New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Weird thing though - right at the start of the mission, Doom started suffering a bug that I can only describe as paranoid delusions. He had one of those alien icons displayed when selected, even when there were no aliens around - and this not only lasted the whole mission, but partway through a second one joined it. Near as I can tell it had no impact on anything, but still, really strange.
    As far as I can tell, this happens if you have people on overwatch, trigger aliens during someone else's move, and have one of the aliens get reaction fire'd to death. The ghost indicator will be on the guy you'd been moving at the time.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    As far as I can tell, this happens if you have people on overwatch, trigger aliens during someone else's move, and have one of the aliens get reaction fire'd to death. The ghost indicator will be on the guy you'd been moving at the time.
    Huh. Well, that did happen a couple of times in that mission, when I met the groups of Thin Men. And the timing seems right. I wouldn't have thought that Doom was the one I was moving at those times though, but I could easily just be misremembering.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Gunslinger vs Damn Good Ground really is a tough choice.
    Not for me. My leading cause of sniper death so far is 'on high ground, no cover, more aliens just showed up'.

I blame the designers, putting all those tempting-looking ladders that lead to DEATH.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My philosophy is that Snap Shot snipers get Damned Good Ground, since they can actually get to said ground and use it (With my Squadsight Snipers, by the time they're in position, my assaults and heavies have cleared out all the enemies in the immediate area), while Squadsight Snipers get Gunslinger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    My philosophy is that Snap Shot snipers get Damned Good Ground, since they can actually get to said ground and use it (With my Squadsight Snipers, by the time they're in position, my assaults and heavies have cleared out all the enemies in the immediate area), while Squadsight Snipers get Gunslinger.
    I agree. Gunslinger gives Squadsighters something to do after moving, mostly when breaching UFO's, inside buildings or other areas with poor firing lines where Squadsight can't be brought to bear.
    Truth resists simplicity.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I agree. Gunslinger gives Squadsighters something to do after moving, mostly when breaching UFO's, inside buildings or other areas with poor firing lines where Squadsight can't be brought to bear.
    Alternatively, Squad Sight + High Ground + Archangel Armour + SCOPE = 100% accurate shot in low cover from across the map.
    Last edited by king.com; 2012-10-17 at 04:54 AM.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Priority 3... I'm planning to get a SHIV up and running to be my scout going forward. Quite simply, it's too dangerous putting seasoned troops out front, and downright wasteful using rookies - a SHIV on the other hand is replacable since it doesn't lose XP; and if it takes heavy damage but isn't killed, I can just pull it back.
    are we playing the same X-com... that's whar redsh... I mean rookies are for if they survive their baptism of fire long enough to be assigned a class then it's time for a new rookie.

to be fair I "only" lost 10 soldiers on my first playthrough. 9 of them were rookies with one being a Medic that got trapped while trying to save a Rookie from bleeding out.
    stupid reaction shot.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by king.com View Post
    Alternatively, Squad Sight + High Ground + Archangel Armour + SCOPE = 100% accurate shot in low cover from across the map.
    Full cover, with the Low Profile skill, isn't it? I haven't checked if it applies to flighying units. Either way, very very strong. I just prefer to sacrifice a little raw power for versatily.
    Truth resists simplicity.

9. - Top - End - #639

Full cover, with the Low Profile skill, isn't it? I haven't checked if it applies to flighying units. Either way, very very strong. I just prefer to sacrifice a little raw power for versatily.
    Flying gives you low cover though Im not sure if they directly coveys in the same way...I want to say it does though. I was refering to being able to shoot enemies at low cover with 100% to hit chance. The deversity thing is a playstyle issue but there is the big idea that the division of labour is a really really good thing. If you have an expert in close combat and an expert at long range its better than two people who are kinda good at both. Then again I cant not use that setup to double tap sectopods and etherals....
    Last edited by king.com; 2012-10-17 at 05:17 AM.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

So - here is a story about how a Terror Mission in France went from "Almost Certain Victory" to "Zombie Apocalypse" in about as much time as it takes to say that.

It's early in my current Normal* Ironman mode game, I *just* got enough Carapace armor to outfit the entire 5-person squad. I have 2 Corporals, a Lt. a Sgt. and a Rookie.

When we initially arrive we're almost instantly greated by about 8 Floaters in various positions, mostly they're not staying put to deal with us, but rather flying around blasting civies. So we move forward and methodically clear them out while the Rookie and my Assault Sgt rescue civilians. No worries - soon enough there are 8 dead floaters, no casualties and only minor injuries on my side.

There are also no civilians left on the map - I've rescued 8, and 10 are dead. Not my best work, but hey, that's X-Com for you.

Clearly however there is still one more group of aliens left, because the mission hasn't ended. So we press on - The Assault Sgt and my Cpl Support both head back toward the sky ranger to an unexplored area to search there, while my Lt. Heavy, Cpl Sniper, and Rookie move up to the large warehouse building which my rookie had previously briefly explored while saving civilians.

Rookie goes in first, as rookies are wont to do... Only I moved him much further than I should have, because my Rookie wound up *right next* to 3 Chryssalids! Normally this isn't too scary - I can kite/focus fire them down without worries, but that rookie I'm pretty sure is dead. Sad, but that's again, X-Com for you.

I want to note right here that I was still using ballistic weapons at this point too, no lasers yet.

Turn ends, Rookie gets attacked, and survives with 1hp! Woohoo! I immediately run him out of the building and to the Sniper, who has a medkit. My heavy, who's at the door of the building, proceeds to plug a Chryssalid twice with his LMG, killing it thanks to a critical. Down to 2 Chrysallids, yay!

Then the screaming started... On my next turn both Chrysalids come pouring out of the doorway, right on top of my 'building' squad... killing the rookie and sniper pretty much instantly. Worse: A zombified civilian has appeared at the edge of my screen - and apparently they've been a zombie for awhile because they immediately turn into a Chrysallid and make a bumrush for my surviving Heavy.

Heavy is alive, and falls back toward the middle of the map where I'm trying to meet up with him with my 2 surviving soldiers. I'm thinking "No problem, no problem, the situation isn't out of hand yet...." - then the Chrysallids move and they're right back on top of my heavy. Now, lucky for me, said Heavy was JUST far enough that they couldn't attack that round (yay!) so there are 3 Chryssalids sitting there, there's no possible way to outrun them... time for a desperate plan.

Heavy takes his rocket launcher and tries to coax the shot so that the edge of the explosion will only hit the Chryssalids, but not him or any allies. It works! 2 of the Chryssalids have just lost 6 of their 8 HP, huzzah! Immediately thereafter my Assault and Support each pick them off, leaving one last surviving Chryssalid...

Oh and the zombies of the pair of soldiers they murdered a turn ago.

Heavy gets hit and goes down, meanwhile my Assault and Support fire away at the Chryssalid. The Chryssalid nearly kills the Assault the next turn, but the Assault survives and they manage to finish off the Chryssalid. Just in time for 2 of the now 3 zombie squad members to turn into MORE CHRYSALLIDS.

Those two come rushing at me, I get off a few shots, but can't quite finish them before they arrive. The assault goes down. Support b acks off as far as possible, fires, kills the wounded Chryssalid, then takes a big hit the next turn and is badly wounded.

Worse, Zombie Heavy and Zombie Assault are now closing in.

At this point it becomes apparent I'm doomed, but I keep fighting - the battle ends with the Assault zombie dead, but the Heavy zombie turned into a Chryssalid and the now 2 surviving Chrysallids proceeded to murder the poor assault. Presumably offscreen he turned into another zombie, and then into another Chryssalid.

End result: The enemy started with 3 Chryssalids, and ended with 3 Chryssalids. I grant that none of the original set survived, but it hardly matters now does it?

<T_T> Anyhow, having failed the terror mission, France immediately quit the X-Com project, and everyone else in Europe went from 1 panic to 5 immediately.

It gets even more fun in that I had satellites over 3 European countries, all of whom were now threatening to leave.

<X_X> Unmitigated disaster that was.

*I am awful at Classic, and I'm not enough of a challenge gamer to willingly put up with the pain.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

11. - Top - End - #641
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I'm nearing the end of my Classic Ironman game, but a pair of Sectopod encounters combined with terrifically bad luck have wiped out all my high ranking units.

I've got the GOLLOP CHAMBER built and ready to use, but I'm tempted to just pick off scout UFOs and do council missions until I have more high ranking units. In particular, I'd like to get a Support up to Colonel for those sweet +10hp medkits.

Is there any reason not to sit around defending the earth without progressing the plot? It's not like in a few months the alien wizards get replaced with super wizards, right?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Just lost the majority of my beta squad to a insect-zombie apocalypse. Started well enough, with the one above-sergeant soldier (Sniper Major, nicknamed Daycare) doing what she does (occasionally one-shotting Cryssalids) while the rabble ran around tagging civilians and dog-piling the damn insects before they can get a shot in. But then one does, panics the squaddie, who runs into more cryssalids, and then promptly dies and becomes a zombie.

Some civvies die in the chaos as cryssalids fan out and murder them, my squad falling back to a cafe to try to overwatch a few to death. This doesn't go as planned, and Major Daycare has to say 'peace' and bug out with her grappling hook, managing to get back to the ship.

Beta squad is where every soldier rookie to sergeant lives and dies.

Maybe I shouldn't have sent them on a terror mission.

Though the last stand of Sgt Molly 'Flogging' McCarthy was an explosive sight for the ages, the left little of the cafe standing.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2012-10-17 at 07:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

Is there any reason not to sit around defending the earth without progressing the plot? It's not like in a few months the alien wizards get replaced with super wizards, right?
    How are you planning to keep panic down? If you skip any larger UFOs it will raise panic by 2 in that nation iirc, and you'll still get abduction missions every so often. I suspect you're on a bit of a time limit, though you can probably go a couple more months.

Also, I did another classic ironman run myself. I got pretty far this time and had a team up with two captains and several corporals. I lost around the end of the third month when a group of mutons suddenly showed up armed with full-on plasma rifles. I had everyone in carapace armor, but I hadn't upgraded to all the different types of laser weapons, and my snipers were dealing 3 damage and I simply couldn't do enough to stop three mutons from taking out several squad members. That left me only one really experienced person and I then got mutons again in my next mission and got crushed.

I'm thinking this was a failure to capture plasma weapons early enough. I'm thinking next time I'll take suppression instead of the shredder rocket on my heavy and research arc thrower and alien containment earlier so that I can start amassing some plasma.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Also, I did another classic ironman run myself. I got pretty far this time and had a team up with two captains and several corporals. I lost around the end of the third month when a group of mutons suddenly showed up armed with full-on plasma rifles. I had everyone in carapace armor, but I hadn't upgraded to all the different types of laser weapons, and my snipers were dealing 3 damage and I simply couldn't do enough to stop three mutons from taking out several squad members. That left me only one really experienced person and I then got mutons again in my next mission and got crushed.
    Every time I run into Mutons for the first time in a game, I mentally scream "No! I am not ready for this! Why?!"
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

15. - Top - End - #645
    Dwarf in the Playground

How are you planning to keep panic down? If you skip any larger UFOs it will raise panic by 2 in that nation iirc, and you'll still get abduction missions every so often. I suspect you're on a bit of a time limit, though you can probably go a couple more months.
    He means to hold off the end mission long enough to take down those UFOs and missions to build up a competent team, since he lost his vets.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by king.com View Post
    And the same minus Damn Good Ground (which I assume is what you meant by High Ground) is most likely still 90-100% accuracy anyway.

It shouldn't apply to flying units, no. Flying isn't cover at all, it just gives a defense bonus equivalent to low cover.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #647

Kobold

I dunno. I've got the panic in every nation at zero right now, so apparently just responding to crises as they pop up keeps it pretty low.

Also I'm hoping to take down a battleship so I can research THOSE THINGS just for old time's sake
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-10-17 at 04:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648

Just beat the game. Got to say it was pretty damn good. Best I could hope for a remake.

One complaint though. The new end game mission is no cydonia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

I would just like to say that SECTOPODS F***ING HURT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Impossible Ironman is much easier after getting laser weapons. Closing in on carapace armour; once I've got my squad outfitted in that, I should be fine; RNG will be hard pressed to screw me as hard as it has been.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Well, another major loss in my Iron Man game. This time on my first fairly large UFO (landing), the one where the talky-men comment that it seems to be the UFO used in abductions. Faced a huge force of Mutons, a Berserker, plus a Cyberdisk and drones outside of it - in fact, everything I faced except the three Sectoid Commanders in the bridge showed up outside of it. I used rockets to try and clear out the Mutons as fast as possible, but some grenades and a shot from the Cyberdisk later, Captain Victor Von Doom was dead, robbing me of one of my only two high-rank Heavies. Came close to losing a Support I'm training up, Storm, as well.

And I had this very strange event which I swear must be a bug of some kind, but for the life of me I don't know it worked. I had Dante and Arthur sitting on the corner of one of the UFO's front walls, because I'd heard something moving on the side of the ship as I was preparing to enter the front doors (turned out to be another Cyberdisk, unrelated to the bug here). Had them - and everyone else on my team, who was behind them, but mostly in sight of them - on overwatch. Suddenly, a 2-hp Muton, one of the survivors of a rocket I launched earlier, appears completely out of nowhere right next to Dante. He did not come around the corner, as he was at Dante's back, and I had sight everywhere else around those characters, obviously, but he was just there, and did not set off any of my overwatches or Dante's ability that gives him a reaction shot on anything moving to within 4 spaces of him. What the heck was that? How does a Muton just appear out of nowhere? And he was able to shoot, as he capped Dante for 7 damage. It's like the damn thing learned how to teleport.

It actually worked out in my favor in the end, because I hadn't captured a Muton yet, and Dante happened to be the guy with my Arc Thrower, but still, what the hell?

Zevox

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-10-17 at 07:28 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

I will probably try the non-RNG incrementing ones after I beat it. Randomness is more than bad enough at this difficulty.

24. - Top - End - #654

GnomeWizardGuy

I finished the game on Normal. Overall, I really liked what the game did to the XCOM formula. I think overall the changes made ultimately make this a more playable XCOM: a lot of the brutal tactics in the original made it turn into a slog.

My biggest gripe of the game would have to be the final mission (spoilers):
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't like having the Uber Etheral suddenly start blabbering exposition at you. Part of what I liked about the whole alien invasion theme in the original was that it didn't matter why the aliens were invading, they just were and it's a fight for survival. Having them try to explain themselves to you makes the aliens less, well, alien.

Other nitpicky gripes:
    • Inventory management was still a chore. Much less so than original XCOM, but it was a pain to have to keep stripping armour and weapons off soldiers to give to someone else.
    • If you're going to make a big deal about having an international force, to the point of putting flags on the soldiers backs, why are all the voice sets American?

Also, some questions:
    • Was it some weird dice rolls on my game's part that my Support soldiers were exclusively female (and that women were only Support, no other classes)?
    • I avoided S.H.I.V.s entirely - are they useful?

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Also, some questions[*]Was it some weird dice rolls on my game's part that my Support soldiers were exclusively female (and that women were only Support, no other classes)?[*]I avoided S.H.I.V.s entirely - are they useful?
    1: Yes it was. In my game women had about equal class distribution as men (Maybe proportionally fewer Heavies, but I got fairly few women, so it's hardly a good sample).
    2: S.H.I.V.s are good. They're less versitile than a human soldier, since they can only Move and Shoot, but they move farther than most, and hit a lot harder. Plus they can absorb a good deal more punishment.

I find them especially useful on terror missions, where their increased movement speed and expendability (Since they represent only an investment of resources, rather than several missions worth of experience) make them ideal for rescuing civilians, and their increased firepower lets them handle hard targets like chryssilids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    are we playing the same X-com... that's whar redsh... I mean rookies are for if they survive their baptism of fire long enough to be assigned a class then it's time for a new rookie.

to be fair I "only" lost 10 soldiers on my first playthrough. 9 of them were rookies with one being a Medic that got trapped while trying to save a Rookie from bleeding out.
    stupid reaction shot.
    I tend to take the view in strategy game that every life is important, and so I always challenge myself to lose as few people as possible. <._.> It's a personal thing. I was very, very cautious in the original X-Com for that reason.

Inevitably I lose people, but I try to keep it to a minimum. < ._.> It's a thing.

Also I must say that having a SHIV as forward scout is very nice, at least so far. Will have to wait and see if that holds up, but I'm liking what it's doing so far.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Also, some questions:
    • Was it some weird dice rolls on my game's part that my Support soldiers were exclusively female (and that women were only Support, no other classes)?
    • I avoided S.H.I.V.s entirely - are they useful?
    1) Yeah that's weird. I did get quite a bit more men than women, but my female troopers came in all classes. One of my best was a female Assault trooper who turned out to be psychically potent <._.>

2) I haven't used them a great deal just yet, but what I have used I've liked.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

...huh. Well, looks like I won't be feeling the loss of Doom for long. The next mission I got after his demise was a Council requested rescue mission, with one of the rewards being a Major-rank Heavy. One rank above even where Doom himself was. And of course, it was an easy mission of nothing but Thin Men.

So yeah, that was convenient.

Was it some weird dice rolls on my game's part that my Support soldiers were exclusively female (and that women were only Support, no other classes)?
    Yeah, it was. In my experience female soldiers are simply rarer than male ones in general, so getting any class all-female is a surprise. I also know for certain that females can be every class - I had females of every class in my first file, and do again in my current one.

I avoided S.H.I.V.s entirely - are they useful?
    Yes. They're quite durable, do good damage, and can be upgraded with Suppress, lasers, and plasma. They make good scouts, particularly since they're more easily replaced than dead (not-low-ranked) soldiers. Alloyed ones can provide cover to soldiers, and Hover ones can fly (for 12 turns before Improved Flight, 24 after).

I did run into a nasty bug with them, however. It affects at least the Alloyed version, on the 360 version of the game. It basically results in the SHIV being Schrondinger's SHIV - it both exists (game list it on your troop list, can select it in the barracks, can dismantle it) and does not (does not appear on-screen when selected, cannot be deployed on missions), making it useless. Hit three of the five Alloyed SHIVs I built in my first game, causing me to just stop making them. I only made one Hover SHIV, but it wasn't affected by this. Never made a regular SHIV.

Zevox

29. - Top - End - #659
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    What the heck was that? How does a Muton just appear out of nowhere? And he was able to shoot, as he capped Dante for 7 damage. It's like the damn thing learned how to teleport.

I've had a few teleporting aliens as well. Also noticed some chysies go through a wall on a landed supply ship (or was it an abductor?). Had eyes on both the inside and outside of the wall, and they vaulted up/down it like they would jumping up/dropping down the side of a building. No damage to the wall or the roof. Still some screwy bugs to be worked out.
    Last edited by Impnemo; 2012-10-17 at 09:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #660

Kobold

Welp, there's a game of Classic Ironman completed. It actually got pretty easy towards the end, even without super high ranking units. I can't imagine what a breeze the last level would be with six colonels.

I have noticed that reaction fire only seems to trigger on LEAVING a threatened square, which means that if they stop on the very first tile where they have LOS to you, they can shoot you without provoking.

Is there any reason to get the support upgrade that allows reaction fire against shooting? It seems kinda crap, since the whole point of reaction fire is to catch people out of cover, and people generally only shoot from behind cover. Overwatching against someone that's behind cover is just like saying "What if I took a penalty to hit for no reason?"

ENDING

Spoiler
    Show

So the Ethereals invaded because they felt like having humanity battle aliens was the best way to get us to develop into a master race? But then if we win the fight, they go "OH NO BETTER BLOW UP THE EARTH" and if we lose the fight they go "YOU WERE TOO WEAK?" What precisely were they hoping would happen?

Wait a sec, the Ethereals aren't a master race simply because they have weak arms? So they can invent plasma weaponry, but they can't invent steroids?

The last level took two tries, because the first try was a mishmash of terrible luck and terrible UI. I had one rocket go wide, and one rocket hit without dealing damage, and then the Ethereal used Rift to kill two guys and injure a third, who I THOUGHT I moved out of it, but who apparently was juuuuussst barely inside the rift still so he died next turn.

Also, hilariously, my Uberpsyker shared a name with the soldier who finished off the Supreme Alien in my original TFTD playthrough. I had to tell my friend that every time I named someone after him, they saved the world and then exploded.