New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ideas for marketing a Kindle novel?

Now it's spot on! Love it. =D

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    As far as the 'screaming for blood' thing, such a thing doesn't tend to require much translation to be understood in broad terms.
    I like it - it certainly works for me. I understand Factotum's point, but actually I think the dichotomy just adds to the amusement factor.

I've taken to putting my equivalent in my signature, below - thoughts and comments welcomed. Does it grab you, or is it boring?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

I waited for my wife to help me respond.

First, (funds permitting, which they haven't been for a while) I'm going to buy a copy in order to give more helpful feedback, but right now it needs more of what makes your story stand out. The triplane mentioned in the larger description, for example.

Perhaps some sort of snark about how dogfighting a dragon over an accursed chasm may lead to unpleasant consequences.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I agree, your banner is a bit plain, Lensman. The single best hook I've seen for your novel is when you quoted the first lines:

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
    Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

This wasn't.
    I would suggest starting with that in large font, then underneath you can put in more of the 'this novel contains x, y, and z' type information (also, make sure you put that it's a book in there somewhere -- looking at it now, I have no idea what it is!)
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    I agree, your banner is a bit plain, Lensman. The single best hook I've seen for your novel is when you quoted the first lines:

I would suggest starting with that in large font, then underneath you can put in more of the 'this novel contains x, y, and z' type information (also, make sure you put that it's a book in there somewhere -- looking at it now, I have no idea what it is!)

My current ad on DriveThruFiction is:

Spoiler
    Show

...which again doesn't actually say it's a novel, but as it's on a Fiction site, is probably more obvious.

On the other hand, it has so far sold absolutely no copies there.

Alternatively, I've just put this together:

Spoiler
    Show

Thoughts and advice welcomed!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

My current ad on DriveThruFiction is:

Spoiler
    Show

...which again doesn't actually say it's a novel, but as it's on a Fiction site, is probably more obvious.

On the other hand, it has so far sold absolutely no copies there.
    Hm, then something is wrong, because I bought my copy from DriveThruFiction.

Like the second banner better but I don't like how spoilerish it is. The again, the first one is kinda spoilerish as well.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-12-12 at 12:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Hm, then something is wrong, because I bought my copy from DriveThruFiction.
    Sorry - I should have said that I haven't sold any copies on DTF since I put up the banner. I'd sold a couple on DTF when it first launched there, but nothing since then.

Like the second banner better but I don't like how spoilerish it is. The again, the first one is kinda spoilerish as well.
    Spoilers are a real problem - we need enough information to get people interested in the book, but not enough to spoil the story. The second banner is very much drawing on Savannah's comments, and I tend at the moment to agree with you, Thiago, that it is better - anyone else got any feelings about them?

8. - Top - End - #128

I'm not very fond of the question style of teaser ad. The answer is always "Yes", isn't it?

I just purchased Sorrel in Scarlet and hopefully will have better advice in the next day or two.
    You may think of me as:

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've just realised that I never uploaded the review I'd written of Chains of Loss to Amazon. I've finally corrected the omission - it's on Amazon.co.uk and also on Goodreads.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Just finished reading Sorrel in Scarlet. Rather enjoyed it - I'll do a full review a bit later in the week.

One thing the book desperately needs at the back is a glossary. There's a lot of strange and unusual names that get thrown around and it's difficult to keep track of what they all mean. I found it a little difficult to warm to the character of Sorrel to begin with but definitely towards the end she'd grown on me. Wrack is most definitely my favourite character though. He's such a volging smartass.

11. - Top - End - #131

Still working on Sorrel in Scarlet. It's been heck here in real life, with what still might wind up being a medical emergency for my wife. She has high blood pressure - very high, at age 23 - so they're checking for heart damage.
    Last edited by Talanic; 2012-12-25 at 03:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Still working on Sorrel in Scarlet. It's been heck here in real life, with what still might wind up being a medical emergency for my wife. She has high blood pressure - very high, at age 23 - so they're checking for heart damage.
    My thoughts are with you both - I hope she's okay.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Just finished reading Sorrel in Scarlet. Rather enjoyed it - I'll do a full review a bit later in the week.

One thing the book desperately needs at the back is a glossary. There's a lot of strange and unusual names that get thrown around and it's difficult to keep track of what they all mean. I found it a little difficult to warm to the character of Sorrel to begin with but definitely towards the end she'd grown on me. Wrack is most definitely my favourite character though. He's such a volging smartass.
    Couldn't agree more about Wrack. Sorrel - she's no angel, and she can be a bitch at times, but her heart's in the right place.

When I was setting the book up for print-on-demand, I was having real problems with numbers of pages. So I didn't put anything like that in, and having not put it in the paperback, I didn't think I ought to put it into the kindle version. So there is no glossary. What I have now done is to put one online, in the Sorrel webpage - I hope it's of some use.

14. - Top - End - #134

Good news - my wife is just fine. She'll be on high blood pressure medication for the rest of her life, but that should be a good long time and it's not expensive. She's already feeling better from pains she didn't even realize she had.

In the writing front, things bogged down for a bit, but one of my readers may be interested in making a flash game. I've also dusted off my first story - the one that established my setting - and am revamping it with the aim of submitting it to Black Gate and other publications. Last time I did so, it won a contest at college, so it's got something to it.

I could use some friendly eyes on it. Can't always see my own mistakes clearly. If anyone's interested, just drop me a PM; I've got it as a google document.

Regarding Sorrel in Scarlet, the story didn't hook me right away, but once we met Wrack, it picked up quite nicely. I read over half the book that night (staying up far too late), but have been too busy to finish it so far.
    Last edited by Talanic; 2012-12-30 at 02:45 AM.
    You may think of me as:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good news - my wife is just fine. She'll be on high blood pressure medication for the rest of her life, but that should be a good long time and it's not expensive. She's already feeling better from pains she didn't even realize she had.
    Very relieved to hear that - pass on my best wishes and tell her not to do anything to stress herself.

And I'm glad Sorrel did grab you eventually.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stop press! Newsflash!

I have finished the first draft of Sorrel Snowbound!

All right, so that doesn't mean it's remotely near being ready to publish - there are gaps in the narrative, and numerous places where I now know I need to change what I've written, and I need to add in more description in places...

... but it's progress!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Write a sequel, charge 4$ for the sequel, give the first one away for free. I can't help myself when this happens (assuming the first book is great).

Make sure you get your book on Kindle-owner blogvertisements like Pixel of Ink, which is a service promoting free or "hot deals" in Kindle books. I get 90% of my books from there.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

My first Black Gate review of a self-published book is now online.

For those who've requested that I review your books, even if I haven't reviewed yours for this first pass, that doesn't mean I won't come back to it.
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    Write a sequel, charge 4$ for the sequel, give the first one away for free. I can't help myself when this happens (assuming the first book is great).

Make sure you get your book on Kindle-owner blogvertisements like Pixel of Ink, which is a service promoting free or "hot deals" in Kindle books. I get 90% of my books from there.
    Thanks for the link - I'd not encountered Pixel of Ink before, so I've added it to my bookmarks, and will make use of it when Sorrel Snowbound is finished and released. Once I've got a sequel, I'll have to decide if to try the "free first volume" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    My first Black Gate review of a self-published book is now online.
    Enjoyed the review, but I think I'll give Tiger Lily a miss - which means your review did exactly what I needed it to do.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Stop press! Newsflash!

I have finished the first draft of Sorrel Snowbound!

All right, so that doesn't mean it's remotely near being ready to publish - there are gaps in the narrative, and numerous places where I now know I need to change what I've written, and I need to add in more description in places...

... but it's progress!
    Is it ready for beta testing yet? =3

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

pretty sure that'd count as an alpha test rather than a beta.

how nerdy was that?

thinking about it. since you aren't in the development side it would be classed as a beta. regardless of it's production state

Edit: also how hard is it to send someone a kindle book? i can re-download one but not buy another as a gift.
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2013-01-07 at 09:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not even remotely! It's not yet at a stage I would even think about inflicting it upon a poor, defenceless world. Give it two months and it'll be getting close. (Books, like wine, have to mature).

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    pretty sure that'd count as an alpha test rather than a beta.

how nerdy was that?

thinking about it. since you aren't in the development side it would be classed as a beta. regardless of it's production state

Edit: also how hard is it to send someone a kindle book? i can re-download one but not buy another as a gift.
    Actually, writers use terms like alpha readers and beta readers for people they have read their stories and give them feedback. Alpha readers are first, then beta readers. For me, my alpha readers are my writing group.
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

24. - Top - End - #144

BardGuy

I've now finished reading this. I will be putting have already put a review up on my blog on Saturday, but I've also given it 4 stars on Amazon.

Full review now here on my blog. I don't go easy on it, but I think the book still comes across well.
    Last edited by Capt Spanner; 2013-01-09 at 05:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's a really good review! Thank you! Is it okay if I link to your blog from my blog and from the Sorrel facebook page?

26. - Top - End - #146

BardGuy

That's a really good review! Thank you! Is it okay if I link to your blog from my blog and from the Sorrel facebook page?
    Of course is it Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Capt Spanner; 2013-01-10 at 03:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Very nice review. I was planning to post one myself once I give the book a second read-through, but it depends on how much I find myself having to say.

If you still want more suggestions for blurbs for Sorrel in Scarlet, I might have one or two.
    Last edited by Talanic; 2013-01-13 at 01:33 AM.
    You may think of me as:

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very nice review. I was planning to post one myself once I give the book a second read-through, but it depends on how much I find myself having to say.

If you still want more suggestions for blurbs for Sorrel in Scarlet, I might have one or two.
    Yes please... and yes please! I've had an ad running on DriveThru with the most recent blurb I posted here, and it has generated absolutely no responses, so I'd be delighted to have other ideas for it.

29. - Top - End - #149

I don't think this is good enough yet but I think it's a step in the right direction:

Sorrel's war was lost years ago, but she just couldn't resist a last strike at the dragon she hated most. It backfired horribly when the dragon shot down her triplane into a gorge they thought was bottomless, stranding them both. Now she and her enemy are stranded in an unexpected jungle, in the middle of someone else's war.

I'm not sure if it needs more, less, or different. Will keep thinking about it.
    You may think of me as:

30. - Top - End - #150

BardGuy

< joke >
    I say, I say, I say!

If the eponymous Sorrel were to make her residence in the world of 2013, which city would she choose?

Spoiler
    Show

Volgograd, of course.

< / joke >