New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1450
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: MitD VI: The Undiscovered Creature (Please Read the First Post)

Isn't there some mention of the Protean "babbling constantly" or something? I remember it's the reason speaking common would be surprising. I don't have my copy of the ELH handy, and it's not under their SRD entry.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Protean's regular language is constantly evolving, to the point that no one who isn't a Protean can understand it. I think that's what you mean.

And indeed, the fact that MitD is speaking in so many different ways in one strip might be yet another (minor) point in its favor.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

In all honesty...

I seriously doubt MitD is any creature from 3.5 or beyond. Not sure how old Rich is, but I would assume he's been around for 1st edition. If MitD is anything D&D related, I'm pretty sure its a creature that was specifically made for an original module.

Had a few hours to kill last night and was enjoying going through Secret of Bone Hill, Ghost Tower of Inverness, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits and couldn't help but think that somewhere out there was something made for a D&D Tournament years ago that had a new family of critters just for that session. Something that either didn't find its way into the 1st edition MM2 or Fiend Folio, or was changed so much in the update to 2nd and 3rd edition that its not recognizable anymore.

Gonna have to dive into my old storage boxes and see if I can find my copy of the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and Scourge of the Slave Lords and, aside from enjoying some light reading, see if anything jumps out at me...

4. - Top - End - #1444

ElfWarriorGuy

Tathum, that would be awesome. Most of the time those old things don't produce anything new but every once in a while you get a lucky and a handful of potential candidates tumble out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    From what Google tells me, Corcondant Killer can be found in the Monster Manual IV (page 34), which came out July 11, 2006. MitD was around for a year and a half before that.

Do we know if this creature was defined earlier?

Grey Wolf
    Hmm, are those the rules on playing a Concordant Killer as a PC? The class version of the Concordant Killer can do nifty stuff like get Miracle as a class-ability at level 19, but the standard monster version in MM4 doesn't include any special rules about leveling them.

Unfortunately, its not strong enough for the Tower Scene (27 STR, which is too bad because its DR10/- is about right), and for the Escape Scene its Greater Teleport is the usual, annoying, self+50 lbs and it doesn't really have anything else. Might do ok on the Circus Scene though.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Myan View Post
    I think I've been misunderstand or I didn't explain myself very well (much likely).

[snip]

I'll try try to put it that way: Rich isn't using DeM when he write MitD. But inside the story he behave like a living DeM, a creature with the abilities of a DeM.

(Hope I'm understandable this time)
    I think you're doing a fine job expressing yourself. The issue is that guessing that the MitD is a stated out version of DeM you're not actually giving us any way of going forward with it.

While I could accept the idea of Rich statting out some non-dnd monster I think it would have to be one with a very well defined set of recognizable abilities. If, for example, you suggested he stated out Jeannie from the tv show I Dream of Jeannie then we could look at what the MitD does and say that that character matches some things we've seen the MitD do but not others.
    With DeM we can't do that because DeM is a vague idea that can be taken to mean anything from the original latin meaning to the much broader way it's used now.

Because the set of things that DeM can do is essentially the set of everything that can be done there is nothing we can compare to the actual actions of the MitD we see in the comic.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myan View Post
    I meant thet MitD is a creature wich is a living, thinking DeM and it have its own well defined powers. Power that Rich know and choose.
    I'm even sure that one could make a character sheet of MitD.
    This would fall under "something Rich made up", since there is no such thing as a personification of DeM, unless you count the Gods themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Hmm, are those the rules on playing a Concordant Killer as a PC? The class version of the Concordant Killer can do nifty stuff like get Miracle as a class-ability at level 19, but the standard monster version in MM4 doesn't include any special rules about leveling them.
    Good to know. Sorry, all I know about the creature was what was posted in the other thread. MM4 creatures don't seem to be in the SRD.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Unfortunately, its not strong enough for the Tower Scene (27 STR, which is too bad because its DR10/- is about right), and for the Escape Scene its Greater Teleport is the usual, annoying, self+50 lbs and it doesn't really have anything else. Might do ok on the Circus Scene though.
    Thanks. That helps enormously.

-----------------

Thread update

Only 4 pages, so this will be quick:

Added Sarrukh, Smiling Medina, DeM Personification and Concordant Killer. Brought back the Most Dangerous Box Ever.

Section 5 became Section 4. Hopefully all the internal references are pointing at the right places.

Oh, and this all happened in the new thread, which is now open for business here. Please form an unruly mob and trample your way there at your earliest convenience.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-07-17 at 07:59 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #1447

ElfWarriorGuy

Trample, trample, trample

Oh, my bad.

(turns around and heads to other thread)

Trample, trample, trample
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rich is secretly laughing at all of you. Has been for years.

1: Monster that Rich didn't make up, but expects someone else to guess.

2: Monster that Rich planned on after strip #100.

Easy! The monster will be made-up by someone guessing what it is.

Yeah, I know there are holes in this, but it's hilarious.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Rich is secretly laughing at all of you. Has been for years.

1: Monster that Rich didn't make up, but expects someone else to guess.

2: Monster that Rich planned on after strip #100.

Easy! The monster will be made-up by someone guessing what it is.

Yeah, I know there are holes in this, but it's hilarious.
    You should probably post this in the current thread, located here, if you want anyone to see this.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Closed for Length. Restart if you haven't already.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.