Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Hiro Protagonest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I'm going to venture a guess that the PC version is the one everyone's playing with all these killer bugs. I have the 360 version, and so far I haven't experienced anything but a little bit of struggling with map elevation inside UFOs and the occaisional bit of lag during an alien activity phase. Definitely nothing game breaking. No crashes. All of my SHIVs have worked fine, too.
    Zevox is the one with the SHIV bug, and he also experienced the Mind-link Fog-of-War bug.

  2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reynard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ppbbbtttthhhhppttt...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I've got my own bugs, and haven't encountered either the SHIV or the FoW bug. The Sniper-Pistol bug is pretty common, but the two that have an actuall effect on gameplay for me are:

    > Battle Scanners will sink into the floor and reveal sweet bugger all, unless I make them land on some piece of cover or random decoration.

    > Grenades like to fall through the floor and into the abyss below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #1143
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Favor request: can somebody suggest a naming theme for my next playthrough?
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    XCOM: Adeptus Astartes

    4 men, the best of the best. No replacement. Only SHIVs can join them on mission.

  5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Favor request: can somebody suggest a naming theme for my next playthrough?
    Go to IMDB pages for episodes of Star Trek ToS. Look up the names of actors credited as playing Ensigns.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-10-30 at 02:13 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  6. - Top - End - #1146
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Go to IMDB pages for episodes of Star Trek ToS. Look up the names of actors credited as playing Ensigns.
    Hah!

    I personally just gave rookies red armor and a helmet, until they gained a nickname then they got to change color.
    Psychics got to remove the helmet.

  7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Favor request: can somebody suggest a naming theme for my next playthrough?
    Dwarves from all Lord of the Rings settings. You have to field them together based on which ones have the alliterative or rhyming names.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

  8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cespenar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Favor request: can somebody suggest a naming theme for my next playthrough?
    Republic Commando. Jagged Alliance 2. Borderlands 1-2. Shall I go on?
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1


  9. - Top - End - #1149
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Dwarves from all Lord of the Rings settings. You have to field them together based on which ones have the alliterative or rhyming names.
    This is a brilliant idea.
    Anarion is amazing and you should listen to him
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-10-30 at 02:35 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    The only bug I have encountered so far (PS3) is that sometimes when I insert the disc, it will start tracking like mad (i.e. I can hear the disk constantly being accessed in bursts). It is not only a very annoying sound, it heralds what will be a slower game altogether, as all loadings take much longer.

    Other than that, the occasional shooting through, rather than around, walls is about it.

    Grey Wolf
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  11. - Top - End - #1151
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The only bug I have encountered so far (PS3) is that sometimes when I insert the disc, it will start tracking like mad (i.e. I can hear the disk constantly being accessed in bursts). It is not only a very annoying sound, it heralds what will be a slower game altogether, as all loadings take much longer.

    Other than that, the occasional shooting through, rather than around, walls is about it.

    Grey Wolf
    Maybe you need a new disc?
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Zevox is the one with the SHIV bug, and he also experienced the Mind-link Fog-of-War bug.
    And just in case KillianHawkeye is unaware, I'm on the 360 version. I've seen everything from minor visual problems to the above-referenced game-breaking Sectoid mind-link bug, so yeah, the 360 version has plenty of bugs to go around.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I guess I've just been lucky so far.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Maybe you need a new disc?
    Possibly. But I've no idea of how to go about it. can I take it to the shop where I bought it and switch it, no questions asked? Is there such thing as warranty for ps3 games?

    GW
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  15. - Top - End - #1155
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I've launched satellites that never reached orbit (but consumed uplink).


    I've had my own troops teleport around to areas off the beaten path. Was in the battleship just past the first big pit room, at the area with the three wide sniper perches. I had my sniper immediately behind the middle perch and had her grapple up. She got flung across the room and wound up standing in air at the highest z-level between the two seperated walk ways. She could not move from or see out of her spot, except grapple allowed her to get on some otherwise non accessible wreckage and from there I was able to grapple back to the map proper.

    I've downed UFOs over deep blue ocean and sent teams to fight the survivors on mountainous treeline maps. Some bugs features are more disruptive than others.
    Last edited by Impnemo; 2012-10-30 at 06:30 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    As a word of warning, don't try to use flight armor to land in the inside of a train. I got a soldier stuck inside the ground by doing that on the bomb diffusion map that has the long train splitting it in half.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

  17. - Top - End - #1157
    Troll in the Playground
     
    turkishproverb's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under a 1st Ed AD&D DMG

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Favor request: can somebody suggest a naming theme for my next playthrough?
    Giantitp forum members!
    Avatar by Akirim.Elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

    OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

  18. - Top - End - #1158
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    So... Trying to stop myself from save-scumming but not wanting to do Iron Man I am now limiting myself to one save per battle so if I decide to start over I really have to start the entire fight over.

    The Random Number God can be very cruel at times... I can see the point of some of the more rabid original fans that say the RNG plays too much of a role in combat here, especially since it seems... less than random at times. This morning I was doing fine until I missed 4 80%+ shots in a row. I then reloaded, and the next time I instead hit 4 40% shots in a row.

    There IS a growing suspicion on the official forums that the RNG is wonky.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-10-31 at 03:06 AM.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    So far I have no issues with the RNG. I'm a tabletop gamer by nature and I've come to expect missing '95%' shots because that's how 'Random' works.

    My issue so far is when dealing with multiple storey levels and trying to click the correct tile I want my guy to go to...Instead of Dashing down two levels and running into Muton Elites like an idiot.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    So far I have no issues with the RNG. I'm a tabletop gamer by nature and I've come to expect missing '95%' shots because that's how 'Random' works.

    My issue so far is when dealing with multiple storey levels and trying to click the correct tile I want my guy to go to...Instead of Dashing down two levels and running into Muton Elites like an idiot.
    You have to be really careful, I have noticed. In fact that is the main reason I have started over fights: The moron runs off somewhere where I didn't mean to click.

    Also, satelites, FINALLY. Canada, South Africa and Egypt will be so happy.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    So... Trying to stop myself from save-scumming but not wanting to do Iron Man I am now limiting myself to one save per battle so if I decide to start over I really have to start the entire fight over.

    The Random Number God can be very cruel at times... I can see the point of some of the more rabid original fans that say the RNG plays too much of a role in combat here, especially since it seems... less than random at times. This morning I was doing fine until I missed 4 80%+ shots in a row. I then reloaded, and the next time I instead hit 4 40% shots in a row.

    There IS a growing suspicion on the official forums that the RNG is wonky.

    The response to this is that there are ways to stack the RNG in your favor. Grenades do not miss. Rookies should use grenades and you should not be afraid to blow up aliens early on. When your team has plasma weapons and heavy armor, you can get as many weapon fragments as you need. In the opening couple months, it's good to bring a heavy on every mission and have a rocket ready. If you make the hit percentages, then hurray your guys killed the aliens. If you don't, you start flinging grenades and rockets with the last couple guys.

    High cover with high cover on both sides of it will (almost) never have LoS to the aliens. It's usually correct if you trigger a group to move back around corners and get them to come to you, advancing slowly and carefully. Once you have squadsight snipers, there's often no reason to end your turn with any soldiers in line of fire to aliens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

    My issue so far is when dealing with multiple storey levels and trying to click the correct tile I want my guy to go to...Instead of Dashing down two levels and running into Muton Elites like an idiot.
    There's one ship, the abductor I believe, that is horrendous to maneuver around. Best advice is to hold the cursor steady and count 2 seconds out loud before confirming the movement, especially in the main chamber where it's easy to send your guys accidentally vaulting off the side into exposed low ground.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

  22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    The response to this is that there are ways to stack the RNG in your favor. Grenades do not miss. Rookies should use grenades and you should not be afraid to blow up aliens early on. When your team has plasma weapons and heavy armor, you can get as many weapon fragments as you need. In the opening couple months, it's good to bring a heavy on every mission and have a rocket ready. If you make the hit percentages, then hurray your guys killed the aliens. If you don't, you start flinging grenades and rockets with the last couple guys.

    High cover with high cover on both sides of it will (almost) never have LoS to the aliens. It's usually correct if you trigger a group to move back around corners and get them to come to you, advancing slowly and carefully. Once you have squadsight snipers, there's often no reason to end your turn with any soldiers in line of fire to aliens.
    Thanks for the tips.

    I AM getting much better at this, and right now I am that level (early on, of course, and I know it will get worse when floaters are no longer the toughest thing I face) where I usual steamroll everything but occasionally screw up very badly (my fault).

    I was already better than 50% of the let's players out there who sprint into the fog of war all the time. My problem is the opposite, I might be overly carefull instead... Which is not very helpful on Normal since the aliens won't automatically search you out before you have spotted them (unlike in Classic, I believe?). At least the "must stop the bomb" episode made me learn very quickly to advance fast.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Okay, I am tempted to try my luck at Classic because of the better enemy AI.

    I read a strategy someone posted (for CI, so it should be fine for just C as well) where he combined the three ones everyone online recommends:

    1. Start in Africa
    2. Get five satelites up before the end of month 2
    3. Research the armor upgrade first!

    with the following two tips, one that seems uneccesary:

    4. If you can, kill all enemies on the first mission with one character and get everyone else killed. Rehiring 3 guys give them 2 bonus HP for some reason!
    5. Deliberately sacrifice South America! If you cut them loose on purpose (worst bonus powers) from the start, you can quite easily manage all other countries.

    ...Thoughts?
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  24. - Top - End - #1164
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I remember back in the months before launch, everyone was like "Oh, I'm going to South America because it's so useful!" This statement is, in fact, bull. By the time you get around to the mid-late game, you can already to autopsies nearly instantly, and through the game, you will save perhaps 30 days of research. Europe, on the other hand, essentially gives you two labs for the price of one, reducing your research time on ALL projects by 10%. Now, THAT will save you time.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Okay, I am tempted to try my luck at Classic because of the better enemy AI.

    I read a strategy someone posted (for CI, so it should be fine for just C as well) where he combined the three ones everyone online recommends:

    1. Start in Africa
    2. Get five satelites up before the end of month 2
    3. Research the armor upgrade first!

    with the following two tips, one that seems uneccesary:

    4. If you can, kill all enemies on the first mission with one character and get everyone else killed. Rehiring 3 guys give them 2 bonus HP for some reason!
    5. Deliberately sacrifice South America! If you cut them loose on purpose (worst bonus powers) from the start, you can quite easily manage all other countries.

    ...Thoughts?
    I don't see any reason to kill off the starter guys. You can only get one promotion per mission, so it would waste kills, and you can still hire more people for the extra hp anyway, no reason to intentionally kill people off.

    And you can feel free to let South America go, but 5 satellites by the end of month 2 usually means you don't need to let any countries go. I've done it a couple times and, as long as you don't fail any missions, you should have 3 satellites and 3 or fewer panicking countries. The terror and council missions bail you out near the end, so make sure not to launch the satellites until the day before the month ends.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-31 at 12:43 PM.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

  26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    I remember back in the months before launch, everyone was like "Oh, I'm going to South America because it's so useful!" This statement is, in fact, bull. By the time you get around to the mid-late game, you can already to autopsies nearly instantly, and through the game, you will save perhaps 30 days of research. Europe, on the other hand, essentially gives you two labs for the price of one, reducing your research time on ALL projects by 10%. Now, THAT will save you time.
    I tend to agree. South America's bonus is nice if you get it in the early game, but by the time you start seeing Berserkers and Heavy Floaters, autopsies and interrogations don't take much time anymore and you've already done half of them anyway.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Hiro Protagonest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    I remember back in the months before launch, everyone was like "Oh, I'm going to South America because it's so useful!" This statement is, in fact, bull. By the time you get around to the mid-late game, you can already to autopsies nearly instantly, and through the game, you will save perhaps 30 days of research. Europe, on the other hand, essentially gives you two labs for the price of one, reducing your research time on ALL projects by 10%. Now, THAT will save you time.
    Never put your base in South America.

    However, South America requires only two satellites to get its bonus. Europe requires four. And while in the long run, Europe will provide more than double the overall benefits, building two satellites and putting them over South America to get that bonus within the first month is really good.

    How many aliens are there, and how many can be captured? Lessee... Sectoid, Sectoid Commander, Muton, Muton Elite, Muton Berserker, Thin Man, Floater, Heavy Floater, Cyberdisc, Drone, Chryssalid, Sectopod, Ethereal. That's thirteen (I don't know if Drone has an autopsy, though). I'm not sure if Ethereals can be stunned, but Chryssalids and the three robotic enemies can't, so that's eight or nine interrogations.

    That's twenty to twenty two things that can be completed instantly from the start. Sure, they're not long in the late game, but that's still about forty days saved.

  28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Never put your base in South America.
    You'll have to at least once if you want the achievement for beating the game from every continent.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  29. - Top - End - #1169
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Possibly. But I've no idea of how to go about it. can I take it to the shop where I bought it and switch it, no questions asked? Is there such thing as warranty for ps3 games?

    GW
    Generally yes. Just bring your receipt say the disc doesn't load properly. They'll replace the game for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

  30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    You'll have to at least once if you want the achievement for beating the game from every continent.
    I am too old to care for achievements... (seriously). For two thirds of my gaming life, they did not exist. Will never care.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •