking good!

Since we're on the subject of character design, for all this game's flaws, the female characters are actually handled pretty well. I've included all character portraits in the DM area so you can read along...

You have Princilla the Dwarf, who wears more clothes than Kador; Paladin Madelyne who isn't reduced to wearing Fe-Mail; Thief Zind could probably use a pair of tights but she's far from exposed up top. It's even in keeping with the class, because Krind wears his underwear outside his tights apparently, and Thosia wears quite a short tunic and tights - no trousers.
    With only one elf to compare against it's tough to say who would be the odd elf out. But I mean, clearly, Kasira is Tinkerbell, and compared to the fairy, it's the Dungeon! elf who is conservatively dressed, hiding her shoulders and cleavage. Blame Tinkerbell for the skirt hem.
    Yes, Warrior Abrana is very leggy, but look at our dancing Devon and even Floid - exceptionally leggy for a pair of blokes in fantasy. And continuing the theme of staying away from oversexualising all female characters in a fantasy setting are the wizards who -

Oh no wait, I forgot, wizards always have to be different.

Having said that, wizards are meant to be... odd folk, so perhaps it's fitting? Or perhaps just tightly-fitting...

So most female characters are given some dignity, even if some apparently love showing off their legs to random monsters. On this one, I'm going to plead the 70s - hotpants were in back then.

(apparently this bit posted but the Floid bit didn't?)
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-09-04 at 08:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

If Floid was running from the unfamilliar, when he opened the door, he was faced with his oldest foe: orcs. Floid hated orcs, with murderous passion. It was almost as if he'd flown into a trance when the room was revealed to him.

Though the orcs also took issue with Floid's intrusion, it soon became very clear that their hatchets would prove no match for the warrior and his magical sword - which, if you recall, unbeknownst to Floid, was called the Orcslayer.

Was it the sword that directed itself into the soft flesh of the first orc's stomach? Was Floid's arm guided into the backswing that split the second orc's jaw and scattered teeth below? Or was it that he and the sword working in near-perfect harmony when they disemboweled the final orc, having him battled him to back up against a bronze statue, with nowhere to run?

Floid would not remember the battle, but when he'd calmed down and glanced around, the aftermath looked awfully familiar. The objects in the room, however, did not. There was the bronze statue, weathered and difficult to discern what it was meant to be of. The delicate elven ceramics from centuries - if not milenia - ago. Strange devices too which flummoxed the mind, until the elucidating accompanying plaques were read. An iron sphere became an engine of steam, a stick that when broken would give light for hours and hours, and a small gong with elaborate tassels which apparently revealed secret thoroughfares.

Most of the rest of the museum pieces appeared worthless except to a very particular sort of collector, some were too delicate to survive battles Floid would face gathering more coin. The only thing that appealed was the gong, and shrugging to himself, Floid took it and slipped it over a shoulder to hang securely under his armpit.

(You got a Secret Door Card. Which is called a "card" as an in-game item. The only one - you don't get a "sword card". So... yeah secret doors are nothing to you now, just normal doors.)
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-09-04 at 08:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Mumbling about how everyone else was getting all the good stuff, Nook just...wandered up a corridor. How anticlimatic. Of course, there is the moss on the wall, the water that constantly goes drip drip drip onto Nook's poor robes while he curses at everything and anything, but such things go boring quickly.

---

Just a quick note: I must be in a chamber to teleport to another chamber, correct?

16. - Top - End - #76

Yes. You don't fight the monster in the chamber you teleport from but the one you teleport to.

17. - Top - End - #77

Mangles: Neat!
    Lime: There isn't anything different between the swords, is there? Just +1 either way? And do I carry around both but only attack with one, or do I leave one behind? The following assumes they're both mechanically the same, and I get to carry the one I don't use - if I'm wrong, adjust appropriately.

Puffing and panting and still shaking from the adrenaline of battle, Madelyne examines her shiny new swords, bouncing them in her hands to test their weight. After a while she comes to the conclusion that she can probably take on goblins without too much trouble, but she could use all the help she can get against a dragon. Thus she carefully sheathes the Goblinblade, and moves on with Dragonbane at the ready.
    Madelyne creeps out the second doorway into the hall, and sneaks down into the wide chamber below, listening for enemies.

I'm in the 4th level treasure chamber. I assume I need a monster now
    (2d6+1)[7]

18. - Top - End - #78

Assumption is correct. I just fluffed the orcs thing that way because why not?

19. - Top - End - #79

If I tell you that you rolled Phase Spiders as an encounter, do you think your roll is enough? I'll put the name of the enemy and the WotC picture (if there is one) from the SRD so you can see how things have changed since the '70s.

I think it might add a little more suspense. On that note, feedback on the fluff now that we've had it a while?

------------------------------------

PHASE SPIDERS (yes, plural, but take that with a pinch of salt)

Spoiler
    Show
    Madelyne enters the room slowly, and cautiously, hoping to spot whatever might lurk in the dim corners before it spots her. Something flashes near to her in the darkness, but as soon as it's there, it seems to be gone. As she spins around to check the empty air behind her, there is another sudden breeze as the dingy atmosphere is displaced just inches behind her head. Snapping back round, Madelyne catches a brief glimpse, and wishes she didn't. Eight feet long, eight long feet, and far too many eyes to be anything good, it worryingly seems like she's being attacked by phase spiders...
    Spoiler
    Show
    (2d6)[9] - enemy attack missed. Reminder: you are under no obligation to stay and fight.

Mangles' turn!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-09-05 at 09:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

By the beard, he was in luck today. The monsters would fall and he would be the one to leave the dungeon behind. This new trinket elevated his spirits further and spurned him to explore this route to its fruition.

Moving further south to the next door, he kicks it in yelling in mostly garble "Monster Please"

(2d6+1)[4]

21. - Top - End - #81

(SRD not really applicable here...)

Floid barges through the doorway only to find himself covered in something sticky. It quickly entangles him, and he's finding it hard to break free. Worse still, there's a sound of scuttling off to his left...

The spider comes closer to inspect what's wandered into its web. Its fangs drip deadly venom in anticipation of this meal - it's certainly been a while since any adventurer was foolhardy enough to venture into this dungeon's depths. Floid struggles with the web, but isn't able to make any headway. The spider gnashes at the warrior, but only succeeds in tearing into his studded armour.

Now with all his might, he manages to wrench his sword arm out of the ties that bind him, and, before the arachnid can attack again, Floid just manages to sink his sword into the mass of shiny eyes that stares at him. The spider curls its legs in a death throe, and is no more.

Safe now, Floid takes a cursory glance around. There are several other cocoons dotted about the web, mostly near the door. Splitting them open, he finds remnants of several humanoids - elf? goblin? orc? human? It's hard to tell, but it's all rather academic. Plundering their pouches, Floid finds himself 750 gold pieces, and decides any more time spent would be a diminishing return.

22. - Top - End - #82

Vesth's go - quickly, while we're both online!

23. - Top - End - #83

Ah well, seems I'm too slow. Artwork copied to OP!

24. - Top - End - #84

Nook stands outside a room and....wait, what happened to one of my teleport spells?! I'm pretty sure I prepared 2! (2 spells of each, and since I used 1 lightning bolt that was supposed to be a fireball, but whatever).

Spoiler
    Show
    Nook tosses a fireball in this time. But seriously, What happened to my teleport spell?

(2d6)[3]
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-09-06 at 06:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

That's a good question. I'm not sure, but it's back now. It was there all along on your "status at a glance".

In future, if something seems wrong, continue with your go anyway. If something is wrong, I'll always let you retake your turn if the thing that was wrong would have caused you to take a different action.

What I'm trying to say is... roll me 2d6 and say which spell you're using! (You can also attack with no spell on the green numbers, remember, from outside the room)

26. - Top - End - #86

Apparently, you didn't open my spoiler...

But I can reroll if you want.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-09-06 at 09:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Nope, totally missed it! I'm posting from myphone right now, so I won't have cards or tables for another 10 hours or so...

28. - Top - End - #88

GHOULS

Spoiler
    Show
    Nook, once again, threw a spell into the room before he'd even looked around it. The ghouls inside could hardly be described as turned to ash - more medium-rare. They were destroyed, but only just. If Nook was really going to meet his target treasure amount, he'd have to step up his game - and sharpish.

Serp's go!

29. - Top - End - #89

\o/

Madelyne squeals in a distinctly unpaladinlike manner and flees along the corridor like that girl from Scary Movie - she really doesn't like spiders.

30. - Top - End - #90

Mangles' go!