Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon! OOC

1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon! OOC

Nook has a number of lesser spells than his powerful varieties of lightning and fireball attacks, like the old dependable Magic Missile. But that isn't how Nook rolls. What he does roll up are his long, baggy sleeves, and he strides confidently into the chamber. There, the wizard is confronted by a

GIANT SPIDER

Spoiler
    Show
    Nook knows that his limbs are outnumbered two-to-one, but the grizzled old wizard does not seem to care at all. He circles round the spider, letting a few jabs part the air. The spider seems non-plussed. If it were capable of conscious thought, confusion would be what it felt.

Instead, as it regarded this strange prey that should have run, or been frozen to the spot in fear, what the arachnid felt was a few blows landing on its hairy exoskeleton. They resounded in the chamber with a dull thud. Now irritated, the spider let loose its spine-like hairs, which struck Nook, tearing his clothes and getting tangled in his beard. The damage beyond this, however, was minimal.

Not so when Nook found another opening to attack. His ruby ring, with its tall setting and sharp-cut stone, punctured the thorax of the spider and Nook wasted no time in turning a punch into a claw-like slash. For an old man, he was surprisingly wiry. Though the spider thrashed about, it too was old, and had sat underground for far too long without prey. The damage had been done, and after a few minutes of ducking and weaving around the thrashing limbs, and striking at any opening that appeared, the spider lost its balance, fell on its back, and curled up its legs.

Nook had won.

Board updated! Bonus points if you can Name That Spider (or at least tell me where it's from)!

Serpentine's go!
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Madelyne shrugs at the wall, sighs, and steps back into the weird, gross-smelling magicians lab, ready for trouble.

Monster please :/

(2d6+1)[8]

3. - Top - End - #183

Trouble instantly finds her. Once again, Madelyne is face to face with a

HILL GIANT

Spoiler
    Show
    Madelyne quickly realises that the giant had been sleeping in a cage. Right now, she cold see the acids had spilled to the edge and burned through the bars of a cage built into the walls. The giant was probably for the wizard to experiment on, poor thing. Her preoccupation with the Black Pudding had kept her attention from being cast into the shadows before, so she hadn't seen the giant or heard its breathing. Perhaps she should have concentrated on what was right in front of her this time too, because her view was snapped back forwards as the club connected with the faceguard on her helmet.

Spoiler
    Show
    (2d6)[2]

Snapped very much being the operative word. Madelyne's helmet protected her head, but sadly, her neck was not as strong. As her cranium span, the vertabrae tore the cord apart, and Madelyne dropped to the floor: instantly and silently. Perhaps, most importantly, the paladin went painlessly.

YOU ARE DEAD
    Drop all treasure. Return to main staircase.

You may play the same character or a different one. I'll put them all in the DM area of the board.

-----------------

Vesth, Mangles: take note. You may go to that chamber and pick up Serpentine's treasure. Rules are very unclear on what happens in chambers: notable stupidity includes a conflict between whether you fight the Hill Giant if you enter (and get the treasure from that monster), or whether you have to empty the chamber to get the treasure - and in that case, which monster you'd fight first (the Hill Giant or the monster not yet unveiled). Since nobody will get to it next turn, I'll update with more info when I've got to the bottom of the rules. If there's an objection to this: ("But I would have started heading there if I knew I just had to defeat the giant!") say so before your next turn and we'll pause the game until I figure it out.

On a related point of rules foolery, if we take the RAW, you can run away from the first and second monsters in a chamber if you don't defeat them, but not the third. There is no explanation given as to why, nor is it written as clearly as I just did (it says "the first or second monster you can run away from if you don't defeat it"... then doesn't mention the 3rd).

What is clear, however, is that you should not get to see what treasure Serpentine dropped there. However, since one of you might figure out how to abuse viewing the Revision History giving an unfair advantage, I'll just leave it face up so everyone's on an equal footing. Also, now that I've told you about the Revision History, there's no reason to hide it since you all know how to check what she had before.

Board updated! Mangles' go!

...and I highly recommend you all open that spoiler, if you're in the habit of not reading others' fluff
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-01 at 10:48 AM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Floid steps into the disgusting kings private chamber. Having faced enemies twice here already, he waits for the next attack before pressing on.

Monster Please

(2d6+1)[5]

Also I didn't know about revision history, but now that you've told me i've looked at the feature. Google docs is quickly becoming a replacement for office suite for me.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-01 at 05:05 PM.
    'Stralia: Now a campaign setting (D&D 3.5 E6)

5. - Top - End - #185

Awwww maaaaan. I didn't know you could die in one go, thought you always got a wound first

Fiiiiiiine I'll take... Alonzo the Elf, cuz Alonzo's a sweet name.
    (I was gonna go with a Thief and pick on the other guys, but I decided to abuse secret doors instead)
    (also it's half an hour 'til Doctor Who and you're not around for me to bug and I'm bored. What do?)

6. - Top - End - #186

Double 1s'll do that to ya. Update once I'm home and not on phone

7. - Top - End - #187

Moral of this story: always read posts even if they pertain to other people.

Mangles: doing it now

8. - Top - End - #188

Upon entering the chamber, Floid runs into a bunch of
    ORCS

Spoiler
    Show

Though his combat can hardly be described as graceful, Floid employs his brute strength to good effect. The first orc quickly falls in a mist of green blood, while his companions look on. Fighting two at once, Floid has to block multiple attacks with his shield, before he seizes the moment when one of his attackers is off balance, and he pushes back hard with his shield. This knocks one orc prostate, and while Floid would love to finish him off on the floor, there is still one more greenskin to deal with. Now that it's effectively one-on-one, the deciding matter comes down to swordsmanship, at which Floid is adept, and the result is something of a foregone conclusion.

The orc knocked to the ground stands up, only to be beaten down again by a magical blade. Floid may not know it, but his magical sword was not called the Orcslayer for nothing.

Mangles: I know there was no point in using it here, but don't forget about your ESP medallion. It's actually a very useful item when it comes to rooms.
    Orc picture is 2e if you were wondering. Compare and contrast: 3e pic from before, card.

Board updated, Vesth's go!

9. - Top - End - #189

Nook cheers for his ruby ring (and secretly for the death of his foe...shhhhh), and moves onto the next chamber with feet full of fast, hands full of fireball, and head full of empty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting fireball: (2d6)[10]
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-10-06 at 07:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Um... your piece still seems to be in the same chamber. Do you want to teleport to a new chamber, or move to the room nearest?

11. - Top - End - #191

It wasn't clear enough? It's outside the yellow room directly left of the 3rd level treasure chamber. Let me move it a little more...

12. - Top - End - #192

Just confused me a little because you said chamber. Just wanted to be sure before I revealed cards.

(Also I forgot that you stop outside rooms, not go into them. But ssh about that )

13. - Top - End - #193

Nook swings back the door and is hit by a stench similar to curdled milk. Yet this was no dairy room: the smell came from the middle of the room, where stood an

OGRE

Spoiler
    Show
    The ogre is surrounded by large pieces of wood. They appear to have been structural supports for the roof, and there are dusty and cobwebbed masonry tools near the stone pillars lain lengthways along the floor. Obviously, the wood was there to support the ceiling during repair.

The ogre has been trying to find a new club, by the looks of things. The great dining table that also filled the room has been broken to spinters, its heavy teak legs being discarded as too small. Likewise, several different joists have been pulled down, and tried for size.

Unfortunately, the ogre seems to have found one he likes.

Fortunately, he doesn't ever get to swing it, as Nook incinerates him mercilessly.

Unfortunately, Nook overdid the spell slightly and the room is now on fire. The roof supports are burning too, and the ceiling will probably collapse in soon.

There are lots of pieces of treasure around the dining hall, mostly goblets and silverware, some expensive-looking statuettes. But does Nook want to go in and risk the roof falling on him?

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically no mechanical change in effect here. Simply that it just doesn't make sense for a room to have a single silver cup in (unless it's like those altar rooms we had a while back). So now to explain Nook only getting one silver cup, it's because he has to rush in, grab the nearest thing of value, and get out before the roof falls in. If you choose to come back to it later, the fire will still be burning and the treasure won't be gone. Unless, that is, somebody else has taken it first.

Board updated!
    Serpentine's go!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-06 at 11:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194

The elf Alonzo sashays down the rope, careful not to tear his stockings. When he reaches the floor, he looks around and picks a passageway that still features a thick carpet of dust. He sticks walks past a door hanging open on its hinges, but pauses shortly after it at an odd little niche in the corridor.
    (1d6)[3]

Hey Lime, I seem to be having issues moving the pieces around. I'm going into the bottom right passage, past the wine cellar, and stopping at the secret door.

15. - Top - End - #195

You have two movement points remaining, if I'm remembering correctly.

Edit: Yes, I'm remembering correctly.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-06 at 11:59 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Actually I just moved you up two spaces to save time. You couldn't really do much else apart from turn around and go back. You can't enter any rooms either this turn.

If you post saying that's all fine and dandy, then it's Mangles' go!

17. - Top - End - #197

Oh, you don't have to stop when you search for a door? I thought that ended your turn.
    <.<
    ...maybe I should read the rules again.

Yeah, that's good, thanks.

18. - Top - End - #198

Floid moves in to the next room for another kill, and hopefully more treasure. His latest treasure giving him foresight of what monster is to come.

Monster Please.

(2d6+1)[9]

19. - Top - End - #199

On my phone so I can't do fancy stuff or update the board. What I can do is keep the game moving. There may be typos. But I'll clean it up and edit in the flashy pics n links later.

Floid touches the doorhandle, and his mind is suddenly filled with a vision of a pink and purple
    GARGOYLE - he presumes on the other side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Floid fondles his follicles thoughtfully. I reckon I can take him... he thinks, and opens the door.

Inside are a number of stone statues.It's unclear if this is a workshop, storeroom, or if they're on display; but it soon becomes evident that one is cursed with dark magic!

Its alabaster skin turns hues of fuchsia, and the frozen grimace changes to a fearsome snarl. But Floid, forewarned, is already by the statue's pedestal, and as the belly transforms from stone to scales, Floid plunges his magical meat cleaver into the belly of the beast.

...and I don't have my tables so your treasure will be a surprise later!

In one of the non-cursed statue's hands was a glimmer of gold. It was another golden goblet! As if an eight-foot marble likeness wasn't ostentatious enough. Floid took it, and planned his next move.

Vesth's go, if he doesn't mind taking it missing that info!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-08 at 08:07 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

What's with this fetish for silver goblets lately?

21. - Top - End - #201

They're... rather common treasure for the levels you're hanging around on. Not telling you if they've all gone yet. But Floid just got a gold one.

22. - Top - End - #202

Board updated! Vesth, your turn.

23. - Top - End - #203

Nook swipes the goblet, before teleporting off to Teasure chamber #2, lighting up the room with bursts of magical energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Teleporting to, casting lightning: (2d6)[5]

24. - Top - End - #204

Nook grabs the nearest thing he can, which happens to be a silver cup. An ominous creak resounds above the crackling of fire and shakes Nook even more than the smell of burning ogre - somehow worse than when it wasn't aflame.

The wizard rolls, uncharacteristically athletically, out of the room just as the ceiling and tons of dirt rain down on where he was moments before. Truly, a close escape.

Continuing back to the 3rd Level Treasure Chamber, Nook has another close shave - something from the darkness tries to grasp him just as he dematerialises. Instead, the wizard suddenly appears one floor up in the 2nd Level Treasure chamber, much to the surprise of the two

HOBGOBLINS

Spoiler
    Show

This was the second lot of hobgoblins that Nook had surprised in this chamber, and the third overall. Nook sighed.

They'd been the ones too cowardly to come forth from the darkness having seen their friends get immolated for the god of fire, and they instantly recognised Nook. The two appeared to have been fighting with each other before they were interrupted, either about what had happened before, or - and this occurred to Nook as he watched them run awkwardly for their polearms on the floor a short distance away - because they were feeling fighty from the wine party Nook had crashed earlier.

The previous two times he'd used fire. Simply for variety, he cast lightning bolts at the back of their necks, and the two tumbled to the floor, in a mess of broken noses and shattered teeth. They wouldn't be getting up again.

Now then, thought Nook, Where was I going, again?

That one was actually quite nice to write. This is starting to feel like it has an actual story, people! Vesth, if you don't like Nook's thinking colour, let me know. I couldn't remember you using one before.

Board updated!
    Serpentine's go!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-08 at 10:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Alonzo takes a couple of steps into this exciting, if rather shabbily decorated, corridor. He's so distracted by the ghastly tapestries that he nearly walks straight past the room on his right. But he doesn't, and he peers tentatively into it.

Monster please!
    (2d6)[11]

Also it seems that this laptop doesn't let me move my pieces around for some reason, sorry

26. - Top - End - #206

Ruling on unclaimed treasure in chambers, and monster rotation in chambers, will be made by the end of tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #207

I don't mind any color. It all looks ok to me! But generally speaking, I normally use Darkorchid for most of my games.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-10-08 at 09:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Peeping around the door, inside Alonzo spots four or five
    GOBLINS

Spoiler
    Show
    They're all sat at weaving looms making the hideous tapestries that Alonzo noticed on the corridor walls. With a flourish, he takes one stride into the room, and makes an announcement to the diminutive crafters.

"You are all an affront to the beauty of the world in which I live!", declares the elf, "And it has fallen to my fate to find you this day; and surely my destiny is your destruction on the charge of crimes against fashion!"

The goblins look nervous. They are weavers, not warriors, and are looking for no trouble. When Alonzo draws his sword, however, they know things are serious, and make their best efforts at self-preservation.

Wielding carding boards and combs, throwing embroidery needles, and holding knitting needles are ineffectual ways to extend your lifespan when faced with a violent situation, and the peaceful goblins discover this the hard way.

Alonzo plunders the room: he's looking for a new hat or shawl, or any garment really that hasn't been too badly deformed during its creation, but the goblins were diligent in their ineptitude, it seems. Instead, all Alonzo can scrape together are 250 gold coins. It was probably to buy more thread. Alonzo shrugs and pockets it. Once back in town, he'll probably use it for much the same: to buy thread in the form of finished clothing.

BOARD UPDATED
    MANGLES' GO

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    I don't mind any color. It all looks ok to me! But generally speaking, I normally use Darkorchid for most of my games.
    Missed this post. Will fix.

30. - Top - End - #210

Floid uses the back entrance of the room, concealed behind a statue, and continues down the hallway towards his next conquest.