New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Nightmare

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Default Urban Nightmare

Trochtelfingeen, the City of Towers is a massive place. Founded some 2,000 years ago, the city now covers everything. If there is land that is not covered by the city it is unknown. Rumors say that if you walk far enough in a single direction you will eventually come to the Edge of the City and the Paradise Beyond, but that is just a rumor. The City is said to be founded by a dying forgotten god whose flesh became the animals, bones became the plants, blood became the waters and most of all, whose hair became the First Towers.

The Towers are the most striking feature of Trochtelfingeen. Each is a nearly identical square mass on stone set about in the ground. Each tower is exactly one hundred feet square, and at least several hundred feet high. Though the tops of most towers are not visible from the ground. The towers have no known ground access, no windows or doors are visible below one hundred feet. Rumor says there are windows and even balcony's and doorways inside above that, but the truth is unknown. A dark, shadowy haze of unknown origin conceals the tops of the towers from below, blocking all most all of the sunlight from above. The ground gets very little natural sunlight, except for the few rare and valuable places where the haze is not so thick above. Just below the haze, nesting in junk stuck to the sides of the Towers, can be found various flying creatures. The most dangerous of them are the Jerrii, the Piranha birds.

In side the Towers live the Towellen, the Tower Folk. No one is quite sure who they are, and rumors abound about them. No one is even sure what race they are or what they look like, but everyone is sure that they are there. Everyday, at set times and at random, Junk Falls from the sky. The Tower Folk simply throw everything and anything they don't want onto the ground far below.

Life on the Ground is harsh. Very few green plants can grow anywhere, except the treasured Green Zones. Though some shady plants do struggle to survive, most of the plants on the ground are ones that don't need sunlight to live. Water is rare, and there is no know water from the ground, the only water comes from Above. Several set spots dump water from the Towers on regular bases, though most of that water is little better then poison. Rain is uncommon, but is almost the only source of natural water. Several animals thrive in the environment, such as rats and vultures, but many animals are unknown to exist naturally. And living in the shadows of the Towers are the Pordron, the People. The poor souls who must fight for existence on the ground. They live in whatever they can throw together from Junk Falls or that they can otherwise create. Fighting is a simple way of life for the People. The People are of several dozen races, though most consider themselves all of one race. No race has a majority and everyone is just as bad off as everyone else.

The one small saving grace on the Ground is magic. Through magic the Pordron can just barley manage to survive. Though there are far too many People in need, and far too few spellcasters. Still, with magic, the People can get many much needed things. The Churches are quite a powerful force because of this, offering needed things to only their faithful. Though the Churches constantly war with each other. Arcane spellcasters have never successively formed any type of organization, though it has been tried before. A great many spellcasters live lives that are little better then slaves, attached to a powerful patron. Most free spellcasters hide their magical talent, but plenty make a good living as an independent person.

The Pordron form into various small gangs, but such groups often don't last long. A leader can often only keep a gang together as long as he can meet their daily needs. Most people look out for little more then their own.

Breisgauan is the largest known Green Zone. It is the only place known that still has any strong connection to Fey Magic. The forest is filled with various Fey related creatures(though true fey type creatures are all but unknown), that are constantly at war with all their hostile neighbors. The northern dwarves, in particular invade and conquer a little more of Breisgauan every year. Though the areas conquered by the dwarves are still in the Green Zone, they are quite often as wasted and barren as the rest of the land as the dwarves don't maintain the land. And while others do invade from time to time, they are most often driven back. The dwarves however, have been a constant black mark.

It is into this horrible Urban Nightmare that you are born:
    Last edited by Gamer Girl; 2012-10-02 at 01:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Urban Nightmare

Alexandria Württemberg. High born dwarf, part of the elite ruling class and forever a stain on her family's name. She picks with gnarled fingers at the debris around her. Searching for anything that might be of value. A mountain of "treasures" on her back display the things she has already found.

She is unaware of her surroundings when she starts searching through the junk. Too focused on what may lay beneath the top layer. Talking to herself all the while. "Nothing here, nothing here. Why isn't there something. There is always something a little deeper. Just a little more searching and we will finds it."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kirabo scratched at his itchy beard as gazed across the area, trying to see any threats which could come near. He was currently crouched on the branches of a tree he had earlier climbed, though he was disappointed in that it looked like it was either dying or dead.

Hearing the Dwarf mumble to herself again, the feybound cast his eyes towards his companions.
    "They never leave anything good. If you search through it again, that wont change. And it also means we have less time to reach shelter."
    The Spiderblood's tone was relatively calm, but you could notice the anxiousness in his pessimism.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateGuy

"They might have missed something, you never know. You never know anything about the treasures." Alex goes over the junk one more time before relenting to Kirabo.

"Fine, there is nothing here. Where shall we go to shelter, maybe they have better piles there."

5. - Top - End - #5

"Where do you think? Where we always do."

Marni shakes his head, and, as usual, standing a little back. It was a curse to have a good nose down here, and there was no chance he was going to attempt to climb the towers again.
    "That is, assuming no one else has moved in.... But it may be time to move on."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eoin agrees with Kirabo, thinking that it would be wise to get a move on. However, he doesn't wish to upset Alex, whom he pities.

Approaching the pile of discarded materials and trash, Eoin begins to help Alex search through it.

"Perhaps I could help?" Eoin suggests, hoping to speed up the normally long process of scouring a trash heap.
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateGuy

"No! Lets just go. You can help me search the next one, yes please thank you."

Alex leaves Eion at the pile and starts to rearrange her personal pile of treasures, readying it for the walk back to their current home.

8. - Top - End - #8

Realizing that his assistance wasn't needed (as Alex was willing to go), Eoin stands up from the heap, wiping his hands on his trousers as he does so.

"Are the rest of you ready to depart?" Eoin asks.
    Last edited by Blueiji; 2012-10-06 at 11:16 PM.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

9. - Top - End - #9

Kirabo dropped down from the branches and joined his companions.
    "I'm obviously ready."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

A quick wind blows up from the north, bringing the rotting stench of whatever can be fund in that direction towards the area around you all. Just as quick as it started the wind dies down. As soon as the wind fades, the sounds of heavy boots fill the air, as a group of two dozen dwarves march between the towers just west of where you are at. Wise folk move out of the way of the marching dwarfs, but some get a good swat out of the way by the dwarves with big clubs. The dwarves stop at a tower a couple dozen feet away and form a crescent shaped double line around one side at the bottom of that tower. Then the dwarfs just stand there, alert and watching with weapons drawn

11. - Top - End - #11

Kirabo was anxious, the Dwarves were known for taking the small amounts of decent land.
    "Do they plan to attack? These dwarves have already taken so much of the Green."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Eoin contemplates Kirabo's question and then says the following. "If we wish to know the Dwarves' intentions, then would it not be best to ask them?"

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

13. - Top - End - #13

PirateGuy

Alex pipes up, "I'm a dwarf, I'll ask, they might even reward us for our bravery." She starts to trundle towards the dwarfs intent on pestering them to the best of her ability.

14. - Top - End - #14

Marni finally recovers from vomiting after the change of wind, luckily, not much of it was food.

" I would guess something has informed them someones about to drop something from the tower. But would you really like to ask? But then again, I could try and climb above them, maybe grab some things should they be thrown, before they can pick the choisy bits."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

The dwarves don't move much from there double line semi circle around the tower, they simply stand there alert and with weapons drawn. Most folk give them a wide berth, but the few folks that come too close get a swat from a club.

Two dwarfs, both with battle axes and chain mail but no shields to take notice of Alex and even point and gesture at her. They lean close to whisper to each other so nothing much is heard other then an occasional "Har, har, har" The rest of the dwarves don't seem to take any notice of the twos actions.

16. - Top - End - #16

Eoin listens intently to Marni, not paying much attention to the snickering Dwarves.

"That's an excellent idea Marni, we'll just have not make sure they don't notice you. . ." Eoin trails off, trying to think of some way to distract the Dwarves.

"It seems that, for now at least, the guards are preoccupied with Alex, however that may not last for long." Eoin says, commenting on the situation. He then turns to Kirabo, saying "Kirabo, do you have any ideas?"

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

17. - Top - End - #17

"Sadly my specialization is NOT getting noticed. I could stab one of them in the face, but I believe that would end in our swift death."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Eoin laughs at what he hopes is a joke on Kirabo's part. Then again, Eoin wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. "Perhaps you could help with the accumulation of the falling objects then? I'm sure that Marni's efforts could only benefit from an extra pair of hands."

Eoin glances back at the group of Dwarves, checking on their current activities. "I guess that leaves me to help with the distracting," Eoin says as he walks over to Alex.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

19. - Top - End - #19

"Well.... I'll start moving around to the opposite side to start walking up it... Maybe just seeing me will disrupt them enough for you to help, but I have no clue how you would distract them... Perhaps make a scene with our own Dwarf."

Shrugging, Marni beggins walking such to move to the tower, however off to the side/behind and out of sight of the dwarves, ready to climb up it.

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateGuy

Alex reaches the sniggering dwarfs and addresses them seriously. "Young man. Why are you here? Is it the treasures from above? Is it? We like the treasures. We could help, yes?"

Spoiler
    Show

diplomacy if needed
    (d20-2)[5]
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-10 at 03:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Eoin catches up with Alex, just in time to hear her addressing the Dwarves. He then waits patiently for the Dwarven guards to answer Alex's question.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

The two dwarfs stop whispering as Alex gets closer, but they both keep their eyes on her and listen to her words.

Dwarf Guard"Ah, well yes mama, we are waiting for a Treasure From Above. But I doubt that we will need any help. "

23. - Top - End - #23

Upon hearing this, Marni, still walking away, has trouble not going to a dead run, walking as quickly as is feasible. Then, soon moving out of sight, Marni starts walking up the tower, towards the side the Dwarves are on.

24. - Top - End - #24

PirateGuy

"What treasure, what is it? I must knows what the treasure is. The treasure rains, how do you know its coming?" Alex keeps shifting from foot to foot, basically dancing with excitement.
    "I'm good at finding treasure, not today though, but I'm good at finding treasure. If you know when it rains you could get all the treasure. How do you know?"
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-11 at 09:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Dwarf Guard:"We know it's coming as we got our hands on a seer. And it's stuff we really want, metal. Stuff we can make good weapons and armor and mugs out of. There will likely be other junk, that we'd be willing to share."

The dwarves watch Marni movements, but they stay in there defensive half circle line.

26. - Top - End - #26

Marni shook his head but kept walking along the tower. He could hardly run or sneak, and had been hoping that they kept the dwarves distracted, but that was life.

At hearing it was metal, Marni slowed a little in his walk, but quickly resumed. It was just mostly metal, perhaps he could pick something good, just as long as he wasn't knocked off.

27. - Top - End - #27

Eoin's mind races, attempting to think of a good way to draw the Dwarves away from the towers so that Marni and Kirabo will have the opportunity to gather as many as the incoming falling valuables as possible. After a couple second rushed thought, Eoin comes up with a (not very well thought out) plan.

Eoin jerks his head around suddenly, pretending to have heard a noise from far off. Then he turns back to the Dwarves, contorting his face into what he hopes resembles a look of panic.

"Err, fellow Dwarves! Did you hear that? It sounds like the falling objects are coming from the tower over there!"

Eoin points off behind him, towards a tower nowhere near where they're currently located.

"If you want to get a hold of the valuables before some random, undeserving city-folk do, then you had better hurry!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Eoin is bluffing, obviously. He's attempting to get the Dwarves to go away, so that his companions can acquire the desperately needed items about to fall from the towers.

I'm holding out on rolling a bluff check, as I'm hoping that Alex will attempt to help Eoin in the fib by using the "aid another" option to give Eoin a +2 on the bluff check. However, if Alex decides not to do so, I'll be happy to make the roll, or Gamer Girl could roll it for me.

I have a +2 bonus on an untrained bluff check, such as this one.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateGuy

"Where? Mine!" Alex starts, what she considers, running to the tower that Eoin is pointing to. Frantically searching the sky for anything falling.

Spoiler
    Show

she just isn't that bright.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2012-10-13 at 05:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's Eoin's bluff check.

[roll0]

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show
    For some reason in the above roll I made it's only displaying "(1d20+2)[5]" rather than the result, I'm trying again here. Bluff check = 1d20+2.

(1d20+2)[5]

If I mess up again than I'f love it if you rolled for me. I've never been good at using the forum dice roller.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!