New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Awesome Epic Gesalt Nations Game - rweird

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hïssha beamed and bowed for him. Aglosesl narrowed his eyes at the visitor and pulled one hand into his opposite sleeve. "I don't know about this, monarch. I don't trust his looks."

"It's a long explanation." Atrill shifted his eyes to look at the killoren. If Arcane Sight or a similar spell was on Vilgon's person, he would notice a strong aura 'blink'. Aglosesl removed his hand from his sleeve slowly, apparently slightly alarmed. "Elm?"

"ïnsi ŋagal ï sato ssa," the waking petal mumbled as she straightened her dress, then rose into the air alongside Hïssha and bowed as well. "Did our monarch already welcome you?" she asked, glancing nervously towards Atrill as she spoke. She seemed starstruck, in a word.

OOC: Since you said 'easily': it means they're advanced to 3 HD. Elm's translation from Sylvan is something like "I'm stopping my sleep, monarch", for your language doohickey.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well met, your monarch has welcomed me. I come from a nation new to this world." He says, "If you find my mask disconcerting, It can be changed."

He tries to identify the school from the lingering aura that 'blinked': (1d20+79)[86] DC 15+spell level or DC 15+half CL for non-spell effect.

OoC: I'd have a 77 on knowledge nature if I got a 1. Vilgon also knows Sylvan without tongues, he will be speaking in Sylvan for the rest of this unless he is asked not to, it is much the way that the court of stars speaks sylvan.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It's a little scary," Elm says in Sylvan, not reacting to the language change.

"Are you kidding? It's fine," Hïssha replies, nudging the brighter petal's shoulder.

"Of course you think it's fine--"

"That doesn't mean what you're implying it means, right?"

Aglosesl sighs and mutters something disparaging about the 'flyers'. Before the budding argument can escalate, Atrill makes a slightly distracting motion of straightening his robe. Elm notices him again, then resumes eye contact with Vilgon. "...New?"

"It arrived the same way Canidius did, though for different reasons."

Vilgon's vast store of knowledge could determine a lot (read: incoming infodump): the best natural explanation for the color and shape of Hïssha's wings was albinism, but from what the Heathen of Nine said earlier about negative energy, she was more likely to be undead. Hïssha and Elm looked otherwise normal for exceptional (advanced) petals, except for their plumpness, which just meant that they ate well. So Hïssha probably became undead fairly recently, though what "recently" meant depended on how fast the availability of food changed. Aglosesl obviously hovered via Levitate, confirmed by the appropriate aura. The aura on his book suggested that he had cast it himself. The 'blink' effect from earlier had been a strong Enchantment, but it didn't leave any auras behind or change any present ones--maybe on Atrill himself, but Arcane Sight would basically 404 there. The tower itself had an aura similar to the active Levitate, though the plants growing on the ceiling were mundane.

4. - Top - End - #124

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vilgon reaches his hand to his face, placing it on the mask he utters a few words and the mask vanishes. It reveals a redish golden face, though it looks human, though fairer. The eyes are pools of silver, though they show great wisdom, he seems to be out of his youth, though he has yet to reach old age. "Is this better?" he says smiling. "We are new, having just arrived five days ago. We came here fleeing from the Blood War, in our world, the demons won. We have books about it, should I send for them?"

Spellcraft DC 23 (I presume that you can get a 23 even if you got a 0, but still):
    Spoiler
    Show
    He just cast Superior Invisibility on the mask.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That's...okay, actually," Elm says. "Wasn't the Blood War the one with the yugoloths and...um..."

"Demons and devils. Keep up. It's the first thing you learn about them." Aglosesl sneers.

"I don't pay attention to that kind of thing. They're all sort of the same."

"And they seriously just lay around and sing all day... Monarch?"

Atrill nodded at Vilgon. "I would like to see the books, at the least. If they're informative enough, shall we be allowed to make copies for my records? As an aside, if there was resolution to the Blood War in one 'world' and a lack thereof in the other, that suggests that some clarification is needed on what a 'world' is in this context."

OoC: Sharing some numbers back--he took 10 and got 77.

6. - Top - End - #126

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "For world, it would be our universe, though we left before the demons reached all planes." He pauses for a moment. "It sent for the books." After about 20 seconds, a glowing multicolored orb, and a celestial dire bat ridden by a robed, winged figure appears above them. The figure leaps off the bat, and dives, stopping about 10 ft. in the air. He reaches into his robe and pulls out a folded piece of cloth. Finding a clear space in on the floor of the tower, he unfolds it, leaving a pit filled with books. The books levitate out and stack themselves neatly in alphabetical order. This process repeats up to 10 times (I don't feel like doing the math for how many books can fit in a portable hole) until 1000 books are stacked in from of you. Then the figures vanish. "I think these will be sufficient, call on use when your done for us to remove them unless you wish to buy them."

OoC: He just cast Superior Invisibility on the mask. I'm reposting it here just in case you didn't read it below.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    Atrill followed the figure to the inside* of the tower. Inside, nine fey (living and otherwise) of various species watched the books stack up, most of them uncomfortable with the sudden display of magic and the diminishing floor space. Atrill kept them at ease with a gentle smile, making mental note of the titles and quantity of the selection.

"I expected far fewer than this," he said, sounding impressed. "Obviously, I cannot read all of this in one evening. How should I call?"

"That is...a lot of books. That's more books than should be in a library," a startled pixie woman commented, from the corner of the room.

OOC: I saw it, but had no comment.

*I think I mentioned that we were on the roof. If it wasn't clear, sorry.

8. - Top - End - #128

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "True, though much of what is said in each is the same, though others besides you may desire to read them. I could send a Sending to ask you if we should pick them up each day, or you could send a Sending to me, or some other message system could be devised. We have a more extensive library, though it is in our language, and is less transportable, though you have free access to it if you wish."

OoC: He would have unloaded them on the roof if you where on the roof and there was room, if not we would have asked if there was a place for him to unload them. I'll presume that the tower would suffice, though if you would have had it somewhere else we could go back and redo that.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Taking ten minutes and a useful spell out of every day could be inconvenient. I'll Send for you. I will return them, but feel free to Send if you'd like them back sooner or it seems that I've forgotten." Atrill hovered over the books, within arm's reach of two pixies that abandoned the crowded floor in favor of airspace. "These will be free to loan after I set up a catalog with Aulsvand. Pass the information on a bit," he suggested to the small crowd.

"...Did he just say there were more books?"

"Yes."

"How does anyone get so many books!?"

OOC: It was probably best to put them inside since the roof is slanted. And I just made that up, but it's true now.

10. - Top - End - #130

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "For me the sending would only take a minute, it wouldn't be a bother for me to cast the sending. We could send someone to check instead though."
    Last edited by rweird; 2012-09-29 at 05:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Rweird
    Spoiler
    Show

You arrive then.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

12. - Top - End - #132

Drack:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did anything fall out?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't know of anything that would fall out that you can't catch.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If you feel it's prudent. The method isn't important enough to worry about." Atrill scanned the collection of books, lost for a solution, but only for a moment. He looked back up at Vilgon, once again with his knowing expression. "I can solve the logistics from here. Was there anything else you wished to discuss? And would you mind if I, or an emissary, visited the Remnant at some point in the near future of perhaps two weeks?"

15. - Top - End - #135

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You certainly can feel free to visit. If you have a library, us being able to look through it would be helpful. I shall send the sendings. We are at the islands farthest north."

OoC: Should you just contact me when you're done instead of me posting a sending every day until then?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Excellent." Atrill bowed briefly. "Our only substantial library is Aulsvand's personal collection. I'll inform him about your arrival."

"Since when did we have libraries?" Aglosesl asked, descending from the side of the roof to hover at face-level with a window.

"I'm disinclined to debate labels, so I generalize for what Vilgon actually wanted to know about."

"Oh, forget it."

OOC: Yeah, no need to post daily.

17. - Top - End - #137

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vilgon bows as well. "I look forwards to looking through the library-" He breaks off for a moment as a look of concern crosses his face, it is fleeting, so fast many wouldn't notice (he has a pretty high bluff bonus so the others probably wouldn't notice, though he is making it more visible than he could have [DC 50 sense motive to notice], he also gives Atril a look if he notices that saying "I'll tell you later, in private") before continuing as if nothing happened and he didn't break off. You mention Aulsvand, saying he has the only substantial library, who is he exactly?

OoC: Okay, so you'll just tell me, posting here would be good for that. As for the bluff thing, Vilgon would bring it up anyways in private with you so i don't think spoilering it was needed. I presume the others can't reach 50, though I might be wrong, I'm pretty sure you have a bonus higher than 50, though I wanted it to be easy for you to tell that.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    Atrill tilts his head very slightly at the microexpression, enough to be noticeable if it was intentional, but ignorable if it had been nothing important.

"He is my advisor, assistant, friend, and one of very few nonfey that are accepted here, for his elven and scholastic social roles. Ktikunnus Nemnr Tkos Lvvetni ro Truespeech ro," Atrill added experimentally, soft enough that the others would think they'd misheard something. Indeed, a few started whispering to each other. Vilgon's magic (or mundane familiarity) would surely pick up the somewhat archaic Gnomish expression: something about getting his tongue stuck in his own sinuses when trying to pronounce Elven--except replacing Elven with Truespeech.

OOC: Good call on the DC, actually.

19. - Top - End - #139

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If he is not busy I would like to see him now. Its been a pleasure meeting you all." He says smiling, the second part addressed to the fey besides Atril.

OoC: I presumed you would make it easily, though the people I was meeting with wouldn't.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He is averse to sharing his schedule, but he has finished everything I needed from him recently." Atrill glides next to Vilgon, then presses one hand against the wall just above a stack of books. "I should transport these to him anyway," Atrill says, and tilts his head towards the ground for a moment. He speaks a few slithering arcane words*, and his hand moves into (?) the wall a bit. The smaller members of the surrounding fey, rather overstimulated from the situation, mutter their salutations and search for an exit, some of them finding the path of flying through a window.

"Do you mind if the books are held in this way only until reaching Aulsvand, for him to remove and catalog?"

OOC: *Shadow Cache (MotP); I won't pretend you can fail at the Spellcraft check.

21. - Top - End - #141

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Holding books like that is fine, so long as they are removed within a day, loosing those many books would be problematic. if it is okay with you I would like to see him now." If it seems certain that they are alone and no one is listening in (60 on listen), he says quietly "Why I indicated that I wished to speak in private was a message Thallagon sent me, he said that the islands our kingdom is above has vampires, I didn't want to mention it in front of the others because some of them are undead and I don't think that mentioning that we are worried about undead would be the best for relations with them. If you have any knowledge of those islands, or a group of vampires that might inhabit them, that would be helpful in our contact with them."

Drack: Does the time stream different change the time taken for stuff that is shadow cached to be lost?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Shadow cache: Some of the plane of shadow passes close enough to be encompassed in the time field.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "This is the first time I have heard about islands of vampires," Atrill notes dryly as he manually shoves armloads of books into the cache. "I would appreciate being informed of anything you learn about them." Atrill hums a brief tune to himself as he moves books expediently, looking completely unbothered by the labor. He glances towards Vilgon during one flight arc, smiling, as if to assure that he is happy with this mundane method.

OOC: I thought drack said that there are Shadow/Ethereal/Mirror/etc. planes for this one, so I didn't worry about time interactions.

24. - Top - End - #144

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We will inform you of the developments them, in any occur, our divinations say that they will resist occupation. Our nation is currently at a high enough elevation that the vampires will have difficulty reaching it before sunrise." he says, "Our leader will try to contact them. If things go badly, I may have to leave abruptly, though the divinations say that we will prosper so that isn't expected."

OoC: I wanted to be sure.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I wish you and Althorgen luck," Atrill answers. "If you come to need an undead representative to vouch for your peacefulness, something could be arranged were you to contact me about it." He hefts some more books into the cache, and exhales sharply. "This is entertaining, but will take some time. If you want to reach Aulsvand while I'm clearing my head like this..."

Atrill proceeded to give concise directions to a coastal area, plus or minus several hundred feet to account for moving wagons.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Never hurts to be careful.

27. - Top - End - #147

Kayzan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If he won't be disconcerted by my sudden appearance, I'll go now. Come when you can if you wish. I'll send a sending if I leave, or if we need a messenger to the vampires." With that, he disappear, unless Atril says something along the lines of he'll be surprised, he doesn't take kindly to visitors, etc. He is greater Teleporting to the location describe and will look for signs of Aulsvand.

Drack: Excepts for when the game slows to a crawl or stops entirely because of it (for examples, see cautious parties in the Tomb of Horror)
    Last edited by rweird; 2012-10-17 at 08:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

rweird: Ouch, true, or the endless player obsessions with details DM throw in for realism like the perfectly normal rock at the center of the clearing.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

rweird
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Vilgon arrives, he'll find the beach to be very sparely populated with wagons. The closest cluster nearby had been driven in a circle. The angle prevented looking inside any of them except for one, which appeared to have books stacked along the walls.

A Gray Elf, with cracked skin and dark hair, peeked his head out from one of the other wagons, and looked towards Vilgon. It could have been hard to tell from this distance (for an imperceptive person), but his eyebrows raised in mild concern, and he pulled his head back into his little shelter.

30. - Top - End - #150

Kazyan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vilgon approaches the wagons, when he is next to the outer wagons he calls out Are you Aulsvand? I wish to speak with him, I am Vilgon Valthrin, I come from a nation that has newly arrived in this world. Atril told me to look for you because you have a library that woud be able to tell us more about this plane. he says smiling.