New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Careless Village WW

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    "...."
    “Well, I would enjoy talking you further, if you have the time. I will talk to the bookseller and meet you at the tavern afterward? I know that I will need something, and could use friendly company.” Kal responded. She pulled her own hood down, revealing a mess of long dark curls framing a tanned face. She smiled and her dark eyes showed her amusement. Naera may not be warm, but her calm demeanor was comforting none the less. At least it was not accusatory.

“So, if you know someone whom you think would be a better person to introduce me, then we should find them. If not, I will trust your judgment as to if it would be better for you to introduce me or if I should introduce myself,” Kal’s smile grew even more amused. “It certainly will not be the first time.” She then shrugged, and looked back at Naera.

That same calm demeanor didn’t tall Kal what the other women was more comfortable with. Best to let her decide, since it really didn’t matter to Kal. Either way, she was not going to press. As much as she like successful trades (and finding rare texts in the process), she was always more interested in making friends and contacts. If it was nothing more than business transactions, her brother would have come instead.

“Either way, I do thank you – it appears I could have spoken with someone far less interested in being helpful to an outsider.”

C'nor: If you would like, we can time skip until after the hanging. (I currently have a small reaction set for after our characters part ways at the bookseller, so we could pick up at night if you would like. Let me know if you would like to do that, and I can post that blurb.) -- Are we the only ones who are interested in roleplaying interactions? Just wondering.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds good to me, Kal. And I think Plans may have posted something a ways back, but I'm not sure.

(Of course, &we's posts are always roleplaying, but that's because their persona on the forums is of a gesalt identity, so they're sort of RPing directly with the players.)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

I did a solo rp piece, yes. Don't mind roleplaying at all, just don't have any specific ideas I want to initiate. Would love to pick up one with someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'd offer, but A, I want to give other people a chance, and B, I rather doubt Count Dingdong wants his town turned into a mental institution, and the other people I would bring in are a highly paranoid person with hallucinatory relivings or a pyromaniac with no sense of self-preservation who thinks she can talk to the wind.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

planswalker: for my part, I would say pop on in at any point. the more people rp-ing, the more interesting it can get. I am fleshing my character as I go, so....

c'nor: 1- those characters sound like fun, but I can see what you are saying. 2-I figured that we didn't get that drink, so....

Kal smiled affably at the old man across the small counter. Although today was only a small exchange of common books between them, she knew that there would be many days before they could discuss the more rare texts. The shopkeep was sharp, and was in the better position here. Kal knew she was merely the first trader to venture here. If things could be worked out, many more would arrive to bargain in the coming months. And until then, the man could wait and continue to acquire. Sadly, all the murders made acquisition even easier, as family members gave away or sold off items whose wealth was not readily apparent. Books were one such commodity, and as an outsider Kal knew she would have to tred lightly even if she happened across such a deal. People here were weary of her.

She pushed open the door open and began walking across the town square. The gathering of people she had heard through the shop windows was still there, despite the fact that the merchant had chosen to continue their discussions when the crowd first appeared. It was oddly quiet, especially for a group this size. As Kal neared the gallows, she caught the gruesome sight: Naera. Her pale face unmistakable. Kal’s breath caught in her throat, her eyes unable to look away from the body that swung lazily in the light wind that blew through the square.

The crowd began to disperse. Kal looked around at the various people speaking softly, discussing the death. They appeared more accepting than Kal felt. Was this what she had gotten herself into? That death could happen so indiscriminately it didn’t even garner so much as a single shout? No call to find out who had done this and why? It’s not like Naera had been arrested, tried, then finally hung in the space of her discussion. The merchant hadn’t even been hostile to her at the shop. If anything, she herself had received a more weary welcome into the establishment! So why was Naera dead?

Kal felt her eyes begin to burn, and she tore her eyes away from the site. Taking a deep breath, she moved away with the rest of the crowd, walking towards the tavern. It was attached to the inn, and heavens knew she needed the escape sleep would bring. A pint, a plate, and perhaps some gossip would yield more information, but she needed first some quiet time to center her own thoughts.

“A room for several days,” she told the man behind the bar. Ignoring his carefully guarded look, Kal approached the women he indicated could help her. Kal followed the older women obediently after exchanging a handful of gold for a key. Being lead up the stairs, she was let into a small room where Kal stored her possessions before heading down to the tavern for sustenance.

Kal sat at a table in the center of the room. She listened intently to the conversations around her, her head bowed over her supper. Although the speculation was wild, there were several salient points that kept being repeated. Her mind reviewed as she ate:

1- the murders began with the opening of the town gate, at night, beginning with the mayor. (Well, that explains the paranoia, and the gallows – hopefully they would catch the culprit soon.)
    2- this means that the deaths had to be due to outside influences. (Maybe. It is the simplest, but it seems like a convenient excuse for those actually responsible. After all, unless someone knew he had planned to open the gates ahead of time, an outsider would not have been in position to do the dead. More likely, it seems that someone locally had to plan at least some this. Otherwise it would have taken time to reach the town to murder the man. So there had to be at least one insider involved.)
    3- the town was reacting by accusing each other. (So obviously not everyone thought it had to be outsiders. But that plays into the killers hands, as it muddies the waters. Are the victims of the lynch due to the town or orchestrated by the murderers?)
    4- where did Naera fall into this?
    5- and how likely is it that I will soon follow her?
    Last edited by Kalrany; 2012-10-14 at 05:13 PM. Reason: caps
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

The face man for the masons saw the new girl who entered town. She seemed to be bewildered by everything. He waited a few moments after she walked into the tavern before following.

He pulls up beside her on the table and adjusts the white mason mask he wears.

"Welcome to the village." He says simply.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Superdark sounds like a fine lynch candidate.
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Hunterkin did not die easily. Even when they were in as poor shape as Naera was, hanging was hardly guaranteed to work, the unnatural strength of their bones preventing their necks from snapping unless they were weighted, and, barring extraordinary circumstances, their neck muscles were strong enough to prevent them from suffocating while they waited to be cut down.

They could also enter a state of feigned death and let their bodies grow cold, breathing and hearbeat shallow enough to fool skilled examiners, as Naera had done today.

Though it seemed that, to add yet more realism to her act, it was convincing enough to entice the crows to begin feasting on her, though she uttered not a sound as they tore strips of flesh from her face, her training, despite how broken her mind was, holding well enough to allow her to ignore the pain, even when they pecked out her eyes, for they had tried to kill her once already today, and she would not give them another chance so easily.

Tonight when the rest were asleep, she would, if she had not been cut down by then, change her hands and sever the rope around her neck, then follow the newcomer's scent to wherever she was staying, and get what aid Kal could offer. But until then, she would simply hang there, pretending to be a corpse, so that it could remain an act.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    Kal looked up at the man who suddenly sat in front of her, breaking her out of her mental dialogue. Not that she was getting very far -- she knew too little for her comfort. Her eyes were drawn to the mask the man wore. The white shell covered his features, but it was unnerving. The conversations around her did not change in pitch or volume, and when she concentrated for a moment, nor did the content. So this mask was accepted as a norm. All right.

She sat up straighter, attempting to see the man’s eyes, but the shadows of the tavern only added to the ones the mask and tilt of his head created – indeed there was little given away to any form of an identity that she could see. Anonymous. Lovely.

Kal smiled politely and set aside her spoon. She offered her hand to the unknown man, looking him over for a sense of a person behind the mask “Thank you. What can I do for you?”

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"You have that backwards, miss. What can I do for you? I've never seen you around before, and so I assume you're new in town. We've had a lot of unrest recently, and I'd love to be able to help you understand what's going on. You can call me the face man. Everyone does."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

"..."

The irony of the name did not escape her notice. “Well, unless you are interesting in purchasing or selling books, I am not sure how much you can help me. I spoke with the bookshop owner just off the square earlier today, and I was under the impression he was the primary individual in town to do either. I am, of course, always willing an interested in privet transactions.”

She laced her fingers above her supper. “As for what is happening around here, I would be willing to hear any information that you could give. It was… unnerving… to see the first person whom I spoke with in town hung mere hours after our conversation. And to so little comment from the rest of the populous no less… So please, Mr. Face Man, what is going on?”

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"The honest truth is that you have just arrived in a town under siege. A darkness had been gathering around this town for a long time, and it struck out recently. It took out the mayor, and the lines of communication were shattered. The masons have lost contact with the communication network. The darkness has infiltrated our informants and people die day and night. As a mason, I have stepped out of the shadows to try to take charge and reign in the paranoia. So far, all I've managed to do is direct it against those that I suspect of being involved in the darkness. There are not many fallen to the darkness, but they are killing, and killing quickly.

If you can help us find the evil plaguing this town, it would be appreciated. The sooner we root out this evil, the sooner sanity can be returned.
    "

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

"..."
    Kal carefully watched the man as he spoke. The figure appeared controlled, yet she seemed to see a tenseness that implied nervousness. Well, that makes sense. If he has spoken up to lead others, then it stood to reason he was a possible target. And his explanation dovetailed what she had heard thus far, although the idea that communication was lost had not come up yet. It did make sense, however. These Masons were apparently anonymous, to the town, and it seemed like each other. If the Mayor was the nexus, then it would be hard to control suspicion, and little chance of working through official means.

“So there is no Mayor right now? That does explain a lot.” She continued to turn the information in her head. So the keepers of the peace were floundering, unable to readily determine friend from foe. Presumably they were working their way through the town, trying to see who is trustworthy and who is not, while at the same time the rest fall to paranoia or the killing thrust. All the while, the newly-awakened darkness spreads. The very thought causes a chill to spread down her spine.

“I have no problem helping if I can, but as you stated yourself, I am new to town. I don’t know what I can do to help you.”

Kal pressed her hands flat to the table. She needed to know one more thing before she accepted his man as honest enough. “How do you direct it? I assume the gallows are your work then? Or is that another arm of the darkness?”

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

"The leader of my order orchestrated the gallows. We hung an infiltrator day before last, and, to my shame, an innocent woman today."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

"..."

“I see,” and truly, Kal did. The man’s voice seemed regretful as he spoke of Naera’s hanging. Perhaps this Face Man would prove to be as honest as he seems, but it was hard to make such a judgment when she could not see the man. Still, even that was logical as he would need some protection if there was little way to determine friend from foe. She nodded, relaxing some to lean back against her chair back. “I thank you for your efforts, then. I am all for restoring sanity, but I am still not sure what I can do to help, to be honest. I have spoken to only a handful of people today, and know no one, really. What are you considering that I can contribute?”

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    So anyone who follows the vote of the guy who we know isn't a wolf and knows at least one or two other people who aren't wolves and is probably in contact with the seer by now....is a wolf? I don't see how that works.
    Mind you, while it doesn't mean you're a wolf, it also doesn't necessarily mean you're cleared either (I know you didn't say that, but I think it's good to not forget that/keep that in mind).

I also dislike voting just because Superdark is annoying, so I'll go for Grue Bait, for being one of the people ganging up on him. Not much reason besides that, though.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    “I see,” and truly, Kal did. The man’s voice seemed regretful as he spoke of Naera’s hanging. Perhaps this Face Man would prove to be as honest as he seems, but it was hard to make such a judgment when she could not see the man. Still, even that was logical as he would need some protection if there was little way to determine friend from foe. She nodded, relaxing some to lean back against her chair back. “I thank you for your efforts, then. I am all for restoring sanity, but I am still not sure what I can do to help, to be honest. I have spoken to only a handful of people today, and know no one, really. What are you considering that I can contribute?”
    "The advantage is that you do not know anyone. Keep your eyes and ears out. Look at people, listen. If you see someone that does not ring true, someone who does not seem to have the village's welfare at heart, tell me. I am too close to this situation to see it clearly."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

"..."

Kal nodded. “All right. I will keep that in mind. Should I need to contact you, is there a person whith whom I should leave notice? Or are you around often?”

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not called the face man for nothing. I am rather highly visible."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm not called the face man for nothing. I am rather highly visible."
    She smiled, amused. “Fair enough. My name is Kal, and I am staying here for the foreseeable future, if you need me again. I will do what I would do anyway, which is listen, so no worries.” She picked up her spoon again, and offered, “If you would like, you can join me for supper, but I need to finish and get some sleep. It was a long day on the road and I am frankly worn out.”

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

"Sadly, I must decline. I should have the decency to at least attend the execution of the man I called out for death today."

Just as he's leaving, the woman can overhear him saying "This is all wrong. How did I end up as judge?"

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kal watched the man as he left. Average build, though perhaps slightly above average height, he slipped past a server and out into the night. A judge? Huh, that put an interesting spin on the conversation. Masons, guardsmen, watch, militia, armsmen, peacekeepers: so many names for the same activity. From his comment, the man appeared to have recently risen to the post of Judge. A leader of some form within these Masons? It seems so, although it was certainly odd that an execution would be held so late in the day… She sighed softly as she finished her supper. So many questions.

And it was unlikely to receive anymore answers today. Briefly glancing around the room, she tried to determine if any attitudes toward her had changed due to that impromptu discussion. There was a slim figure in the corner, that was either deeply in thought or paying close attention to the entire room, it was hard to tell. Perhaps the man facing him (or her, perhaps) was frowning deeply at any who caught his eye, but was it deeper than before? The server replaced her glass with a fresh pint, and she seemed to have thawed a bit towards Kal from her earlier reserved attitude. Maybe. Perhaps.

Perhaps not, she thought with another sigh. No one else seemed interested in directly engaging her, and there was little to gauge the response of the tavern to the Face Man or who he spoke with. Kal made note of a few others whose gaze felt different: a short man with a scare across his nose and a women with a short boyish haircut both met her look with more relaxed expressions, while an older gentlemen with silverhair in an expensive traveling cloak glared even more intensely at her than when she first entered the room. The rest seemed either oblivious or uncaring, ignoring the newcomer in their wake to continue gossiping.

She soon had enough of the repetitive buzzing, and returned to her room for the evening. As she sat by the window, brushing out her hair for the night, she let her mind wonder. Thankfully, the gallows with its depressing adornment was not visible. Kal admitted to herself, she liked the reserved women, and hoped that her body would be returned to whatever family she had. Kal sighed deeply and began twisting her hair for sleep. “What did I get myself into?” she muttered under her breath.

Suddenly, she caught a glimpse of movement at the periphery of her vision. Still working on her hair, she canted her head for a better view of the alley behind the inn. To one end, a broad, hunched over figure stepped lightly from a back threshold and down the alleyway towards the town square. She watched the figure hurry out of sight, and on impulse looked up and down the alley and what she could see into the valleys between the buildings. At the other end, a smaller shadow paused for a moment, then slipped between two buildings. Kal watched the spot where figure had ducked into the shadows, but it did not return. She did see, however, three other shadows of varying height slip out from behind one of the other buildings parting quickly and silently in different directions. Cloaks concealed their builds and the night all other distinguishing features.

“Now what are you all up to?” she whispered under her breath. “And what have you done?”
    Last edited by Kalrany; 2012-10-15 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    (Of course, &we's posts are always roleplaying, but that's because their persona on the forums is of a gesalt identity, so they're sort of RPing directly with the players.)
    True as that may be, we wouldn't mind being part of in-game RP, if we ever have the space to be a continued part of it (Time isn't very nice currently).
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Day 4

In dark of night, unnoticed through all the confusion, man sneaks into town. He holds some gadget, sort of gun, as he finds a place to hide. Place to plan. Morning finds him in an apartment, hidden in shadow and looking over town. Cruel smile on his lips as he watches events unfold. In far-off building, alarm rings and Youth turns to Elder. "The Other has arrived. Let's hope this isn't another false alarm. Shall I begin looking?" and Elder simply nods assent.

Another notable newcomer, Legislator arrives. Protected by bodyguards, he comes to bring order to the town. He makes a public vow to find the cause of these killings and get rid of them once and for all. Whether that will happen or not, none can say. Whatever the case, he neither backs nor degrades either candidate for mayor.

Despite recruits last night, numerous deaths provoke outcry. They target the Advisor mainly: "You said this was over and done with!" "Wasn't the Devil supposed to be the end of it? Now there's multiple killings at night and one blatantly during the day!" "You're supposed to protect this town, not kill it!" and the Candidate takes this opportunity to be rid of his opposition: "This man has been the core of everything. He must be stopped at all costs! Sure, he'll try to defend himself, but they're all lies! He must be stopped today!"

To the Advisor's protests, he is carried to the gallows where the Executioner waits. Due to yesterday's... unexpected death, the gallows have been dismantled, leaving the Executioner in charge of beheading the accused, role he takes up most gladly. The deed is done, and Advisor is gone. With villagers appeased, Candidate is elected Mayor by default. Villagers go to sleep glad to be finally rid of those troubled thoughts.

In shadows, glaring onlooker watches execution, spitting on the ground before heading to Advisor's office for much-needed items. He inherits Advisor's position, Successor if you will, taking lead in deaths overnight. The Reformers have greater motivation and anger. Night will not pass in silence...

Spoiler
    Show
    super dark33, the Advisor was executed. He was the Alpha.
    One Clueless Newcomer assumes her role.
    Lex-Kat can choose a new spot as a Clueless Newcomer Tonight!
    C'nor can choose a new spot as a Clueless Newcomer on Day 5
    Penguinator can choose a new spot as a Clueless Newcomer on Night 5
    super dark33 can choose a new spot as a Clueless Newcomer on Day 6

Player List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Living Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ## Player Name
    1 usourselves&we
    4 Gray Mage
    6 TigerFang
    7 Ramsus
    8 Grue Bait
    9 Zar Peter
    11 planswalker
    12 Eternis
    13 Matthias2207
    15 TBFProgrammer
    27 Tom the Mime
    31 Devmaar
    35 Kalrany
    42 gunnar11
    50 bladescape

Night 4 begins
    ...and will end in 24 hours

Call for any onlookers to be Clueless Newcomers!

Due to popular demand (and lack of an opponent), there is now a Mayor role. Vote everyday for it! Candidate was elected Mayor today, but that role is flexible: anyone can take it, and who has it can change from day to day. What it does, find out for yourselves.

Missed 1 Day
    Matthias2207
    bladescape
    Last edited by Count Dingdong; 2014-08-06 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Fixing tables

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Wow. I wasn't actually expecting SuperDark to turn out to be a wolf. Guess that shows how good the old grammar mutilation strategy works.

Edit: Oh right, as your new Mayor I should give a speech.

Free candy for everyone! That is all.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2012-10-15 at 12:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

if he gets frequently lynched regardless, it doesn't actually work all that well...

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that was the joke.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Here's reminder to put in night actions! Last night saw some missed actions...

Also, reminder to Lex-Kat that she can rejoin if she wishes now.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Still missing 4 actions. If want to help your team, get them in.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Night 4

We begin in late night in Society, where the Founder addresses his newly increased following: "I'm glad to see all of you here, but it would appear you are no longer needed for investigation. The Advisor was the man behind it all, as the Network recently discovered. However, we would be glad to enlist your help with rebuilding th-" At that precise moment, gunshot is heard, and Member falls down. In ensuing chaos, two more shots ring out, and one Body falls to floor. Society disperses into the night in panic.

Rewinding time, we see the Successor, hidden by shadow and holding a book. He talks to Subordinate, who responds in kind: "The preparations are complete. I've successfully infiltrated, and they seem to believe everything's over and done. Tonight would be the perfect chance for attack. You have the place." Successor nods to this, and Subordinate bows before rushing off to meeting, seen earlier but yet to happen. Successor taps his finger against back of book, musing, deciding who to kill. A spark of inspiration, and Sniper is sent to task.

Separately, Network puts new Recruits to their tasks. People scurry around town in darkness, finding who is where, where they go, anything they can about everyone. Others stay back, piecing together information. They study tomes and become learned in psychology surrounding town's actions. Past events give hints to truth, but little is revealed. Each piece gives slight picture of puzzle though, and eventually, all will be revealed. Who's right? Why fight? What was their reasoning for these deaths? This Careless Village still had much to learn.

Not much goes on tonight but random kills, maybe some successfully protected, maybe not. Either way, day dawns on town still in chaos. They search for new culprits, for whomever they can.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Society Member died, but he was none of you.
    Some Body was shot. However, he was none of you.
    C'nor can choose a new spot as a Clueless Newcomer Today!
    Penguinator can choose a new spot as a Clueless Newcomer on Night 5
    super dark33 can choose a new spot as a Clueless Newcomer on Day 6

Player List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Living Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ## Player Name
    1 usourselves&we
    4 Gray Mage
    6 TigerFang
    7 Ramsus
    8 Grue Bait
    9 Zar Peter
    11 planswalker
    12 Eternis
    13 Matthias2207
    15 TBFProgrammer
    27 Tom the Mime
    31 Devmaar
    35 Kalrany
    42 gunnar11
    50 bladescape

Day 5 begins
    ...and will end in 48 hours

Call for any onlookers to be Clueless Newcomers!

Due to popular demand (and lack of an opponent), there is now a Mayor role. Vote everyday for it! Candidate was elected Mayor today, but that role is flexible: anyone can take it, and who has it can change from day to day. What it does, find out for yourselves.

Missed 1 Day
    Matthias2207
    bladescape
    Last edited by Count Dingdong; 2014-08-06 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Fixing tables