New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

One also has to consider the source. If Roy or V say something, there's a good chance they've at least thought about it a little and, in the absence of countervailing evidence, its probably right. On the other hand, if Elan (and perhaps to a lesser extent Belkar) say something, there's a good chance they haven't thought about it even a little and, in the absence of countervailing evidence, its probably wrong.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2013-01-18 at 10:10 AM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    One also has to consider the source. If Roy or V say something, there's a good chance they've at least thought about it a little and, in the absence of countervailing evidence, its probably right. On the other hand, if Elan (and perhaps to a lesser extent Belkar) say something, there's a good chance they haven't thought about it even a little and, in the absence of countervailing evidence, its probably wrong.
    As a general rule, I agree with that.

For the specific case in question--Roy trash-talking Miko--I remain mystified that someone would think he was being precise. (As I said, actually more mystified that someone would think he knew Shojo's age to a decade than I would be that someone would think he knew Shojo's age to the year, because it is at least possible to imagine him asking Shojo's age, whereas I can't imagine how he'd find out what decade Shojo was born but not what year.)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

For the specific case in question--Roy trash-talking Miko--I remain mystified that someone would think he was being precise. (As I said, actually more mystified that someone would think he knew Shojo's age to a decade than I would be that someone would think he knew Shojo's age to the year, because it is at least possible to imagine him asking Shojo's age, whereas I can't imagine how he'd find out what decade Shojo was born but not what year.)
    Because you can typically peg how old someone is within a decade or so by their looks? At any rate, I didn't take Roy literally but it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone to assume that Roy estimated Shojo to be in his eighties. This wouldn't mean Shojo has to be that old, sure, but it is worth discussion. Just like whether or not Belkar took Craft Disturbing Mental Image as a feat was worth discussion. Personally, I think it was just a joke and not literal. But it is definitely worthy of bringing up.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I believe he is at one point referred to as an octogenarian.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    This wouldn't mean Shojo has to be that old, sure, but it is worth discussion. Just like whether or not Belkar took Craft Disturbing Mental Image as a feat was worth discussion. Personally, I think it was just a joke and not literal. But it is definitely worthy of bringing up.
    No, I think it is not. Imagine I call you "Oh, don't be so old and grumpy and stuck in your ways" in a silly internet debate to express I think you focus too much on unimportant and informationless detail (Note I'm not doing it, this is just for the sake of the argument here).
    Now someone comes along and claims you are "old", based on that statement. My line was a worthless statement in regard to carrying actual information very similar to Belkar making jokes or Roy trash-talking to Miko.

Yes, it is worth bringing up but not worth talking more for three posts about it and then dismissing it as "joke" or "trash talk". Roy's comment does not carry more information than "Roy thinks Shojo is old" for which we need no evidence at all (and it surely does not tell us how old Shojo is).
    Last edited by Winter; 2013-01-20 at 07:44 AM.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    No, I think it is not. Imagine I call you "Oh, don't be so old and grumpy and stuck in your ways" in a silly internet debate to express I think you focus too much on unimportant and informationless detail (Note I'm not doing it, this is just for the sake of the argument here).
    Now someone comes along and claims you are "old", based on that statement. My line was a worthless statement in regard to carrying actual information very similar to Belkar making jokes or Roy trash-talking to Miko.

Yes, it is worth bringing up but not worth talking more for three posts about it and then dismissing it as "joke" or "trash talk". Roy's comment does not carry more information than "Roy thinks Shojo is old" for which we need no evidence at all (and it surely does not tell us how old Shojo is).
    Why are you saying it is not worth bringing up and also saying it is worth bringing up? A discussion can be, "Here is a reference to someones age." "Well, I think it is sarcasm." "Regardless, guys, we have a better source for his age. *Insert evidence*" "Oh, okay." Worth bringing up and talking about when a claim about a character is made.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Why are you saying it is not worth bringing up and also saying it is worth bringing up? A discussion can be, "Here is a reference to someones age." "Well, I think it is sarcasm." "Regardless, guys, we have a better source for his age. *Insert evidence*" "Oh, okay." Worth bringing up and talking about when a claim about a character is made.
    Yes, that is what a discussion can and should be in these cases. In this case it is not that, in this case it is much, much longer based on some throw-away remarks by people who simply can and should not know more than us.

I'm sorry if the previous post was too fuzzy. Basically everything is worth to get brought up, but some things should die with a "no, because ..."-post.
    Last edited by Winter; 2013-01-20 at 12:46 PM.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

Yes, that is what a discussion can and should be in these cases. In this case it is not that, in this case it is much, much longer based on some throw-away remarks by people who simply can and should not know more than us.

I'm sorry if the previous post was too fuzzy. Basically everything is worth to get brought up, but some things should die with a "no, because ..."-post.
    That happened. Gitman00 asked, hamishspence replied. Two posts, done.

Then we got a rather long discussion on the decidedly different topic of what sorts of posts people want to see in the thread, and what sorts of attitudes. That discussion may have been precipitated by Gitman00's post, but it was not about his question.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Just a reminder: as I argued here, I believe convincingly, Vaarsuvius should be listed with the Knowledge: Religion skill.
    I'll just pop in and remind people of this, because it still hasn't been listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    I'll just pop in and remind people of this, because it still hasn't been listed.
    I'll second that, it seems better established than certain things already listed.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    I agree with Flame here. Vaarsuvius undoubtedly has the skill trained, he doesn't neccasarily have it maxed, but he does have it.
    Moi aussi.

Also, Two Weapon Pounce has a Special exception for Rangers with the Two Weapon Fighting Combat Style. Belkar doesn't need any Dexterity, much less 15, to get the feat or to use it, so long as he is wearing light or no armor.
    I would like to see Belkar's Dexterity score changed, as Two Weapon Pounce doesn't affect it for him. Do we have any other hard information on the subject?

I would like to to point out though, the OP hasn't been updated at all since October of last year so this might take a while.

12. - Top - End - #252

While we're on the subject, I still see no justification for the assumption that "I'm summoning the employee exit" was casting a "Summon Employee Exit" spell.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't Malack creating mummies prove that he's of a non-Good alignment? Or is there an exception when the spell comes from an item?

Or is it because we're not sure if it was specifically Create Undead? Even then, is there any spell that directly creates intelligent undead yet does not have the [Evil] descriptor?
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2013-01-28 at 10:28 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to to point out though, the OP hasn't been updated at all since October of last year so this might take a while.
    Oh, I'm still here, there just hasn't been a lot of new material lately (which, after all, tends to correspond to Rich's health). Okay, so yeah, V has the knowledge skill; added now. Looks like I overlooked the last time this was mentioned because of the subsequent (unrelated) flamewar.

Speaking of which, do we have a decent link for V's knowledge: Arcana skill?

I would like to see Belkar's Dexterity score changed, as Two Weapon Pounce doesn't affect it for him.
    And also that. I don't think we know anything else about Belkar's dexterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Doesn't Malack creating mummies prove that he's of a non-Good alignment? Or is there an exception when the spell comes from an item?
    That's a good question. We don't really know how he created the mummies, though; what he did doesn't match the Create Undead spell (which takes one hour to cast and produces one mummy which is not under the caster's control). Earlier discussion suggested that he used Malack's Magnificent Mummy-Manufacturing Magick, similar to Tsukiko's Amazing Wight-Making Spell, and we don't know what descriptors that spell might have.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2013-01-28 at 11:26 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's a good question. We don't really know how he created the mummies, though;
    "A few charges from your staff each," Tarquin said. But...is anyone seriously under the impression there's even a tiny, minute chance that Malack is Good-aligned?

(Question about Summon Employee Exit not withdrawn.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-01-28 at 11:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Speaking of which, do we have a decent link for V's knowledge: Arcana skill?
    Well, she manages to identify the young adult black dragon as such, a DC 26 Knowledge (arcana) check. The dirty magazines would have given a circumstance bonus, but since Knowledge is trained only, V wouldn't have been able to make the check at all without at least one rank in the skill.

That's a good question. We don't really know how he created the mummies, though; what he did doesn't match the Create Undead spell (which takes one hour to cast and produces one mummy which is not under the caster's control). Earlier discussion suggested that he used Malack's Magnificent Mummy-Manufacturing Magick, similar to Tsukiko's Amazing Wight-Making Spell, and we don't know what descriptors that spell might have.
    I believe casting a spell from a staff is a standard action, regardless of the listed casting time. And if Malack is not Good-aligned, then controlling the newly created undead via rebuking would be no problem for him.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-01-28 at 12:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Kubota has levels in both Aristocrat and a Aristocrat friendly prestige class that grants the extraordinary ability to fool magical lie detection.

18. - Top - End - #258

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain
    Technically possible, but until we see more evidence, we should assume he's using Create Undead. Also, the justification for why undead-making spells are Evil is because they're powered by negative energy, so undead increase entropy by their very existence. Any custom Create Undead-style spell should also have the Evil descriptor.

That said, casting an Evil spell is an evil act, but doesn't by itself mean you have an evil alignment.

"A few charges from your staff each," Tarquin said. But...is anyone seriously under the impression there's even a tiny, minute chance that Malack is Good-aligned?
    There is evidence that he may be Neutral, but not Good, no.

(Question about Summon Employee Exit not withdrawn.)
    Agreed. No solid evidence that it's a spell, its utility seems far too limited for a Sorcerer to waste a spell slot on it, and in context it's much more likely to be some kind of custom feature that Dorukan built into his dungeon. It also has a white aura, while Celia's spellcasting aura is blue.
    Last edited by Gitman00; 2013-02-07 at 03:40 AM.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    negative energy, so undead increase entropy by their very existence.
    If increasing entropy is evil, then eating food, moving, and living in general should also be evil.

20. - Top - End - #260

SwashbucklerGuy

If increasing entropy is evil, then eating food, moving, and living in general should also be evil.
    Hey, I'm just repeating the WOTC reasoning. Though I can't remember the exact source.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #261

Hey, I'm just repeating the WOTC reasoning. Though I can't remember the exact source.
    I think you should focus on the "negative energy" thing and the D&D moral, not some fantasy-concept which RL-meaning isn't understood by most people.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Any custom Create Undead-style spell should also have the Evil descriptor.
    That is a good point; I've looked around, and any undead-creating spell I can find does in fact have the evil descriptor. Unless we can find an exception to that, I find it plausible that whatever spell Malack used was indeed evil, which proves that he himself is of non-good alignment (since clerics cannot use spells of an alignment opposite to their own).

And yeah, "entropy" within the context of D&D religion has a different meaning than "entropy" within the context of real-world physics :P

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

None of this gets us anywhere, since he used the staff.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Actually, the rules on staffs say that you cast spells from a staff, and the rules on clerics say that they cannot cast spells with an alignment descriptor opposite to their own. So this would still show that Malack is non-good; Durkon wouldn't be able to use that same staff.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I believe casting a spell from a staff is a standard action, regardless of the listed casting time. And if Malack is not Good-aligned, then controlling the newly created undead via rebuking would be no problem for him.
    I'm afraid this is incorrect. Third paragraph here, casting from a staff takes as long as the spell would take normally.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

We've seen Create Undead and Create Greater Undead cast in much less than an hour, so I don't think it really matters.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I agree. Even if we could exclude Malack from being good that would not help a lot. The probability of his alignment being good is so low anyway that it deserves not much attention: the big question is if he is neutral or evil.

Using a staff to cast an evil spell as cleric that your god is not giving you for a good reason (not evil) might be allowed by the rules but I find it unlikely a cleric should/would ignore the explicit wishes of his or her god (no [Evil] spells).

From the (D&D) morals point of view, Malack *has* to be evil, no matter the source of the spells.
    From the rules' perspective, nothing new is learned here.

27. - Top - End - #267

Agreed. No solid evidence that it's a spell, its utility seems far too limited for a Sorcerer to waste a spell slot on it, and in context it's much more likely to be some kind of custom feature that Dorukan built into his dungeon. It also has a white aura, while Celia's spellcasting aura is blue.
    RMS Oceanic, are you still curating this thread? The last time you posted in it will be exactly four months ago as of tomorrow.
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-02-07 at 12:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

The description of the spell completion items (scroll) says explicitly that the actual spellcasting of the stored spell is being finished the reader of the scroll, although the effort is minimal.

The description of spell trigger item (wands, staves) says "Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler." Note that "simpler" implies being of the same basic nature.

IMNSHO the best reading of the RAW would be that casting Create Undead from a staff would be forbidden for Good aligned clerics or clerics who worship Good aligned gods.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth, I agree that "Summon Employee Exit" was probably a feature of the dungeon, not a feature of Celia.

On Shojo's age, I seem to recall that there was some other inconsistency in the timeline that could be resolved by assuming Shojo to be 72 instead of 80+, though I can't remember what. Something about the age at which Soon turned over command of the Guard to him, and the time span of the Scribble's adventures?

For some new grist for the mill: What Belkar does in the current strip to avoid the arrow-trap looks a lot like "use a mount for cover". Should we assume that this was a use of the Ride skill (DC 15)? Though I'm not sure how much this gets us, since Ride can be used untrained.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

30. - Top - End - #270
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It's a Ride check with a DC low enough that almost anyone, trained or not, could in theory make. So it tells us nothing.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)