Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Ages of Athas (OOC)

I need two more pieces of info before my turn comes around. Shular, if Eveve would be aware of it, what weapons does Huren have in his hands right now? Meltheim, can I place my spirit companion on the map?

Both questions relate to my shaman power. If something moves-without-shifting next to my SC, I give someone a RBA with combat advantage. Huren's average damage for that is great, but if he doesn't have the right weapon ready, I'll use Damakos.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-08-30 at 10:38 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

The system is a bit complex at first, but trust me, it works pretty well, and speeds up PbP combat quite a bit. I may be a bit biased, but once you get used to it, you'll appreciate it.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    And if anyone wants help being all the classes, let me know.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Lol ok it's my turn to act like an idiot...kinda wiped some colors off the sheet. I promise I won't try that again :) I was trying to help out and make them all sand-colored but screwed up the caravan/mekillots.

Edit: Ok that's maybe better :)
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-08-30 at 11:47 PM.
    EVE:Online - Mr Noah
    Steam: SlippingSand
    PbP Game List:

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SandDemon View Post
    Lol ok it's my turn to act like an idiot...kinda wiped some colors off the sheet. I promise I won't try that again :) I was trying to help out and make them all sand-colored but screwed up the caravan/mekillots.

Edit: Ok that's maybe better :)
    Looks great. We'll leave it as sand color for default

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC OOC OOC2
    Ages of Athas: Map IC OOC OOC2

RP Characters
    Samel - Human Invoker of Pelor
    Tombak - Halfling Thief
    Kriv - Dragonborn Bravura

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I need two more pieces of info before my turn comes around. Shular, if Eveve would be aware of it, what weapons does Huren have in his hands right now? Meltheim, can I place my spirit companion on the map?

Both questions relate to my shaman power. If something moves-without-shifting next to my SC, I give someone a RBA with combat advantage. Huren's average damage for that is great, but if he doesn't have the right weapon ready, I'll use Damakos.
    Damn .... I totally forgot about your spirit companion. Uh, what do you want it to look like? I can whip something up. Might just be a head or something though until i have time to do a full body

how about this until I get something permanent?

Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-31 at 12:36 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

I've got one too by the way ("Spirit of Athas"). A whirling sand tornado would be kind of cool or a ghostly image of the Spirit Oracle.
    EVE:Online - Mr Noah
    Steam: SlippingSand
    PbP Game List:

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

It's because I distracted you with all that 'kank' nonsense

Eveve's spirit companion isn't even slightly humanoid ... no face, no limbs, no moving parts as it were. Hmm. Lemme try to rough it out in ASCII --

.......^
    ....../ |
    .....| ||
    .....| ||
    .....| ||
    ...My~:~Xk-
    ...Vo}}OY?/
    .....\ | /

Okay, that's more or less got it. Floating dusty-pink crystal with dun rocks in a ring about a third of the way up. Sorry for all the dots on the left -- the Playground removes blanks and tabs, so I had to put them in to get the spacing right.

EDIT: Use anything at all for the time being. I'm used to dice and Parcheesi pawns as minis. Legos are a big step up. A drawing is more than I expect. I was just gonna put the letters "SC" in a square.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-08-31 at 02:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yup, the second the alert was called, Huren's hand-crossbow was in his hand, with his dagger in his left (just like the picture but opposite ). Because of the time issue, feel free to roll Huren's attack with crossbow (or shuriken if within 6 of target). See character sheet for plusses, add 2 for combat advantage and 2d6 for sneak attack damage (+1 damage if sneak attack is with shuriken).

Huren would have tried to position himself closer to the front if he could have cover there. I wanted to be in one of the squares a mekillot occupied, but can't put my icon overtop another.
    Last edited by Shular; 2012-08-31 at 04:50 AM.
    Throk, Half-orc fighter
    Huren, Githzrai rogue
    Neener, Pixie Hexblade

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shular View Post
    Because of the time issue, feel free to roll Huren's attack ...
    Thanks!

... with crossbow (or shuriken if within 6 of target). See character sheet for plusses, add 2 for combat advantage and 2d6 for sneak attack damage (+1 damage if sneak attack is with shuriken).
    Hmm. I see a problem here. You couldn't RBA with shuriken because your hands are full and because you don't have Quick Draw; you can RBA with a "load free" crossbow but can't reload it with a dagger in your other hand (any "load" item requires two hands); and if you throw your dagger, it doesn't come back because it's not magical. Difficult situation.

Huren would have tried to position himself closer to the front if he could have cover there. I wanted to be in one of the squares a mekillot occupied, but can't put my icon overtop another.
    Which reminds me, Meltheim -- sometimes my spirit companion (let's call her "Crystal") will be floating up in the air, which means people might end up under her. I don't know much about operating GoogleDocs so I might be missing something, but it seems like the simplest solution is to give her a "CHARACTER NOTES" entry on the map sheet and use that line to record her position and height. For example, "N12, 3 squares off the ground".

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks!

Hmm. I see a problem here. You couldn't RBA with shuriken because your hands are full and because you don't have Quick Draw; you can RBA with a "load free" crossbow but can't reload it with a dagger in your other hand (any "load" item requires two hands); and if you throw your dagger, it doesn't come back because it's not magical. Difficult situation.

Which reminds me, Meltheim -- sometimes my spirit companion (let's call her "Crystal") will be floating up in the air, which means people might end up under her. I don't know much about operating GoogleDocs so I might be missing something, but it seems like the simplest solution is to give her a "CHARACTER NOTES" entry on the map sheet and use that line to record her position and height. For example, "N12, 3 squares off the ground".
    2 solutions.

1. load a crossbow WITH a dagger - nice right? (kidding, kidding)
    2. I'll whip something up for Crystal (lol) and we can put a note. I don't think technically that you can move them vertically though, I don't think they float. I mean, we can RP it that way, but unless you find a rule that says they can move vertically, I'll have to rule that they are on 'ground level' with the rest of you.

edit: Here's Crystal

Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-31 at 11:39 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SandDemon View Post
    I've got one too by the way ("Spirit of Athas"). A whirling sand tornado would be kind of cool or a ghostly image of the Spirit Oracle.
    Here's uh ... Dusty

edit: and please disregard the fact that I used the same cloud for both of you. Clouds in Athas come in only 1 shape
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-31 at 11:53 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    unless you find a rule that says they can move vertically, I'll have to rule that they are on 'ground level' with the rest of you.
    Fine pic-work once again! Re: floating -- by default, conjurations do. Per DDI, "The conjuration does not need to be supported by a solid surface, so it can float in the air."

When I looked that up, I noticed the bit about "movable conjurations" (which a SC is), and discovered that I'll need to keep Crystal within line-of-effect and within 20 squares. Both conditions are checked at the end of my turn.

Damakos
    Minor: Allows sunlight to glint off of epic horns
    Move: ...
    Standard: ...
    Huren
    Minor: Looks badass
    Standard: ...
    Move: ...
    *spit-take snerk guffaw chortle*

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, doesn't need to be supported by a solid surface (i.e. ignores difficult terrain, can cross small gaps, etc.), but not necessarily able to float upwards 20 feet

*spit-take snerk guffaw chortle*
    In this action economy, we cannot afford to waste minor actions.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-31 at 12:31 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

For reloading, knife in teeth?

Edit: In any case, he had an unused minor action (looking bad-ass is a free action), so that should have been sufficient for the reload.
    Last edited by Shular; 2012-08-31 at 01:33 PM.
    Throk, Half-orc fighter
    Huren, Githzrai rogue
    Neener, Pixie Hexblade

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

For reloading, knife in teeth?

Edit: In any case, he had an unused minor action (looking bad-ass is a free action), so that should have been sufficient for the reload.
    Knife in teeth works just fine for me.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, doesn't need to be supported by a solid surface (i.e. ignores difficult terrain, can cross small gaps, etc.), but not necessarily able to float upwards 20 feet
    Here's my reasoning. You can generate the effect of a power more than 5 feet off the ground. If that weren't true, flying creatures would rule the world with an iron talon, since attacks could only target creatures on land. If I generate the effect of call spirit companion sixty feet up in the air, it doesn't fall. How could it? -- it doesn't have material presence for gravity to affect, a point represented in the game by "doesn't need to be supported". Now, obviously the moveable conjuration isn't limited to moving in a single plane, because conjurations can be moved up and down hills. So in addition to starting higher than ground level and not falling, they can be moved three-dimensionally (still without falling).

I'm not attached to the idea of a rock that floats 20' up; if you want Crystal to be landbound, that's fine. You're a generous and reasonable GM, it's not at all central to Eveve's character, and anyway, the position that spirit companions represented by objects or terrestrial beings can't freaking fly totally makes sense. I'm just saying that it is a houserule, and it might not make sense under other conditions. If the conjuration looks like an eagle (e.g. for the standard Watcher shaman) or a blade of force created by the mind of a brilliant and well-trained wizard (e.g. mordenkainen's sword) ... that's very questionable territory. The watcher's SC should abide by the same rules as those of other shamans, I'd think, especially since there's no mention of any difference in the books. But for me, that means that all SCs and all other conjurations can be moved in 3D, not that an eagle-shaped SC is landbound.

I'm actually kinda sorry to open this can of worms. It affects more than Eveve -- there's Ja'qar in the Terenuri game, and here in Athas, we've got a wizard who can make a spongy ball of fire that can hang in the sky if that's where he wants it to be. I guess it's not exactly a bad thing that we're getting the discussion out of the way before it turns into a character-life-or-death situation, but ... geez, you've got enough to work on right now anyway. Throwing this puzzle into your lap doesn't help.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-08-31 at 03:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads...man_Basics.pdf

Bottom of page 3.

Can move vertically.

I have no clue how to represent this in a 2d spreadsheet, so please limit it for my sanity's sake. To be fair, I will not unleash flying critters that you cannot reach.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there a way to make it a filter, or a translucent object? Not sure if that would let an object "under" it be seen, or if pasting just deletes the previous object.

Another solution, when it's above another character, color the square to represent it, and note the height in the chart.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Coloring the cell would probably be the best actually.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

That's an excellent idea.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Arillius -- you might not want to stop next to the lasher. He's an obstacle, not an ally. You'll take 3 damage from being there at the end of your turn.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

And I think, if it's possible to ready an action to grant Calder an MBA when he is adjacent to an enemy, that would be a nice way to use the standard. I will tell you, right now he will be attacking spear 2, because that's the only one he can reach.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

And I think, if it's possible to ready an action to grant Calder an MBA when he is adjacent to an enemy, that would be a nice way to use the standard. I will tell you, right now he will be attacking spear 2, because that's the only one he can reach.
    So like, ready an action to Direct the Strike when Calder is in melee range of enemy?

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. That is how someone familiar with Warlords would phrase it.

Also, as always, I'm loving the art.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim
    Damakos
    Minor: Allows sunlight to glint off of epic horns
    The horns are indeed immaculate. Polished daily to get that shimmering sparkle every Tiefling is looking for these days.

Is there a way to make it a filter, or a translucent object? Not sure if that would let an object "under" it be seen, or if pasting just deletes the previous object.

Another solution, when it's above another character, color the square to represent it, and note the height in the chart.
    You can make one in Photoshop.

Last edited by Felhammer; 2012-08-31 at 06:30 PM.
    Currently DMing:
    - Heroes of Songwillow: IC OOC Doc

Currently Playing:
    - Damakos ~ IC OOC
    - Goattracker ~ IC OOC
    - Abea ~ IC OOC
    - Nathaniel ~ IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    The horns are indeed immaculate. Polished daily to get that shimmering sparkle every Tiefling is looking for these days.

You can make one in Photoshop.

Making a translucent image is easy. GoogleDocs just won't let you overlay 2 images.

And it looks like it's my turn! YAY!

edit: You guys know you can CHAT in the battlemap, right? If you click the little arrow in the upper right corner?
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-08-31 at 06:36 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone has a magic little buddy to go on adventures with. What do I have? A dumb book? I Knew should have picked up a familiar.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:
    - Damakos ~ IC OOC
    - Goattracker ~ IC OOC
    - Abea ~ IC OOC
    - Nathaniel ~ IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Making a translucent image is easy. GoogleDocs just won't let you overlay 2 images.

And it looks like it's my turn! YAY!

edit: You guys know you can CHAT in the battlemap, right? If you click the little arrow in the upper right corner?
    No you can. Just upload the image to the docks. It won't be embedded into the sheet but it will lay over top of it.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:
    - Damakos ~ IC OOC
    - Goattracker ~ IC OOC
    - Abea ~ IC OOC
    - Nathaniel ~ IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you counting the dead body parts Calder has? His shield is a Baazrag skull, and has Dune reaper arms as trident forks. Not sure where his waterskin came from, but I'm leaning towards a Mul liver.

And besides, you have those horns. And a tail. Don't forget the tail.

Guide for starting 4E.
    4E Hybrid Chart.
    My 4E Homebrew.
    DM Challenge

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, good first turn for the elves!

Crit on Calder and a soft crit on Damakos.

PC Group 2 can now go - Calder, Eveve, Lazam

DM

RP Characters
    Tombak - Halfling Thief