New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Is there any reason to get the support upgrade that allows reaction fire against shooting? It seems kinda crap, since the whole point of reaction fire is to catch people out of cover, and people generally only shoot from behind cover. Overwatching against someone that's behind cover is just like saying "What if I took a penalty to hit for no reason?"
    Basically. I took that on my first few Supports in my first file, because I thought it would trigger before or during the enemy's shot, therefore potentially either preventing the shot or denying their cover bonus. It does neither, instead triggering after the shot, letting them have their full cover. In fact, it can be an actively negative thing, as if you put someone on overwatch and an alien triggers it by shooting, then an enemy alien moves, you've been denied the reaction shot against the moving alien by your own ability.

So, yeah, just take the extra move distance instead. Strictly a very good thing there.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Basically. I took that on my first few Supports in my first file, because I thought it would trigger before or during the enemy's shot, therefore potentially either preventing the shot or denying their cover bonus. It does neither, instead triggering after the shot, letting them have their full cover. In fact, it can be an actively negative thing, as if you put someone on overwatch and an alien triggers it by shooting, then an enemy alien moves, you've been denied the reaction shot against the moving alien by your own ability.

So, yeah, just take the extra move distance instead. Strictly a very good thing there.

Zevox
    Hrm, I hadn't thought about it that way. If you can see the alien to overwatch them, then you might as well just shoot them now, rather than take the Aim penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see it being useful if you take it and are going for the "Can take two reaction shots" thing later on. That would effectively allow a support to fire twice in a round after moving once; provided 2 enemies within range fire or move. I grant it's a roundabout way of doing it, and you're taking an aim penalty for it, but it's a thing you could do.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, another loss on my Iron Man game. Took a lucky critical from a Muton for 12 damage and dropped just like that, straight from full health. Just a low-rank unit this time, a Corporal Support, one I was training up just so I wouldn't keep using the same two high-rank Supports for my healers. Still, surprising and annoying.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #665
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is it possible to capture a Cryssalid with an Arc Thrower?

I was in the middle of a terror mission, a Cryssalid was closing in on the guy carrying an Arc Thrower. My team shot it up a bit, reducing its health to 2. I tried using the Arc Thrower on it but it kept saying that there were no targets available.

Is this a bug or can they not be caught?

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Chryssalids are immune if I remember right. Once you autopsy them, you can hit the "more info" button when targeting them and it'll show stun immunity I believe.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #667

well bugger them then. Lots of bullets from max range it is so

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

My Normal Ironman playthrough is going exceptionally well so far, but I'm encountering an extremely irritating bug:

My highest level assault is stuck in the "Wounded" state, and has (after months in the infirmary) stubbornly remained that way. I mean it's hardly the end of the world, I have other assaults upcoming, but good gravy is it annoying <x.x>
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I've had more Ironman games end in catastrophic bugs than in defeats.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

I gave up on classic ironman, I'm just doing a regular classic run to get used to it better. It certainly gets much easier once you have both plasma and carapace armor.

I have a couple questions now
    1. Do aliens ever leave cover once they get a spot and go into overwatch? I've had a lot of trouble with thin men in particular where I know they're just out of sight, but I don't want to risk them shooting at me and don't have the ability to safely move for a flank, especially on some of the long narrow maps such as Nigeria.

If they don't ever leave their cover, what's the best way to engage them without putting a squad member at risk?

2. Is there any way to predict what's going to be on a terror mission? I've had some with very few aliens, and another one in which 5 chrysallids ran up to my squad after the first turn.

3. And reiterating my earlier question: Is there a consistent way to tell when a particular position has a line of fire to it? I've seen what seem to be shots that go through walls, and so far the only ones that I'm 100% sure are safe from fire are spots of high cover with high cover on both sides and at least two tiles thick in front.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-18 at 04:22 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

1. In situations like that I find you have two basic options (and really, they work well combined) -

A) An Assault soldier who has Lightning Reflexes. It causes the first reaction shot against that character each round to be an automatic miss; allowing Assault types to close to engage despite enemies being in overwatch. (You can also use this to break Suppression on them just by moving.)

B) A sniper with Battle Scanner - chuck the scanner into the area where you know the guy is, and now you can see their precise location. Then you can fire a rocket or on the next round use your sniper to pick him off.

C) The Combined approach. Use the assault soldier to get into visual range of the target, then let the sniper pick him off. (I'm assuming the sniper has squad sight, because it's almost always better than snap shot. Not always always, but usually.)

2) Terror missions almost always include at least a few Chryssalids. Otherwise it just depends and seems to be pretty random. That said, my solution to terror missions has long been to play them like a normal mission - advance slowly and methodically. I just have to accept half the civvies will probably die. On Normal at least, 9/18 is still considered "Good" so there's that.

3) Not that I know of.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #672
    Pixie in the Playground

I did try Ironman but I got a bug where the pathing through a doorway to the mission objective bugged out. the pathing disappeared which meant I couldn’t get through the doorway anymore... leaving me with only a single soldier to attempt to carry on with. He died horribly and then the aliens wouldn’t come anywhere near the doorway…. I was stuffed, restarted and then just before the doorway an alien froze during the Alien Activity and wouldn't move... I couldn’t face doing it again with the possibility of running into another bug.

That and while I try not to save-scum the times when you miss six 75%+ shots in a row and then lose two of your own who are in heavy cover to long range crits… well… that just didn’t happen, ok? Losing a soldier to my own stupidity or bad positioning is one thing, stupidly lucky aliens is quite another.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debe2233 View Post
    I did try Ironman but I got a bug where the pathing through a doorway to the mission objective bugged out. the pathing disappeared which meant I couldn’t get through the doorway anymore... leaving me with only a single soldier to attempt to carry on with. He died horribly and then the aliens wouldn’t come anywhere near the doorway…. I was stuffed, restarted and then just before the doorway an alien froze during the Alien Activity and wouldn't move... I couldn’t face doing it again with the possibility of running into another bug.
    Ouch. I had that bug happen to me in the doorway to the last room in the final mission. Luckily, it wasn't Ironman, so I just reloaded and continued my merry way.

Speaking of bugs, anyone have trouble landing explosives on Sectopods? They seem to completely ignore rockets and grenades half the time
    Truth resists simplicity.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    1. Do aliens ever leave cover once they get a spot and go into overwatch? I've had a lot of trouble with thin men in particular where I know they're just out of sight, but I don't want to risk them shooting at me and don't have the ability to safely move for a flank, especially on some of the long narrow maps such as Nigeria.
    Yeah, they'll move. Eventually.

If they don't ever leave their cover, what's the best way to engage them without putting a squad member at risk?
    Your best bet for dealing with cover is explosives, assaults (who can flank or flush), or just outnumbering them and firing like crazy.

It's worth keeping in mind that Suppression is excellent against heavy cover once you get lasrifles or plasma weapons simply because it seems to have a high chance of destroying the cover, in addition to reducing the alien's accuracy.

2. Is there any way to predict what's going to be on a terror mission? I've had some with very few aliens, and another one in which 5 chrysallids ran up to my squad after the first turn.
    Generally speaking, you can safely assume that every enemy you've encountered so far will be in a terror mission. If there's less than that, you got lucky. Sectopods, Cyberdiscs, and Chyrsalids are all "Terror Units" who turn up almost exclusively in terror missions, although they're not above boarding the larger ships too.

3. And reiterating my earlier question: Is there a consistent way to tell when a particular position has a line of fire to it? I've seen what seem to be shots that go through walls, and so far the only ones that I'm 100% sure are safe from fire are spots of high cover with high cover on both sides and at least two tiles thick in front.
    It's an arcane mystery, but generally speaking, yeah, you've found the best way to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    B) A sniper with Battle Scanner - chuck the scanner into the area where you know the guy is, and now you can see their precise location. Then you can fire a rocket or on the next round use your sniper to pick him off.
    Strongly reccomend against putting Battle Scanner on a sniper; Disabling Shot will come in far handier.

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    On Normal at least, 9/18 is still considered "Good" so there's that.
    I'm not really sure you have to save any civvies to 'win' the terror mission. I think as long as you respond and kill all the aliens it's technically a mission success, which will get you your panic reduction/prevention, which is all that matters.

Personally, I prefer to avoid saving civvies so that they can draw fire for me.

That and while I try not to save-scum the times when you miss six 75%+ shots in a row and then lose two of your own who are in heavy cover to long range crits… well… that just didn’t happen, ok? Losing a soldier to my own stupidity or bad positioning is one thing, stupidly lucky aliens is quite another.
    But insane rolls of the dice are what made Xcom great! The most memorable parts of my Xcom UFO playthrough were

1. When a soldier attempted to fire at a chrysallid, but his laser went off at a 45 degree angle through both windows of a house and killed his teammate on the other side of the house

2. When my best gunman got mind controlled and then kept emerging from the shadows to slaughter rookies. We eventually completed the mission, but due to a bug, winning while someone's mind controlled doesn't save them, so they're reported "MISSING." I like to think we didn't look too hard
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

The more civilians you save, the better the panic reduction. I'd imagine that at a Terrible rating, it doesn't drop at all.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #676

NecromancerGirl

I have a couple questions now
    1. Do aliens ever leave cover once they get a spot and go into overwatch? I've had a lot of trouble with thin men in particular where I know they're just out of sight, but I don't want to risk them shooting at me and don't have the ability to safely move for a flank, especially on some of the long narrow maps such as Nigeria. If they don't ever leave their cover, what's the best way to engage them without putting a squad member at risk?
    Generally speaking, I've always managed to take them out before they move. I equip my assaults with rifles, giving them more range and always choose lightning reflexes for when I need to move up.

Grenades, rockets, and sometimes suppression can also be used to destroy cover. In this respect I've found suppression to be very useful as not only does it keep the alien in place and sometimes destroy cover, but if you have holo-targeting you get a better chance to hit even if they remain in cover. And paired with mayhem you deal a little bit of damage as well.

. Is there any way to predict what's going to be on a terror mission? I've had some with very few aliens, and another one in which 5 chrysallids ran up to my squad after the first turn.
    Basically no. In the later months of the game, I actually stopped coming across chrysallids and saw more sectopods and heavy floaters in terror missions.

That being said, saving and reloading before the mission starts randomizes the map and the enemies on it.

This either seems to be a common bug or an issue with the engine itself. I see this all the time where I get shot through what should be heavy cover and the cover isn't destroyed first. I've chalked it up to giving the aliens an unfair advantage.

Strongly reccomend against putting Battle Scanner on a sniper; Disabling Shot will come in far handier.
    Really? Even though I didn't use the scanner all the time, I think it's more useful to have access to better visibility than to disable a single alien for a turn. I'd rather kill him outright and remove him as a threat.
    Last edited by Toastkart; 2012-10-18 at 08:29 AM.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Pixie in the Playground

But insane rolls of the dice are what made Xcom great! The most memorable parts of my Xcom UFO playthrough were

1. When a soldier attempted to fire at a chrysallid, but his laser went off at a 45 degree angle through both windows of a house and killed his teammate on the other side of the house

2. When my best gunman got mind controlled and then kept emerging from the shadows to slaughter rookies. We eventually completed the mission, but due to a bug, winning while someone's mind controlled doesn't save them, so they're reported "MISSING." I like to think we didn't look too hard
    I know, I know… I don’t feel good about it. I’ve had soldiers die and not reloaded… even my favs that die from moving and discovering four aliens who then proceed to completely surround the poor chap and blasted him with so much plasma that identification was only available through the blackened silhouette of a flattop hair style burned into the freight container he was hiding behind.

My bad… no reload.

During a terror mission a very heavy firefight takes place, much plasma exchanged, during the engagement a lucky shot takes out my beloved medic.
    Bad luck, no reload.

So far during my classic campaign I’ve reloaded 4 times. Once was the six shots two deaths event. Once was a bug, and the other two times were the same mission where there were about 10 aliens within 10 tiles of the start.

A wrong move discovered all 10 at the same time which led to me getting completely surrounded/flanked and shot to ribbons. A second attempt led to the same thing. Third time I managed to kill all of them with three losses and two critical injuries to my five man squad and… I took that… it was an absolutely brutal mission.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    This either seems to be a common bug or an issue with the engine itself. I see this all the time where I get shot through what should be heavy cover and the cover isn't destroyed first. I've chalked it up to giving the aliens an unfair advantage.
    Your soldiers can shoot through solid walls at enemies that are clearly not in their LoS. It happens so often, particularly in overwatch, that several of the reviews mentioned it. So it is not an unfair advantage, just a limitation of the LoS engine (which probably works like 4e, in that you can pick any corner of your square to draw it from).

Really? Even though I didn't use the scanner all the time, I think it's more useful to have access to better visibility than to disable a single alien for a turn. I'd rather kill him outright and remove him as a threat.
    Have you met sectopods? Because those things are ridiculously hard to kill - first mission I encountered them my heavy was a squadie in training which didn't have HEAT. Were it not for my sniper just disabling it each sectopod for the couple of turns of all-hands firing that it took to bring them down, I would've been slaughtered.

It also makes capturing aliens much easier, and I would imagine that at high difficulties when you need to capture to steal their weapons, it is invaluable.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

Battle Scanner is insanely good; throw it right and you'll spot and pick off spawns before they get a chance to do anything. Besides this, it cuts down on risk immensely by giving you clear forewarning of pending threats. Great in all environments; close quarters and wide open spaces. The only time I'd ever find Disabling Shot better is vs Sectopods, but I have Heavies (_lots_ of Heavies) and HEAT munitions for that, or when trying to capture. One of the IMO mandatory picks for Ironman Impossible (II). If you're rocking Assault, Battle Scanners are doubly important, allowing you to look before you leap.

As for dealing with aliens in cover, mass heavies and suppression + explosives is my favourite option, or just plain good ol oversight camping. Follow up with squadsight snipers.

My dream team which has worked exceedingly well in II thus far (currently have lasers + carapace) is 3 heavies, 2 squad sight snipers and 1 heal + suppression orientated support.

Heavies straight up go for the left side of the tree. The only truly hard choice I've ever had to make on their advancement was Shredder vs Suppression. In the end, it's all about the cover destruction + guaranteed AoE damage + damage buff. Support I use as suppression where needed.

Snipers are Squadsight (mandatory upgrade IMO), Gunslinger (DGG isn't all that useful/reliable by comparison until late game with Archangel armor when the aim bonus isn't so good; compensates for no Snap Shot), Battle Scanner. Plan to take Opportunist (obvious choice; Executioner is awful) & Double Tap (more reliable than In The Zone).

Support is all left side excepting Covering Fire & Rifle Suppression.

20. - Top - End - #680

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Your soldiers can shoot through solid walls at enemies that are clearly not in their LoS. It happens so often, particularly in overwatch, that several of the reviews mentioned it. So it is not an unfair advantage, just a limitation of the LoS engine (which probably works like 4e, in that you can pick any corner of your square to draw it from).
    Ah. I don't recall my soldiers ever being able to do so, as they typically step out from cover to fire. Or in the case of overwatch, they usually miss anyway even if they fire through some cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Have you met sectopods? Because those things are ridiculously hard to kill - first mission I encountered them my heavy was a squadie in training which didn't have HEAT. Were it not for my sniper just disabling it each sectopod for the couple of turns of all-hands firing that it took to bring them down, I would've been slaughtered.

It also makes capturing aliens much easier, and I would imagine that at high difficulties when you need to capture to steal their weapons, it is invaluable.

Grey Wolf
    With the exception of the very first time I encountered a sectopod, where it revealed itself so far away it was out of sight/range but could still attack, I don't usually have too many problems with them. Unless I have a difficult time actually hitting it, the sectopod never gets more than one turn, and I can usually survive one turn of its fire.

Now, as for higher difficulties, I should have prefaced that so far I've only played on normal.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

Just lost a couple of men, not because I accidentally sent them to their doom, but 1) because the engine really doesn't like multi-level space ships, and will in fact swich what level you currently have as your target destination mid-click and apparently 2) packs of floaters can just go through spaceship walls.

I don't mind losing men to my stupidity, but I do mind losing them because the game wasn't bug/play-tested enough to get rid of its problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

While I have no problem with save-scumming if you're not playing in ironman, I would point out that you probably don't reset your game when you take that 25% shot at an alien in high cover and get the lucky kill, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post

Speaking of bugs, anyone have trouble landing explosives on Sectopods? They seem to completely ignore rockets and grenades half the time
    I haven't had trouble with sectopods specifically, but I did have a squaddie with a dud grenade last night. It was really weird. Basically, I had him use his grenade, and it gave me the cursor showing the line of the throw and the marker where it would end up, but there was no blast radius while I was aiming no matter where I put the cursor. I thought it was just a graphics glitch and had him throw the grenade, but then he threw it and it rolled and then didn't explode. I was sad.

That being said, saving and reloading before the mission starts randomizes the map and the enemies on it.
    Any file where this is possible also renders it unnecessary.
    I'm in love with disabling shot as the easiest way to pull off a capture. Especially early on it always drops aliens to 1-2 life so you get the best capture rate and you can take it first so that if you miss you don't have to risk a soldier getting close that turn. Suppression+disabling shot so that the alien can neither fire nor move is by far the safest way to capture something.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Battle Scanner is insanely good; throw it right and you'll spot and pick off spawns before they get a chance to do anything.
    Spot yes, pick off, not so much. Although sometimes you can find that one square that's just close enough to shoot but not alert the aliens, usually getting within firing range after you spot them with a scanner causes them to scatter.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

23. - Top - End - #683
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Well, another major loss in my Iron Man game. This time on my first fairly large UFO (landing), the one where the talky-men comment that it seems to be the UFO used in abductions. Faced a huge force of Mutons, a Berserker, plus a Cyberdisk and drones outside of it - in fact, everything I faced except the three Sectoid Commanders in the bridge showed up outside of it. I used rockets to try and clear out the Mutons as fast as possible, but some grenades and a shot from the Cyberdisk later, Captain Victor Von Doom was dead, robbing me of one of my only two high-rank Heavies. Came close to losing a Support I'm training up, Storm, as well.

And I had this very strange event which I swear must be a bug of some kind, but for the life of me I don't know it worked. I had Dante and Arthur sitting on the corner of one of the UFO's front walls, because I'd heard something moving on the side of the ship as I was preparing to enter the front doors (turned out to be another Cyberdisk, unrelated to the bug here). Had them - and everyone else on my team, who was behind them, but mostly in sight of them - on overwatch. Suddenly, a 2-hp Muton, one of the survivors of a rocket I launched earlier, appears completely out of nowhere right next to Dante. He did not come around the corner, as he was at Dante's back, and I had sight everywhere else around those characters, obviously, but he was just there, and did not set off any of my overwatches or Dante's ability that gives him a reaction shot on anything moving to within 4 spaces of him. What the heck was that? How does a Muton just appear out of nowhere? And he was able to shoot, as he capped Dante for 7 damage. It's like the damn thing learned how to teleport.

It actually worked out in my favor in the end, because I hadn't captured a Muton yet, and Dante happened to be the guy with my Arc Thrower, but still, what the hell?

Zevox
    I had this same bug on that mission, except it was a cyberdisc instead of a muton.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I've had a Sectopod appear right on top of my squad.

Fortunately, it was at the start of my turn, so I basically instantly killed it.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

I had it happen to me with a berzerker. Consider yourselves lucky.

Y'know, this is a fairly glitchy game, but so was the original X-Com, so I'm not taking away points because of it.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

26. - Top - End - #686

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I had that same exact issue, and against my very first Secto, too. Lost three whole men to the thing before finally taking it down and fleeing back into the Skyranger with the surviving half of my team. I figured, with losses like that at the very start of the mission, there was no way I'd be taking down the Ethereal waiting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I've had a Sectopod appear right on top of my squad.

Fortunately, it was at the start of my turn, so I basically instantly killed it.
    That was what the second Sectopod I met did. Parked right next to an assault guy on a roof, about three-fourths of the way through a terror mission. Luckily, this one was a hell of a lot more vulnerable to explosions.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-10-18 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

Spot yes, pick off, not so much. Although sometimes you can find that one square that's just close enough to shoot but not alert the aliens, usually getting within firing range after you spot them with a scanner causes them to scatter.
    Pick off is correct; rockets and/or snipers.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Glitches I've had...

Sectoportation: A Sectopod, once alerted, just kind of sat in the open doing nothing. As they do. I didn't kill it in one turn, 'cause I wasn't full plasma yet and my Heavy was on the opposite side of my formation and had already shot. Well, at least it wasn't flanking me. Then, bam. It's somehow immediately right in the middle of my force and every piece of cover within about 7 squares of it just disappeared. One of my Supports took two shots to the face and died. I was most displeased.

They're coming through the walls: Encounter Cryssalids in a landed UFO. Their reaction is to immediately run through the UFO's exterior wall, out of sight. Wasn't a big deal because it was the Terror ship and there were areas to access the outside, but still darned wierd.

I can't let you do that, Psi-dude: Psychic mind controls a Muton Elite as the last action of my turn. Kind of a desperation move, since the thing was probably going to grenade a couple of my troops. Game does not resolve mind control attempt. Cannot take any actions. Cannot access menu. Cannot end turn. Game over, load your last save.

Nuclear Tetsujin: Terror mission. Twelve civilians still alive (I focus on killing the aliens rather than wasting time rescuing civilians who aren't in any danger anyways), one alien left. My troops are closing on him, looks like an unmitigated success. Alien's turn: It shoots all of the civilians. At once. Through walls, cover, different hights, whatever. All dead. Looked wierd as hell (like some sort of evil plasma flower), ruined a near-perfect mission. This one wierds me out the most; I don't even know how you could code the AI to make this a possibility, much less the game engine?
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

As for that last one, I once mind-controlled a Muton on a terror mission, and it could target all civvies on the map. Even while under my control.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

I'm getting the sense that the game just doesn't track actual movement for out of sight aliens. It assigns them a location, sure, but it doesn't actually track their movements, so sometimes they just sort of pop up in weird places. Examples I can give

1. The roof must not work well during rain either: There was a sectoid that was on the roof of a UFO. It withdrew into fog of war and I decided to just board the UFO and get it later. This was a small scout, you can see the entire ship and I had guys overwatching all the entrances. Next turn, one of my troops moves into the ship, the same sectoid shoots him with overwatch while hiding behind the central console, which hadn't been visible until I moved in.

2. Schroedinger's chrysalid: During the alien base on my file where I could save, I tried a couple different opening moves. If I had the assault run and gun on the first turn, she would find 4 total chrysalids and be able to shoot at 2 of the 4. If I didn't, waited a turn and then moved up, there were no chrysalids and then on the other side of the door there were only 3 chrysalids. I guess the 4th one ended up in the wrong quantum state.

3. Who knew Mutons were so fast?: On my turn I move up a support with blue move to reveal a muton. My squad all shoots and misses, the support moves back so he won't be in the line of fire. Next turn, alien sound effects but no sound waves indicating location. Support moves up, no visible muton. I reload, have him dash all over the map. No muton. It appears a turn later at a completely different location near one of my snipers.

4. I guess the sound waves got tired?: A squad of three thin men confronts my group. I shoot two of them, and the third withdraws into fog of war. I think it's behind the only piece of high cover in that direction, confirm with a squaddie, but there's only one good piece of cover in range of it and I don't want to risk anyone getting shot. It's doing the overwatch and stay still thing, so I start working on aliens on the right side of the map, figuring I'll kill them, then go all the way around to flank the thin man. After a few turns, the alien sounds stop completely, even though my sniper, who was the closest guy, hasn't moved. A few more turns later, I shifted the sniper because he didn't have a line of fire for squad sight. Thin man pops up, overwatch crit.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes