New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    But I'm like halfway through and I have a crack squad of colonels clad in titan armour and armed with plasma.

Is there better than titan at least?
    Honestly I can't really be bothered with building firestorms, two interceptors a continent will serve me for now, and the resource requirement is steep.
    Are they really a necessity?
    How are you be all set with titan armor, but don't have any firestorms? They cost half the price of one suit of titan armor and they guarantee that you can take any UFO in the game. Firestorm with an emp cannon can take down the battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    In terms of health you get from them? No. There are other higher-end armors which have useful side-effects though. Archangel Armor sacrifices only 2 hp compared to Titan and grants flight. Ghost is 4 less, but grants a grappling hook for quickly ascending buildings/higher ground, an increase to your movement speed, a +20 to defense, and four uses of one-round invisibility. And Psi Armor is also 4 less, but grants +10 to defense and +30 to will, perfect for psionic troops.

My own final team had four troops in Archangel Armor and two in Psi Armor. Titan is great in many situations, but I found the added flexibility of flight much better than the two extra health of Titan in the kind of stage the final mission is, and Psi Armor is a must-have for psionics intending to use Mind Control.
    Don't forget that the cloak on ghost armor also gives you 100% crit chance on your next shot.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Don't forget that the cloak on ghost armor also gives you 100% crit chance on your next shot.

I did not know that.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ironman will feel easy, but you'll lose people to stuff that happens that you can't take back. Classic will feel hard after playing normal, but you can try a few times to get it right. My opinion of Ironman Classic after 3 files of such is that it's masochism.
    I disgree. Classic forces you to learn the advantages and disadvantages of your abilities the hard way. For example at the start I never used hunker down, but now it's a essential tool. And I don't use overwatch that much anymore on lowranking soldiers.
    Two rules get you through life:
    1. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.
    2. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. Didn't read the description on Bullet Swarm close enough. Looks like I'll be taking it all the time from now on.

Also, is anyone else finding some maps to be ridiculously hard compared to others? I'm finding missions on freeway maps and that one extremely tiny map of the construction site always end up kicking my ass.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, that map where you spawn near a cafe seems to always be a pain in the ass. It's small and it seems the aliens actively come for you so you can be swamped real fast.

Let's just say, having four cyberdisks (with their eight drones), three chryssalids, and six mutons (two of them berserkers) come at you in like five turns is not the best place to be.

Also, just downed the overseer, so I met Elites, Sectopods, and Ethereals for the first time. Man, Sectopods hurt.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    Huh. Didn't read the description on Bullet Swarm close enough. Looks like I'll be taking it all the time from now on.

Also, is anyone else finding some maps to be ridiculously hard compared to others? I'm finding missions on freeway maps and that one extremely tiny map of the construction site always end up kicking my ass.
    What's your squad setup? I find freeway missions to be the absolute easiest. Excellent firing lines for a pair of Squadsight snipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Personally, that map where you spawn near a cafe seems to always be a pain in the ass. It's small and it seems the aliens actively come for you so you can be swamped real fast.
    I had a similar experience with the tank yard map - About eight Heavy Floaters and a couple Mutons in sight within 3 turns and no place to fall back to.

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Also, just downed the overseer, so I met Elites, Sectopods, and Ethereals for the first time. Man, Sectopods hurt.
    Sectopods are scary! I find that engaging them from outside their vision with Squadsight snipers and max-range HEAT rockets to be most effective. But my solution to pretty much everything is "use Squadsight snipers", so there's that too.
    Truth resists simplicity.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    But my solution to pretty much everything is "use Squadsight snipers", so there's that too.
    my Squad sight "shadow" has 103 kills to his name...
    grapple suit and damn good ground FTW...

my only problem is he turned out to be a Psi... now he has to get close to level up his psi
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Any one else noticed a tendency to try and hurry through missions? It seems everyone I watch play tends to rush forward.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Having a hard time convincing myself that any other armour than ghost armour is worth the hassle. Stealth + defense + grappling hook is an awesome combo. Maybe it's just that by the time I had Titan armour available I hardly ever encountered thin men anymore. Also, my squad was so high level that poison wasn't really that big a deal.
    What are other people's experiences with armour usage? Which ones do you prefer?

10. - Top - End - #550
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

My opinion of Ironman Classic after 3 files of such is that it's masochism.
    I'm on my fourth Ironman Classic game and finally doing well. Encountered my first heavy floaters yesterday, lost my best sniper to greed, but did manage to capture one of the sods.

It's fun to have a game that's actually capable of winning, and to have to try out different strategies before you find one that works. As has been mentioned, if everything goes tits-up and you're playing on wuss mode, then it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Anyway, even with laser rifles, I've still yet to find a good way to deal with Mutons.
    If you know you'll be fighting Mutons, then cling to heavy cover and Overwatch everyone all the time. That way you can maybe drop one the first time they blunder into you. Don't group together, they use grenades.

Flush is extremely powerful against Mutons, since it forces them to leave the heavy cover that they prioritize. Setting your squad to Overwatch and then Flushing is a good way to kill a Muton.

If you only encounter one or two, you should be able to OverFlush one to death and then Suppress one, making the overall threat pretty minimal.

Rockets and grenades can obliterate their cover pretty efficiently. Also, if Mutons take cover behind cars, a Rocket will detonate the cars and instagib the Mutons, since the car is 6ish damage and the rocket is also 6 damage.

Rockets and Grenades are pretty effective against everyone, really. (My friends have nicknamed me Commander Bay)

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Any one else noticed a tendency to try and hurry through missions? It seems everyone I watch play tends to rush forward.
    I certainly don't. Aliens don't kill people. Doublemoves forward kill people.

(This Message brought to you by the Classic Ironman Council. We are extremely pleased with your success, and that is a statement this council does not make lightly.)
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Anyway, even with laser rifles, I've still yet to find a good way to deal with Mutons. I faced the Cyberdisc a couple times, and while they're more durable, they're not quite as scary once you take down that drone. The problem with them is when it flies around to flank you when you're busy dealing with Mutons or Chryssalids.
    What Shadow said, pretty much. Stay spread out (Also something to be done against other grenade-tossers). Explode their cover with grenades or use Flush to force them through an Overwatch gauntlet. If neither option is available for whatever reason, falling back out of LoS and spamming Overwatch can also be effective. If the Mutons don't show up in the following turn, assume they're flanking you and adjust by shifting cover or even counter-flanking.
    Truth resists simplicity.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    If neither option is available for whatever reason, falling back out of LoS and spamming Overwatch can also be effective.
    To be fair, this strategy is the best and safest strategy for the entire game. Have everyone sit behind cover and overwatch. Then send you support class with extra movement out front (not dashing) to trigger enemies. Then run them back. Enemies follow and get annihilated in from the overwatch. If they're not all dead it doesn't matter because now you have a full round to either blow them away or back off (again not dashing) and re-overwatch. This is by far the simplest way to beat any mission except the Terror ones.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone running a Classic difficulty Ironman LP of this?

EDIT: And yes, I agree, Ghost Armour is pretty OP.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    my Squad sight "shadow" has 103 kills to his name...
    grapple suit and damn good ground FTW...

my only problem is he turned out to be a Psi... now he has to get close to level up his psi
    That's what one of my snipers went to the final mission with in my second playthrough.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I certainly don't. Aliens don't kill people. Doublemoves forward kill people.

(This Message brought to you by the Classic Ironman Council. We are extremely pleased with your success, and that is a statement this council does not make lightly.)
    The tutorial should have ripped the double move method out of people. Seriously, if the troops had been overwatching instead of blindly rushing in, there would only have been 1 casualty. Maybe 0 if the the guy taking point had stepped to the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

0 if the point guy had had the sense to shoot the MC'd guy.

I don't have the sense to do that, though. I've gone to some pretty crazy and near-fatal lengths to finish the mission without killing an MC'd ally. Turns out that disabling shot is a great sniper perk for those occasions.

EDIT: Just to spam some more randomness:

Game 1 Casualties: 26
    Game 2 Casualties: 3

Both were on normal, and I think the lower casualty rate was because I got a really good team up and running fairly early on and didn't swap in rookies as much. However, I sort of liked the feel of the first game more. It wasn't until June or so that I had my first loss, and everything went downhill from there. By the end of the game, it was 1 November, and my ratings had been AACABDDC. I had 6 soldiers to my name, 4 of them rookies with the New Guy bonus, and that final charge really pinned down the feeling of a last ditch effort to save humanity. I had 1 suit of titan armor.

My second playthrough, I got 6 team members just before the first setpiece mission, and they spent almost the rest of the game together, and were all colonels before long. The feel I got out of this game was that XCOM had hit their stride, and the aliens better watch out, 'cuz we're commin' for ya.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-10-15 at 10:51 AM.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    The only one I found I had a harder time on was the gas station. You really do not want to start a fight with anything with grenades on that map. Even late in the game, you will get blown the eff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    What are other people's experiences with armour usage? Which ones do you prefer?
    I think all the late-game armor has very good reasons to use it. I usually used Titan on my Heavies, since I treated them like tanks, though my final team had them in Archangel instead. Snipers I went with Ghost for a while, switched to Archangel after learning that Damn Good Ground applied to fliers (except for my move-and-shoot sniper, who kept Ghost). For Assaults I kind of alternated Titan, Archangel, and eventually Ghost for the invisibility. For Supports I was using Archangel, since ignoring terrain helps immensely with getting them to wounded soldiers quickly. And of course Psi armor went to my psionics, except the Heavies, who I kept on Titan or Archangel due to, again, treating them like tanks.

Honestly, I think Archangel ends up as my favorite, simply because flight is that versatile a tool in the kind of maps you end up on during the late-game period, and only losing 2 hp compared to Titan to get that is not shabby at all.

Anyway, a little more of my Iron Man game before work this morning. No more casualties yet, though a couple of close calls that ended with some badly wounded troops. I have not yet readjusted to having that buffer of health from armor that doesn't end with troops sitting out for a while after a fight, it seems. I've added three more classed characters to my roster - Dante (Assault), Deadpool (Sniper), and Doctor Doom (Heavy). Brings me to two Assaults, two Snipers, one Support, one Heavy. Arthur and Morrigan also hit Corporal, allowing me to buy the squad size increase to 5.

I've begun construction of my first Satellite Uplink and two Satellites quite early, since I know how important those things are now. Working on researching Nano-Fiber Vests, and then I think I'll start work on what I need to begin capturing aliens to advance the plot.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Holy crap classic is brutal.... those sectoids man, those sectoids... I'm losing half my guys on any given mission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

One issue I think is that the game tells you that flanking is a really good way to gain a tactical advantage, but in classic, trying to set up a flank is tantamount to suicide. I think the risk of triggering additional alien groups is far too great, and, as already noted, by far the best tactic is to trigger one group and then fall back into safety and overwatch or hunker down. So, the harder the game gets, the more you just sit still and wait for the aliens to walk into the fire zone.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #560

So yeah, this game is great! All the fun of the original, and just enough bloodthirstiness that it's deadly without being frustrating...

Been playing on Normal mode, and so far caution and combined arms seem to be the way to go. Though I am a bit too attached to my teams... When I lose more than one in a mission I reload. I've only had to do a lot of reloading cheese on two occasions, though. Once when I first ran into cyberdiscs in a terror attack (Cyberdisks AND Chrysalids, it was horrible. And half the team were only squaddie level... >.< ) The second time...

Spoiler
    Show
    Was when I took down the stealthed UFO. When I saw a sectopod on the assessment, I knew it was going to be rough. Especially with my best armor being carapace suits... Sent out my best men, and no matter how I moved, that damn thing was causing casualties. Didn't help that on turn 5 the muton elite kept getting close enough that I kept triggering them... Then the ethereal took some finesse. After a couple of failed arc thrower shots I just said "hell with this", and hosed him down repeatedly with scatter lasers and sniper headshots.

I've been worrying that my plot progress might be outpacing my resources. Due to a bit of a satellite gap in the early months, I've had to scrimp on building a lot of good stuff... But now that I've got 4-5 firestorms with plasma cannons built, it's a little easier. Can get to working on Titan armor and heavy plasmas all around!

I did hit one weird bug... When I deployed my alloy shiv a while back, it could only move. Couldn't fire, and didn't appear to have a weapon at all. Am I missing something?
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    I did hit one weird bug... When I deployed my alloy shiv a while back, it could only move. Couldn't fire, and didn't appear to have a weapon at all. Am I missing something?
    I haven't encountered it personally, but SHIVs apparently have a tendency to bug out, with such things as losing their gun, or turning into a headless rookie.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I finally managed to complete the game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the "ending" was....interesting. I use the quotation marks because I'm not even sure I can call it an ending, It felt so sudden, it was basically "Gigantic explosion, cut to the scorecard". They could at least have had a funeral for the Volunteer, or an award ceremony for the other soldiers who went on the mission. Of course, I'm sure they have plenty of DLC on the way to answer all my questions.
    Also, the final boss was rather disappointing. Paul Atreides (The Volunteer) and Fluttershy managed to take it down in three shots on the first turn of the fight. Then again, most of the previous games in the franchise have had rather weak end bosses as well, so I suppose that is yet another way of staying faithful to the franchise.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else find it really hard to believe the Thin Men are infiltration units? They would stick out like a sore thumb with their Men in Black suits,glasses, and strange proportions.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-10-15 at 03:16 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    So, I finally managed to complete the game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the "ending" was....interesting. I use the quotation marks because I'm not even sure I can call it an ending, It felt so sudden, it was basically "Gigantic explosion, cut to the scorecard". They could at least have had a funeral for the Volunteer, or an award ceremony for the other soldiers who went on the mission. Of course, I'm sure they have plenty of DLC on the way to answer all my questions.
    Also, the final boss was rather disappointing. Paul Atreides (The Volunteer) and Fluttershy managed to take it down in three shots on the first turn of the fight. Then again, most of the previous games in the franchise have had rather weak end bosses as well, so I suppose that is yet another way of staying faithful to the franchise.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else find it really hard to believe the Thin Men are infiltration units? They would stick out like a sore thumb with their Men in Black suits,glasses, and strange proportions.
    I read a thing describing the intended effect the art department had, which was something very unnerving, but if you just glanced at them in a crowd you wouldn't notice them.

I kind of wish they had explored the idea of the Thin Men as infiltrators a little bit more, especially as they're the only thing you face during council missions. I could imagine a Terror Mission where some Civillians would, when you approached them, be revealed to be Thin Men in better-than-average disguises and attack you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #564

NecromancerGirl

Just finished the game myself.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was a little miffed that with over 30 tested soldiers, I had only one psionic. He was a colonel assault with mostly defensive perks. I hadn't used him much, instead preferring two assaults that had the more offensive perks as my point men. I left one of them behind in order to take the psionic soldier.

As for the story, I wasn't too impressed, but nor was I too disappointed. All things being equal, I wasn't expecting an astounding story, seeing as the story bits during the game itself were rather slim. The game had a lot of great atmosphere and world-building style background, but the actual story was not the focus from the get-go.

Also, a squad sight double-tap sniper is godly. I wish I would have had one through most of the game. My first sniper died as a major. My second I took snap shot instead of squad sight, and the aim penalty was just too much to make that worthwhile. My third sniper did make colonel, but she got promoted right before the final mission, so I didn't get to enjoy it for long.

There was a debate a couple pages ago about holo-targeting. I didn't try out bullet storm, but I found holo-targeting to be fairly useful when combined with suppression, especially against muton elites that stick to high cover. The aim bonus made it easier for my other soldiers to hit, and I don't know about you guys, but even with a scope, my heavies missed more high percentage shots than any two of my other soldiers combined.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally finished myself:

Spoiler
    Show
    That... really felt more like the end of Act II than Act III tbh. I mean yeah, great, we beat the aliens... except it's clear there's something else going on here, and we don't really know what. The UberEthereal's dialogue was so cryptic that the only thing I could genuinely figure out is that they want us because we're both physically and psychically capable.

Great, but he didn't even explain why precisely - there are a lot of reasons speculated on in this thread, all perfectly reasonable, but unless I missed a bit of dialogue none of it is spelled out. So they may want us as hosts, maybe as soldiers, or maybe we're supposed to be some kind of research project they can show off to their overlords to regain favor... I don't know.

I think what annoys me more though is it honestly felt very, very short. Had I been researching Priority things as they came up, instead of doing all the research I could before progressing the story, I probably would have been done MUCH faster; which is sad because the game is fun to play! I mean obviously there's some ability to self moderate like I did, drawing the experience out; but I don't like that I could probably beat the game in half the time I actually did.

Still, overall an awesome game; I really hope they do some DLC or an expansion pack of some kind. While the story wasn't strong, it does have me curious.

Also - Reallllllly hoping we get some mod tools; because a game like this just deserves all kinds of expansion and players, given the right tools, are usually the ones to do that.

All told, probably my favorite of the last 3 games I've bought. (Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2 and XCom)

Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think my biggest problem right now is getting a large number of trained units up and running early so when I get to a mission that wipes me out I don't get stuck with doomed rookie squad after doomed rookie squad.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

27. - Top - End - #567

I did an incomplete playthrough of this game. I abandoned it after I ran into a massive panic issue where the game would only send me on missions where I had no panic. Granted, I did not manage the satellite mechanic well at all so I restarted. However, I really enjoyed what I saw and decided to start over from scratch and give it another go with greater knowledge as to what to do.

I'm playing Normal and I find this game to be beyond ridiculous. I'm on my fifth mission. My hit rate is 34% for my squad. That's global, no matter the class. I'm missing shots with a 99% chance to hit. My heavy has taken 12 shots and hasn't hit once. I decided to cheat and just reload sniper misses. I reloaded one shot 21 times and didn't hit once. The percentage-to-hit is absolutely arbitrary; the game has already decided that the player will miss from that position no matter the circumstances or the fallacious figures it presents. That seems like very lazy programming where the background calculation is literally a binary that takes nothing else into consideration. I'd rather the program just output, "You will miss; don't give a damn you're adjacent to an uncovered target; trollolol."

Man, what a disappointment this iteration is.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    I did an incomplete playthrough of this game. I abandoned it after I ran into a massive panic issue where the game would only send me on missions where I had no panic. Granted, I did not manage the satellite mechanic well at all so I restarted. However, I really enjoyed what I saw and decided to start over from scratch and give it another go with greater knowledge as to what to do.

I'm playing Normal and I find this game to be beyond ridiculous. I'm on my fifth mission. My hit rate is 34% for my squad. That's global, no matter the class. I'm missing shots with a 99% chance to hit. My heavy has taken 12 shots and hasn't hit once. I decided to cheat and just reload sniper misses. I reloaded one shot 21 times and didn't hit once. The percentage-to-hit is absolutely arbitrary; the game has already decided that the player will miss from that position no matter the circumstances or the fallacious figures it presents. That seems like very lazy programming where the background calculation is literally a binary that takes nothing else into consideration. I'd rather the program just output, "You will miss; don't give a damn you're adjacent to an uncovered target; trollolol."

Man, what a disappointment this iteration is.
    This is because the game stores what the result was even if you reload the save, in order to prevent exactly what you tried. Also, I played on Normal, and I didn't have inaccuracy issues nearly as bad as what you say. Are you sure it isn't some sort of bug?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

29. - Top - End - #569

Flumph

I hear that on higher difficulties that sort of blatant AI cheating happens far more frequently, and you should basically consider anything less than an 80% chance a guaranteed miss.

I also hear that basically the difference between difficulties is how much of that cheating you have to put up with and how few resources you get after UFO missions.

Also, on the last mission:

Spoiler
    Show
    What the **** was that all about? You choose the last mission of the game to drop pretty much your entire load of exposition?

And the temple ship was less of a challenge than a battleship, at least on the battleship mission it had the room before the end that was stacked with masses of guys and actually put up a fight (8 mutons, 4 berserkers, and a sectopod, as I kept spawning more into the room as I spread enough to not get rocket barraged and grenaded. The only fight, in fact, that got through my titan suits and managed to hospitalise anyone in about the last three months of the game.). Sure, big whoop you have an uber-ethereal. I have blaster launchers. This is not a discussion.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I hear that on higher difficulties that sort of blatant AI cheating happens far more frequently, and you should basically consider anything less than an 80% chance a guaranteed miss.
    It's less blatant cheating and more the aliens getting a bonus to defense, aim, and crit chance. Shifty RNG is unconfirmed, but it sure as heck feels like it's off sometimes.

As for differences in difficulties, Normal and below the aliens are capped by your progression, Classic and up they progress whether you're ready for it or not.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2012-10-15 at 06:29 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.