Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Ages of Athas (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Are you also okay with me switching out battlemind utility concussive response for skill utility iron resurgence? Maybe less effective, but more in line with Eveve's healing motif.
    Sure thing. Oh, and give me the link to Eveve's mythweavers sheet so I can update the first post.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC OOC OOC2
    Ages of Athas: Map IC OOC OOC2

RP Characters
    Samel - Human Invoker of Pelor
    Tombak - Halfling Thief
    Kriv - Dragonborn Bravura

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still filling out the sheet. Delving into the details is what's making me notice all these nuances and possibilities.

Speaking of which -- where can I go to find out about mounts and beasts of burden in Athas? Aside from the Dark Sun book, that is.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

There aren't many

Crodlu
    Erdlu
    Inix
    Krank
    Mekillot

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

edit: Found some info from http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...beastsofburden

Spoiler
    Show
    Beasts of Burden

ďOf burdenĒ is a bit redundant on Athas, isnít it? What part of fighting for survival in a land of predators and savages could not be burdensome? These beasts represent, almost in its entirety, the list of creatures whose nature has not yet been so twisted under the dying Sun that they canít still be trained and managed safely (and the mekillot pushes this definition, to be sure).

As mounts, pack animals, transports, and sources of food, each of these beasts (crodlu, erdlu, inix, kank, and mekillot) serves the peoples of the City-States and beyond in multiple capacities.

Crodlu

Crodlu are long-legged and long-necked beasts resembling large, reptilian erdlu. They share the erdluís resilience to the Athasian climate and a tolerance for all forms of dietary opportunities. Instead of wings, they posses two spindly arms that end in fierce claws used to rake combatants when forced to self defense. Able to make acceptable speeds when burdened with up to 150kgs thanks to their powerful hind legs, crodlu are preferred as mounts and pack animals. When grouped, males can become aggressive; their natural social structure is that of a mid-sized pack (15-30 animals) with a dominant male. This makes them less suited to herding than erdlu or kanks.

Not that it matters much. The animals, when reared in domestication, are eminently trainable. Their poor eyesight makes them trusting mounts and reliable pack animals, while their uncanny olfactory can offer early warnings in travel to handlers acute enough to understand crodlu behavior. When standing upright with neck outstretched they are at least three and a half meters tall.

Erdlu

A two meter tall, fleet of foot, scale-skinned, flightless bird. At around 100kg, most of which is quite edible, the erdlu is the perfect herd animal and well adapted to the Brown Age rigors of Athas. They naturally flock together for defense against predators, can outrun (over short distances, maybe a kilometer or so) many adversaries, and are possessed of unflappable digestive tracks. From parched vegetation and briny water to small lizards and insects, they pretty much take care of their own dietary needs. Erdlu eggs are a travelerís best friend.

The erdlu is, in many respects, one of the pillars of demihuman life on Athas. Beyond being well adapted and easy to rear and herd, the animal seems almost purposefully engineered to be completely useful. As mentioned, erdlu meat is both delicious and ample (unlike the sinewy crodlu or unpalatable kank). Erdlu eggs are nutritious and provide a days supply of water in addition to quashing hunger. Their beaks are sharp and tough, making excellent spear heads and their long neck tendons are the perfect length and strength for bow strings. Their light weight and sturdy leg bones are terrific for crafting weapons and tools. Even their hides are saleable as a modest and breathable armor after proper drying and treatment. Truly a miracle animal.

Inix

Large lizards that serve as much as status symbols as useful animals. They are sized between the kank and the mekillot at some four to five meters long in the body (their tails add to this). Well tempered and very trainable, they are typically employed as mounts. They are capable of carting several hundred kilograms of cargo and are frequently used as a luxury form of travel. Their broad backs provide an easy mounting for howdahs, box-like carriages that provide shade and comfort while traveling under the Sun.

Inix plod along at an acceptable, if not brisk, pace that can be kept up for hours on end with one caveat. The creatures are voracious vegetarians, and scrub plains are difficult to find East of the Ringing Mountains. It is thus that only the very wealthy are likely to travel by Inix while in The Tablelands.

Kank

Large docile insect with a triptych anatomy, not unlike a two and a half meter long ant. Like their smaller brethren, they organize into a caste-based hive. Producers, soldiers, and brooders round out the hive-roles. The hive mind makes them a more stubborn animal than the Erdlu, but skilled herders have no problems negotiating this dynamic. The producers secret a greenish nectar for feeding the young (and the hive generally when resources are scarce) that is highly sought for its sweet flavor.

Believe it or not, kanks are fast.It is simply impossible to comprehend until one actually sees those legs churning like the granite wheels of a silt-skimmer in a sandstorm. It is for this reason kank herding is monopolized by elves. First, kank hives can march at a pace to match Elven runners over large distances, and are the only beasts so gifted (erdlu tire too quickly). Second, Elves seem to be the only demihuman race fast enough to keep pace with the kanks long enough to steer the herd. Additionally, the Elven temperament seems to tolerate the extra effort such a niche product as kank honey requires. The animals are wholly unsuited for consumption, as their flesh is a foul substance even a starving scavenger cannot endure to palette. They also make splendid mounts, though life expectancy is impacted without the structure of the hive.

Mekillot

Enormous, ill-tempered, carnivorous beasts as likely to eat their trainers and wander into the silt as to pull their pack in the desired direction. Weighing several tonnes, they grow over ten meters long. They are protected on both head and body by a thick, armored shell. Were it not for the insurmountable expense of rearing the animals, this shell might be used effectively for production of armor and shields. Such armaments would not grow too hot to touch under the glaring sun, and would be far lighter than many alternatives.

As already mentioned, their appetite for meat and imposing physical stature makes them dangerous animals. At the same time, their strength is undeniable; the slave trade would be seriously hindered without the multi-level mekillot sand barges that feed the labor needs of the City-States.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-26 at 12:48 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

The new Eveve. Still haven't finished with equipment because I just threw a concept at Meltheim in PM, but the stats are there.

Ooh, just remembered another equipment-related question. An alhulak is described as including a grapnel. Is that enough to support Eveve's weight for a climb?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but the line is very short so you couldn't batman up a building or anything.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm gonna start describing Calder's weapons in regards to the animals he's killed and made into weapons.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    And if anyone wants help being all the classes, let me know.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Just added the following to the first post in this thread - kind of to try and get you all current with the storyline and establish some common knowledge about the major players.

Timeline:

Spoiler
    Show
    King Kalak ruled Tyr for many years under an iron fist. His disregard for the use of slave labor won him no friends, but his strength more than quelled any talk of rebellion - until recently.

Tithian, Kalak's High Templar and right-hand man, led a long-planned slave revolt and overthrew King Kalak, planting the Heartwood Spear through the man's chest and toppling his reign over Tyr. Tithian did not do this alone, however. As it has now become public knowledge, Tithian was aided in his assassination by several others:

• Rikus - a mul ex-gladiator, who planted the first seeds of rebellion
    • Sadira - a half-elf ex-slave
    • Agis of Asticles - a high-ranking noble of House Asticles in Tyr, practitioner of The Way
    • Neeva - ex-gladiator

These 5, known as the Deposers of Kalak, have spent the past 6 months doing what they can to restore order within the free state of Tyr. They have had to appease rival factions on all sides, from former slaves and commonoers to the House Merchants, Nobles, and Kalak's own former Templars.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    These 5, known as the Deposers of Kalak, have spent the past 6 months doing what they can to restore order within the free state of Tyr. They have had to appease rival factions on all sides, from former slaves and commonoers to the House Merchants, Nobles, and Kalak's own former Templars.
    So who are the powerful groups now? The Templars, merchants and nobility would probably retain the lion's share of control if this were historical Earth, but if the Deposers' supporters or the rebel ex-slaves made some key gains in the chaos (e.g. seizing the main water supply) or had unusual mystical support, they might have a solid enough power base to fend off the established powers.

I'm also curious about how life has changed for 'the common man', and (if this is sufficiently broadly known) what Tithian's motive was in his betrayal of Kalak.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Correction - Rikus is the one who threw the spear. This is what I get for late night typing :)

I'll amend when I get in to the office.

Dimers - the major power groups are still Merchants, Templars, Nobles, but commoners now have a voice in things as well, for they now know that nobody can hold the throne forever.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally posted in IC. Yes, the forums ate it twice. I'll clean up typos when i get a chance later today.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Loved the Dark Sun books Obviously Lazam is from where the Heartwood Spear was made/created - would he have knowledge of this?
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-08-27 at 10:53 AM.
    EVE:Online - Mr Noah
    Steam: SlippingSand
    PbP Game List:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't read the Prism Pentad series in a looooong time. might have to drag those back out!

Side note - forums appear to be extra crashy this morning. I recommend at least copying what you write, if not saving it in a separate document just in case it gets eaten.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-27 at 12:57 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, Calder attempt 3 - fewer tattoos, bigger hair, wrist razors.

kind of looking Wolverine-ish

next up, Huren, Van and Eveve
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-27 at 01:44 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

edit: Huren totally looks like a ninja. I hope that's ok Shular!
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-27 at 02:32 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Requests for Eveve! Work that avatar-artist magic!

Tall for a dwarf but short for a human. Dark hair in a green kerchief. Her large eye is green but the small one is black. The slant of her brows implies focus or concentration. Mouth is covered by a filter mask. Typical desert wrap over her armor and equipment, beige with faded red trim. Brown boots, black-as-sin alhulak.

*bounces in seat eagerly*

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Saving you for last. Working on Van now. Thank god I did a beard for one of Tegu's other characters (in fact, I stole Calder's mohawk from that same character too)

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, here's Van.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Eveve. I had to put some contrast with the weapon so that it would not just look like a blob, but hopefully that works. I'm assuming its obsidian.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huren looks fine, thanks. Don't mind if there's a bit of a ninja resemblance.

I am a little confused about what's going on IC. I read my spoiler, then apparently Huren is standing outside the city about to go out with a caravan? I had to read the other spoilers to understand the trip is to Altaruk. Is that where House Stel is based, and so that's why Huren would leave Tyr?

I guess, before going to the caravan, Huren would have tried to get more information about House Stel.

Streetwise check about House Stel: (1d20+8)[22]

The result of this check will determine what I write in my first post.
    Throk, Half-orc fighter
    Huren, Githzrai rogue
    Neener, Pixie Hexblade

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Shular - sorry i didn't make things more clear. It was about 1am by the time I rewrote that the third time

House Stel is militaristic, much like their home City-State of operations - Urik. They trade in obsidian weapons, primarily, but also work the slave trade (outside of Tyr). You also have heard many rumors that they have no qualms about dealing in stolen cargo and hostages - no doubt seized from other merchant caravans on the road.

Their emblem is a white banner with a pair of crossed black scimitars.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I can understand the combination of eaten posts and late hours, while trying to juggle starting several storylines.

Can I get a little more information on what Rikus want's Calder to do? He's got to be fair iconic, between his appearance, and that he's a well fought gladiator. He's not gonna be a fan of Slavers. Once he's away from Tyr me may be able to "blend in" but not at the gate. The only reason I can think of that he'd go with them is to make sure they actually leave. "See you safely out of Tyr territory. Wouldn't want any freedom fighters to attack caravan." Unless they have some deal with Tithian to transport something, and Calder is there to guard that thing.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

I can understand the combination of eaten posts and late hours, while trying to juggle starting several storylines.

Can I get a little more information on what Rikus want's Calder to do? He's got to be fair iconic, between his appearance, and that he's a well fought gladiator. He's not gonna be a fan of Slavers. Once he's away from Tyr me may be able to "blend in" but not at the gate. The only reason I can think of that he'd go with them is to make sure they actually leave. "See you safely out of Tyr territory. Wouldn't want any freedom fighters to attack caravan." Unless they have some deal with Tithian to transport something, and Calder is there to guard that thing.
    Sorry guys, I'll put it plainly :)

1. Huren knows that there's a huge amount of information to be gathered by tailing along with this caravan, especially since there might be plans for Urik to invade Tyr.

2. Rikus is trying to recruit both Calder and Van into going along with the caravan as eyes-and-ears for Tithian. Basically infiltrate the caravan under the guise of booking safe travel to Altaruk. There are a hodge podge of people and caravans are pretty much the only way that anyone travels. Unless you're holding a sandwich board that says "Stel sucks" they'll probably let you in no problem

3. Damakos already knows what he's got to do based on the ONLY successful PM I was able to send out last night to Felhammer

4. Lazam's people are regularly sent to Urik as 'tribute' to appease the sorcerer-king there and to protect his people from being slaughtered by Urikite soldiers. Lazam disagrees with this process and is following along to infiltrate/disrupt the shipment of weapons that he knows will be used by Urikite soldiers to attack Forest Ridge in search of the Heartwood Spear (SandDemon, to answer your earlier question - yes he would have knowledge of this)

5. Eveve is joining up with the caravan as hired muscle and a healer, for a job, and to stretch her legs and get out on the road

edit: Tegu, one of the things that Calder would know is that outside of Tyr, pretty much everyone is a slaver to some degree.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-27 at 07:39 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. The IC stuff really is great flavor, I just want more of it from you at o'dark:30 in the morning.

Last questions before I post. Were Van and Calder inserted together, or separately (if separate, do they know what the other is doing)? And is it possible to have our weapons smuggled in?

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Eveve looks great! No, the weapon is just black from dyes and scorching. It's mostly bone (including the haft), with obsidian chips at the tips and a lump of cheap slag metal holding together the arms.

EDIT: Wow, that really is astounding, perfectly to order. How can I set that as my avatar?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-08-27 at 08:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree, we are looking several degrees of bad-assery over here. Calder is looking nice and crazy, Huren a nice little ninja, Van looks like he's been eaten once or twice, and Eveve definitely looks like a desert wanderer. Can't wait to see the rest, as always. I may have to change my avatar again.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

All the avatars are done, barring edits. They should all be posted ....

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Er, I meant, how do I use that as my Playground pic? I've never used an avatar before, and I don't know the process -- like, whether the file has to be saved on a particular domain or uploaded or ... duh. I can learn new things about computer use quickly, but it helps me emotionally to have someone directing me the first time.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

As I'm doing it myself, I'll guide you through. Easiest way, open the avatar in it's own window or tab, so you can get a URL.

On this site, check our the "User CP," should be the farthest left on the brown bar. From there "Edit Options." Scroll down to the very bottom, select "Custom" under the Avatar options, then paste in your URL, and save the changes.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

let me give you proper sizes so that it fits well.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

I'd change mine, but I've had this Disciple of Asmodeus pic that someone made me for several years
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-08-27 at 10:10 PM.
    EVE:Online - Mr Noah
    Steam: SlippingSand
    PbP Game List: