New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Africa is indeed the best. My go-to strategy is to start Asia, put my first satellite over the US or Russia (depending on who needs the panic reduction more) and then rush Africa the following month. I ignore South America entirely, working on getting North America covered while keeping panic low in nations with 100+ funding.
    Really? I'd put my first two satellites over South America to get their bonus while it is still relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

I too tend to sacrifice South America. If you don't care about letting the first abductor go (there's basically no way interceptors with avalanche missiles or phoenix cannon can get it without using the floater dodge uplink) there's no real reason for it. After a month or so the autopsies and interrogations only take a day each anyway.

On impossible though I launch my satellites to prevent as much panic as possible, regardless of continent bonuses. I think there you just want to make it through the first two months losing as few countries as possible and the rest doesn't matter.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Really? I'd put my first two satellites over South America to get their bonus while it is still relevant.
    Even at it's most relevant, South America saves you... about six week's worth of research, over the duration of the game. Not terribly potent, considering you're spending two of the five all-important early game satellites on what is a pretty weak bonus early on and more importantly, a piddly 150 x-bucks worth of funding. And it's really the funding why I don't think it's worth it. The Africa rush gives more cash, and cash is the most serious limiter early on.

Hell, using part of the blood diamond money to buy an extra lab or two probably works out to more saved research time, overall.
    Truth resists simplicity.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Even at it's most relevant, South America saves you... about six week's worth of research, over the duration of the game. Not terribly potent, considering you're spending two of the five all-important early game satellites on what is a pretty weak bonus early on and more importantly, a piddly 150 x-bucks worth of funding. And it's really the funding why I don't think it's worth it. The Africa rush gives more cash, and cash is the most serious limiter early on.

Hell, using part of the blood diamond money to buy an extra lab or two probably works out to more saved research time, overall.
    Which is why you BASE in Africa and not have to worry about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I couldn't get a base in africa. The game only let me pick US or Europe. Now I have a lot of research to do and very limited amounts of cash to spend on it.

Also, Did the "Alien base invasion" mission today. turns out I was not as prepared as I thought I was. Those Chryssalids are murder machines. Took out 2 soldiers. I think the game is giving them extra movements. Also, the zombies are horrible. They get hit harder than the 'lids for some reason.

New Terror of the Day: Cyberdisks. I'm not sure what these guys do, and I'm not sure I want to find out: I blast them with the largest missile / plasma gun I have whenever they are on screen.

Most new annoying creature: Sectoid Commaders. Those guy are impossible to catch. hit with their mind blast through walls, and are pretty resilient. Also they are fond of hiding inside UFOs, where my uber-snipers can get them.
    I hate those guys.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Sectoid Commanders, like the ones from the old game, are your first proper 'boss' units anyway, replacing the incredibly weak Outsiders.

Just be glad they can't do the whole 'mind control from offscreen' thing they used to be able to do in the original.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    I couldn't get a base in africa. The game only let me pick US or Europe. Now I have a lot of research to do and very limited amounts of cash to spend on it.
    If you turn off the tutorial, you can start the base wherever you want. Your first mission is also much less doomed, and you get more flexibility in starting research options.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

It's the tutorial. If you start a new game with the tutorial turned off (settings on the main menu) you can choose any starting location.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

The tutorial doesn't actually do anything except kill three of your soldiers and severely limit your choices in the early game. Seriously, it just tells you how move actions work and that being in cover is better.
    Also, Did the "Alien base invasion" mission today. turns out I was not as prepared as I thought I was. Those Chryssalids are murder machines. Took out 2 soldiers. I think the game is giving them extra movements. Also, the zombies are horrible. They get hit harder than the 'lids for some reason.
    If you don't have Carapace Armor for your entire squad and at least laser rifles, you're not ready. If your entire squad is outfitted with laser weapons and Carapace/Skeleton, then you need to play smarter, not go for more toys.

And this is why you don't dash all the way in one action. Even if the only cover is a dash action away, do a regular move first to see if you trigger enemies.
    New Terror of the Day: Cyberdisks. I'm not sure what these guys do, and I'm not sure I want to find out: I blast them with the largest missile / plasma gun I have whenever they are on screen.
    They're like tougher Mutons. Who are immune to psionics. And explode on death (so don't move your Assaults adjacent to them).
    Most new annoying creature: Sectoid Commaders. Those guy are impossible to catch. hit with their mind blast through walls, and are pretty resilient. Also they are fond of hiding inside UFOs, where my uber-snipers can get them.
    I hate those guys.
    Come on. Sectoid Commanders are easy if you follow basic protocol. Everyone lines up at the door. Have all your actions? Good. Open door. Inside is two Commanders in a small room. They run for cover. Everyone moves in and starts shooting at them from close range. Want to capture one, but need to weaken him and your rifles do too much damage? Someone pistol the guy, and please, please remember to have the guy with the Arc Thrower go last/second to last and not shoot the guy. Arm two guys with them if you want a capture.

---

What difficulty are you playing on? Sounds like you need to play on Normal.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

I hate those guys.
    Chrysalids don't get any extra move, they just move really far. They have two actions a turn, same as anything else. If they get in melee range with their first action, they will melee and kill an unprepared soldier with their second. You need to alter your gameplay against them. Melee attacks never miss so cover is irrelevant. You keep your distance and fall back while firing if possible.

Cyberdiscs are just big heavies that explode when they die (annoying if you like running into melee range for that 100% hit chance). They have a strong beam, can throw grenades a long way, and take a lot of punishment to bring down. They demand your focus but are never going to pull out any surprises on you (unlike sectopods, the sneakiest robot.).

I think you're doing something wrong with the sectoid commanders. In the alien base it can be annoying, but it usually just shoots at a soldier with its plasma pistol. When you're assaulting a UFO you should never trigger the commanders until you're ready to move all your troops in at once. Then you blitz them and annihilate them before they can act.

Edit: majorly ninjaed by Jade Dragon.

Also, I've been doing a quick classic ironman. It's so easy, now. I think this is because I got used to impossible. But seriously, classic ironman is ridiculously easy past a certain point of expertise with the game.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-17 at 06:19 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

They get easier after you kill a few and make an item which halves melee damage (as well as more armor). Also, if you have laser (or plasma) weaponry, they get much easier to kill. However, you have to think different around them. Instead of thinking about Cover, think about lines of fire and retreat.

The most amusing encounters with them are when they walk into a bunch of Overwatch and kill themselves on reaction fire.

Good move. They're the first opponent you run into who have grenades and will use them (well, I guess Floaters use 'em first). And, like everything else, Alien grenades are nastier than yours are. Oh, and they have a couple of rather obnoxious attacks, plus are particularly mobile. So yea... appropriate response, take them out quickly.

I hate those guys.
    Don't we all? What's worse is their Mind Control ability. Forcing someone to drop a grenade at their feet is not cool, man.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

Good move. They're the first opponent you run into who have grenades and will use them (well, I guess Floaters use 'em first). And, like everything else, Alien grenades are nastier than yours are. Oh, and they have a couple of rather obnoxious attacks, plus are particularly mobile. So yea... appropriate response, take them out quickly.
    Floaters don't have grenades. Mutons do and they use them on the higher difficulties, sometimes even against one target if they think their hit chance is too low.

Cyberdiscs actually dislike their grenades, they only use them if they can hit multiple targets, and if they can get a kill with a clean shot instead my experience is they go for that (which makes them more dangerous).
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Floaters don't have grenades
    Heavy Floaters do, though. The operative word, of course, being 'heavy'.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    Heavy Floaters do, though. The operative word, of course, being 'heavy'.
    Absolutely true.

Heavy floaters are a very late, enemy, however. You won't see one until you've already seen cyberdiscs and berserkers for a month or so.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, fellow Gamers: I must present to you a conundrum I have vaguely entitled "XCOM: PC or Console?"
    For, you see, I fully intend on purchasing and/or playing XCOM before the Wheel of the Year turns, and am faced with a conundrum regarding the platform of choise for playing what is no doubt a glorious masterpiece.
    I present to you now, in this handily spoiler'd space, a list of factors which spring to mind and I feel should be considered.

Spoiler
    Show

PRICE: The base price for XCOM is 50 USD on Steam, and 60 USD for my console of choice. While I fully expect these prices to transform over the course of holiday sales, I do not expect the console version to be heavily discounted. <ADV: PC>

MULTIPLAYER: Now, this is more of a tangential concern for me, but I would, personally, like to try out the multiplayer, and I have no doubt that I can more easily find good matches against playgrounders than I can out in the wilderness of Console Multiplayer (which I would need to pay another fee for, anyway.) <ADV: PC>

CONTROLS: I'm one of those weirdos who prefers a gamepad, and mouse slippage was fairly common when I played the demo. I have no idea how common cursor slippage is with the console version, but I generally hear both control layouts are "tight". <SM. ADV: CONSOLE>

THE FIANCÉE: I live with my wonderful fiancée, who, for all of her wonderfulness, is not a gamer. She often accuses me of abandoning her to play on my PC whenever I hop on to play Dungeons of Dredmor or Hotline Miami or LoL or somesuch. Additionally, TV sucks, and I can more easily entertain her (as well as me) with video games - especially more tactical/cerebral ones such as XCOM (as opposed to Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and/or Dishonoured) <BIGGEST POSSIBLE ADV: CONSOLE>

DLC/MODS: Now, to get things started off right here: MODS ARE IRRELEVANT TO ME. The only Mods I have ever used are purely cosmetic. (Tightening the graphics on Morrowind, for example). However, PCs do posses the ability for me to pay for dlcs with money, instead of buying "points" for the console which hang around all useless-like if I haven't spent them all (Which I likely won't). <SM. ADV: PC>

LET'S PLAYS: If I ever feel like documenting my progress through XCOM, the PC would be the platform consisting of the lowest amount of hoops to jump through. <SM ADV: PC>

So, fellow Playgrounders, thoughts?
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2012-11-18 at 12:39 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    CONTROLS: I'm one of those weirdos who prefers a gamepad, and mouse slippage was fairly common when I played the demo. I have no idea how common cursor slippage is with the console version, but I generally hear both control layouts are "tight". <SM. ADV: CONSOLE>
    "Slippage" is actually a non-issue with the gamepad for one simple reason: unlike with a mouse, the pointing unit and the button for confirming your movement are entirely separate. You position your cursor with the analog stick, and once you are happy with its location you can take your finger completely away from the stick and just press the button to okay it. There is no reason why you should ever fail to go exactly where you wanted unless you are rushing or not paying attention.

I've been extremely happy with the console version, although in fairness I have not played the PC version at all. (My computer is from circa 2007 or so.)
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-11-17 at 09:39 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Cyberdiscs actually dislike their grenades, they only use them if they can hit multiple targets, and if they can get a kill with a clean shot instead my experience is they go for that (which makes them more dangerous).
    However, up until you meet Cyberdiscs, a survival tactic is to stay close in mutual support range under cover. Then Cyberdiscs come along and hit half your team with a well placed grenade.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Well, fellow Gamers: I must present to you a conundrum I have vaguely entitled "XCOM: PC or Console?"
    For, you see, I fully intend on purchasing and/or playing XCOM before the Wheel of the Year turns, and am faced with a conundrum regarding the platform of choise for playing what is no doubt a glorious masterpiece.
    I present to you now, in this handily spoiler'd space, a list of factors which spring to mind and I feel should be considered.

Spoiler
    Show

PRICE: The base price for XCOM is 50 USD on Steam, and 60 USD for my console of choice. While I fully expect these prices to transform over the course of holiday sales, I do not expect the console version to be heavily discounted. <ADV: PC>

MULTIPLAYER: Now, this is more of a tangential concern for me, but I would, personally, like to try out the multiplayer, and I have no doubt that I can more easily find good matches against playgrounders than I can out in the wilderness of Console Multiplayer (which I would need to pay another fee for, anyway.) <ADV: PC>

THE FIANCÉE: I live with my wonderful fiancée, who, for all of her wonderfulness, is not a gamer. She often accuses me of abandoning her to play on my PC whenever I hop on to play Dungeons of Dredmor or Hotline Miami or LoL or somesuch. Additionally, TV sucks, and I can more easily entertain her (as well as me) with video games - especially more tactical/cerebral ones such as XCOM (as opposed to Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and/or Dishonoured) <BIGGEST POSSIBLE ADV: CONSOLE>

DLC/MODS: Now, to get things started off right here: MODS ARE IRRELEVANT TO ME. The only Mods I have ever used are purely cosmetic. (Tightening the graphics on Morrowind, for example). However, PCs do posses the ability for me to pay for mods with money, instead of buying "points" for the console which hang around all useless-like if I haven't spent them all (Which I likely won't). <SM. ADV: PC>

LET'S PLAYS: If I ever feel like documenting my progress through XCOM, the PC would be the platform consisting of the lowest amount of hoops to jump through. <SM ADV: PC>

So, fellow Playgrounders, thoughts?
    I think the fiancee advantage is probably decisive. Both versions are very similar and the single player is the experience you want unless you're dead set on doing a Let's Play. So, I'd say console.

However, up until you meet Cyberdiscs, a survival tactic is to stay close in mutual support range under cover. Then Cyberdiscs come along and hit half your team with a well placed grenade.
    Mutons almost always appear before cyberdiscs and create the same problem.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

19. - Top - End - #1429

DwarfClericGuy

Ugh, so now I'll have Commanders, Mutons and Cyberdisks in every UFO? Good to know. Time to gear up the team - so far, skipped the entire "beam weapons" tree and just got some light plasma guns for most of them. And carapace armor also. Need to buy more of those. Or maybe I should wait for the Titan/skeleton suits?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, so now I'll have Commanders, Mutons and Cyberdisks in every UFO? Good to know. Time to gear up the team - so far, skipped the entire "beam weapons" tree and just got some light plasma guns for most of them. And carapace armor also. Need to buy more of those. Or maybe I should wait for the Titan/skeleton suits?
    Carapace for everyone if you don't have skeleton already, it's cheap enough, no soldier should be going into a fight with basic armor once you have it.

You won't have cyberdiscs in every UFO by the way, only the big ones. You will have mutons at all times once they start showing up for real.

If you don't have a ton of weapon fragments (and I assume you don't) then you should get beam weapons done and then get precision beam weapons to support your snipers and assaults. I like precision lasers better than heavy lasers first because heavies rely a lot less on their gun for damage due to rockets and grenades.

If you do capture a muton with a plasma gun (a regular one, not a light plasma) research that ASAP and start getting the advanced weaponry such plasma snipers and alloy cannons.

Edit: interrogate the muton first though, they give a plasma research credit. Interrogate any sectoids and heavies you have as well for research credits on beam weapons and early armors if you haven't done that already.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-18 at 12:42 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Almost time for a new thread! Taking title suggestions now.

XCOM II: Terror From the DLC
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Almost time for a new thread! Taking title suggestions now.

XCOM II: Terror From the DLC
    Blaster Launcher? I hardly knew her! /slaps self.

Okay how about

XCOM II: Shooting through solid walls was never so much fun.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

XCOM 2: When in doubt, use high explosives.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

XCOM II: Mutons got the first one.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Science Ladies don't know 'bout my explosives.
    Fastest runner dies first.
    ...A Rookie walks into a bar...
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, the cargo ship mission is annoying! The cover is too far apart, you have to Dash a lot. Not good.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Titan in the Playground

Disposable rookies: is there any problem they won't solve?

To each and every alien, there is an equal and opposite explosion

Weapon frags or alien frags, you decide

I love the smell of roasted muton in the morning

Berserker kiting for fun and profit
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ettin in the Playground

XCOM: That wall won't save you.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

XCOM: I don't think we're alone around here
    XCOM: We're all living in America, america, it's wunderbar
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2012-11-18 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

30. - Top - End - #1440

XCOM: Intergalactic Boogaloo
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi