Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jade Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Impnemo View Post
    No, he is not the second one into that room. NO ONE goes into that room with 2-3 alive and grinning at you. Your assault, Lt Sir "Brave" Robin, pokes his head into the room and runs away using run and gun to get back to advantageous cover, where he either isn't seen and pops over watch or has los on no more than 1 at a time and takes his shot. If he cant fall back far enough to get good cover you messed up, but besides that, your scout, who should be able to move somewhere safe, throws smoke and licks wounds in the aftermath.
    I'm guessing you prefer for your Assaults to use rifles. And aren't the kind of guy who uses the Arc Thrower just because it's cheaper than paying for plasma weapons.

  2. - Top - End - #1232
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I don't know how you're all going more than one turn without encountering any aliens. If you're assaulting a door inside a UFO, you get your whole squad in position first, nobody is an advance scout that's ahead of the entire group.

    Any other time, the snipers are way back and the rest of the squad shouldn't even have time to get that far.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

  3. - Top - End - #1233
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I'm guessing you prefer for your Assaults to use rifles. And aren't the kind of guy who uses the Arc Thrower just because it's cheaper than paying for plasma weapons.
    Heh, wrong on both. I prefer using shotguns, then light plasma rifles, then alloy cannons as they are available. In short, whatever hits hardest or most reliably. I stun only the last one up in a group, if he is or can be wounded, if moving to him won't reveal terrain, and only if I can have him killed or suppressed should the 90% sun fail (two or three times in a row, every time damnit!). But I make every effort to stun early and often, dont make what you can steal.


    Tactics which seem sensible and reasonable watching normal gameplay go out the door when you play classic or impossible. Caution is victory.
    Last edited by Impnemo; 2012-11-01 at 07:35 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jade Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Impnemo View Post
    Tactics which seem sensible and reasonable watching normal gameplay go out the door when you play classic or impossible. Caution is victory.
    By the time I get in with a Support for a capture, half the team still has their actions left and can easily move in and soften up or destroy any new spawns. Because what Anarion said is right, you always have your entire team prepped and ready before opening a door.

  5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Sometimes when I kill the last guy on the map, my game freezes. It's happened to me three times now. Really annoying when you can't save.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I have come to the conclusion that I probably suck at this, since I do not get any more sqaddies killed on Classic than on Normal. Which is to be read as "too many already on Normal". However Classic is definitely more fun, since the enemy AI is much better.

    I am reloading one or two times on hard and very hard maps because I am trying to learn. I have not played a turn-based game such like this since Laser Squad on my Amiga 500 100.000 years ago.
    That said, I only keep one save per battle, the starting one. Because I want this to be a learning experience. I also try to only reload if I make an obvious mistake, not if I have bad luck (if I am in the right position, but my heavy misses a 95% shot then gets killed... I do not reload. If I dash to the wrong place and do an obvious mistake, I reload, because I want to learn the game).

    As for the discussion above... I have very limited experience (I am just past my first council briefing, just built my second satellite uplink on my first ever Classic game)...

    Personally I find Assault to be the opposite of Snipers (makes sense, huh): Assault is the best class on tight maps and indoors. Sniper is the best class outdoors on open maps. That said, the maps I have the absolutely hardest time with are maps where you have to storm a building. It makes sense realistically, I guess. The enemy have fortified positions with cover everywhere.
    I find that I tend to get the best result by taking cover behind whatever is closest to the landing craft, then blow up one wall in the building with a rocket or grenade. Then let them come to me and advance sloowly.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Man, I do miss intentionally shooting walls. The original game was really fun in that aspect: I once spent 5 minutes tearing down the walls of a farm house, one at the time, to get at a sectoid holed up inside.

    I didn't felt like going inside and risking my men, so I peeled the farm like an onion.

  8. - Top - End - #1238
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Man, I do miss intentionally shooting walls. The original game was really fun in that aspect: I once spent 5 minutes tearing down the walls of a farm house, one at the time, to get at a sectoid holed up inside.

    I didn't felt like going inside and risking my men, so I peeled the farm like an onion.
    how do you intentionally shoot a wall? I thought you could only fire if there was a target. Cept for explosives ofc

  9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    how do you intentionally shoot a wall? I thought you could only fire if there was a target. Cept for explosives ofc
    in the original game, you mean? or this one?

  10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cespenar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Man, I do miss intentionally shooting walls. The original game was really fun in that aspect: I once spent 5 minutes tearing down the walls of a farm house, one at the time, to get at a sectoid holed up inside.

    I didn't felt like going inside and risking my men, so I peeled the farm like an onion.
    Heh. I remember being pretty thrilled when I discovered a way to take down an alien colony in less than 10 minutes. If I recall correctly, it involved storming through the second floor, blasting a balustrade/low wall-thingy with a plasma shot, and dropping a grenade down below. You destroy the core, and voila.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1


  11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Heh. I remember being pretty thrilled when I discovered a way to take down an alien colony in less than 10 minutes. If I recall correctly, it involved storming through the second floor, blasting a balustrade/low wall-thingy with a plasma shot, and dropping a grenade down below. You destroy the core, and voila.
    is that X-Com Apocalypse you are talking about?

  12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cespenar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    is that X-Com Apocalypse you are talking about?
    Terror from the Deep.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1


  13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Archonic Energy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Refugee of Aiur
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    apoc was just funny.

    step 1: plant explosives at the base of the building.
    step 2: detonate.
    step 3: fly home.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

    i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

  14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    apoc was just funny.

    step 1: plant explosives at the base of the building.
    step 2: detonate.
    step 3: fly home.
    Wasn't there political repercussion if you destroyed a building...?

  15. - Top - End - #1245
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    CreganTur's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I was unable to shoot down the first Battleship I encountered and I've been putting off the end game of my current run because I really, really want to take one down.

    Is there any way to make one appear or is it just luck?


    This Writer's Journey

    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

    The OoTS Miniature Worklog

    Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

  16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gamerlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    I was unable to shoot down the first Battleship I encountered and I've been putting off the end game of my current run because I really, really want to take one down.

    Is there any way to make one appear or is it just luck?
    I've heard if you let a UFO that was searching for your satellites get away, a Battleship will later appear to try and destroy the satellite. Emphasis "try". Never had this happen though, so cannot personally confirm it.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-11-02 at 10:25 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

    Once known as "Gamerkid".

  17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SlyGuyMcFly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The cyberpunk present
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    I've heard if you let a UFO that was searching for your satellites get away, a Battleship will later appear to try and destroy the satellite. Emphasis "try". Never had this happen though, so cannot personally confirm it.
    It worked for me. Let the UFO float about, a while later a Battleship turns up, looking for the satellite. Not 100%, but fairly reliable.
    Truth resists simplicity.

  18. - Top - End - #1248
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Man, I do miss intentionally shooting walls. The original game was really fun in that aspect: I once spent 5 minutes tearing down the walls of a farm house, one at the time, to get at a sectoid holed up inside.

    I didn't felt like going inside and risking my men, so I peeled the farm like an onion.
    Yeah once you go laser weapons doors were for suckers. I always had my demigods blasting down walls when storming buildings. Cut down on blind spots for aliens to hide and I wouldn't have a soldier with who knows how many TUs facing off against an unknown amount of enemies at close range. Hell one of my favorite things was blasting a hole in a multi story UFO and storming it from top and bottom.

  19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Archonic Energy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Refugee of Aiur
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Wasn't there political repercussion if you destroyed a building...?
    yes.

    intresting note: you can do a better job of defunding a company in the tactical view than in the cityscape.

    those poor cult of syrus never stood a chance.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

    i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

  20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Man, I do miss intentionally shooting walls. The original game was really fun in that aspect: I once spent 5 minutes tearing down the walls of a farm house, one at the time, to get at a sectoid holed up inside.

    I didn't felt like going inside and risking my men, so I peeled the farm like an onion.
    If I could make a change to the new X-com, it would be to allow shooting even if there's not a target. There have been a lot of times I wanted to simply blow out a UFO wall with plasma weaponry and it sucks that you can't do it unless you have spare rockets and grenades.

    Though blaster bombs in the original were just too good. I greatly enjoyed capturing an alien commander by blowing a hole in a battleship roof and having my troops with flight armor drop in on the commander. I imagine having that animated would have looked like them all flying in and airlifting the unsuspecting commander straight out of the ship.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    It worked for me. Let the UFO float about, a while later a Battleship turns up, looking for the satellite. Not 100%, but fairly reliable.
    I've never had this work, and I have no idea why. I've let at least 4-5 UFOs go and never gotten a satellite shot down.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

  21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diego Havoc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Eeeyup.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Just call me Diego. Mr. Havoc was my father.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

  22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jade Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    If I could make a change to the new X-com, it would be to allow shooting even if there's not a target. There have been a lot of times I wanted to simply blow out a UFO wall with plasma weaponry and it sucks that you can't do it unless you have spare rockets and grenades.
    Hopefully, by the time I get the game, there will be a mod for that, so that scouting with heavy firepower is a lot less costly.

    Anyway, I think good DLC would be a lot of new mission maps. Small towns in rugged wilderness, farming communities in prairie areas, Asian architecture for the appropriate areas, towns built on wetlands, train stations and historical castles in Europe.

  23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    So, I stumbled across a series of Impossible Ironman videos by a game named Beaglerush. They're highly educational and amusing.

    He's done 6 missions so far. Here's the first one. Also, don't play the drinking game if you like your liver. Oakley is rather inaccurate.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ&feature=plcp
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

  24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Starscream's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elyria, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Hey, guys, just poking my head in this thread to ask you a question.

    I was a big fan of the original XCOM back in the day, but held off on buying this one because at the moment I have more games to play than time to play them.

    I finally decided to cave after Yahtzee gave it a good review. I mostly watch him for the comedy, but he's so negative that I rarely take his opinions to heart; he's dissed too many perfectly fun games. But because he's so hard to please, I know that when he does like something, I should take notice (Portal, Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed 2).

    So now I want XCOM. Only question is which system I should buy it for. I have both a PS3 and a rather powerful laptop. Of course, my first instinct would be to get the PC version, since that's what I played the original XCOM on, but even though my laptop can handle the game with flying colors, it has a nasty tendency to get rather hot when playing modern games; I bought an external fan, which helps a lot, but the problem is still noticeable.

    PS3 wouldn't have that problem, but I don't know if it would be the same. The review scores are comparable (88.48% vs 89.31% on GameRankings, 90 vs 89 on Metacritic). So I figured I'd ask you guys; do you know of any differences in the PC and PS3 versions that make one a better buy than the other?
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

  25. - Top - End - #1255
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    The only difference is the UI, but the game is identical otherwise.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I finally decided to cave after Yahtzee gave it a good review. I mostly watch him for the comedy, but he's so negative that I rarely take his opinions to heart; he's dissed too many perfectly fun games. But because he's so hard to please, I know that when he does like something, I should take notice (Portal, Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed 2).
    Zero Punctuation's video on XCOM was hilarious

  27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Luzahn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United States
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    I'd recommend pc, if only for the flexibility mods give. Plus, I'd imagine controlling would be more difficult on the PS3, but I'd wait on hearing from someone who's played that version. PC does have some weird issues with movement and heights.

  28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Krade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Plus, I'd imagine controlling would be more difficult on the PS3, but I'd wait on hearing from someone who's played that version.
    I played the demo on PC and got it for Xbox. The controls aren't particularly different. Instead of a mouse you get an analogue stick. that's about it. Selecting actions is hotkeyed to the numbers on PC, though. I think that would be the biggest 'pro' to the PC version.
    PC does have some weird issues with movement and heights.
    If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then that issue is not unique to the PC.
    Last edited by Krade; 2012-11-03 at 11:40 AM.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

    Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

    I am B.
    Are you B?

  29. - Top - End - #1259
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    So, I stumbled across a series of Impossible Ironman videos by a game named Beaglerush. They're highly educational and amusing.

    He's done 6 missions so far. Here's the first one. Also, don't play the drinking game if you like your liver. Oakley is rather inaccurate.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ&feature=plcp
    Yannow, I expected this game to be something I'd really enjoy playing. But no, I would rather watch more of his videos. I guess I think positioning the guys good over several turns is pretty boring.

  30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Hey, guys, just poking my head in this thread to ask you a question.

    I was a big fan of the original XCOM back in the day, but held off on buying this one because at the moment I have more games to play than time to play them.

    I finally decided to cave after Yahtzee gave it a good review. I mostly watch him for the comedy, but he's so negative that I rarely take his opinions to heart; he's dissed too many perfectly fun games. But because he's so hard to please, I know that when he does like something, I should take notice (Portal, Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed 2).

    So now I want XCOM. Only question is which system I should buy it for. I have both a PS3 and a rather powerful laptop. Of course, my first instinct would be to get the PC version, since that's what I played the original XCOM on, but even though my laptop can handle the game with flying colors, it has a nasty tendency to get rather hot when playing modern games; I bought an external fan, which helps a lot, but the problem is still noticeable.

    PS3 wouldn't have that problem, but I don't know if it would be the same. The review scores are comparable (88.48% vs 89.31% on GameRankings, 90 vs 89 on Metacritic). So I figured I'd ask you guys; do you know of any differences in the PC and PS3 versions that make one a better buy than the other?
    I'd suggest PC for the modding community. There have been a bunch of mods out there, including additional difficulty settings, a way to change the frequency of UFOs, one that lets you mod it so a UFO appears before an abduction that you can shoot down to prevent the abduction, and all sorts of less ambitious mods.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •