New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,506 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    Changing the burden to "what is probable" rather than "what we are 100% sure of" is not cheapening this, because the Giant has made it clear he's going to make it impossible wherever he can from now on to determine such things. Xykon being listed at his probable level isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing. The only reason he isn't listed at 27+ now is because of sticklers anyway, who want to construct absurdly unlikely scenarios (like him having an invisible metamagic rod). Not even those sticklers really believe Xykon is only level 21, not when he was 19+ a full 28 years ago (before he had numerous fights and level up chances). Just review some of the stuff Xykon has done since then:
    - killed Epic Lirian (and her forces)
    - killed Epic Dorukan (and his fleet of Angels)
    - gotten XP for fighting Epic Soon and his many paladins
    - gotten XP for getting past an Ancient Silver Dragon (and numerous other monsters in his tower)
    - gotten XP for beating uber Epic Darth V (that should be a full level right there)
    - gotten XP for conquering Azure city (story XP certainly)
    - gotten XP for the numerous random fights he is described as having (like enemies popping out of pot plants)
    Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Custom magic item that duplicates effects of a metamagic rod is a lot less power creep than 2-3 Epic feats that must be spent on it (with all the wealth that comes with the Epic levels required to earn them).

1. He is a Lich, which drastically reduces any XP he gains and makes most of those encounters give no XP at all.
    2. He spends a lot of time creating custom magic items - and those eat up XP at an incredible rate.
    I believe this amply demonstrates my point. It's simply better for the thread's health to not try and make judgments on what's more "plausible" that are just going to devolve into an exchange of "no you're wrong", especially since the only authority that could resolve them has explicitly said he won't be doing so.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2013-05-06 at 02:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1502

Then you may as well abandon the thread, given that the same authority has said they will go out of their way to prevent any further calculations. It's probablistic or nothing really.

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Firbolg in the Playground

Then you may as well abandon the thread, given that the same authority has said they will go out of their way to prevent any further calculations. It's probablistic or nothing really.
    Mathematicians have known since the 1930s that there exist statements (including the consistency of all sufficiently strong consistent axiom systems) which are true but can neither be proven nor disproven. This doesn't mean we have lowered our standards for what constitutes a proof. It just means that we only claim to have proven what we can actually prove. For example, we know Roy has gained a level since dying. That is not probabilistic. We do not know what level Xykon is--that is your own personal speculation.

EDIT:
    But I do know enough about the arcane users to be bothered when stuff seems inconsistent. That's just how I feel.
    Well given how much of your complaints about spellcasting "inconsistencies" have been due to your own lack of understanding of the rules...

Anyways, I agree with ti'esar 100%.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2013-05-06 at 03:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But for a while now, ALL feats have been homebrewed feats, all items have been homebrewed items, all new characters have unspecified classes, etc.
    What I take from this is that Tarquin's class does not exist. He isn't a straight fighter, he doesn't have a prestige class, he's not a factotum, etc. If he's anything at all, he's a "Tarquin" -- which, although I've purely been a lurker on this thread, kind of disappoints me, because I was curious as all heck about what class or class combination he had to beat Elan in a pun duel.

And now it looks like he has no character class.

Agreed, it looks like it's time for this thread to fold.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2013-05-06 at 03:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

5. - Top - End - #1505

I'd rather it didn't fold, I'd rather we just went with probalistic burdens.

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Titan in the Playground

We've hit the 50-page limit again. New thread here.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!