New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Ideas for marketing a Kindle novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
    And to my mild astonishment, it seems to be live now on DriveThruFiction!
    That's a PDF apparently. Enjoy!
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, somehow missed the last page of updates on this thread - looks like I have some reading to do!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

And I have had two more reviews on Amazon (UK)! One 5 star, one 4 star. That makes three reviews in total - perhaps I am getting somewhere!

4. - Top - End - #64

I'm still sitting at five reviews myself. Had a few incidents IRL - had to replace every wear part in the front end of my car - and so I can't afford to purchase any more copies of the book right now, leaving me sold out for the moment.

I was considering creating a thread here to see if people are willing to review it in exchange for free copies.
    You may think of me as:

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    I'm still sitting at five reviews myself. Had a few incidents IRL - had to replace every wear part in the front end of my car - and so I can't afford to purchase any more copies of the book right now, leaving me sold out for the moment.

I was considering creating a thread here to see if people are willing to review it in exchange for free copies.
    Your referring to Chains of loss? i actually got that back when it was being offered for free on the kindle store...i have not finished it, but its not because it doesnt interest me, its just i got the urge to read Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean for the 5th time on top of that, i spend most of my reading time working on my own fantasy novel and not actually reading...

what little i have read so far seems pretty good.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amazon is getting very awkward about reviews at present - they've removed hundreds of reviews in the last couple of months. Their targets tend to be reviews where there is no purchase or where the IP addresses match the vendor's IP. If someone puts up a review with no obvious source they may well squash it.

I'd been planning to buy Chains of Loss when I finished the book I'm currently reading (Lost Brigade, by Paul Kelly - a pretty good fantasy novel about ghosts returning to their steampunkish world to try to deal with other ghosts and spectres) - I'm happy to write a review once I do.
    Last edited by Lensman; 2012-11-08 at 03:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Glad to hear it. I am planning to use my final free day soon; putting a post up here would probably be a good idea.
    You may think of me as:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glad to hear it. I am planning to use my final free day soon; putting a post up here would probably be a good idea.
    I'd just bought my copy before I saw your post!

I agree that would be a good idea.

I'll do you a review once I've finished reading it (don't hold your breath - all my spare time at the moment is going into writing! not quite NaNoWriMo, but I'm up to 16500 words to date).

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you could do this: Buy an ad on a popular website (Order of the Stick? A different, popular webcomic?), hire or ask someone to do the art for the banner, link the ad to your book (offer a free sample, if you wish). Hope that your novel is worth reading.

I read a book (well, tried to) advertised that way. Unfortunately, the book sucked, and I never could force myself to the end. But the theory was sound.

The author wrote several books, with the first one a "freebie," while the rest of the series was "pay as you go." I didn't.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    The author wrote several books, with the first one a "freebie," while the rest of the series was "pay as you go." I didn't.
    i hate how so many books are like that! it has prevented me from finishing quite a few series...series's...whatever

one series is actually free up to the conclusion, which costs like U.S 10$. that really irritates me, things were getting pretty good despite its semi-slow start.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    i hate how so many books are like that! it has prevented me from finishing quite a few series...series's...whatever

one series is actually free up to the conclusion, which costs like U.S 10$. that really irritates me, things were getting pretty good despite its semi-slow start.
    Writers need to eat too. If their work is worth paying for, why shouldn't they charge for it? It's mainly a matter of figuring out what people are willing to pay, and charging an appropriate amount.

There are a number of magazines that pay writers for their work, but don't charge people to read it. I'm not entirely certain how they stay in business. Sometimes by selling collections and extras, like Rich does, I suppose. Sometimes by advertising. Sometimes by fundraisers. But finding a funding model that works is hard, and magazines are always going out of business because they can't find one.
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    Writers need to eat too. If their work is worth paying for, why shouldn't they charge for it? It's mainly a matter of figuring out what people are willing to pay, and charging an appropriate amount.
    i know, i was joking. i dont blame them for charging people since i would do the same thing in their position.

13. - Top - End - #73

PirateCaptain

Go to itunes, Find podcasts, Talk to the people who make them and have them do adverts for you
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Just a thought, but you could always try posting your links on the NaNoWriMo website- they have a section on their forums for self-promotion, and what better than to get it read by a whole load of aspiring writers?

In case you don't have a link for the NaNo site
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Reviews from well-known websites would be helpful. Tor.com, or Locus, or Black Gate, or Tangent Online. Getting those reviews might not be as easy, however, especially for self-published novels.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reviews from well-known websites would be helpful. Tor.com, or Locus, or Black Gate, or Tangent Online. Getting those reviews might not be as easy, however, especially for self-published novels.
    Tell me about it! So far, my efforts in that direction have been singularly unsuccessful...

I hadn't thought of NaNoWriMo - I might well post there.

Podcasts? No idea how many people watch them - depends on the 'cast, I suspect. Getting onto a popular one? See comments on reviews.

Is the book any good? Difficult for me to say - I think so, but then i would, wouldn't I? You'll have to wait for the opinion of someone who's read it...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you could ask someone who writes an occasional review for Black Gate.

Just saying.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Possibly worth noting that the banner ad at the top of the forums here has been empty for a week or so. You could be advertising on here for literally nothing right now - if only my story was finished!
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

19. - Top - End - #79

Is the book any good? Difficult for me to say - I think so, but then i would, wouldn't I? You'll have to wait for the opinion of someone who's read it...
    AMEN to that. That's one of the most frustrating questions - "Is it any good?" Of course I think it's good. Decent at least, or I'd be too mortified to show it to anyone. But my own prejudices are always going to be in the way.

I've tried to entice a couple of review sites, but a large number of them are closed due to overwhelming volume of submissions. I've officially scheduled my giveaway for November 24th. On the 26th, the book exits the Amazon contract and I can distribute it to reviewers for free.

I'm also planning on putting up a giveaway of print copies on Goodreads. That'll take a little while for me to afford more copies, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Possibly worth noting that the banner ad at the top of the forums here has been empty for a week or so. You could be advertising on here for literally nothing right now - if only my story was finished!
    *tries to look nonchalant*
    Last edited by Talanic; 2012-11-12 at 02:16 AM.
    You may think of me as:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've officially scheduled my giveaway for November 24th. On the 26th, the book exits the Amazon contract and I can distribute it to reviewers for free.
    Good luck with that. I've done something similar on LibraryThing - I gave away 12 e-copies, and I'm hoping for at least four or five reviews in response, but there is never any certainty.

*tries to look nonchalant*
    Aaargh! I should have tried that!

21. - Top - End - #81

One day of advertising has netted me 75 viewings of my site. Of those, 10 were people who left and returned (to read more? I can hope...).

As of right now, that's no sales, sadly. I've got the funds for one more day of advertising at the current rate, and tomorrow's my day off. That's a good thing - I'm under the weather today and in kinda bad shape.
    You may think of me as:

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Just read the sample of Chains of Loss, and it's made me want to read more.
    My problem is that I don't have a kindle, and i can't currently afford to buy the dead-tree version.

I'll definitely try to figure out a way, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

23. - Top - End - #83

I've found that marketing is the biggest part of being successful with self-publishing. I'm getting ready to release my third book in the next couple of weeks, and reviews & word-of mouth are what I mainly rely on to sell books because I can't afford to quit my day job to spend as much time as I need to to market my books. Sure, you can spam Twitter and Facebook with automated stuff all day long, but soon you get known as "That Guy"; successful use of social media for marketing requires actual interaction with people and not just incessant parroting of sales links.

Getting reviews is hard. I sent my first novel, Wings of Twilight, to several places for reviews (after making sure they would reviews self-pubbed books, some places just assume if you didn't get publishing through NY, then your work is rubbish no matter how much time & money you put into editing & proofreading) and to my knowledge, most have not yet reviewed it. The vast majority of my reviews have come from people who just bought it and read it.

I've also found (and perhaps YMMV based on your location) that the vast, vast majority of my sales come from Amazon. I've had a few people complain that they can't find my book in the iBookstore, but I tell them to just download the free Kindle app and buy it from Amazon. Until you're selling enough copies to actually make a living from it, you're probably not going to see enough of a return to mess with more than Amazon and maybe Smashwords to cover your other bases for e-readers. Releasing it through DriveThru Fiction in PDF is pretty easy, though, especially if you've already set up a version for PoD because you can just rerun the PDF with different settings to make a version suitable for Acrobat (i.e. one without bleeds and set for screen resolution instead of print).

I average about 2-3 book sales a month right now, doing minimal marketing. When I released my second novel, Iron Fist of the Oroqs, I went with KDP because, why not? Naturally, I forgot to really use the marketing tools that come with it, but I did do a free weekend once and got 256 downloads, some of which have no doubt translated into sales for Wings of Twilight. Once I release my next novel (Zack Jackson & The Cult of Athos, a YA Sci-Fi) and get the first draft finished that I'm working on (Zack Jackson & The Cytherian Academy), I plan to format both Iron Fist & Zack Jackson book 1 for Smashwords & DriveThru Fiction and all three of my books for Kobo's store. I'm sure I'm missing out on a handful of sales for not having Iron Fist available on more than one platform, but based on how Wings of Twilight did on Smashwords, I'm guessing I'm losing on only $10, maybe $20 of income.

I've spent a bit of energy doing social networking and NOT telling people to buy my books, but rather talking about my books and writing and just asking if people are interested in reviewing them and making myself available for interviews. I seem to get a better response to that than by saying "Hey look! Buy my book!" Wings of Twilight recently got a nice shout-out on Underdiscussion: The Undergopher Podcast and I'm scheduled for an interview with another award-nominated Podcast (whose identity I will keep to myself until it's in the can, just in case). It's a very slow process (Wings of Twilight was released in Oct. 2011), but I'm in it for the long haul and right now I'm just concentrating on building up my back catalog so that if I do decide to contract with a publicist, they'll actually have something to sell. Until then, I'll just keep my day job and try to find more creative ways to reduce my art costs (the curse of demanding awesome cover art is that you either have to be an artist, be really good friends with an artist, or throw money at someone...I have to do #3).

Hope things go well for you. We Indie Authors have to stick together!
    JediSoth
    Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author, Gamer, Foodie
    Doctor StrangeRoll or How I learned to stop worrying and love all D&D

"The quality of our legacy is measured in the lives we touch."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

i just got the sample of Wings of Twilight, it sounds pretty good, atleast from the description granted to me in he kindle store...

my own novel should(hopefully) be available within a year or so. i really dont have as much time as i would like.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    i just got the sample of Wings of Twilight, it sounds pretty good, atleast from the description granted to me in he kindle store...

my own novel should(hopefully) be available within a year or so. i really dont have as much time as i would like.
    I like to think it's pretty good. The sequel is better. I learned a lot doing Wings of Twilight, but I refuse to pull a Lucas and go back and change things.

Editing and revising take the most time, because you spend so much of that time waiting on other people (as well as trying to get your brain back in the right state-of-mind to dig into that story again, which can be hard if you've just worked on a different book with different characters). Once you get everything ready, it's just a matter of formatting. Oh, I always register my work with the US Copyright Office & Library of Congress, too. Just in case...
    JediSoth
    Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author, Gamer, Foodie
    Doctor StrangeRoll or How I learned to stop worrying and love all D&D

"The quality of our legacy is measured in the lives we touch."

26. - Top - End - #86

Well, my advertising is over. I'm not sure that it's led to any sales so far, but we'll see. I can only track hits on my sample page, which spiked sharply and don't seem to have gone back down to nothing after the ads ended.

I only received one sale during the period of advertising, which may or may not have been linked to the ad. It's possible that I needed a better advertisement, but this is all I managed to come up with.

My other crazed publicity idea is my policy on derivative works. It's written up on a sub-page of my sample. In effect, anyone has permission to create and sell derivative works. Fanfic, art, plushies, etc. They just have to credit my creation of the setting, contact me for a new contract if they make (or anticipate) over ten grand in profits (a clause that's really just there in case of far greater success than anticipated), and respect my right to revoke this contract, which I promise will not happen except in cases that I do not currently forsee.
    You may think of me as:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's possible that I needed a better advertisement, but this is all I managed to come up with.
    Sorry, but I'd tend to agree. The banner looked like something akin to Fifty Shades of Grey, or else to some deep psychological study that would be turgid and dire - not like a fantasy novel at all. Having read the first third of the book already, the title doesn't seem to fit the book yet, and the cover is totally wrong.

A shame, because the book itself is actually a lot of fun.

I think you're right with your "derivative works" policy - if I have some spare time this weekend (which is by no means likely much of this weekend is geared up to running a Call of Cthulhu game, and I really need to find some time to write some more for Sorrel Snowbound) I might try doing an image based on the crash-scene in the novel. (Don't hold your breath!)
    Last edited by Lensman; 2012-11-16 at 02:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that it's official, I figured I ought to let everyone know. (Besides, Lensman was the only one to get my hint above.)

I've decided to start reviewing self-published books for Black Gate. If you would like me to review your novel, please follow the guidelines at Black Gate's website.

Black Gate is a well-known and influential magazine of adventure fantasy, and I think this is a good opportunity to expose our readers to worthy self-published books.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

29. - Top - End - #89

Sorry, but I'd tend to agree. The banner looked like something akin to Fifty Shades of Grey, or else to some deep psychological study that would be turgid and dire - not like a fantasy novel at all. Having read the first third of the book already, the title doesn't seem to fit the book yet, and the cover is totally wrong.
    Sad to hear that. I'm pleased with how the banner LOOKS - same with the cover - but I agree that they don't represent my book very well. I have quite a bit of trouble with visual media, which is especially problematic because tomorrow's an advertising deadline - I need to have flyers done for pizza boxes in order to tell people about the final free day on the 24th. I should probably whip up a draft before I go to bed (the time of which is rapidly approaching) so my wife can critique it before she goes to work.

A shame, because the book itself is actually a lot of fun.
    Glad to hear it.

I think you're right with your "derivative works" policy - if I have some spare time this weekend (which is by no means likely much of this weekend is geared up to running a Call of Cthulhu game, and I really need to find some time to write some more for Sorrel Snowbound) I might try doing an image based on the crash-scene in the novel. (Don't hold your breath!)
    And glad to hear this as well.

I've decided to start reviewing self-published books for Black Gate. If you would like me to review your novel, please follow the guidelines at Black Gate's website.
    This is awesome. I'm afraid that my own book doesn't look like a fit for Black Gate, though - it's as much sci fi as it is fantasy. Still, I submitted it to you, in case you disagree.
    You may think of me as:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

This is awesome. I'm afraid that my own book doesn't look like a fit for Black Gate, though - it's as much sci fi as it is fantasy. Still, I submitted it to you, in case you disagree.
    I'm taking a broad view of what fantasy is for this column. If it has supernatural or fantastic elements, I'll consider it.
    Donald S. Crankshaw