New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Ideas for marketing a Kindle novel?

Anyone / everyone else out there who's self-publishing, ABNA opened on the 13th. You're up against 9,999 others, but the pot is a $50,000 contract (or $15,000 for the four runner-ups).

Apparently getting to 'finalist' status is enough to get agents pounding on your door, too.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    Anyone / everyone else out there who's self-publishing, ABNA opened on the 13th. You're up against 9,999 others, but the pot is a $50,000 contract (or $15,000 for the four runner-ups).

Apparently getting to 'finalist' status is enough to get agents pounding on your door, too.
    My submission has just gone in - the deadline is midnight US tonight, if anyone else is still thinking about giving it a try.

3. - Top - End - #153

Apparently it closed only a couple hours after you submitted your book.

I used the pitch we made here. Figured that it would be a trial by fire for it. I've entered several times before, with lackluster results. One judge admitted that he stopped reading the moment he realized it was science fiction and just forwarded it on with all categories marked as one star.

I found a nice list of book reviewers and I've heard back from four of them. None of them are finished yet, but we'll see what they have to say.
    You may think of me as:

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    One judge admitted that he stopped reading the moment he realized it was science fiction and just forwarded it on with all categories marked as one star.
    I would say what I think about that judge, but I don't want to get banned from the forums...

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

My most recent review is up at Black Gate, if anyone's interested. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to review next.
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

6. - Top - End - #156

Oooh! Oooh! Pick me!

From my understanding of indie book reviewing, you're probably not suffering from too few books to choose from at this point. If you go down the list of reviewers in my previous post, a startling number of them have closed to submissions because they simply got too many requests and can't handle them all.
    You may think of me as:

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Donald: Good review - thanks. (And obviously Sorrel is still patiently hoping you'll look in her direction) (Sorrel? Patient? Not a common occurrence, I might add!)

Talanic: I saw a statistic that 470 books are being published every day at present. That really is terrifying. So I am not surprised that the review sites are drowning.
    Last edited by Lensman; 2013-02-05 at 03:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the good things about my methodology is that I can always come back and review novels I haven't done yet. Of course, that can be hard on people who are hoping I'll review their book next. When I do decide to review a book, I do let the author know. At the least, I'll need a cover image (and a review copy, but sometimes I can get that for free without having to bother the author).
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2013-02-05 at 08:42 AM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Failed to get anywhere in ABNA.

Never mind - I have finished the second draft of Sorrel Snowbound and it is with my editor. Now to start work on Sorrel in Silver...

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Latest Black Gate review is up. This month: Chains of Loss by Robert Sier.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

11. - Top - End - #161

So much happened today.

I became an uncle. Little Peter John, born to my oldest sister. Granted, he's her fourth child, and that's my seventh uncling counting only my direct siblings, but still a big day.

I come home and I find this. Not just my first professional review from an actual publication but an incredibly positive one!

May I take quotes from the review for the back of the book? I'll need to figure out which ones...
    You may think of me as:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Feel free to quote, if you'd like. The proper attribution is probably "Donald Crankshaw at Black Gate. I am curious to see whether my review leads to many sales. I expect some, but I have no idea whether it's 10, 100, or 1000.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

: Donald: good review - I'm fascinated to read a review of a book I had already read. I'm also rather pleased that my view of it is pretty similar to yours.

: Talanic: congratulations on becoming an uncle again. Let us know what happens to your sales as a result of the review. Of course, the bad news is that it gives us every justification to bully you to hurry up and finish the sequel...
    Last edited by Lensman; 2013-03-03 at 12:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

Sales didn't pick up as much as I'd hoped, but it should be a long-term benefit.

Right now I'm working on uploading the book to PirateBay. It would (probably) wind up there eventually, so I might as well have it there on my own terms. Done right it's just a form of free samples.

Also there's a site that PirateBay runs called PromoBay. Looks intriguing.
    You may think of me as: