New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Exaggerated animations are good when you're looking at the action from afar like in this game. Their purpose is to convey information to you, like "I am reloading!" and "That Muton will charge at you next turn!" and so on. From your eye in the sky view, it needs to be exaggerated to make sure that the player sees it, even with Glam Cam turned off.

So, yeah, I agree that it's not very subtle, but for the purpose of playability, it's a good thing. Plus they picked an action figure-ish look for the game. Hammy acting and movement feels natural with that.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Exaggerated animations are good when you're looking at the action from afar like in this game. Their purpose is to convey information to you, like "I am reloading!" and "That Muton will charge at you next turn!" and so on. From your eye in the sky view, it needs to be exaggerated to make sure that the player sees it, even with Glam Cam turned off.

So, yeah, I agree that it's not very subtle, but for the purpose of playability, it's a good thing. Plus they picked an action figure-ish look for the game. Hammy acting and movement feels natural with that.
    Yeah. I mean, what in the original X-Com was ever really all that subtle to begin with...? The intro was the absolutely epitome of cheesey mid-nineties ham...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

That it was. And in-game wasn't much less over-the-top, either. I mean, look at this blaster bomb explosion:

Spoiler
    Show

The flames are shaped like skulls.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-09-15 at 03:20 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    That it was. And in-game wasn't much less over-the-top, either. I mean, look at this blaster bomb explosion:

Spoiler
    Show

I've played the game I don't know how many times and I've never noticed that.

Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

That was a good shot, too. Looks like sixeightnine aliens in that blast. (checked it over again) (Jeez, everytime I look I find more!)

Some context for this picture:
    Early in the mission at a landed Extra Large Ethereal ship, I hear an explosion and the sound of several Ethereals dying. I finally make it up to the top floor of the ship and I'm greeted with this scene.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ethereal:It was like this when I got here! I swear!
    Last edited by Krade; 2012-09-15 at 03:39 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    That was a good shot, too. Looks like sixeightnine aliens in that blast. (checked it over again) (Jeez, everytime I look I find more!)
    Heh. There's a story to that shot. It was really late into the game, I had everything researched and was getting ready for Cydonia. The aliens had discovered my HQ and sent a Snakeman battleship every couple of days. I had a half-dozen Plasma Tanks and four well trained 95+ psi strength officers on hand. So after a while I started getting bored and... well, just see for yourself:

Spoiler
    Show

I live the flavour of psionics cheese in the morning...
    Truth resists simplicity.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. There's a story to that shot. It was really late into the game, I had everything researched and was getting ready for Cydonia. The aliens had discovered my HQ and sent a Snakeman battleship every couple of days. I had a half-dozen Plasma Tanks and four well trained 95+ psi strength officers on hand. So after a while I started getting bored and... well, just see for yourself:

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    I live the flavour of psionics cheese in the morning...
    I know the feeling. Once on an alien base mission I mind controlled ALL of the aliens, forced them to stand in a neat circle in the control room, and Blaster bombed the hell out of it. I think it was ethereals, too. Might have been Mutons. It's been a while. I only did it that once, though. It just takes SO. FREAKIN. LONG to get them all grouped up like that and as fun as it was, it just wasn't worth the time investment to do it again.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is now a demo on Steam. Apparently it's two early/tutorial missions, so there's minimal spoilers...
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Word of warning to everyone: Pretty much every single cinematic in the game is hidden within the files of the demo from what I have heard (Hence the unusually large size for such a small demo) , some people have already managed to crack them open. Don't search there unless you want to see big-time spoilers.

As for the demo itself, it was pretty fun. It was a bit disappointing that the two missions post-tutorial were the same, the controls felt rather clunky, and the UI could use some work, but otherwise pretty good, certainly looking forward to October 9th.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-09-24 at 06:55 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    There is now a demo on Steam. Apparently it's two early/tutorial missions, so there's minimal spoilers...
    Minimal spoilers as long as you don't have a way to play Bink video files and don't take a closer look at what's in the Movies folder, yes. If you do, then it's maximum spoilers. So don't do that.

The game is pretty fun, really, and it is XCOM. Being careless will lead to casualties, and this is still part of the tutorial. Gotta love killer tutotrials, and I'm not talking about scripted deaths, either. The second part after you're allowed autonomy will kill your men if you mess up.

On the other hand, it's awesome when you pull off some sneaky tactics.

EDIT: Ah, beaten to the punch about the movies.
    Last edited by McNum; 2012-09-24 at 06:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    There is now a demo on Steam.
    Hm, that likely means that there'll be one on X-Box Live come tomorrow (I believe those typically release on Tuesdays). I'll have to remember to check for it.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope there's a demo for Xbox. I downloaded it for my PC, (we'll see if I can play it, my computer has a variety of issues that prevent various programs from running) and I was planning on trying to play it when I got home from work today. But if there's going to be one for Xbox, I'll be much more happy with that.

Edit: Nevermind, stupid computer. It can't open it. Man this thing is junk. One of these days I'm going to get around to actually replacing the damn thing.
    Last edited by Krade; 2012-09-25 at 05:40 AM.

I am B.
    Are you B?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

I hope the XBL demo is released by the time I get home.
    I mean, it's downloading on my computer as we speak, but if it's on XBL, I get to play it there and listen to my fiancée point out that this is all rather silly.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

For the record, I tried downloading and running the demo on XP. Oddly, it let me install it without batting an eye lid (I'd have thought it would have said something like "incompatible version of Windows" or something on the install); but the game wouldn't even appear to try to start once installed.

So it appears pretty definitively that it won't run on XP.

There's gonna a be few returns for Amazon, seeing as it's still listed as being XP compatible in several places, and no doubt it will get more than a few 1-star reviews because of that. And not totally unjustifiably so, since Firaxis should have made a much bigger and clearer deal about it their retailers, as currently, if you haven't been following the forums or something, you may well not know.

(And it's not like there's no a Vista/7 only game being advertised in the suggestions ection, so it's not like Amazon just have one category.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-25 at 08:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I was a little disappointed with the demo. It didn't run very smoothly. Camera controls were clunky, it should definitely be more free roaming. I didn't get to play the first level. Instead, I got to click where it told me to. Hopefully we can skip that in the final game.

I think there could be some more interface options, too. The previous/next soldier isn't bad, but I'd prefer a small window with portraits of my soldiers that I can click on at will instead.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah the camera seemed a little touchy and annoying for looking around teh map. However gameplay seemed very promising.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    I was a little disappointed with the demo. It didn't run very smoothly. Camera controls were clunky, it should definitely be more free roaming.
    Well, if that's the least responsive part of the interface, it should be good. It's a turn-based strategy game. I'm likely to pick a decent angle for the camera, and leave it there forever.

I didn't get to play the first level. Instead, I got to click where it told me to. Hopefully we can skip that in the final game.
    Unlikely - it is too cinematic. I'm assuming it is the same level they showed in youtube? An UFO spotting in a German town, ends with all but one members dead? Maybe in the harder difficulties you'll be able to skip it. Or it might actually set a flag to remember you've seen it already. But when 'initial contact' is that cinematic and directed, they're not likely to let you skip it, ever.

I think there could be some more interface options, too. The previous/next soldier isn't bad, but I'd prefer a small window with portraits of my soldiers that I can click on at will instead.
    That would take up a lot of screen real state, although it could be useful to know the ordering in which you are going to scroll through, and possibly add health indicators. But it is too late in development for such changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox
    that likely means that there'll be one on X-Box Live come tomorrow (I believe those typically release on Tuesdays).
    They have confirmed that the same demo will come out for both XBox and PS3 (according to google search, anyway). Any idea when PS3 demos usually come out?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #168

I'm surprised the demo would be coming out on consoles. It was so limited, I kind of had the impression that it was more of a PC benchmark test than anything else.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMobius View Post
    I'm surprised the demo would be coming out on consoles. It was so limited, I kind of had the impression that it was more of a PC benchmark test than anything else.
    From what I hear, it is a demo of both the combat system, the different types of enemies, and the base building. Precisely the three things I would look for in a demo of a base-building strategy game. While I am fairly certain I'll be buying the game, I will feel far more safe in my choice once I get to actually drive, rather than judge from the videos posted online.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    They have confirmed that the same demo will come out for both XBox and PS3 (according to google search, anyway). Any idea when PS3 demos usually come out?

Grey Wolf
    Sorry, no. I don't have a PS3.

It looks like the X-Box Live one isn't out yet anyway though. Checking their website, it looks like I was right about their demos releasing on Tuesdays, so that may mean we're waiting another week for it.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I didn't mind the first mission. Yes, you didn't so much "Play" the mission as "Click occasionally while it happens". But I can hardly blame a tutorial for hand-holding. Five minutes of moving my multinational-yet still with American accents squad exactly as directed is a decent price to pay for what the second mission convinced me is a quality gameplay system.

It also played the important role of making you watch your soldiers get taken down, in order to establish in your mind how vulnerable it was.

One thing I like in this game that they changed from classic Xcom is that your troops are actually fairly accurate with their weapons. The mutual vulnerability between Xcom and the Aliens means that the game is one of tactics. In Xcom Classic so much of your success or failure was at the whims of the random number generator, especially early on where an auto-shot at a sectoid three squares away might hit once.

With this game I felt vulnerable, that first mission drove home that an exposed soldier was a corpse in waiting. It also drove home a level of power, if you can get the enemy exposed, flanked, and in your sights. No Gamer likes to be out of control, we want to feel we have power. Too much power destroys the tension. The first mission demonstrated the power dynamic nicely I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #172

From what I hear, it is a demo of both the combat system, the different types of enemies, and the base building. Precisely the three things I would look for in a demo of a base-building strategy game. While I am fairly certain I'll be buying the game, I will feel far more safe in my choice once I get to actually drive, rather than judge from the videos posted online.
    Ehhhh... I completed it, taking about half an hour. You see all of three different types of enemies, and there's no actual base building to be seen (though there is some demonstration that yes, such a system exists in the full game). There is a little bit of combat, at least.

23. - Top - End - #173

NecromancerGirl

Unlikely - it is too cinematic. I'm assuming it is the same level they showed in youtube? An UFO spotting in a German town, ends with all but one members dead? Maybe in the harder difficulties you'll be able to skip it. Or it might actually set a flag to remember you've seen it already. But when 'initial contact' is that cinematic and directed, they're not likely to let you skip it, ever.
    If the intent is for the first mission to be cinematic and directed, then they could have relegated it to a cutscene, or have it play out automatically in about 1/3rd the time it took me to click through.

That would take up a lot of screen real state, although it could be useful to know the ordering in which you are going to scroll through, and possibly add health indicators. But it is too late in development for such changes.
    It doesn't have to take up a lot of screen space, though. The portraits could be the same size as the current buttons, just extended out as you add more squadmates. I do realize, though, that it is just a wishful thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I didn't mind the first mission. Yes, you didn't so much "Play" the mission as "Click occasionally while it happens". But I can hardly blame a tutorial for hand-holding. Five minutes of moving my multinational-yet still with American accents squad exactly as directed is a decent price to pay for what the second mission convinced me is a quality gameplay system.
    I think the average gamer is well past the necessity of this level of hand-holding. It was kind of insulting, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by JMobius View Post
    Ehhhh... I completed it, taking about half an hour. You see all of three different types of enemies, and there's no actual base building to be seen (though there is some demonstration that yes, such a system exists in the full game). There is a little bit of combat, at least.
    Yeah, it would have been nice to see some of the base building and soldier customization in action rather than just incidentally.
    Last edited by Toastkart; 2012-09-25 at 03:44 PM.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

If the intent is for the first mission to be cinematic and directed, then they could have relegated it to a cutscene, or have it play out automatically in about 1/3rd the time it took me to click through.
    The intent is not for it to be cinematic, it is to introduce the concepts of the game (movement, hustling, cover, aiming, missing, permadeath, grenades, flanking) one at a time in a controlled fashion and without requiring ten separate scenarios (like, say, Starcraft 2 had). To make it more than vaguely interesting, they also craft it into the first contact storyline, but that's not the main purpose. The purpose is to take those that have never played the game or its ilk begfore and gently introduce the concepts without boring them so much they quit before they even get to the actual game.

Making it a cutscene would also be more expensive than using the combat engine - and it is getting to the point where it would not look so much better that it would be worth the cost.

I think the average gamer is well past the necessity of this level of hand-holding. It was kind of insulting, actually.
    I believe you mean the median gamer, which at this point is a 35 year old US male who has been playing videogames for 20 years, maybe. But the point of a tutorial is for the 15-year-olds that have never played a cover based turn based strategy game. Given the lack of any such game in the last 10 years, there might be quite a few people who might want to give this one a try who need the hand-holding since they are used to respawning first-person shooters. For that matter, had I not watched the you-tube videos, I would have liked this step-by-step approach, even if I could figure out some of the more common points myself.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-09-25 at 03:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

I played the demo. It changes some things pretty significantly in comparison to the original, feels quite a lot like a console game, reminds me of Mass Effect in some things, and a lot of it is a barely-interactive tutorial.

I don't mind any of this. This game looks very good and it should be a worthy successor to the original.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Noticed a few people complaining about XPs and their non-usable nature for the game. I have a Mac. Please realize that I'm never going to be able to play this game, and I didn't even have a chance of it. If you could please cease complaining on this nature, thank you.

Looks fantastic, though, and I can't wait to watch some Let's Plays of it!
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Noticed a few people complaining about XPs and their non-usable nature for the game. I have a Mac. Please realize that I'm never going to be able to play this game, and I didn't even have a chance of it. If you could please cease complaining on this nature, thank you.
    And once again, somebody states my thoughts better than I could have.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Did everyone Else's Mister "I Survived the Tutorial" turn out to be a Heavy, too, or d'y'all think that's randomized?
    Also: Would it kill them to put the name of the countries somewhere? I don't know that many flags...
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Did everyone Else's Mister "I Survived the Tutorial" turn out to be a Heavy, too, or d'y'all think that's randomized?
    Also: Would it kill them to put the name of the countries somewhere? I don't know that many flags...
    I'm pretty sure it's scripted, since mine was a Heavy in all of the four times I have played through the demo.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-09-25 at 06:48 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    And once again, somebody states my thoughts better than I could have.
    I do try. If I can clear out enough room in my sig, I'll put it in there.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII