Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Tales of the North: Terror Beneath the Ice

The kobold trots along with the human, keeping a watch out as much as he can for anything not yet accounted for. "Eh? Saved a kobold? I must admit I'm not used to battle... did it go reasonably, based on your experience?" Once they find the gnoll, he looks dubiously at the fish-creature's corpse, "Mm, there are a lot of injured back at the ship, but many may be beyond the ability of your wand to heal. As for others... did you see anything that would indicate they ran us against this particular rock on purpose? Or was it just convenient for their false light? The steersman thought they may be camped out on it somewhere."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

He grinned at his little side kick of a warlock." I hadn't meant you to hear that bit, it was an old man being a bit sardonic as he remembered a battle. It of course went swimmingly. He would guffaw at that bit as he closed in on the Gnoll.

"I've never eaten a fish man...but I guess I will try anything once. After we've destroyed the last of our enemies of course. As a wise priest once told me, 'once you have broken the will of your enemies, sortie from your walls and crush them body and soul. The slain cannot trouble a watchful guardian.' So put that in a barrel of pickles Dog Face, and let's run the beasties to ground! " He surveyed the area and awaited his new found, and soaking wet war hound, point the way to their mutual enemies.
    Super Cool Set of Monster Classes

Realmz Project an interesting rules rewrite for the E6 and other games.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Dagryl shrugged, "Actually, I need to get back to the ship before we continue the carnage - Gotta make sure everyone still alive back at the ship is going to make it to the next port, as well as get my fishing pole and bucket."

With that, Dagryl will head back to the ship beached on the reefs, heading up to the deck to get his pack, bow, and flail, and healing kit, then help with the ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure whether to bother slowing the game down with interaction aboard the ship or not - Taking 10 on all heal checks to stabilize downed crew - wish D&D had d20 Modern's "First Aid" ability

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dagryl is welcomed back aboard with a cheer from the Luskan crew, who seem to be in surprisingly good spirits, with the corpses of a dozen slain attackers piled on deck to bolster their confidence. Those injured are at least stable, and most are working - it seems someone aboard is a competent medic. Still, despite the accordion music wafting about, an atmosphere of nervous anticipation permeates. Preparations are being made to abandon the wreck. The rigging is secured and provisions are being loaded onto one of the small cutters, while others keep watch for another attack from the reef-dwellers.
    Last edited by Adamant Sunrise; 2012-09-24 at 08:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

After retrieving his stuff, Dagryl returns to the others. On his way off, he tells the ship crew, "Me and the other passengers are going fishing. Think we can get a pretty big haul?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

A few of the hands laugh grimly as the gnoll disappears down the rope. Halsteg stops to call over the side, "Whatever you lot are doin' down there, you best be quick. Storm's pickin' up, and we ain't waitin' around for no passengers!"

Noticing the pale Uthgardt woman on deck, the steersman turns to inquire, "Now how about you, miss? Ye coming or staying?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

The kobold chuckles, "Well, you can tell me what they taste like, then... I think I will leave that to those of stronger constitution than myself."

He nods in grim agreement to the human's second idea, however, drawing himself up to full height, "We may have driven them back for now, but I suspect that they will continue to prey on other ships if they are not stopped. If we have the strength to end their threat to others, then we cannot refuse the call." The kobold draws breath to continue, then cuts himself off abruptly with a slightly sheepish expression, coughing faintly into a scaled hand as they wait for the gnoll's return. "Er. Regardless, I have my armor and the medallion of my faith... I don't have use for or skill with other weapons, but will do what I can."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

The sturdy, ice-white woman turned her head, the mangled body of a nigh-mutilated sea-devil in her arms. The body stank, and was leaking gushes of red all down the front of her, matching a similarly colored spray that had peppered her face and hair. The brilliant, violent color was a stark contrast to her absence of color. She dropped the body with a wet, sickening plop next to its fellows.

"Coming." She replied, strangely articulate for someone with obvious barbarian blood, and with an accent of a Ten Townsman.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wethun knelt in the cold rocks, the feel of the cold quickly soaked into his bones. He opened his senses to the world, the smell was something new. A memory to file away for later, brine, blood, and steel. He began a brief and silent prayer to his patron. Best to ask for protection now, the upcoming venture would certainly be interesting.

He would smile a wicked grin as the pale woman and the dog faced mauler made their way back to him and the lizard. It looked like the group of passengers was formidable indeed. They would cut one hell of a pretty picture. He chuckled as he stood up from his prayers on the icy rocks. "Quite a group we've gathered here on the rocks."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

The storm is indeed picking up, when Dagryl and Rye meet up with the others. Though you are relatively sheltered here, the booming of the waves against the nearby rocks begins to sound like thunder.

The creature that fled from Dagryl disappeared among the rocks to the north, where the terrain slowly rises and emerges fully from the water. You can't see what might lie behind those rocks from where you are, but now and then a faint, gutteral scrap of alien speech finds its way to your ears, from a distance.

Map:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...PUFpJZ3c#gid=0

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

"I could certainly use something on the rocks about now," Dagryl snickered to Wethrun's comment. Anyway... those fishies aren't going to kill themselves, and the crew's thinking about swimming off without us. So we'll make this slaughter quick. My ears are good, but my eyes are terrible and the surf is deafening... do we have a better scout than me?"

Without waiting for an answer, the gnoll would heft his brutally ornate flail and head north at a quick scamper, trying to hear the whereabouts of the sea-devils through the din.

12. - Top - End - #72

The Uthgardt woman sniffed, drinking in the scents of those that now gathered around her, and in particular the smell of the hyena-man with his perpetual grin. Her scarlet eyes darted between each of them, scrutinizing them as if they were haunches of meat hung up to dry for the winter. In the end she said nothing, as the wind caught her hair.

She patted the curve of her thigh and from behind her, silent as a ghost, a slim white beast stalked up beside her, the white of its fur having camouflaged it only until a moment before. The great cat's muzzle was awash with running blood, and its eyes were a brilliant, terrible blue.

"Not I." The albino woman replied. "But she might be."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+7)[16]

Move Silently
    (1d20+7)[13]

Spot
    (1d20+6)[8]

Wethun drew his blade and moved forward, as he caught Dargly he held a finger to his lips and moved further up the rocks. He kept his eyes open, looking for any sign of their enemies. Hopefully he could skewer those fishmen before they got the drop on the majority of the group.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

The kobold shook his head when asked about scouting, "I'm afraid not, haven't had occasion to..." He keeps back with the others, doing his best to keep someone between him and the worryingly large cat (at least for as long as it remains by the woman's side and does not leave to scout.)

15. - Top - End - #75

Those red eyes of hers studied the kobold for some time, watching his nervous body language. The snow leopard did the same, breathing softly with little guttural clicks. A grin then broke the woman's face, and she showed pearly teeth that matched the color of her skin.

"She will not eat you." She said, pulling her furs closer around her as the wind bit deeper into her flesh. "At least, I do not think she will. Provided you do not make yourself look overly appetizing."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

The small winged kobold offered a somewhat unsteady grin, "Well, I don't think I would be particularly appetizing." He paused, then winced and nodded apologetically, "Ah, and I do not mean to cause offense to yourself or to.. to her. It is simply that... well... there were no large animals save horses within or near the temple complex, bonded companions or otherwise. I've seen plenty of illustrations, of course, but that is not quite the same thing."

17. - Top - End - #77

The woman shook her head. "No offense taken. You are very small. I was frightened when I first saw her, and I am just about twice your size."

She closed her mouth again, and suddenly an awkwardness began to seemingly creep into the sturdy, shapely young woman. She flashed her eyes downwards, and then back up at the little kobold. She paused overly long, and then finally said, "I am Rye."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Creeping forward, Wethun and Dagryl come upon a clearing of sorts in the forest of rock formations, seemingly deserted. About forty feet ahead, the rock wall appears to give way to a natural cave. Beyond the range of the gnoll's darkvision, its darkened mouth is unlit by torch or fire, though there seems to be some trace of illumination further in.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

He looked about the clearing as intently as possible. His eyes narrowing in suspicion, he didn't trust open spaces...nor did he trust fishmen, ruddy caves, wet dog men, or creepy ice witches. This whole twist in the weave of fate stank of, well of death, glorious death, but death all the same. His eyes narrowed he would look to the dog man after giving everything a once over.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot
    (1d20+6)[14]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

Dagryl chuckled upon seeing the cave entrance. "Heh... what are the odds we can go fetch the ship, get it into the water, and crash it over the cave?" he snickered, letting his mind go on a flight of fancy and imagining the carnage of broken timbers and the full strength of the stormy seas flooding into the cave and impaling all the sea-devils undoubtedly inside, reducing them to bloody pulps. "Eh... not gonna happen... They've likely got it well-guarded, and I'm not sure we have time to slaughter everything down there before the idiots back on the ship decide to row awa without us. But... I'm not one to pass up an adventure like this"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

As far as Wethun can detect, the clearing is, in fact, deserted. Straining his eyes in the darkness, he can discern the existence of a recently doused fire just inside the opening of the cave, where it would have been sheltered against the elements. Judging from the faint illumination from deeper inside, there does not appear to be anyone around.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

The kobold offered a warm smile and a slightly out of place bow, "Wind-Blown Spark, a lay deacon of sorts in the service of the Morninglord. It's a pleasure to meet you."

He tilted his head a bit to one side, listening for any sounds of combat, "I don't hear anything... no nasty surprises laying in wait as yet, I suppose? Should we move forward the rest of the way?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Looks clear from here, can you here or smell anything out of place?. There looks like an old firepit is in the cave, and maybe torches or something is keeping the inside lit. I say we gut em and head back after. See what's in the cave first then make our choice." his hoarse whisper broke his silence, he continued to peer about. Making sure all
    Was well. If Dargly doesn't smell or see anything off, Wethun would signal the others up before continuing to the cave.

24. - Top - End - #84

Rye brought her own ear to the wind, the white curve of it departing the mess of similarly colored hair. "I don't hear anything either." She paused, chewing the sounds and the howls of the rocks thoughtfully. "Yet." She echoed. "If there is to be an ambush, then they must still be lying in wait."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Whispering a quick prayer, Wethun broke from cover and began to push across the rocks to the cave.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move silently
    [roll]1d20+7[/[/roll]

Hide
    (1d20+7)[22]

Spot
    (1d20+6)[26]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Move silently
    (1d20+7)[19]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Wethun pushed across the ice he signaled for his hidden companions to follow him at a run to the cave mouth. Once there he would signal for a silent move forward into the cave, weapons ready. A feral grin crossed his face...nothing like a bit of a rough an tumble to make you feel alive.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reaching the mouth of the cave, the first thing that greets the human is the loathsomeness of the air from within, air that seems strangely warm in contrast to the frigid cold outside. Scattered about the entrance are the remains of two cooking fires, recently doused. As your eyes slowly adjust to the darkness, you notice that small piles of bones lie strewn around your feetómost appearing to have belonged to fish or other sea creatures, but a few bearing a disturbingly more familiar aspect.

The faint sounds of speech you heard on your slow approach up the rocks have died away completely. Although faint traces of light seem to be illuminating the cavern deeper in, beyond a bend, the immediate area seems indeed deserted.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last edited by Adamant Sunrise; 2012-10-21 at 01:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The warrior allowed his body a quick shiver, an a neccessary and nearly silent yawn as he turned on his heels and pushed back into Dargyls line of sight. He would wait for a bit, letting his eyes adjust he would try and pick the gnoll out from the rocks and ice.

Once he saw the hyena man...and he knew that the creature saw him...he began to gesture for the group to move to the mouth of the cave.