Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GloatingSwine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Why are nerds still clinging to XP? It's no better performance wise (mostly worse) and significantly worse at everything else ever.

    It won't be long before driver support for it dies completely I reckon.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ft Myer, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Personally I still like XP, but I realise that its time has come and gone.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Why are nerds still clinging to XP? It's no better performance wise (mostly worse) and significantly worse at everything else ever.

    It won't be long before driver support for it dies completely I reckon.
    Did you miss the point about it being, y'know, expensive to upgrade? At the moment, the only reason to upgrade would be XCOM, and one game is not worth and additional 100 (Win 7 + extra RAM, 75 quid for 7 alone) on top of the cost, because, given the erratic length of time I tend to play my games (especially at the minute, I can't even settle week to week) XCOM is not going to give me, by itself, three-to-four games' worth of entertainment. And I'm not prepared to dip into my emergancy funds, for the obvious reason that if there is a catastrophic failure, I'd then be sans computer. Even if I wanted to upgrade, I couldn't afford it until after Christmas anyway... Some of us ain't made of disposable income, y'know...

    If there were a lot more games on the horizon, I might be able to justify the time and money, but at the moment, there's just virtually nothing coming out.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Why are nerds still clinging to XP? It's no better performance wise (mostly worse) and significantly worse at everything else ever.

    It won't be long before driver support for it dies completely I reckon.
    I still use windows 95 aesthetics on my computer running windows 7.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ft Myer, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Did you miss the point about it being, y'know, expensive to upgrade? At the moment, the only reason to upgrade would be XCOM, and one game is not worth and additional 100 (Win 7 + extra RAM, 75 quid for 7 alone) on top of the cost, because, given the erratic length of time I tend to play my games (especially at the minute, I can't even settle week to week) XCOM is not going to give me, by itself, three-to-four games' worth of entertainment. And I'm not prepared to dip into my emergancy funds, for the obvious reason that if there is a catastrophic failure, I'd then be sans computer. Even if I wanted to upgrade, I couldn't afford it until after Christmas anyway... Some of us ain't made of disposable income, y'know...

    If there were a lot more games on the horizon, I might be able to justify the time and money, but at the moment, there's just virtually nothing coming out.
    They may not be on the horizion, but I'm willing to bet there's more just over it.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    They may not be on the horizion, but I'm willing to bet there's more just over it.
    Not at the moment - I've looked around places like wiki recently, and there is virtually nothing that I can find coming out in the next couple of years that I can locate. I've been trying to find something that looks interesting... and XCOM was about the only thing I found. (UFO 2: Extraterrestrials looks like a dubious XCOM clone, if the rating of the first one is anything to go by; Nexus 2 has gone onto a kickstarter, so frag know how or even if that'll ever get out; Heart of the Swarm will come at some point (which is about the only the major release I know of); Fallen Enchantress might be okay, but it'll be a while before it's out of beta; EA have pretty much burned their bridges with "Generals 2" and probably Dragon Age 3...) There might be some indy stuff, I guess, that doesn't make it into as obvious view, but at the moment the future looks pretty damn bleak.

    So, yeah. If you know of any RTS/strats/party-based RPGs in the pipeline, I'd love to hear about 'em.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Krade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    The very nature of PC gaming requires you to keep up with the technology. If you want to do it, you're gonna need to upgrade eventually. If you're not willing to do that, just get a console. Buy it once and it's garunteed to run every game that comes out until the next generation comes out (which is happening increasingly slowly).

    That's why I play console. No need to worry about if I can play the next biggest game I'm looking forward to. Just put the disc in and it works.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

    Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

    I am B.
    Are you B?

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    That's why I play console. No need to worry about if I can play the next biggest game I'm looking forward to. Just put the disc in and it works.
    Same for me, except in reverse (a statement which actually makes sense in this case, oddly enough). Needing to worry about system specs and upgrading is one reason why I barely play any PC games. Even when we get something I'm actually interested in and aware of in spite of not paying much attention to PC releases, like Civ 5 or the new Total War titles, I tend to decide that it's not worth the money and effort I'd spend upgrading my PC for them. Last time I did so was for Starcraft 2, and not until a year after it released.

    (Plus most of the games I want to play are only available on consoles anyway, since Japanese companies almost never do PC versions of anything, so I couldn't play most of my games on a PC even if I wanted to.)

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Expat in Singapore
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    While the money is a big factor, the bigger reasons are as Aotrs stated, the time involved in upgrading the damn thing, the extra hardware you have to go out and buy (and then install), and then all the possible failures that can occur with all of your programs during the transition, and all the adjustments to your programs that you have to make even in the event there is no failure.

    And there will be failure, and everything will take longer than your estimate. If my computer engineer roommate had taught me one thing about computers, it's that.

    "Companies making their games XP-compatible is a treat"? Ok, that means those companies that treat me, get my money. But XP-users aren't important enough for Firaxis on a cost/benefit scale, right? I mean, we're only 13%(?) of the Steam userbase. I guess that's insignificant.
    Last edited by MLai; 2012-09-09 at 09:56 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ft Myer, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Well, you were bound to have the Y U NO LIEK XP rage eventually, it's just too bad it had to be XCOM.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    This is a recreation of something seen at one of the PAX panels:

    (Non-spoiler. The box is just for image size.)

    Spoiler
    Show


    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback and ebook! (Published by Booktrope)
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ft Myer, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I couldn't tell what the bottom part of that image was in the video.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I freeze-framed it on full-screen.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback and ebook! (Published by Booktrope)
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Expat in Singapore
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    On the note of Chrysses... I wish the Firaxis Chrysses looked the same as the old X-com ones, except with today's polygons and textures. The new ones don't look as scary to me for whatever reason.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Krade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    On the note of Chrysses... I wish the Firaxis Chrysses looked the same as the old X-com ones, except with today's polygons and textures. The new ones don't look as scary to me for whatever reason.
    It would be difficult to recapture the terror of seeing what a single cryssalid can do to your entire squad for the first time. The thing is, with all the new shiny graphics, nothing is left to the imagination. In the original, you just saw one crumby sprite walk up to another crumby sprite and make some bite noises, but that crumby sprite and unnatural bite sound were terrifying.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

    Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

    I am B.
    Are you B?

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    The very nature of PC gaming requires you to keep up with the technology. If you want to do it, you're gonna need to upgrade eventually. If you're not willing to do that, just get a console. Buy it once and it's garunteed to run every game that comes out until the next generation comes out (which is happening increasingly slowly).

    That's why I play console. No need to worry about if I can play the next biggest game I'm looking forward to. Just put the disc in and it works.
    Eventually. Yes.

    Updating the OS and changing the hard-drive are my category one disasters; I would rather replace any other piece of hardware than deal with that, because at least the latter are minimal disruption in time, if sometimes about as much in money. We have, not counting games, knocking one for about forty man-year's worth of data to back-up - because the PCs runs ALL my hobbies, not just computer gaming - plus fracking about with email (because we use Outlook Express), not too mention finding and reinstalling all the numerous little programs like Blender and ZoneAlarm and CutePDF and netfabb that we use on a daily basis - all the little things like that, together, add up to a staggering amount of time to do.

    So it is simply not something I am prepared to even look at doing for the sake of one game, because instead of spending about a week's worth of spare time just re-installing, I could be playing something else instead. XCOM'll keep. C&C 1 did for a year or two, before we had a computer powerful enough to run that. Voting with yer pocket and all that; they didn't make it XP compatible, so they don't get my money for a year or two (by which time, it'll probably have dropped in price anyway.) *shrug* A game franchise I've only really paid attention to in the last two or three weeks somewhat fails to have that much traction with me, I'm afriad.

    If at any point I could have afforded a console of the current generation, I would liked to have bought one, if only for some of the RPGs. They are only now coming down to the around 200 quid mark where I could just about afford one (the 360's early red-ring-of-death problems also discouraged me.)

    (I bought my current PC, by the by, with money left to me when my Grandad died, which is why I have been able to mostly keep up, since replacing it by bits it relatively easy, as I only ever go for the up to 50-100 parts in one go. Come to that, I have had to replace my speakers this year already (and that was about 80, since I tried cheap ones and they were so crap that I couldn't even turn 'em up to half volume without crackling; which is why I bought 'em from Amazon, so I could just send 'em back...)

    Yes, I'm peeved that XCOM is not XP compatible, but it's more a world-weary "flipping typical for the way everything (gaming and otherwise) is going at the moment" annoyance, than, say, my reaction to ME3 (I'm not nearly as annoyed as MLai, at any rate.) I'm more put-out that virtually no-one seems to be making any new games that I want to play, period (especially with EA's recent little "all games must have multiplayer, and that's our most important criteion over everything else"); which goes for consoles as well as PC. (Put it this way, over the last couple of years, I've spent more time playing older games than newer ones, including running through BG2/Torment and the entire C&C series, less RA3 again, and I'm presently concurrently playing Earth 2150/X-Com Enemy Unkown/Transport Tycoon (OpenTTD)...)

    Just have to settle fo X-Com:EU and eventually TftD for a while, is all. (For 3, the former has already paid for itself in terms of pennies-to-time, even if I never picked it up ever again!)



    Right, well, I've said my piece, probably, as usual, at more length than I needed to, so I'll be quiet now and let you get back to your thread.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-10 at 06:57 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Drascin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Asura Battleship
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    While the money is a big factor, the bigger reasons are as Aotrs stated, the time involved in upgrading the damn thing, the extra hardware you have to go out and buy (and then install), and then all the possible failures that can occur with all of your programs during the transition, and all the adjustments to your programs that you have to make even in the event there is no failure.
    Dude, if your computer can run this XCOM at all, it can run Windows 7. The minimum requirements for XCOM are like twice those of 7. You don't have to buy any extra hardware.

    Complaining about the price of the OS itself is fine (and even then, well...) - but no, there is no added price, because if you would buy this game if it ran in XP that means your computer is more than powerful enough to run circles around Windows 7!

    As for being scared of updating... well, I suppose. If you ever get enough money to indeed get a new drive though, Aotrs, you can always just get a new drive, put 7 on that, and then you get to choose whether you want to boot XP or 7 on startup and don't need to touch any of your old data at all. I've seen people who were too scared of updating do that.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-09-10 at 07:46 AM.
    There is no God but Haruhi, and Kyon is Her prophet.

    Remi avatar by Oregano. Thanks!

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    If you ever get enough money to indeed get a new drive though, Aotrs, you can always just get a new drive, put 7 on that, and then you get to choose whether you want to boot XP or 7 on startup and don't need to touch any of your old data at all.
    No space in the case, I don't think, or that might have been an option - if that itself wasn't even more expensive. Like I say, there is just currently no good reason for me to spend the time and money to upgrade, as XCOM is, by itself, not worth it, no matter how good a game it turns out to be. And currently, there are no other games I'm aware of being made to add into the equation for the future that I'm bothered about. Everything I currently have works fine, so if it ain't broke...

    When the hard-drive starts to go, then I'll do it. But probably not before.

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Krade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    No space in the case, I don't think, or that might have been an option - if that itself wasn't even more expensive. Like I say, there is just currently no good reason for me to spend the time and money to upgrade, as XCOM is, by itself, not worth it, no matter how good a game it turns out to be. And currently, there are no other games I'm aware of being made to add into the equation for the future that I'm bothered about. Everything I currently have works fine, so if it ain't broke...

    When the hard-drive starts to go, then I'll do it. But probably not before.
    One good thing about modern amenities is that it will definitely be available for you to purchase whenever you become capable of running it.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

    Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

    I am B.
    Are you B?

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    JMobius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Given that they aren't using DX10+, I'm at least a little bit skeptical that the Vista requirement is actually the case. I'm sure it will get tested against XP in short order.
    Avatar courtesy of Szilard

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by JMobius View Post
    Given that they aren't using DX10+, I'm at least a little bit skeptical that the Vista requirement is actually the case. I'm sure it will get tested against XP in short order.
    That had occurred to me too; I will keep half an eye on what people say (not least because Amazon is still listing it as XP, which means it'll be getting tested and then complained about/refunded if it doesn't. They really need to watch their tags...)

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Delaware

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    It's possible that it will run on XP, but they just aren't officially supporting it. Supporting an extra OS would add extra development time to work out XP specific bugs and nuances. Then again they could be using a redistributable library that makes Vista/Win7 specific API calls. In which case the game wouldn't run under XP at all.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Expat in Singapore
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    you can always just get a new drive, put 7 on that, and then you get to choose whether you want to boot XP or 7 on startup and don't need to touch any of your old data at all. I've seen people who were too scared of updating do that.
    Heyyyy.... that's a good idea....
    If it comes to that, that's what I'll do...

    In the original, you just saw one crumby sprite walk up to another crumby sprite and make some bite noises, but that crumby sprite and unnatural bite sound were terrifying.
    Actually, it was more like...

    My Guile-dude walks down a long dimly-lit hallway, then turns a corner, and then suddenly he sees this vague blue thing that looks like a man, but not, standing right next to him. For only a split second. Because at that same instant there's this sudden bloodcurdling scream from this normally quiet game that makes me jump in my seat, and then that entire area goes dark and I'm left scrambling and muttering "WTF-- WTF was that where's my guy? I didn't see it WTF was that?!"

    Repeat until half the squad is dead. Plus zombies.
    Last edited by MLai; 2012-09-11 at 11:30 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GloatingSwine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    My Guile-dude walks down a long dimly-lit hallway, then turns a corner, and then suddenly he sees this vague blue thing that looks like a man, but not, standing right next to him. For only a split second. Because at that same instant there's this sudden bloodcurdling scream from this normally quiet game that makes me jump in my seat, and then that entire area goes dark and I'm left scrambling and muttering "WTF-- WTF was that where's my guy? I didn't see it WTF was that?!"

    Chryssalids were only dangerous in their own turn. UFO didn't allow for reaction attacks with melee.

    Usually what happened was that you walked round the corner and wound up face to face with a Chryssalid without enough TUs left to fire, meaning all your guy could do was glare angrily at it whilst you desperately figured out a way to get someone into position to save his ass.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Grif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Chryssalids were only dangerous in their own turn. UFO didn't allow for reaction attacks with melee.

    Usually what happened was that you walked round the corner and wound up face to face with a Chryssalid without enough TUs left to fire, meaning all your guy could do was glare angrily at it whilst you desperately figured out a way to get someone into position to save his ass.
    Or you fiddle around hoping that you have enough TUs to drop a grenade behind him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    We don't have enough pony to fill a subforum. We have enough friendship to fill a ponythread.
    Awesome Sliverpine ponytar by Dirtytabs.

    Placeholder for former avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent Ponytar thanks to Dirtytabs.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Muz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    In my current replay (gotta do something before October 9th...or at least September 18th and BG:EE) I shot down an alien craft. Skyranger lands. Door opens. Only 3 troopers have armor of any kind because we haven't had time to make more. First thing out, in the middle of the woods, we spot a chryssalid.

    ...Skyranger door closes. We take off. Screw that.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback and ebook! (Published by Booktrope)
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GloatingSwine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Armour other than the Flying Suit is pointless against Chryssalids anyway, they have such high attack and TUs that they'll tear through power armour like it's not there.

    Massive ordnance is your only hope.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ft Myer, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Actually, they attack until they run out of TUs or the trooper dies, and the reanimation takes place after one of those criteria is met. While a Cryssie may only be able to infect 1 power armor trooper in a turn, it could wipe out half a squad of redtanshirts in a turn.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Krade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Flying suits break the game, anyway. I remember once I had all my guys floating one level up really close to each other and a grenade lands on the ground below them. At first I was like, but when it exploded with no damage to my soldiers, I was like. Floating also makes you immune to melee attacks. So... yeah. Flying Suits are awesome.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

    Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

    I am B.
    Are you B?

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    In my current replay (gotta do something before October 9th...or at least September 18th and BG:EE) I shot down an alien craft. Skyranger lands. Door opens. Only 3 troopers have armor of any kind because we haven't had time to make more. First thing out, in the middle of the woods, we spot a chryssalid.
    I never had all that much trouble with Chryssalids.. but then, I did most of my scouting with tanks, high explosives, and laser beams, none of which are subject to being turned, so I generally spotted them from far enough away to put them down before they got close enough to be a problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •