New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5 PrC] Livewood Daughter (Dryad PrC) PEACH

Livewood Daughter

Metagame notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This prestige class requires the dryad to be bound to a livewood tree, which were introduced in the Eberron campaign setting, so using this prestige class outside of Eberron will require importing livewood as well. It also doesn't particularly mesh well with the dryad as presented in the Monster Manual, since (among other things) the MM Dryad has an excessive number of RHD and its abilities don't scale well. The Livewood Daughter was designed with this monster class in mind.

Image by maxwindy
    Oh, that wasn't my tree. You'll pay for cutting it down, though.

Unable to travel more than a few hundred yards from their bound tree, dryads generally make poor adventurers. Some, however, make their homes in livewood trees, which stay alive after being felled. These not infrequently take advantage of their freedom to wreak vengeance on the woodcutters that would dare harm her home, and then, now permanently homeless, take up wandering to ensure no other dryads have this fate befall them.

These are the livewood daughters. By shaping the wood from their tree into a magic item, they learn magics to keep it at their side at all times and protect it from those who might steal or destroy it.

Hitdie
    d6.

Requirements
    To qualify to become a livewood daughter, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Race
    Dryad.

Skills
    Craft (carpentry or woodworking) 5, Knowledge (nature) 10.

Feats
    Craft Wondrous Item or Craft Magic Arms and Armor.

Special
    Must be bound to a livewood tree (see Eberron Campaign Setting p. 126) that has been felled. Must possess a magic weapon, magic armor, or permanent wondrous item you created from the wood of your bound livewood tree worth at least 10,000 GP.

Table: The Livewood Daughter
    Level Base Attack
    Bonus
    Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Spells
    1st
    +0
    +2
    +0
    +2
    Livewood fetish, enchant fetish, retrieve fetish (100 ft.), sense fetish (locate) -
    2nd
    +1
    +3
    +0
    +3
    Fetish spell affinity (extend), root infiltration +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    3rd
    +2
    +3
    +1
    +3
    Protect fetish +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    4th
    +3
    +4
    +1
    +4
    Retrieve fetish (100 miles), sense fetish (locate across planes) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    5th
    +3
    +4
    +1
    +4
    Fetish spell affinity (empower, maximize), sense fetish (scry) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    6th
    +4
    +5
    +2
    +5
    Animate fetish +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    7th
    +5
    +5
    +2
    +5
    Retrieve fetish (unlimited) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    8th
    +6
    +6
    +2
    +6
    Fetish spell affinity (quicken) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    9th
    +6
    +6
    +3
    +6
    Sense fetish (scry across planes) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    10th
    +7
    +7
    +3
    +7
    Fetish spell affinity (retrieve spell), retrieve fetish (across planes) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Craft (any), Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival

Class Features
    All of the following are Class Features of the livewood daughter prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    Livewood daughters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known
    When a new livewood daughter level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a livewood daughter, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Livewood Fetish (Ex)
    A livewood daughter is bound to a particular piece of her livewood tree that she has carved and crafted into a magic item. When she first enters the class, she chooses a magic armor, magic weapon, or permanent wondrous item worth at least 10,000 gp she crafted from the wood of her bound livewood tree to be her fetish. From this point on she is tree dependant on this item alone.

A livewood fetish is stronger and more durable than most magic items made of wood. It benefits from a permanent ironwood effect. This cannot be dispelled, but it can be suppressed like any other magic item's properties. In addition, if it is destroyed (reduced to 0 hit points or fewer) a livewood fetish can be repaired by casting plant growth. This repair takes 1d6 minutes in bright light, 1d6 x 10 minutes in dim light, and 1d12 x 10 minutes in complete darkness.

If a livewood daughter's fetish is destroyed, she must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be immediately nauseated for 1d4 + 1 rounds and sickened for 1d10 hours thereafter. If she succeeds on the save she is merely sickened for 1d10 hours. Regardless of whether she succeeds on the save, she begins to grow ill and die as though she had left her tree unless the fetish is repaired. The nausea and sickening can be removed by repairing the fetish, but not in any other way, and they cannot be avoided or negated.

A livewood fetish grows branches and leaves if it is the target of a plant growth spell. These wither and die after 1 hour per caster level.

Enchant Fetish (Su)
    A livewood daughter's connection to her fetish allows her to awaken the magic latent in its wood. At any time, she may retreat to a natural location and spend time in prayer in order to awaken the natural magic in her fetish. This requires a sacrifice of valuable items worth the difference between the market price of the magic item her fetish will become and the market price of her current fetish. This sacrifice does not have to be gold—she can sacrifice magic items or other goods worth the required amount, rather than selling your goods (at half value) to pay for the sacrifice. She must spend 1 day per 1,000 gp value she sacrifices. During this time, she must spend at least 8 hours each day in prayer or meditation, not stopping to eat or rest. A livewood daughter may not change her fetish's body slot in this way, nor the base type of armor or weapon it is (though wood shape may be able to).

A livewood daughter's class level and HD dictate the maximum value of her fetish, as shown in Table: Enchant Fetish.

Table: Enchant Fetish
    Livewood
    Daughter Level
    HD Maximum Fetish
    Value
    1 8 13,500 gp
    2 9 18,000 gp
    3 10 24,500 gp
    4 11 33,000 gp
    5 13 55,000 gp
    6 14 75,000 gp
    7 16 130,000 gp
    8 17 170,000 gp
    9 19 290,000 gp
    10 20 380,000 gp

Retrieve Fetish (Su)
    At 1st level a livewood daughter gains the ability to call her fetish to hand as a move action so long as it is within 100 ft of her. At 4th level she can call her fetish to hand as a full-round action so long as it is within 100 miles of her. At 7th level she can spend one minute concentrating (as the skill) to call her fetish regardless of the distance between it and her, so long as it remains on the same plane. At 10th level she can spend 10 minutes concentrating to retrieve her fetish from another plane.

Sense Fetish (Su)
    A 1st level a livewood daughter can determine the direction and approximate distance to her livewood fetish as a free action so long as it is on the same plane as she is. At 4th level she additionally gains the ability to sense which plane it is on. Upon reaching 5th level, a livewood daughter can spend 10 minutes concentrating (as the skill) to scry on her fetish so long as it is on the same plane as she is. This functions as the scrying spell, except that you require no focus and the fetish receives no Will save to negate the attempt. At 9th level she can scry on her fetish regardless of which plane it is on.

Fetish Spell Affinity (Ex)
    A livewood fetish is strangely receptive to magic cast by its owner. Starting at 2nd level, any spells a livewood daughter casts on her fetish are automatically extended as though affected with the Extend Spell feat. At 5th level, any spells she casts on her fetish are additionally automatically empowered and maximized as though affected with the Empower Spell and Maximize Spell feats. At 8th level any spells a livewood daughter casts on her fetish are automatically quickened as though affected with the Quicken Spell feat. This ability does not change a spell's ability or slot, nor does it change its casting time.

In addition, when a 10th level livewood daughter casts a spell on her fetish, she may make a Spellcraft check against a DC of 10 + 2 x spell level. If she succeeds, she retains the spell as though she had not cast it. She can use this ability a number of times per day equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).

Root Infiltration (Su)
    Once per day, a 2nd level livewood daughter can cause her fetish to grow roots into her skin as a move action, creating a symbiotic connection between her and the fetish. This connection takes effect at the beginning of her next turn and lasts for one hour per level.

If her fetish is a weapon, she cannot be disarmed, and she gains +1 to attack and +2 to damage with her fetish. At 6th level this increases to +2 and +3, and at 10th level to +3 and +4. If her fetish is a piece of armor, she gains light fortification. At 6th level this increases to medium fortification, and at 10th level to heavy fortification. If her fetish is a wondrous item, she gains a +3 bonus on all skill and ability checks. At 6th level this increases to +6 and at 10th level to +9.

In addition, regardless of what type of item her fetish is, she gains fast healing 1 so long as it has leaves from a casting of plant growth and it is not in complete darkness or covered. This increases to fast healing 2 at 6th level and fast healing 3 at 10th level.

Protect Fetish (Sp)
    A 3rd level livewood daughter can use greater glyph of warding as a spell-like ability, though targeted only on her fetish. Her caster level is equal to twice her class level.

Animate Fetish (Sp)
    At 6th level a livewood daughter gains the ability to animate her fetish. This ability functions as the changestaff spell, cast at a caster level equal to her class level with the following exceptions. Her fetish is the focus for the spell rather than a staff, and if she is wearing her fetish she can use this ability wihout taking it off. If the fetish-treant is destroyed (reduced to 0 hit points), so is the fetish, though it can be repaired using plant growth as usual. When the ability duration expires, the fetish returns to her hand (or her body, if the livewood daughter was wearing it when she used the ability).
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2014-06-28 at 06:05 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: [3.5 PrC] Livewood Daughter (Dryad PrC) PEACH

What correlation between HD and Level is there in the chart for Enchant Fetish Table? Also if the cost is 1000gp per day how do you get 9,500 gp for Level 1? I think it should be the MINIMUM cost not the maximum cost as no one would want to spend maximum cost when they can do it for cheaper.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

You do know the PrC contest requires you to not have the class in question posted elsewhere, even in these forums, right?

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I rejiggered the Enchant Fetish chart a bit to fix the fact that at level 1 you couldn't actually enchant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    What correlation between HD and Level is there in the chart for Enchant Fetish Table? Also if the cost is 1000gp per day how do you get 9,500 gp for Level 1? I think it should be the MINIMUM cost not the maximum cost as no one would want to spend maximum cost when they can do it for cheaper.

Debby
    There really isn't a correlation. It's just a matter of making sure that the character doesn't have a fetish worth twice as much as they'd normally have invested in a single item. I'm not sure I understand the second question. Could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    You do know the PrC contest requires you to not have the class in question posted elsewhere, even in these forums, right?
    Yes, as I explained in the chat thread, as I finished I realized that this doesn't meet the contest guidelines quite well enough (the fetish is not a specific magic item), so I'm going to submit a different class for the contest. I just haven't had the time to edit the post in the contest thread.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I bolded the correction. The minimum cost for a level 1 should be 1,000 gp not 10,000 gp. It should match the chart. Of course she can spend more but you haven't exactly mentioned how that works.
    Ah, okay. I see where I wasn't clear/you were confused. The fetish is a pre-existing magic item you crafted from livewood that must be worth at least 10,000 gp before you enter the class. Then, by sacrificing treasure you can improve it without expending XP or having to buy special materials. So say you entered the class having crafted a Trident of Warning from your livewood tree. You could then spend time and treasure to upgrade it to a +3 Trident of Warning by spending 10,000 gp, or remove the warning property and instead make it a +3 Aberration Bane Trident by spending 22,000 gp, etc.

That's why it's a maximum value rather than a minimum.

* Awakening a latent talent" is not enchanting an item. To enchant an item you would actually have to cast a spell from the Enchantment school on it. There is nothing supernatural in what is being done. Also, this should be an Ex not Su ability.

**Does she get to use the bathroom in 8 hours cause that would be embarrassing.
    "Enchant" isn't a reserved term, and it's commonly used to refer to bestowing magic properties on an item. It is definitely Su, since you're transfering magical energies to the fetish. Ex is nonmagical.

And yes, a livewood daughter can perform other necessary body functions, just not eating or resting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Actually "enchant" is a reserved term in 3.5. An enchantment is a spell from the Enchantment school. That is why magic items have "enhancements" not "enchantments." It avoids confusion.

I now see where you noted that the dryad has to have a magic item made from her tree in order to take this class.

Does she lose her tree dependency on her tree and transfer her dependency onto her fetish? If that is the case, you need to reword that to make it clearer. Maybe she should gain Fetish Item Dependency in its place.

I deleted my previous posts since I could not edit them.

Anyhow, now it makes a lot more sense.

Still, your chart is messed up. Get rid of numbers ending in 500. She has to invest an even 1,000 gp per day. She can enter this class at 7th level.

I still don't quite get why she has to "enchant" her already magical item. You have a copypasta error when you refer to her fetish as an "ancestral relic." I see where you copied/modified your text from the Ancestral Relic Feat. Bad idea. You already start with a magic item so you can't follow the pattern from that feat. In that feat, you start with a masterwork item. This is where you went astray. None of it applies to an item that is already a magical item. There isn't "latent" magical item as her fetish is already a magical item. This ability doesn't do what you want it to do. If you said it allowed her to change her magical fetish into a different magical fetish, then it might make sense. As it stands, this ability does nothing. You actually have to add the part where it says that this ability allows you to increase the power of your fetish and then you have to show how to do it.

This is the part of the text that explain how it works for an Ancestral Relic:

When she emerges, her devotion has awakened the magic inherent in the blade, making it a +1 bastard sword. When she reaches 7th level, she once again retreats to the temple for 6 days, sacrificing items worth an additional 6,000 gp to make her weapon a +2 bastard sword (market price 8,000 gp). When she reaches 11th level, she can make it a +2 holy bastard sword by making sacrifices worth 24,000 gp (the difference between 32,000 and 8,000 gp) and spending 24 days in prayer. A character's level dictates the maximum value of his or her ancestral relic, as shown in Table 4-2. No character may have more than one ancestral relic.
    You can't use that text as is because you cannot use livewood to make a bastard sword. You can only use livewood to make items that have wooden parts (See Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 125).

Here is how it should look:

Empower Fetish (Su): A livewood daughter's connection to her fetish allows her to empower the magic in its wood. At any time, she may retreat to a natural location and spend time in meditation in order to increase the natural magic in her fetish. This requires a sacrifice of valuable items worth the difference between the market price of the magic item her fetish will become and the market price of her current fetish.

This sacrifice does not have to be gold—she can sacrifice magic items or other goods worth the required amount, rather than selling her goods (at half value) to pay for the sacrifice. She must spend 1 day per 1,000 gp value she sacrifices. During this time, she must spend at least 8 hours each day in prayer or meditation, not stopping to eat or rest. A livewood daughter may not change her fetish's body slot in this way, nor the base type of armor or weapon it is (though wood shape may be able to)..

When she emerges, her devotion has empowered magic inherent in her fetish. She can increase the enhancement bonus of her fetish in this way or she could add another magical effect as long as she spends the time and makes the appropriate sacrifice.

A livewood daughter's class level dictates the maximum value of his or her fetish, as shown in Table: Empower Fetish. She may not have more than one fetish at a time.

Table: Empower Fetish
    {table]Livewood Daughter Level|Maximum Fetish Value
    1|14,000 gp
    2|18,000 gp
    3|24,500 gp
    4|33,000 gp
    5|55,000 gp
    6|75,000 gp
    7|130,000 gp
    8|170,000 gp
    9|290,000 gp
    10|380,000 gp[/table]

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-08-26 at 05:30 AM. Reason: STUPID WHITE SPACE!!!!!!!
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The last entry on the Enchant Fetish table lost a 0.

Fetish Spell Affinity seems kind of specific and off, especially where Quicken is involved, as it's immediately followed by how spell casting time isn't changed. May wish to correct that. Also, I can't think of a lot of buffs that would benefit an item from Empower and Maximize. Extend and Quicken, certainly.

It's also kind of odd that this is so castery yet requires no casting (Stoneblessed/Battlesmith!), which is weird in its own way.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Does she lose her tree dependency on her tree and transfer her dependency onto her fetish? If that is the case, you need to reword that to make it clearer. Maybe she should gain Fetish Item Dependency in its place.
    The Livewood Fetish ability specifically says "From this point on she is tree dependant on this item alone."

Still, your chart is messed up. Get rid of numbers ending in 500. She has to invest an even 1,000 gp per day. She can enter this class at 7th level.
    No, she has to spend one day per 1,000 change in value. So if her fetish were worth 10,500 originally and she brought it up to 13,000, she'd have to spend 3 days in meditation.

I still don't quite get why she has to "enchant" her already magical item. You have a copypasta error when you refer to her fetish as an "ancestral relic." I see where you copied/modified your text from the Ancestral Relic Feat. Bad idea. You already start with a magic item so you can't follow the pattern from that feat. In that feat, you start with a masterwork item. This is where you went astray. None of it applies to an item that is already a magical item. There isn't "latent" magical item as her fetish is already a magical item. This ability doesn't do what you want it to do. If you said it allowed her to change her magical fetish into a different magical fetish, then it might make sense. As it stands, this ability does nothing. You actually have to add the part where it says that this ability allows you to increase the power of your fetish and then you have to show how to do it.
    I disagree, but I'll keep thinking about a better way to phrase it.

You can't use that text as is because you cannot use livewood to make a bastard sword. You can only use livewood to make items that have wooden parts (See Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 125).
    The ironwood spell obviates that. A pinewood sword doesn't work as a weapon, unless you cast ironwood

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The last entry on the Enchant Fetish table lost a 0.
    Thanks, fixed

Fetish Spell Affinity seems kind of specific and off, especially where Quicken is involved, as it's immediately followed by how spell casting time isn't changed. May wish to correct that. Also, I can't think of a lot of buffs that would benefit an item from Empower and Maximize. Extend and Quicken, certainly.
    Yeah, I was originally going to make it a plain old metamagic reducer, but that didn't work quite the way that I wanted it to. I think I'm just going to replace it with a different ability.

It's also kind of odd that this is so castery yet requires no casting (Stoneblessed/Battlesmith!), which is weird in its own way.
    Not really. It requires at least a CL of 3 for Craft Wondrous Item. I just wanted to leave it open to warlocks, artificers, and partial casters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

"The Livewood Fetish ability specifically says "From this point on she is tree dependant on this item alone."

That is a rather badly phrased sentence. She becomes dependent on her fetish rather than on her tree and loses her Tree Dependent special ability and gains Fetish Dependent ability (you could even use the same language as Tree Dependent).

"The ironwood spell obviates that. A pinewood sword doesn't work as a weapon, unless you cast ironwood." The ironwood spell only works on normal wood . I'm not entirely convinced that livewood counts as normal wood for this purpose because it is listed as a "Special Material."

Debby

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

That is a rather badly phrased sentence. She becomes dependent on her fetish rather than on her tree and loses her Tree Dependent special ability and gains Fetish Dependent ability (you could even use the same language as Tree Dependent).
    No, because it's livewood, her fetish is her tree. This just makes it so that any other pieces of wood from her tree don't count any more.

The ironwood spell only works on normal wood
    There's nothing in the spell description to suggest that.

NM, just saw that clause. I think that's fluff text and you can still use the spell on special materials. Still, it doesn't matter since specific trumps general and the class, which is more specific than the spell, grants an ironwood effect to the fetish.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-08-27 at 04:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

As for an ironwood spell, a dryad would have to be an 11th level druid to cast it. That would mean she couldn't enter this class until she was 14th level (assuming the three levels of dryad she has to take).

What is she previously awakened her livewood tree? She'd only need to be a 9th level druid to do that. Would her fetish be considered awakened too?

Debby

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As for an ironwood spell, a dryad would have to be an 11th level druid to cast it. That would mean she couldn't enter this class until she was 14th level (assuming the three levels of dryad she has to take).
    You don't need to be able to cast ironwood to enter the class, even if you'd crafted a wood bastard sword. You just wouldn't be able to use it as a weapon until you took the first level in the class.

What is she previously awakened her livewood tree? She'd only need to be a 9th level druid to do that. Would her fetish be considered awakened too?
    That's DM fiat territory.