New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Ages of Athas

Huren

Huren packs up what little gear he's taken out, and shoulders his pack. He shrugs at Alderis's comment. "Most likely someone had a particularly 'loud' dream. After all," he says then finishes the thought via mental projection, <it's not like telepathy's a rare thing.>
    Last edited by Shular; 2014-05-17 at 07:07 AM.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Alpha -- [The Cistern]

Quote Originally Posted by Wdwune View Post
    "It appears we all had the same dream about water abundance. Am I right? I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but it's probably the work of someone sending a message to us," he rises his head to looks at the darknening sky upwards. "I don't know much about obscure arts like Damakos' magic, but I do know that in order for someone using The Way to do something like that at five targets or so, it has to be channeled through a very powerful manifester."
    "Huh. S'pose that could be," the pack leader muses. "I figured it was spirit-talk, maybe a ghost of this Aravek lug. Sometime when old Whiskers walks through my head, I get a feelin' like I could see something if I were just asleep enough."

Alpha rouses Damakos and Calder when he deems them sufficiently rested. "Le's get on with our sprightly little hike back, boys. Plenty of ground to cover tonight."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

Calder - [Cistern of Aravek]

Unhappy to be woken, Calder calls his armor to his person, strapping everything together tightly. "You're right, there is. Which is why I'll be riding in style. Er, well, more than how we got here, anyway." The tattooed man walks over to the erdlu he had claimed as his, and mounts it, ready to have it run him back in the cooler night air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

DAMAKOS

Shaken by the night's happenings, the tiefling says little in camp. He climbs atop one of the erdlu but with much less grace than Calder. After a few painful moments spent intuiting a system to guide the beast, Damakos nods to his companions and heads off for the horizon.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Road to Tyr]

With remnants of the water dream still lingering in their heads, the party sets out across the desert. The sun hugs the edge of the horizon, allowing a precious hour of light before dipping into darkness. The erdlu do not cooperate at first, squawking loudly as their riders attempt to wrangle them across the unforgiving landscape.

Hours pass uneventfully, and the party soon finds themselves bathed in moonlight. Using the now-familiar landmarks, the group is able to move with relative ease across the desert and soon find themselves at the gates of Tyr. The gates are closed and locked and a pair of guards stand nearby. Unless the party can convince the guards to allow them entry, they will likely have to camp outside the safety of the city-state's walls.

The guards each have spear and shield, and appear not to notice the group's arrival. Their eyes scan the terrain, keeping careful watch for any threats.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Alpha -- [outside Tyr]

"We made good time," mumbles the dwarf. "Looks like we'll need to bundle up against the cold fer a bit, seein' as we're not making heat walking now." As he pulls a hide coat from his pack ("coat" being a generous term for this stained, torn and smelly wreckage of a piece of outerwear), Alpha adds, "Can't just get cuddly with my lirr. Them guards start payin' attention, they're liable to shoot anything that ain't shaped like a people. Well, more likely to shoot non-people." He shoos the creatures off into the spirit world.

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

DAMAKOS

The magic user struggles to maintain his balance atop the beast. He is not used to riding in this way... Palanquins, now that is a stately way to ride. Yes, palanquins should be the next thing the group steals... The image of the party carrying Damakos around brings a delightful smile to the wizard's face. Noticing the cold, the tiefling bunches his thawb closer together, using his belt as a fastener. He also pulls his agal down, in an effort to trap more of the heat emanating from the top of his skull. As the group nears the city gate and Alpha speaks his mind, Damakos responds, "We should not send Calder forward. Goodness knows what two bored guards would do if they saw the vague shape of an elf walking up to them." Looking to his other allies, he sees a shifty green man, an uncouth dwarf-person-thing, the elf, himself (a terrifying devil-like man) and... Alderis. The tiefling smiles inwardly, apparently this newcomer will indeed become useful... "Alderis, being the most normal looking man in the group, I suggest you ride up and herald the arrival of the party. They will not kill a human on sight, the way they would kill any one else here assembled."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2014-05-31 at 11:27 PM.
    DMing:

8. - Top - End - #758
    Troll in the Playground

Calder - [Road to Tyr]

Feeling the cold about himself, Calder shivers. His apparel better for the heat of the day, it does little to cover him now. Hearing Damakos disregard him out of hand draws the half-elf's ire, but the end of the suggestion is something that the tattooed gladiator appreciates. Calder finds miniature dune, and deliberately whirls his arms in a slow, backwards windmill fashion. His telekinetic energies drip from his fingers as he pushes more and more sand uphill.

Once he had dug out a sufficient burrow, he sits himself down, and triggers a landslide, covering his body up to his head with the loose sand, still warm from the heat of the day sun.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Gates of Tyr]

The guards pay special attention to the suddenly shifting sands in the distance, but chalk it up to some small, pathetic creature burrowing in for the night. They stand solid at the gates, keeping watch for danger. The gates remain closed for another 20 minutes or so, when another pair of guards come out to relieve the existing guard. Those who have been keeping tabs would note that they are likely on a 4 hour rotation, and that sunrise will come at the next shift change.

A low thunderclap rolls in the distance.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

10. - Top - End - #760
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alderis - Gates of Tyr

At first Alderis considered Alpha's offer of approaching the beasts to protect himself from the cold, but then he heard Damakos' suggestion. Maybe it was the increasing cold, but for some reason trying to convince the guards to let the party in was a better idea than camping outdoors. "Right," he replies Damakos with a shrug. "I will be back as soon as..." he stops as he hears the thunderclap. "Nevermind. I'll send you a sign."

He approaches the guard with caution, but no hostile intentions. "Greetings," he says rising his arms to show he's unarmed. "My name is Alderis Kashtar, citizen ot Tyr, and I am speaking in the name of a small scouting group that is now returning from a dangerous mission. I formally request permission so that the seven of us can return Tyr unharmed."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Alright, let's give it a try with a simple Diplomacy check, but I'll use an augmented Adept's Insight boost of (1d4+1)[4]:

Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[19] 23 total with Adept's Insight.

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-06-03 at 04:05 PM.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Gates of Tyr]

The guard looks skeptically at Alderis as he approaches the gates. He and his companion both shift into a more defensive posture, brandishing halberds in preparation.

"Halt!" the guard shouts, "State your business!" Alderis complies, and after telling his story the guard shakes his head in response. "Likely a forward scout for an invading army. I see no scouting party. If you are true, why do your companions hide?"

The second guard scans the area more closely, then shakes his head, indicating he sees nothing. The low roll of thunder comes a second time, and the guards look at each other. "Wouldn't be wise to get caught out here, on the wrong side of the gate, even if you are on an important mission. We can't just let anyone in after dark." the first guard says.

"What mission are you on, eh?" the second guard offers, "Who for? We can send a message in and if they vouch for you, we'll see about letting you in."

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

12. - Top - End - #762

Alderis - Gates of Tyr

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    "Halt!" the guard shouts, "State your business!" Alderis complies, and after telling his story the guard shakes his head in response. "Likely a forward scout for an invading army. I see no scouting party. If you are true, why do your companions hide?"

"Hide?"
    Alderis replies with a desbeileving smile, and momentarily looking back. "Ah, yes, now I understand! See, this is our first mission outside the gates of Tyr, so we don't know the exact protocol. My companions are not technically 'hiding', but camping many miles away, out of any threatening range. You know, for protection; we are just a small bunch of harmless scouts."

He sighs in resignation before adding. "I could call them here if you wish, so they can confirm my words."

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    "Wouldn't be wise to get caught out here, on the wrong side of the gate, even if you are on an important mission. We can't just let anyone in after dark." the first guard says.

"What mission are you on, eh?" the second guard offers, "Who for? We can send a message in and if they vouch for you, we'll see about letting you in."

"I understand you're doing your job,"
    Alderis replies, scratching his head, "but unfortunately I can't tell the details of the mission. However, I can contact our employers so they can send a representative here and thus confirm we're not the invaders you think we are."

Show

Bluff: (1d20+12)[29]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[28]

Plus an Insight check to read his intentions and try to guess any way I can convince them to let us in without any more complications.
    · Insight: (1d20+8)[23]

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

Alderis - [Gates of Tyr]

Nodding, the guard says, "You do your thing. And do it quickly. Something's coming and we're not going to stand out here and get slaughtered." The second guard nods the same, and takes a step back toward the gates, eyes wide. "You might want your friends to come in a bit closer, unless they like dying."

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

14. - Top - End - #764

Alderis - Gates of Tyr

Alderis nods. "I will call my companions, but not the other thing, since it will take longer than expected and, apparently, time is a valuable thing right now. I will be back with my companions, but please, let us enter the city: No one is fool enough to make a frontal assault against my home, the mighty city of Tyr, don't you agree?"

With those words he turns and heads back to the place where his companions are waiting. "The guards wants to see the full size of the party before letting us go inside," he reports with an uncomfortable look on his face. "We should hurry. I don't like the feeling of that thundering noise..."

Once the party is ready, Alderis leads the way back to the gates, and introduces the party to the guards, without telling names unless requested.

Show

If the guards still refuse to let us in, and if we have 10 minutes or so, I will cast Sending to send a message to Adnus with the following words: "Mission completed, ready to report. Guards won't let us enter Tyr, assistance required. Something noisy perceived. Dangerous to stay outside."

Arcana check for Sending: (1d20+11)[14] (100 miles, I think that would be enough)
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-06-10 at 12:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Alpha -- [Gates of Tyr]

Alpha hops up from the mat he was huddled on, grabs his equipment and follows Alderis. "No harm in moving to shelter, if shelter can be had. This isn't some critter trying to scare us into fleeing toward an ambush, we can be sure enough of that." With Alderis handling the gate guards, Alpha stays alert for shapes in the darkness -- and for the sounds and disturbances that would hint at the arrival of something he can't see. The dwarf stands ready to recall his pack at a moment's notice.

Show
    Alpha starts making active Perception checks and readies an action to summon Whiskers if he senses dangerous creatures ... other than the party and the guards, of course. His scan of the area with low-light vision is approximately this effective: (d20+11)[15]
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-06-10 at 05:32 AM.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

While he's suspicious, Huren doesn't want to risk whatever might be coming, and so reveals himself and moves towards the city gate, looking out for possible ambushes.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

Calder - [Gates of Tyr]

His rest shorter than he'd have preferred, Calder stands quickly, the sand spraying in all directions thanks to a liberal application of telekinesis. Sinking slightly into the loose sand as he walks over the dune, he stands beside the mostly feral dwarf, awaiting further developments. Inside was where he wanted to be. In there at least, he could recognize threats a bit easier.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Gates of Tyr]

Standing outside the city gate, with the guards looking ever fearful, Alderis feels a small prickle on his subconscious.

Spoiler: Alderis
    Show
    Did you retrieve the device? Meet me at once. Hroga is on his way

Suddenly, large knock echoes against the inside of the gate. One of the guards peeks in, "Hroga, innit? You with them?" the guard thumbs in Alderis' direction. Hroga simply nods, and the guard sighs, shaking his head.

"Alright, head in. Just in time, eh?" he says, just as the second guard shouts, "Greystars! Close it, close it!"
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-06-14 at 09:20 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

DAMAKOS

Walking up in silence with his companions, Damakos pulls his headwear down, in an effort to minimize his devil-like features. He watches with unease as the guards discuss the party. How did he wind up with such an odd assortment of rogues? He missed the simpler days of being the Wanderer's apprentice. Why must everything be so complicated now? His is roused from his thoughts by shouting. The mage casts his head about to see what the guard is yelling about.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+2)[18]
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2014-06-15 at 12:34 AM.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #770

Alderis

With a slight hand wave, Alderis greets Hroga. Once everyone is gathered, he says: "Alright, let's go. Hroga here will escort us to the manor." He intentionally omits Adnus' name as a cautious measure. However, once he hear the word Greystars from the guard's mouth, he intuitively focuses his psionic sight sense to see if, in fact, there are elves approaching. "Looks like we're running out of time..."

Show

Manifest Sensing Eye targetting a point located 5 squares in the direction of the gate, and 5 squares up, to see if I can see the elves from "above".
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-06-16 at 09:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Gates of Tyr]

Alderis is able to see the source of the thunder - dozens of elves running across the desert, purposefully pounding hard to herald their arrival. Their sprinting creates a large dust cloud that looks as if it could swallow the city. The guards quickly usher everyone inside and shut the gates, shouting orders to other guards who relay, in turn, to the other towers. With the gates shut and barred, the guards reassure the party that they are safe within the Tyr. On the battlements, guards ready spears and crossbows on the off chance they are needed.

Hroga ushers the party back toward Adnus' estates, his silent nature ensuring that the party has no opportunities to ask questions. When they arrive at the mansion, Hroga opens the door and the party is escorted inside. Adnus is there, waiting for them.

"So, where is my wind trap?" he asks, hands outstretched.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

22. - Top - End - #772

Alderis - Adnus' mansion

"The artifact is not something that you can carry with you, so it's not with us," Alderis replies with a shrug. "However, the directions given to us seemed truly accurate. We found the place well guarded, but we managed to get through the trap's defenses. Unfortunately, the trap is not fully functional..."

He lets Adnus digest the words before adding: "...yet."

"We're in need of an extra device to make sure the artifact works properly. And that's what brought us back to Tyr in the first place... Well, that and to make our first briefing. We have an idea of this device's location, and we'd like to start as soon as possible, but apparently, there's an army of Greystars at the city gates..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Alpha -- House Dyan

Alpha steps into the room, late in arriving because he'd taken the erdlu to be stabled for the night. He adds, "Got through most of the defenses. We thought to leave the nastiest critter there, ward off anybody who just wanders by. So don't send any untrained grunts up there." He accepts a towel from Hroga and starts wiping dust off his face and neck.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

DAMAKOS

The tiefling stands near Alderis but allows the human to speak, as he seems much more accustomed to hobnobing than Damakos. Instead, the wizard's mind drifted to the nascent pull that directed him to his true goal, his true purpose, his... Destiny. He could feel the shards pulsating, practically begging to be found... This side geas must be ended quickly, or lest their opportunity to acquire the shards would dwindle, especially that singular shard that seemed to be ever moving farther and farther into the bleak, untamed wilds beyond the so-called civilized lands.
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tyr - House Dyan]

"Another device?" Adnus asks incredulously, "I do not understand. You say that you found the wind trap, but it is not there? Or it does not work? Give it to me, I have the best artificers in Tyr. They fix it, you get paid, we don't worry about the Greystars." He reasserts his open palm, expecting Alderis or another to physically hand him something, anything.

Adnus looks frustrated, and confused. The most insightful of you get the impression that he feels you have squandered his investment and wasted his time. "What is it that you need? I must have that device!" His patience wears thin, though he seems willing to give you one last chance.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-07-01 at 01:05 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

Calder - [Tyr - House Dyan]

With arms crossed, the tattooed ex-gladiator breathes a sigh of frustration. "Would you ask us to hand you the Arena? We can tell you where it is, but how do you expect to hold something you could park a caravan in? It's not a thing. It's a place. And it ain't all there. Damakos here reckons he can find the rest, we just need some more time, and you'll get what you want."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #777

Alderis - House Dyan

Alderis replies with a genuine, kind smile before adding: "As Calder said, the windtrap is not precisely a handheld object but a static place. And yes, my friend, you heard well; we're in need of another device to properly activate it." He joins his palms together. "I know you want the artifact desperately, and I understand your reasons. It is true we could just tell you the coordinates, receive our payment, leave and forget about the matter. But this, free water for everyone, is not a minor use, and we're really glad to help you achieve that goal." He pauses for a second, and approaches Adnus with a compassionate glance, lowering his voice: "I know you're in a hurry, my friend, but we need to be careful this time. Subtlety is our best friend when our actions can change the course of the lives of all athasians! We can't afford any mistakes, I hope you understand."

Spoiler: Send Thoughts (with Mindlink): Adnus only
    Show

<Please, do not despair, my friend. I will Send you one report daily. Will that make you feel better?>

Show

Diplomacy to calm Adnus down: (1d20+10)[24]

Bluff to conceal the fact I'm sending my thoughts to Adnus: (1d20+12)[27]

...And an Insight check to read Adnus' true intentions, hoping that the Mindlink helps somehow. Does he really want water for everyone?: (1d20+8)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Alpha -- [Tyr - House Dyan]

Alpha adds, "We got an inkling we know the right folks to talk to a'ready, see, not too far off here in Tyr. But the right folks don't want to talk to just ennybuddy, so it's simplest we keep on the job ourselves. Could start tonight, no need to wait for the day's burning to start walking."

In a telepathic aside, Alpha suggests, <Adnus would likely be more gracious if we offer what we DO know. From his standpoint, so far it looks like we're walking away without delivering anything.>

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tyr - House Dyan]

The leader of House Dyan walks down the hallway, nodding in understanding as Alderis continues his explanation. He arrives at the room the party had previously stayed in, and Hroga quickly darts in front to open the doors. "Yes, yes. Just so . . . my dream is free water for all people, regardless of the circumstances of their birth. This is what I have paid you for. And now, there are Greystars at the gates . . ." Adnus shakes his head, trying to clear it of all thoughts. He walks into the chambers and plucks a plum out of a fruit bowl.

"Show Hroga what you have gathered thus far, and tell him what else you need." He says, taking a bite of the plum. Some juices dribble down his chin and he continues, "Hroga will make sure that you are able to get where you need to go, unmolested, so long as you are within Tyr's walls. Out there, I will not protect you." Adnus says the last deliberately, and you get the impression that while he might have the ability to protect you, he is choosing to let you go on your own.

Adnus walks away, his hands behind his back, his movements slow and deliberate. "You have 48 hours. If I do not have what I need by then . . . " he trails off, as the rest of the bowl of fruit suddenly wilts and rots, all life drained from it in an instant.

The door shuts, and Hroga stands at attention, waiting instructions from the party.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

30. - Top - End - #780

Alderis

Alderis felt a brief chilling with Adnus' awesome display of psionic ability by manipulating the moisture of the fruit, but even so, he refused to be intimidated and mantained his resolved smile. "Forty-eight hours will be," he concludes with a respectful bow.

He waits for everyone to be ready, and then he turns to all, Hroga included. "I hope you have a shopping list," he says with an open, inviting hand. "Our first step? The Elven Market."

Spoiler: Thought Projection: PCs only
    Show

<Unless you want going somewhere else to speed things up.>
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-07-09 at 11:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show