New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

I still want to know what happened to the rest of Durkon's 5th level spells.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I still want to know what happened to the rest of Durkon's 5th level spells.
    I'd surmise they went towards healing Belkar and Elan offpanel after their retreat from Malack's flame strike.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Where I get lost is in the "how many level 7 spells Durkon has cast". Some people say he has cast too many, others seem to explain it with a combination of domain and other stuff, maybe with high WIS, and another faction seem to insist that he must have used a level 8 slot for a level 7 spell. I don't know who is right, who is wrong, and who has accepted someone else's explanation.
    Let me try to clear things up.

A wisdom of 24 seems entirely reasonable for a 14th level cleric. +3 to a caster’s primary stat from levelling is a no-brainer, and the only reason not to have an item that adds +4 to your primary casting stat by then is if you have one that adds +6.

2 7th-level spell slots at level 14, plus one bonus from wisdom 24+, plus a domain spell, neatly covers the two Resurrections, one Malack’s Dismissable Death Ward, and Holy Word (a Good domain spell) that Durkon seems to have at his disposal during the search for Girard’s Gate.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Emmit Svenson View Post
    the only reason not to have an item that adds +4 to your primary casting stat by then is if you have one that adds +6.
    That entails assuming he has an item that has not been shown. Isn't that off-limits for the purposes of this thread?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #785

MindFlayer

How's this for an alternate explanation that doesn't assume a 24 WIS -

He said he had diamond dust for one more Rez. He didn't say he had it prepared at that time. Maybe he keeps an open slot or two at times, to adjust for circumstances, and was able to prepare another Rez if needed, but Roy chose otherwise. Since it wasn't necessary, he prepped the MDW instead.

It's weak, but not counter-indicated.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That entails assuming he has an item that has not been shown. Isn't that off-limits for the purposes of this thread?
    When I pointed out the "deflect" text in the 6th panel of Fun While it Lasted, we had never seen a ring which explicitly gives this bonus, yet a ring of protection became the currently listed source. Perhaps deflection is a special case, perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    How's this for an alternate explanation that doesn't assume a 24 WIS -

He said he had diamond dust for one more Rez. He didn't say he had it prepared at that time. Maybe he keeps an open slot or two at times, to adjust for circumstances, and was able to prepare another Rez if needed, but Roy chose otherwise. Since it wasn't necessary, he prepped the MDW instead.

It's weak, but not counter-indicated.
    An open slot might explain Durkon's choice of words when he is discussing the plan to use planar ally. "If we hold it 'til dawn, I can cast it five or six times inna row." I have lost track of the current time of day since they were last outside, but I still have the impression that not enough time has passed for the present hour to be the reason why he might cast it fewer times. He would have only needed to meditate for fifteen minutes to fill the slot with the spell before he began. Also, an empty slot would not have been able to be converted into a healing spell while fighting Malack.

However, why is dawn important? Is that when Durkon normally prepares spells? If the warlock's comment is to be taken more seriously, it may have been. He would need an hour of meditating if he didn't save anything which was already prepared in his spell slots.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2013-03-07 at 07:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Colossus in the Playground

Could one of the thread curators please edit a list of the current thread rules into the first or second post?

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Could one of the thread curators please edit a list of the current thread rules into the first or second post?
    Especially a mechanism to establish consensus, I think.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #789
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it used to be, until strips like 607 established that the Order has magic items that were never previously established as such. Things that have been there all along, and their magic-ness just never came up.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I think we can reasonably assume that the Order has numerical bonus-granting magic items appropriate for their level without needing them to be shown. That kind of thing is built into the basic math of the game. It's the special effect and, especially, manually activated magic items that shouldn't be assumed without solid evidence.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #791

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    I think we can reasonably assume that the Order has numerical bonus-granting magic items appropriate for their level without needing them to be shown. That kind of thing is built into the basic math of the game. It's the special effect and, especially, manually activated magic items that shouldn't be assumed without solid evidence.
    I don't think so. Extra spell slots can be obtained by:
    - preparing spells in a higher level slot (thus being higher level)
    - having items that grant bonus to spellcasting stat
    - having items that grant extra spell slots/restore spell slots
    - casting spells from scrolls/ using magic items that duplicate them

All the choices are equally possible, so we can't choose any single one.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Question Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Don't we know Belkar's DEX score in some earlier strips? I recall him stabbing MitD for several times, if that counts for some reason.

Also Durkon has drained him 3 times, Malack drained him 1 time only, can't we predict his CON score also?
    Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.

13. - Top - End - #793

I pray the thread curators are not going to get on board with "three slurp noises means Durkon drained Belkar's blood for exactly three rounds."

14. - Top - End - #794

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I pray the thread curators are not going to get on board with "three slurp noises means Durkon drained Belkar's blood for exactly three rounds."
    I'd go with "drained him for _at least_ three rounds". So Belkar's minimum Constitution is 5.

15. - Top - End - #795

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    I'd go with "drained him for _at least_ three rounds". So Belkar's minimum Constitution is 5.
    With eight levels drained, I'd rather it went to "drained to exactly 1 HP left" considering how far down he started.

16. - Top - End - #796

I think Belkar's strength is exactly 17.

In "Strips" he wasn't able to carry something that was "at least 200 pounds", and they mentioned it was because he was small and thus at 3/4ths.

With a 17 strength, his max load is 195. Any higher and he'd be able to lift more than 200 pounds.

This was really significant since it was obvious everyone was actually doing the math to see what he could and couldn't lift.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm

EDIT: And from the picture, a lump of metal bigger than Roy is going to weigh far more than 200 lbs, so they weren't talking about how much he was holding, but rather how much he could lift.
    Last edited by Dark Matter; 2013-03-09 at 05:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwind View Post
    Also Durkon has drained him 3 times, Malack drained him 1 time only, can't we predict his CON score also?
    We saw Malack drain Belkar once, but the MDW came the strip after and there was no indication on how much time passed beetween the two. He could have drained him a few more rounds before Durkon's intervention, but wasn't shown because having another pannel showing Malack quietly draining Belkar before Durkon casting in would be both tedious and a "waste" of a pannel.

18. - Top - End - #798

SamuraiGuy

Since i don't have the time to skim for it, whats the estimate of Vaarsuvius's level, given the familicide incident? Any idea how that even corresponds to her normal level?

19. - Top - End - #799
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Familicide is irrelevant has she was soul spliced at the time. The spell wasn't her to begin with and doesn't provide any data regarding her level. And you don't need to read all of the thread for her estimated level, just the first post.

20. - Top - End - #800

SamuraiGuy

Thank you. On the other hand, they did make issue of dealing sufficient damage. One in 5 black dragons, not counting their descendant's, sounds like it to me.

21. - Top - End - #801

Quote Originally Posted by Rig View Post
    On the other hand, they did make issue of dealing sufficient damage.
    Please rephrase this sentence to include...actors, for one thing.

22. - Top - End - #802

SamuraiGuy

I need more detail. The cauldron of comprehensive metaphor yet bubbles.
    Last edited by Rig; 2013-03-10 at 04:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelune View Post
    Familicide is irrelevant has she was soul spliced at the time. The spell wasn't her to begin with and doesn't provide any data regarding her level. And you don't need to read all of the thread for her estimated level, just the first post.
    Agreed she had 3 Epics spliced so V's level was probably near 100.

24. - Top - End - #804

...this has probably been discussed before, but in the "Supercollider Web-Comic Mash-Up", V has "Summon Plot Hole". I know that Supercollider is almost certainly not canon, but then again, neither are the Dragon magazine comics, and those are used to determine possessions, so...

25. - Top - End - #805
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Silly question, but does roleplaying grant XP by OOTS rules? I remember Belkar once leveling up after making up some backstory near the start of the comic, but since it didn't really impact the plot at all (He was just a few points behind everyone else), I figured it might have just been a gag.

Spoiler
    Show
    I ask because I recently had the realization that both Tarquin and Xykon have put a lot of effort into acting like stereotypical, hammy villains. And that, given their personalities, they probably have a good reason for it.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Glass View Post
    Silly question, but does roleplaying grant XP by OOTS rules?
    Yes it does, but there is no reasonable way to tell how much XP a given act of roleplaying might grant.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    ...this has probably been discussed before, but in the "Supercollider Web-Comic Mash-Up", V has "Summon Plot Hole". I know that Supercollider is almost certainly not canon, but then again, neither are the Dragon magazine comics, and those are used to determine possessions, so...
    Could you link to this? I've never seen it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #808

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Could you link to this? I've never seen it.
    This is the best I can do. Sorry, it's a print-only thing.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thank you. On the other hand, they did make issue of dealing sufficient damage. One in 5 black dragons, not counting their descendant's, sounds like it to me.
    Huh?

I need more detail. The cauldron of comprehensive metaphor yet bubbles.
    Huh?

Did...did you actually decide what you mean? Or are you just trying to write something cryptic with no actual meaning behind it
    Either way you succeeded in confusing everyone

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    This is the best I can do. Sorry, it's a print-only thing.
    Aw man, that's frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Either way you succeeded in confusing everyone
    Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.