1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon! OOC

Inside Alonzo stumbles into a nest of

DIRE GIANT RATS

(Yes, that's actual 2e artwork)

Spoiler
    Show
    This too seems to have been some sort of cloakroom, but what the actual clothing was is now indiscernible. The giant rats have turned the garments into rags and used them to build a foul-smelling nest in the middle of the room.

Alonzo brandishes his sword fearlessly, and though the rats swarm at him all at once, it's only because of his elven dexterity that his shins avoid being bitten. As he dodges out of the way, he makes short work of one overgrown rodent that got too close. Two left.

They're driven back by a broad swing that Alonzo doesn't really aim - it's more to gain himself some distance as he's been forced to retreat into the corner. Still, this cuts clean through one of the rats' ears, and it squeals awfully. Its companion seems momentarily distracted by the noise, which probably has ultrasonic overtures too high for Alonzo's pointed ears. Spotting his opportunity, Alonzo targets the unharmed rat. Slipping the sword between its ribs, it lies breathing heavily. Death approaches.

Now that it's one on one, the fight is a foregone conclusion. The rat lunges in to attack Alonzo again, but this is its downfall: bringing its teeth to bear necessitates bringing its head nearer, and with a deft move, the final rat is beheaded.

Searching through the stinking nest, and grimacing all the while, Alonzo finds nothing of value. In one of the - he presumes it's a jacket - that he lifts, there is a strange weight in the pocket.

A brass rectangle, about five inches by three inches, is engraved with the words:

That you shall seek to open
    This metal shows the way:
    What's hidden is uncovered,
    What's secret sees the light of day.

Alonzo puts it in his pocket, and shrugs to the dying rat on the floor, rasping its last breaths.

BOARD UPDATED
    MANGLES' GO
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-14 at 11:01 AM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rast looks around the dungeon with distaste and quickly leaves the main room with a spell. A tale from his servants about a fallen warrior should hopefully pan out with some quick cash to pay his pesky gambling debts.

Spoiler
    Show

roll for secret door. (d6)[3]

The rumours pointed him in this direction, but Rast is unable to find the door they spoke of, nor the dead warrior. He was sure it was this way.

Board Updated
    Vesth GO!
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-14 at 03:13 PM.
    'Stralia: Now a campaign setting (D&D 3.5 E6)

3. - Top - End - #243

Belay that.

Rules check time. I don't think you can teleport from Level 1 to Level 3 on the same turn - but even if the rules say you can, certainly not with just one teleport spell.

edit:
    RULING:

Taking the RAW (as we do) things according to the rulebook are... well really what did you expect, things are unclear (as usual).

If a wizard teleports to an empty chamber, he "may continue his normal move".

It is not stated that using a spell ends your turn
    It is not stated that only one spell can be used per turn
    I'm going to rule that "normal move" includes "casting movement spells", since, for a wizard, this is pretty normal.

So it is okay to cast two (or more) teleport spells in the same turn, as long as you are not interrupted by combat.
    Wizards moving in this manner are allowed to arrive in a chamber by teleport spell, and then cast a combat spell just as if they'd only used one teleport spell

If either Vesth or Serpentine have an issue with this, please let me know as soon as possible

Mangles, in the interest of keeping the game flowing, I've deducted another teleport spell. If knowing the rules would have led you to a different decision than teleporting down to Level 3, let me know and I'll give you a do-over.
    I'm very glad you didn't roll for combat this turn - especially if you'd rolled and failed. I give everyone the same opportunity to retake a go if the rules might have changed their turn decision, by the way. You can see it with my response to Vesth's post. It seems fair because you don't have the rulebook.
    But again, any concerns or complaints, let me know.

(/edit)

Reminder: teleport spells let you move to a chamber
    • 1 Level higher
    • The same level
    • 1 Level Lower

Reminder which chambers are which level:

Level 2 chambers:

Prisoner's chamber
    2nd Level Treasure Chamber

Level 3 chambers:

King's private chamber
    3rd Level Treasure Chamber

Level 4 Chambers:

Queen's Private Chamber
    4th Level Treasure Chamber

Level 5 Chambers:

Chamber of Sorrows
    Chamber of Fire
    Wizard's Lab
    5th Level Treasure Chamber

Level 6 Chambers:

Chamber of Death
    6th Level Treasure Chamber

----------------------------------------------

As I keep saying, please don't take my tone as harsh. I never mind you asking questions, and I won't hold it against you if you make mistakes. I think I've posted this list before, and I think I looked into the teleport rules.... but that was about teleporting in and casting a spell for combat if I remember correctly. Let me get you some clarification. (edit: done)

In other news:
    I'm back from visiting. Normal schedule resumed.

Mangles' turn, until he confirms his actions/movement/spell usage for this turn.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-14 at 06:32 PM.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

Yessssss!

And yeah, that's fine by me Lime

5. - Top - End - #245

That's fine by me, but can I change one of my fireball spells for an extra teleport seeing as I just grabbed my spells last turn. Either way I'm going to take this action. Can't update anything on the board for a few hours though.

6. - Top - End - #246

Eerm... I suppose so? As always, that is if nobody else has an issue with you doing so. I did offer a do-over, and technically you didn't choose your spells before your turn started...

I'm going to swap it in so that if Vesth is fine with it then we don't have to wait for me to come back and update the board.

Board conditionally updated
    Provisionally Vesth's go!

7. - Top - End - #247

That's fine by me.

8. - Top - End - #248

"Another wizard? Bah, you can't measure up to my magical prowess!"

Nook shouts as he senses the new magical signature seeping through the area, launching a fireball as he moves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move outside secret door: (1d6)[3]

If Nook finds the door, he launches a fireball into it.

If not, he moves down one more space, and launches a fireball in the room below.

Attack: (2d6)[3]

9. - Top - End - #249

Satisfied with a job well done, Alonzo saunters back down the corridor, sneering at the tatty hangings as he goes.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    If Nook finds the door, he launches a fireball into it.

If not, he moves down one more space, and launches a fireball in the room below.
    If you fail to find a secret door, your turn ends, I'm afraid. This has come up before, though it was several weeks (months?) ago. And Nook failed to find the secret door.

Serpentine's taken her go, so now that the board's updated it's back to Mangles' turn!
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-15 at 11:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

Rast continues to search the room for the doorway his servants told him about. Surely it was just around here somewhere.

(d6)[5]

Finding nothing he sighs, perhaps he should try the other side of the room. The side he didn't come through.

Vesth GO
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-15 at 03:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

Nook quickly tosses a fireball into the nearest room he can see. There's so much to burn!

Spoiler
    Show
    Move outside the room below.

Fireball: (2d6)[6]
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-10-15 at 10:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253

Nook hurriedly throws back the mossy wooden door to reveal a
    TROLL

Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps Nook should have done more than quickly tossing his fireball inside. As it was, the fireball flew into the wrong corner, and though the flames quickly consumed the room, trolls are exceptionally hardy.

As his cloak was ruffled by the air rushing back into the room, Nook stared as the green gangly giant began moving towards the entry.

BOARD UPDATED
    SERPENTINE'S GO!

14. - Top - End - #254

Alonzo continues his walking and his sneering.

15. - Top - End - #255

Board updated
    Mangles' turn

16. - Top - End - #256

Rast searches the third corner. "Stupid cousin was a see'er, it'll be easy money. That door has to be around somewhere."

(d6)[2]

17. - Top - End - #257

Reminder: you can't cast into the room unless you have a movement point left. Rast doesn't.

18. - Top - End - #258

"Ahhaaa got it. Treasures here I come."

Rast tries to shoot a fireball into the room like he was told too. Some sort of undead or something. It fizzles in his mind, "Too much running, need to catch my breath."

(2d6)[11]

Vesth GO

EDIT: Belay that roll due to the rules above I clearly didn't pay enough attention to.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-16 at 07:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259

Sorry 'bout this guys, but I have to travel for a couple of days from tomorrow and I don't know when I'll have internet access in that time. I'll update when I can, but I'll likely be patchy. Sorry.

20. - Top - End - #260

That's fine. Just check in when you can. If you want to PM me a move or two to have in hand that's an option we can pursue. But I won't make any decisions on your behalf.

21. - Top - End - #261

Wait a second. I took a look at that monster card, and...

It was a...blank for Lightning and a 7 for Fireball? Is it immune to Lightning?

22. - Top - End - #262

Oops. I thought I'd said it in the thread (but I can't search for it) but since it's not on the Google Document, I'm guessing that I never actually did.

Sorry, yes, a "-" means "cannot defeat" on this number. So the troll is immune to lightning. So is that Mummy that Rast is about to face.
    This is a major reason that the ESP medallion is useful.
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-17 at 08:54 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

Nook casually grins at the offending monster, and drops a fireball at his feet, creating a wall of fire that blocked off the passageway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball: (2d6)[11]

24. - Top - End - #264

Now that the flames were concentrated into such a small area - instead of across the whole room - the fire raged intensely, fuelled by the backdraft effect that Nook's last attack created.

For the troll, this was bad news. Though many other creatures would be terrified of the fire, the beast continued to advance as the flames began to appear. By the time the spell had reached full effect, half a ton of troll sprinting towards the door, combined with the slipperiness of the mossy floor of the atrium, meant that no evasive manoeuvres could be taken.

From inside the room, the troll disappeared into the exposed, vertical furnace of the wizard's making. From the outside, small specks of soot and ash dotted Nook's snow-white beard. Popping unharmed through this blazing veil came a golden ring with a small, sharp ruby set proud - not unlike the one which had helped defeat the giant spider. Nook plucked it out of his beard, and appraised it. This one was a keeper.

With his concentration wavering, the fire died out. However, startled by this sudden and rather drastic change in his surroundings, Nook fumbled with the fine ring that he was holding up to the light, and it bounced back into the room with delicate, high-pitched chimes.

BOARD UPDATED (again)
    SERPENTINE'S GO
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-18 at 08:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

ETA on Serpentine's turn is about 10 hours, so I'm told. Hang in there guys.

26. - Top - End - #266

Sorry If I was just walking down the corridor some more I could do that, but I think it's about to get complicated for me so I'd like to see the board before I do anything. Sorry again

27. - Top - End - #267

Stick around for like 10 minutes

28. - Top - End - #268

NOOK DOES NOT HAVE THE GOLD RING

THE GOLD RING IS IN THE ROOM MARKED "ATRIUM"

THIS IS BECAUSE I FORGOT THAT NOOK WAS CASTING FROM OUTSIDE THE ROOM

SINCE I TOOK THIS SCREENSHOT THE BOARD HAS BEEN CORRECTED

(This image will be removed straight after your turn)
    Image removed as presumably you're back home now
    Last edited by --Lime--; 2012-10-19 at 04:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Aww you went. Shame.

30. - Top - End - #270

Dagnabbit! It was a good idea, though.

Alonzo was going to poke at an interesting bit of wall, but is distracted by all the pretty colours and bright lights at the end of the hall. Seeing Nook fumble with something particularly shiny, he instead dives into the room after it. He puts the ring on his delicate finger and admires it there, before giving the wizard a wink and a grin.

Yay!