New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Open question to the thread: What do y'all think about Assaults with rifles instead of shotguns? I've been experimenting with the setup, and I have to say I like it. It offers less damage than point-blank shotguns, but also offers a lot more range and makes Assaults be able to Overwatch worth a damn. And it's not like a point-blank Rifle Rapid Fire doesn't drop pretty much everything anyway. Overall, it just feels like a superior option.
    It's certainly a good alternative, one I've used a lot. I was using it almost exclusively for a while, but I'm growing to like shotguns more, simply because run-and-gun synergizes so well with them and their damage and criticals are so impressive. Still, in my last game I was using one of each by the end, so I'm hardly giving up on rifle Assaults.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    It's certainly a good alternative, one I've used a lot. I was using it almost exclusively for a while, but I'm growing to like shotguns more, simply because run-and-gun synergizes so well with them and their damage and criticals are so impressive. Still, in my last game I was using one of each by the end, so I'm hardly giving up on rifle Assaults.

Zevox
    Also plasma rifles are free!
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Also plasma rifles are free!
    Only relevant for about a month. And during the period where I only have plasma and can't afford alloy shotguns I always give my assaults assault rifles, even if I'm otherwise building them entirely for shotgun usage.

Early on shotguns get guaranteed kills on sectoids and thin men that assault rifles don't. Later on, alloy cannon are noticeably stronger than plasma rifles and you have enough cash to get whatever you want.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just finished my Normal playthrough (yeah, I'm a wimp, so sue me ). Lots of fun. Ended up with 12 casualties in total which was not too bad, especially not when I thought about where they were.
    Tutorial Mission: Lost 3 guys, predetermined outcome
    First Alien Base Assault: Lost 3 guys, very difficult encounter that I was not super happy about losing 3 guys on, but we were practically rookies at the time, Carapace and ARs, so not going to be too hard on myself for that one.
    Time from First Alien Base Assault to Final Mission: Lost 3 guys, 2 to unlucky crits on guys in cover by the aliens during abduction missions (and the two soldiers to die in very similar ways were named after two brothers I know IRL), and the last an unfortunate rookie on his first mission who was the first and only guy to die breaching a UFO before I got SHIVs to do the dirty work.
    Final Mission: Lost 3 guys, all of them Mind Controlled (in the same freaking round!) and forced into terrible circumstances.

So yeah, over 30 missions I only lost 3 guys on normal missions, and my other casualties were on what I think were the two hardest story missions. Not too bad overall. And lots of fun.

Now onto my completely for fun Warhammer 40K styled game. Easy Difficulty, all 4 hero units, rock and roll. . Space Marines vs. Sectoids is just hilarious, and Sid Meier is broken beyond all reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Feriority View Post
    Finally finished the game.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually... I was wondering if there might have been an alternate ending if you kill the other enemies and not the super-Ethereal. It doesn't sound like there is, but maybe you're supposed to mind-control it to prove yourself, or something? I doubt there's actually a secret ending, but it would make marginally more sense... pop psi inspiration right before triggering the fight, trigger and mindfray as much as you can, and then try to mind-control it? But you'd have to do that in a single turn, since once it acts it'll mind-control someone and become immune...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The uber was immune to MC even before it acted in my game (I managed to spot it but in that way that it didn't see me and trigger the other Ethereal warp ins). I had my volunteer pump up on Inspiration before running into the room specifically to try and MC an Ethereal for the Xavier achievement. When I targeted him with MC it said he was immune to it before I ever triggered him. When I targeted him immediately after triggering it still said immune. I think he's just plain immune to it and there is no alternate ending.

Did MC one of the other Ethereals for the achievement, and got him to rift himself and his buddy, which was fun, but the uber was just plain immune to MC.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feriority View Post
    Finally finished the game.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually... I was wondering if there might have been an alternate ending if you kill the other enemies and not the super-Ethereal. It doesn't sound like there is, but maybe you're supposed to mind-control it to prove yourself, or something? I doubt there's actually a secret ending, but it would make marginally more sense... pop psi inspiration right before triggering the fight, trigger and mindfray as much as you can, and then try to mind-control it? But you'd have to do that in a single turn, since once it acts it'll mind-control someone and become immune...
    Spoiler
    Show
    There isn't. I killed head guy last, not knowing killing him would end the game. I had taken my assaults up the high ground on the wings, so when the enemies popped out, run and gun shotguns took care of the side ethereals, while my volunteer mentally controlled one of the mutons, which cancelled head guy's turn. My next turn, the other mutton went down and, after 2 rebounded attacks on head guy, sheer weight of numbers finally brought him down. No special ending.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-10-23 at 12:00 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #876

Can people give some details about the Hero units..?

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Rename the unit to the appropriate name. Enjoy your super unit, but you can't get achievements.

Spoiler
    Show
    Joe Kelly - Heavy
    Ken Levine - Sniper
    Otto Zander - Assault
    Sid Meier- Support
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we know of any besides Sid Meier? I tried Jake Solomon, but it didn't work.

Also, on the assault question, in my experience, the Alloy Cannon is the only shotgun worth using. And even then, I still have all but one of the assaults using plasma.

EDIT: Wow, question answered in ninja post.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-10-23 at 05:00 PM.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Do we know of any besides Sid Meier? I tried Jake Solomon, but it didn't work.

Also, on the assault question, in my experience, the Alloy Cannon is the only shotgun worth using. And even then, I still have all but one of the assaults using plasma.
    I feel like I'm the only shotgun defender here. Anyway, the first regular shotgun is amazing. One of the biggest upgrades when promoting a rookie to an assault is that you know, 100% guaranteed that if you hit a sectoid or a thin man on classic, your shotgun will kill it. Assault rifles lots of times end up doing just 2 damage, or sometimes 3 to a thin man, but the shotgun will get the kill. That makes a humongous difference because it's the kind of variance you get on assault rifles that ends up leading to dead soldiers.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Only problem being all the poision your shotgun troops end up swallowing from thin men.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Only problem being all the poision your shotgun troops end up swallowing from thin men.
    Give them a medkit? It's the only case of AI cheating that I've noticed: thin men can tell which targets are immune to poison and won't target them with spit.

I'm with Anarion. Shotguns are great in Assaults. If I want/need a rifle, I can throw in a support guy. Rifle seldom needs run and gun since distance doesn't factor (much) into hit chance. My assaults did get the best guns when I needed to hit at a distance, for those crucial last few HPs.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-10-23 at 12:36 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Do you mean from the spit or from their death? If it's from them dying, just don't move right next to the thin man. You will still hit them being 1 square away and the poison explosion never hits the assault as long as there's a one square space. They also won't get poisoned if they shoot around a corner.

If you mean from the spit, that's certainly an issue, but it's one related to not moving into unsafe spaces. If you're running your assault up blind or into a large group of enemies without a way to finish them off, you're asking for way more pain than just getting poisoned. The spit shouldn't be an issue because there shouldn't be other thin men firing on your assault (or if there are, it's a calculated risk and you were equally prepared to eat a plasma rifle crit).

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Give them a medkit? It's the only case of AI cheating that I've noticed: thin men can tell which targets are immune to poison and won't target them with spit.

I'm with Anarion. Shotguns are great in Assaults. If I want/need a rifle, I can throw in a support guy. Rifle seldom needs run and gun since distance doesn't factor (much) into hit chance. My assaults did get the best guns when I needed to hit at a distance, for those crucial last few HPs.

Grey Wolf
    I still prefer grenades, but I appreciate the support otherwise and agree with the overlap between supports and assaults.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Rename the unit to the appropriate name. Enjoy your super unit, but you can't get achievements.

Spoiler
    Show
    Joe Kelly - Heavy
    Ken Levine - Sniper
    Otto Zander - Assault
    Sid Meier- Support
    What kind of stats do these units have?

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I still prefer grenades, but I appreciate the support otherwise and agree with the overlap between supports and assaults.
    I like the +2 shirts at first, then the capturing device once I have it. But then, I never had a problem with thin men. Being poisoned is the least bad of insta-hits of the game (-3HP over three turns over being grenade'd? Yes please). But for all I know it is an issue in high difficulties - in which case, switching to the medikit is an excellent choice. But not that rifle is better than shotgun because of poison.

That said, I can't counteract Surrealistik's claim that shotguns are just dangerous. Everything I hear about spawning points in Impossible indicates that shotguns are extremely risky. But I wonder if once you have stealth they don't go back to being awesome. There is precious few enemies that can take two shotgun hits in a turn and stay upright, and for those you have HEAT. With better guns, too, the distance overwatch is covered. There is a point in which overwatch becomes wasted, since they all attack at once rather than one at a time and, if the enemy is killed, the others keep their shots.

Grey Wolf

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    That said, I can't counteract Surrealistik's claim that shotguns are just dangerous. Everything I hear about spawning points in Impossible indicates that shotguns are extremely risky. But I wonder if once you have stealth they don't go back to being awesome. There is precious few enemies that can take two shotgun hits in a turn and stay upright, and for those you have HEAT. With better guns, too, the distance overwatch is covered. There is a point in which overwatch becomes wasted, since they all attack at once rather than one at a time and, if the enemy is killed, the others keep their shots.

Grey Wolf
    They are. I've got an impossible run going (not ironman, just regular) and triggering spawns is a constant problem. That said, I find it to be a problem in several different ways, not one unique to the use of shotguns. Anything that requires shifting around your soldiers for better angles is likely to trigger more spawns there, and I don't see much that's reliable in that regard except lots of explosives and use of squad sight snipers and withdrawing. I haven't yet found assaults with shotguns to be any worse than most other stuff, and having a 15% hit chance with a shotgun at range doesn't affect your tactics at all because you weren't going to stand there with a 45% hit chance either, since missing is basically guaranteed to see that squad member die.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like I'm the only shotgun defender here. Anyway, the first regular shotgun is amazing. One of the biggest upgrades when promoting a rookie to an assault is that you know, 100% guaranteed that if you hit a sectoid or a thin man on classic, your shotgun will kill it. Assault rifles lots of times end up doing just 2 damage, or sometimes 3 to a thin man, but the shotgun will get the kill. That makes a humongous difference because it's the kind of variance you get on assault rifles that ends up leading to dead soldiers.
    The CQC damage differential between Laser/Plasma Rifles and their Shotgun equivalents isn't worth the loss in range and flexibility, at least on Impossible. One shotting common Mutons with a crit is the main argument in favour of the Alloy Cannon.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    The CQC damage differential between Laser/Plasma Rifles and their Shotgun equivalents isn't worth the loss in range and flexibility, at least on Impossible. One shotting common Mutons with a crit is the main argument in favour of the Alloy Cannon.
    I'll let you know my take on that when I get further into my impossible run, but I'm not sure I agree based on my playstyle. Also, 1-shotting a common muton seems like a worthwhile thing to do.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll let you know my take on that when I get further into my impossible run, but I'm not sure I agree based on my playstyle. Also, 1-shotting a common muton seems like a worthwhile thing to do.
    To be fair, I didn't really use Assaults all that much and when I did, they were more back up stopgaps for injured Heavies.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, I didn't really use Assaults all that much and when I did, they were more back up stopgaps for injured Heavies.
    I generally take one assault with me and use it for a few purposes. First, the defense bonus makes them ideal for hunkering down in front if you want the aliens to stay in place and fire. Second, if I'm falling back with all troops, I keep the assault furthest forward, again to draw fire and if aliens advance the assault becomes a solo kill with a high % chance of success. Third, if I've cleared out most of a room and am not worried about triggering a spawn, run and gun with a shotgun gives me a guaranteed kill when I need it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ettin in the Playground

I will definitely say that they made good forward scouts due to the defense bonus and Lightning Reflexes when I used them, and didn't have Battlescanners to spare.

Still, I didn't feel they justified losing HEAT, the higher DPT and 3 rockets/2 nades worth of cover clearing and guaranteed AoE damage.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

I will definitely say that they made good forward scouts due to the defense bonus and Lightning Reflexes when I used them, and didn't have Battlescanners to spare.

Still, I didn't feel they justified losing HEAT, the higher DPT and 3 rockets/2 nades worth of cover clearing and guaranteed AoE damage.
    Really? They are, bar none, the best at live capturing aliens. For this alone, I prefer them over Heavy. Heck, I'd run 3x Assault, 2x Sniper, and Support before I'd run 3x Heavy, 2x Sniper, and Support.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Really? They are, bar none, the best at live capturing aliens. For this alone, I prefer them over Heavy. Heck, I'd run 3x Assault, 2x Sniper, and Support before I'd run 3x Heavy, 2x Sniper, and Support.
    I do take Assault along when I'm specifically looking to capture aliens, but my default, general purpose wrecking crew remains the latter as it strikes the best balance between killing efficiency and safety in my experience.

3x Assault though is kind of silly; you need cover destruction for Snipers to work optimally.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

I do take Assault along when I'm specifically looking to capture aliens, but my default, general purpose wrecking crew remains the latter as it strikes the best balance between killing efficiency and safety in my experience.

3x Assault though is kind of silly; you need cover destruction for Snipers to work optimally.
    Snipers become less necessary with 3x Assaults coordinating their movements to flank and exterminate. Just be careful of those Mutons and their grenades...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

24. - Top - End - #894

I just had a very cool move where I used an Assault to Flush Out an enemy, while said enemy was in proximity to another Assault..

Guess who got a shotgun reaction shot? Awesome teamwork.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Was anybody else using flying snipers by the end? I don't know how effective it was, really, as this was on a normal runthrough, but I did enjoy having flying death machines smiting xenos from across the map.

I am somewhat ashamed of playing on normal, but my troops kept insisting on being slaughtered at the alien base on Classic and making the game unwinnable, and eventually I just wanted to beat the thing before doing a very hard run without spending too much time restarting.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-10-23 at 04:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

So new team I just used successfully in two MP matches:

Sniper, Dead Eye type, Plasma Sniper Rifle and Archangel Armor (5200pts)
    Sectoid Commander (3200pts)
    Sectoid x4 (1600pts)

First turn the Commander uses Greater Mind Merge to boost all of the sectoids, who are then used as scouts for the sniper's Squadsight. The Sniper and Commander stay back because the Sniper doesn't need to advance and if the Commander dies, all of the others die. If something does get close, he can use Mind Control. Sectoids use Overwatch and Suppression excessively, and the sniper takes shots where it can, taking full advantage of the hieght bonus from the Archangel armor.

I initially went about building this team with two Commanders in mind, but with the remaining points, it was impossible to get a good sniper AND fodder.
    Last edited by Krade; 2012-10-23 at 05:08 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Joe Kelly - Heavy
    Ken Levine - Sniper
    Otto Zander - Assault
    Sid Meier- Support
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really, Otto Zander made it in...

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

So, new DLC has been announced.
    Eugh, nothing in that list excites me. Zhang sounds like either a waste of money or a total game breaker, and I do not like the idea of paying to get early access to the end-game tech. I don't want the campaign to turn into "Zhang and a bunch of nobodies save the Earth", but neither do I want to pay money for a character who will probably get introduced to the wonders of the Chryssalid reproductive system or get zapped by a Muton on his first mission. I think I'm going to avoid this unless the new missions turn out to be awesome. What do you guys think?
    Also, which poor fool is going to have to explain to the council why we are letting a gangster inside a top-secret base?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-10-23 at 07:16 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I admit I'm not impressed with the sound of that DLC. Depending on cost I may buy it solely for the customization options; but I admit I have a hard time justifying even 10 bucks for it. (5 I'd be willing to do... 10 is pushing it.)
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well, I'm in favor of even more appearance customization options. As for the rest, meh, we'll see how it turns out I guess. It could work.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-10-23 at 07:50 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.