New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Ages of Athas

Eveve

Eveve mutters in Dwarven, "If half my allies were feeding the hungry earth with their lifeblood, I'd consider a retreat. These bowmen show their lack of dwarven sagacity by thinking they have dwarven vitality."

Since her fellow caravanners seem to have the spear-wielders well in hand, Eveve hurries to cut off the archers. Her wail seems to precede her while her rock-spirit drifts along behind. Once Eveve has slipped between two foes, the keening cry erupts with a loud, distorted burst, shaking the bowmen and making them attend to the threat at hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two move actions to walk from Q13 to to R5 without provoking. Crystal likewise moves twice, from S12 to T6, provoking an OA from Spear1. Spear1 would take -2 to hit for Calder's mark, and if he does hit, Calder can mindspike him, so I'm guessing he won't bother attempting the OA. When Eveve arrives, she'll spend 1 power point to mark Archer1 and Archer2 with a single use of battlemind's demand.

Against Archers 1 and 2, Eveve can follow a shift, OA a move (using augmented twisted eye for better accuracy), immediate-react to being hit herself, or mindspike if someone else is hit. Crystal is just barely in range to let Damakos RBA Archer3 if he moves without shifting.

H'Ghimpel'la'sahkthn waves its feelers toward the fallen, bleeding and partially cooked elves. It almost seems ready to show some initiative and go have a bite to eat (a vengeful bite, considering its history), but cowardice and inertia win out in the end, and it stays where it is.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-09-11 at 11:28 AM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam pulls the arrow from his shoulder and growls something rudely under his breath (probably about the elf's mother). Taking the arrow and making a grand gesture to point it at his attacker, Lazam shouts as he drops the arrow "The storm will come soon enough, elf." Gracefully running around the side of Calder, Lazam slides next to Calder and slices at the elf before them with liquid-like grace. Lazam seems determined to aid the more front-line warriors....perhaps to provide support or because he doesn't trust them yet to handle it alone.

In comical fashion, the storm shows a remarkable intelligence as it seemingly notices it is alone and swirls into motion swiftly to follow his creator - carelessly dripping water along the way on burning hot sand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to U12, Dusty to U13 (changing who gets +1 def bonus). Energizing Strike against Elf Spear 2. Hit: (1d20+12)[25] versus AC (+2 for flank). Damage: (1d4+5)[7]. If it hits, Calder receives 4 temporary hitpoints.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

In his element, surrounded by allies and enemies, Calder snarls like a feral animal, while stretching out with his mind to attack his elven foes will simultaneously striking out with his trident.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor: Curse Elf Spear 1 (1d6)[2]
    Minor: Battlemind's Deman Elf Spear 2
    Standard: Eldritch Strike Elf Spear 1
    Target: One creature
    Attack: (1d20+9)[25] vs AC
    Hit: (1d8)[5] modifier damage, and you slide the target 1 square. S12

Roommate decided to change Internet providers without warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Enemy Group 2

It is at this point that Huren notices the rest of the party has slowly been moving away from the caravan. In the distance, another horn sounds. The two bodies that lay fresh at Huren's feet begin to sink slowly into the sand, as if the desert was reclaiming its people.

Without warning, another blast of necrotic energy bursts out, knocking the slaves to the ground, dead. Raheil and Huren are each blasted back several feet, and two more of the Elven Skirmishers appear at the back of the caravan, apparently having snuck inside. They appear to be holding a black stone box of sorts, supported on two long wooden poles.

As soon as the Skirmishers hit the ground, they take off running at full speed, away from the caravan and back toward the seclusion of the dunes. The other elves wheel around, whooping and cawing, also retreating, while the archers cover their exit with a hail of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Each elf double moves away at their speed, leaving the battlefield. Combat over!

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

After directing a couple swats at the fleeing elves' buttocks,

Spoiler
    Show
    twisted eye OA on one and a shamanically-guided magic missile at another ... yeah, yeah, I'm a showoff, I know

and glancing at Gimp to make sure it's okay, Eveve hurries to where the slaves lie bleeding. Perhaps her healing arts can save a life or two, as well as indebting House Stel to her for a reasonable portion of the poor wretches' sale price.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-09-13 at 03:50 PM.

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands - Road to Crossroads]

Raheil picks himself up off of the ground, looking really no worse for wear. He snarls as he looks about, realizing that there are no standing slaves for him to bark at. Instead, he glares menacingly at the two Thri-Kreen, who also appear to be stunned by the blast of energy. The mekillots, however, appear completely unfazed.

Eveve finds the slightest pulse of life within each of the slaves to which she attends, and within a minute or so she has those on her side of the cart stabilized. Those on the other side, with Raheil, are not so lucky. He kicks at the broken bodies in frustration, then climbs into the caravan. "HEALER" he yells toward nobody in particular. "HEALER YOU BETTER GET IN HERE NOW."
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-09-13 at 04:49 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

Damakos dusts himself off and looks around. Seeing the mangled bandit corpses, the Tiefling shakes his head and says (to no one in particular), "Such stupid, stupid Elves. Bit off more than they could chew. They paid for their miscalculation with their lives. Hopefully, the other two will run away and re-think their lives."

Damakos will then aid those in need - be it removing the possessions off the bandits, neatly laying the non-bandits to rest or helping triage the injured.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2012-09-13 at 05:49 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren also picks himself up, and moves around to the back of the caravan to check inside to see what Raheil is shouting about. He keeps his dagger in his hand, and mentally decides not to mention that he saw the black box being stolen, until he gets more information.

Spoiler
    Show
    While technically the encounter is over, he maintains his stance (if you'll allow), just in case Raheil attacks him
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam turns away from the running elves and leaves them - even though he had a pain in his shoulder that burned for revenge, he knew it was best to let them live. Not everyone fought for malicious reasons....but for what reasons these elves came is a larger question. What was that box?

Turning to his miniaturized storm cloud, Lazam looked sad as it seemed to calm down and fade away into a fine mist. With a deep breath and a reassuring sigh, Lazam walks towards the caravan and begins to head toward where the black box was taken. He knew asking Raheil would be pointless so at this point he planned on just looking on his own accord.

Too bad Raheil didn't die....and they'd probably turn on me if I took him in such a cold manner now.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

"Oh? Others are injured within?" With an appearance of detached calm, Eveve comes around the back of the fortress-wagon and climbs up inside.

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Huren's glance inside the armored caravan reveals Raheil holding Submatron Ixesti's head in his lap, dabbing at the huge gash across her forehead with a ripped piece of cloth from what appears to be someone's shirt. "HEALER" he bellows again, before shooting a glare towards Huren. Just then, Eveve pops into view, and Raheil does his best to get out of the way while still supporting his master's head.

Inside the caravan, Huren and Eveve notice several long crates with House Stel markings on them, a few smaller cloth-wrapped bundles, and what appears to be a heavily damaged crate easily large enough to house the box that the elves ran off with.

A few apples also roll around on the floor of the caravan, one dropping to the sand at Huren's feet.

Meanwhile, Lazam's scan of the area reveals the elves making haste, disappearing into the dust-clouded horizon just as rapidly as they attacked. He sees a guard making his way back to the caravan on foot - his crodlu laying in a pool of black blood on the sand some 50 yards behind him.

Damakos, on the other hand, finds a pair of nice obsidian short swords and two long ash spears with obsidian tips, as well as a dozen arrows poking up out of the sand. Additionally, he is able to tend to some of the wounded, following Eveve's instructions to help the slaves as best he can.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

The dwarf smirks under her mask. "Good thing I held back my best magics. Just a touch, now --"

Squeezing her eyes shut, Eveve slaps her hand over the ribs of the House Stel leader. The Submatron jerks and gasps, her eyes momentarily wide open and wild with panic, but much fuller with life than a moment before.

Eveve continues, "My filthy mercenary hands were in contact with slaves, and we wouldn't want the Submatron defiled so." She emphasizes the word defiled, a term that makes most Athasians shudder. She backs away, bowing deeply as if in awed respect but still smirking. Exiting the greatwagon, Eveve returns to aiding slaves and soldiers.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-09-14 at 01:12 PM.

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Raheil bristles with rage at first, then realizes that Eveve has helped his master. "That's enough, you've earned your keep. So have you." he says, with a nod in Huren's direction. Submatron Ixesti slumps back against the floor, her servants propping up pillows under her head and giving her fresh water.

"Let me know when the slaves are fit for walking. We need to move as soon as possible." Raheil barks toward nobody in particular. He fidgets with his whip before leaving it at his belt, and stalks out of the caravan back into the harsh sunlight, seemingly unaware of the ripe, fresh fruit that has spilled out on to the sand.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Striking out at the feeling elves with his trident, he fails to stop any from fleeing. He twirls his weapon, preparing to hurl it, but decides against it, instead using it to dig for corpses, lifting anything he can find from the corpses with his mind and placing them in his pack. Strapping his shield and pack to his back again. His cloth robes are very torn, and his gladiator armor is obvious underneath. He rips his robe off dramatically, and uses it to help patch up his wounds.

He makes his way over to one that aided him in combat. "You're the one that was healing me, right? Much appreciated Lazam. Never run into one of your kind with such abilities. Glad you've got my back."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Van the Scarred

The warlord gives Calder a knowing look, saying quietly to him, "I'm going after them. Hopefully I can recover what was stolen. I will meet up with you if I can. If I cannot, I will send a message."

With that, he clasps arms with the man and heads off at a casual run, seemingly at home among the wastes and wilds of the desert dunes.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

The Tiefling watches the proud Warlord run off into the sunset. His only thought, "What a foolishly brave man."
    DMing:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam watches as the man runs off, wondering if elves like the taste of flesh since he clearly has no chance. Turning to Calder, Lazam nods and responds "It's quite alright, having your back means I'm not infront." With a sly wink and a warm smile, Lazam turns to the resting Submatron Ixesti and asks calmly "So....what was the box?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Should I be rolling Diplomacy? I will just in case: (1d20+5)[24]
    PbP Game List:

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

The Tiefling takes the obsidian short swords in hand. They were heavier than he expected. Their blades were sharp, obviously their previous owner lavished much love upon them. He gathered the weapons up and decided it best to give these to the Submatron's men, for surly they could find a buyer willing to pay handsomely for such fine-quality weapons.
    DMing:

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands - Road to the Crossroads]

With a sneer, Submatron Ixesti looks down her nose (which is awkward from her supine position) at Lazam. "As if you don't know, halfling. I am sure one such as you sensed it the moment you approached the caravan." With an exasperated sigh, she rises to her elbows, propped up somewhat by her servants.

"It is a splinter of the Heartwood - a gift for King Hamanu. And now it is lost to the elves, who likely have no concept of what they have stolen."

Snarling, she turns to Raheil. "We must not waste anymore time. Dispatch two riders to track down the elves while we make for Crossroads." With that, she makes a shooing gesture with her hands.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

"All are ready to walk now, Rahiel, and the mekillots' harnesses were not notably damaged by the burst of death-magic." Eveve's voice sounds low and mechanical, as though she has lost herself deep within the role of the weary traveler.

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

"Heartwood...." Lazam seems almost lost in a trance at the mention of it. And to think, I almost delivered that to the Sorcerer King!

As if waking up, Lazam blinks a few times than smiles softly. "I assure you, I had no idea that it was here Submatron....and I wager we could go and get it. After all, we did just save your caravan from those terribly lost elves - they didn't prove to be much trouble."
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-09-17 at 10:06 PM.
    PbP Game List:

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren raises an eyebrow at the Submatron's comment. He directs a mental comment to Lazam and Eveve. "The entire purpose of the attack was getting the splinter," he sends. "Surely they have a 'concept' of what they've stolen."
    Last edited by Shular; 2012-09-18 at 01:43 AM. Reason: grammar
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

Eveve walks toward Huren and does a pratfall at his feet. She slips the fallen fruit into a pocket while she's getting to her knees. Then, under the guise of asking for a hand up, she murmurs to Huren, "I read the situation the same as you. No coincidence."

In the confusion created by Rahiel's resumption of command, Eveve wanders over to Damakos. She had seen the wizard fighting intelligently in defense of the caravan, careful not to endanger innocents or allies while he helped those who live by the sword die by the sword ... or by the flesh-hungry smoking flame. Eveve predicts from Damakos' lack of armor that he may have need for a spot of magical healing if his participation in battle continues, and so she passes along the fruit to him wordlessly, trusting he will recognize its special value.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-09-18 at 03:53 PM.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands - Crossroads]

Submatron Ixesti raises her eyebrows at the halfling's question. At the same time, one of her servants walks over to where the apples sit and puts them back in the bag (except for the one that Eveve grabbed).

"I understand and appreciate your desire to chase after the splinter. It was quite . . . expensive . . . to obtain, and I would not like to have lost it so easily. Unfortunately, the caravan cannot chase after, and we cannot afford to sit here idly while others chase after. I note that one of your companions has opted to chase anyway - did he communicate what his plans were before he left?"

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

"My. Lazam, are you suggesting we should track those speedy elves through the wasteland ourselves? Surely we can best them in combat, but we may not be able to catch up. My legs cover little ground compared to those lanky, skipping wretches. And you might not fare so well without a large enough complement of watchers-of-backs." Eveve's voice conveys mild dismay at the idea, but her eyes say otherwise when no one loyal to House Stel can see her face. Her eyes seem to twinkle at the challenge -- and was that a wink?

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

"I don't believe he stated anything....but clearly he was foolish to travel alone. If anything, our own hunt will increase the odds of retrieval." Lazam turns to the others of the party and plainly asks, "So, we've spilled blood....will you risk more to retrieve the splinter?" Lazam seems intent on heading out into the wasteland and unwavering in his question.
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-09-20 at 12:13 PM.
    PbP Game List:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren frowns at the direction the conversation has taken. Bad enough he'd left a familiar city to go to an unfamiliar one still ruled by a tyrant, but now they're discussing going INTO the desert, where his survival skill were virtually non-existant.

"Perhaps I speak only for myself," he says, "but I'm not really certain why we should care if the elves have the splinter if the submatron doesn't. I'll need more motivation than 'for the fun of it' to risk my life in the desert. I have certain skills that I believe would be very useful to your 'quest', but desert survival isn't among them."
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

The Vistani lady tilts her head, surprised by Huren's angle of thought. "Money is the motivation, naturally. Money, or power, or both. We have travelled with House Stel, but we are not bound to them. If we recover the Splinter when Stel would discard it, it is ours, ours to sell to whoever we see fit -- and I expect you know as well as any, just how many cults and revolutionaries and Houses and magicians would love to possess a piece of an artifact.

I'm sure you know me not, Huren, but if ever you would trust someone to see you safely through a wilderness and back to civilization, I would be a good choice. I've learned well from my decades of wandering.
    "

Eveve seems to have more to say, but is having trouble putting it into words.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-09-20 at 04:48 PM.

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

"If money is the issue ... we might be able to encourage you to stay with us. At least until Crossroads. Most of our own guard were killed by the elves and if you leave, we have but me and a handful of slaves. Stay on with us until Crossroads when we can pick up some others."

Raheil appears confused at having spoken so much, and so kindly. Nevertheless, his words appear genuine, and his hands don't even twitch for the whip at his hip.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren nods at Eveve's and, surprisingly, Raheil's words, but his alien eyes seem distracted as he considers.

"How far are the crossroads?" he asks. "Perhaps it would be better to go with the caravan to that point and use the extra pay to equip ourselves for desert travel, and maybe even gather some information on the elves' activities."
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter