Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 159
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    You stand besides a solid steel door, with no indications of what is behind it, set into a stone face at the base of a cliff. Various rumours from towns in the nearby area - the ones who don't tell you to stay well away - suggest that this is an entrance to the Twisted Dungeon of Chaos, home to untold riches. Nobody knows what is actually inside though, since everybody who has previously entered has perished inside or been driven mad.

    Closer inspection reveals faint markings engraved on the door. A circular symbol in the middle of the door, with the a flame to the left, a drop of water to the right, stones to the bottom and the wind to the top. There are no other markings on the door at all, nor any handle or indication of how to open it.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus takes a few steps towards the door, examining it visually for any crevasses or seams that might be hidden mechanisms. How to get it open...?
    He speaks up after a moment in a mechanical tenor, "Miss Moonsong, do these markings mean anything to you? If it's trapped, I may be able to disarm it, but I'm unfortunately rather bland when it comes to magical traps."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge Dungeoneering to see if I can think of the proper first procedure: (1d20+6)[14]
    Search, just visually so far, but to see if I can find any sign of traps or hidden mechanisms: (1d20+3)[15]
    Spot (if it's more applicable than search): (1d20+6)[15]
    Currently played characters:

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun stands toward the back of the group, leaning on his enormous hammer like it was a walking stick.
    "Might be that I could break down that door. It'd take me a minute or two, but it's only steel. I don't much like the idea of hitting something that might me magicked though," His voice is low and dry, speaking of years spent in the harsh desert, "If someone can check that there's no magic on it, I'll get us inside."

    Avatar by Ava

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    As you look closer at the door, you notice that it is remarkably clear of any kind of damage or wear. The surface is perfectly smooth, apart from the engraving on the door. The engraving is quite obviously a representation of the four elements, but nothing comes to mind as to what that could mean.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Vhaenys Moonsong grips the hilt of her sword tightly with both hands as the group approaches the door. The dying sunlight playing on the ancestral weapon grabs her attention as she scans the length of the blade for nicks and scratches. Distracted by this task, it takes a while until she notes the Warforged is speaking to her.

    Markings? What markings? Ah, those. Right. Let me see... squinting her eyes in the gloom of the entry hall, she kneels down to examine the door and jog her mind for any pattern recognition flashbacks.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[16] knowledge, whichever applies: arcana +12, religion +8, history +12
    (1d20+14)[33] decipher script


    If no conclusive answer appears, she'll move the sword to her left hand, and trace a small circle in the air between the door and her eyes, in search of more clues.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic, Spellcraft (1d20+14)[24]

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla

    Merla moves her neck from side to side, touching it to each shoulder as she raises her legs up to her chest, one after the other. She flexes her arms backwards and forwards. She's a short, freckled young woman with frizzy ginger hair held in place with a cloth handband, and she's currently smiling in anticipation. She's murmuring a prayer as she stretches, "May I bring pride to the memory of our most honored ancestors. Wee Jas, grant me the calm of Queen Ochrho XIV, the fury of Templar Giles the Unbroken, and the cunning of Lord Elgnub I."

    She's wearing an steel breastplate over the top of a robe, coloured a mixture of blood-red, black, and grey. The robe is festooned with brass buckles and belts all the way down it's length. She's wearing a silver ring that depicts a stylized red skull, wreathed in a burst of fire. Both her robes and the elaborate holy symbol on the ring mark her as a worshipper of Wee Jas, though she looks a little young to be a priestress, and the robes she's wearing look more like a uniform than a cleric's vestments. She's carrying an iron-shod quarterstaff, and a long knife at her belt.

    She finishes stretching and steps forward. Her eyes drift around the group; she nods deferentially to the elven woman, identifying her as a mage and therefore an intellectual and social peer, and openly stares at the warforged and the crucian, showing an undisguised scholarly fascination with their unusual forms. Her voice rings out, clear, confidant:

    "My name is Merla. I am a member of the local sect of Wee Jas. The church has always had an interest in this dungeon, and the head priestess feels that this group is stronger and better prepared than the groups that have gone before it. She desired that a cleric accompany you, both to act as our representative and to ensure your success. I volunteered. The Ruby Sorceress has smiled down upon your little venture, my friends. Be glad in your hearts, and know that our victory is assured! Do tell me your names, and share what you can do."

    Merla looks out over the door, examining the odd runes and trying to identify them. She searches her mind for anything she's heard about how to open the door, going over her education on locks or seals of this type, old legends about the dungeon, and the transcripts that her church painstakingly recorded of the mad ramblings of those few who emerged and made it back to them.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+7)[21]
    Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering (1d20+3)[12]
    Knowledge: History (1d20+3)[22]
    Knowledge: Local (1d20+7)[16]
    Knowledge: Religion (1d20+9)[15]
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-08-30 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    She moves closer, peering over Vhaenys' shoulder. She nods, as if having checked something and satisfied herself.

    "We are looking at an elemental key. The door is linked to four different destinations, and can be configured by applying a specimen of the appropriate element to the fresco. Observe."

    Merla scoops up a handful of dirt and loose stones, and hurls them at the door.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-08-30 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Vhaenys presses her lips together after examining the door. It's an elemental key, and there's no way of knowing where it'll open to - although we may exert some measure of control by applying the right element to the portal. She runs a hand through her hair, sheathes her sword, and continues nervously, holding a waterskin, does anyone feel up for a swim? Alternatively, we can throw a pebble or blow some air on it and see what happens. The fire, I'd rather avoid ...

    Her long-winded explanation, however, is too slow, and allows the priestess to take the initiative...
    Last edited by Zdrak; 2012-08-30 at 02:23 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    As Merla throws the stones at the door, it simply disappears as if it was never there. Behind the gap is a staircase leading down to a sturdy looking wooden door, with a corridor leading away to the right where the staircase meets the door. The floors and walls are made of smooth stone, and whilst its dark the place isn't totally without light - there are glows coming from the walls somehow.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun heaves his massive hammer up onto his shoulder, resting its bulk on the edge of his shell,
    "Well, that was easier than hitting it. That's why I let you types figure out these things." Armun begins to make his way down the stairs at a leisurely pace, and when he reaches the door he peers down the adjoining corridor, as far as he can see in the eerie, dim glow of the cavern.

    Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: My roll messed up. To avoid polluting the IC thread, I've rolled it in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by dark.sun.druid; 2012-08-30 at 03:22 PM.

    Avatar by Ava

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla

    Merla reaches in to her pack, producing a dull gray stone that appears to be on fire. She holds it before her as if it isn't wreathed in flame, however, and releases it. Rather than falling, the stone slowly begins to orbit around her head.

    She removes a 6 inch polished iron hoop from a pouch at her side. She incants a prayer to Wee Jas as she slowly sets it down around her hair. She removes it, and a shimmering crown of force appears upon her head in its place. It seems to twist and oscillate when the light from the stone plays over it. A barely visible shield of force projects forward from it.

    She turns to Zeus. "You. Warforged are marvellous creations. Living, speaking history! Walking among us! You'll still remember this journey long after your friends and I are dead and buried, won't you?" She smiles, clearly thinking that Zeus should find this uplifting rather than sad. "I don't recognize your design, though. You are a bit scuffed, and your finish is scratched in places, but that looks like battle damage... very little sign of natural wear and tear. You must be quite new. How old are you, marvellous creation?"

    She approaches him and runs a finger over his segmented armor plates, trailing down over the track mechanism on his arm. She intones another prayer, and Zeus is suddenly hit by a sensation that something vast and beautiful and unknowably old is watching him with interest. He feels a rush of pride and self-admiration, his past accomplishments flashing past his eyes, followed with a momentary sense of future great deeds he is yet to perform. He feels as if he can do anything.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Crown of Protection on Merla. +1 deflection bonus to AC and a +1 resistance bonus on all saves, can discharge as immediate action to gain a +4 deflection bonus to AC or a +4 resistance bonus on saves for 1 round. Lasts for 5 hours.

    Casting Heroism on Zeus. +2 morale bonus on all his attack rolls, saves, and skill checks for 50 minutes.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-08-30 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The corridor goes about 20' before turning to the right again, and has another right turn about halfway down its length. The end of the corridor has a glow from the wall again, illuminating the corner.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun turns back to the rest of the party, and calls,
    "The corridor branches off in several places. I'd rather open up this door before we get lost in an underground maze." He walks back up the stairs to where his companions wait, taking his time with each step. When he steps out of the smooth stone corridor and onto the ground, his footsteps leave half-inch deep impressions in the dirt, clearly showing the detail of his two-toed feet, and send up tinny puffs of fine dust. He drops his hammer back to the ground - which leaves an impression as well - and leans on it, surveying this mishmash of people whom he was about to venture into unknown danger with.
    The corners of his mouth turned down in an expression not dissimilar to concern.

    Avatar by Ava

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Vhaenys is again lost in thought for a moment as she peers into the depths. Seeing her friends starting forward, she casts a charm of protection, and switches from sword to bow, arrow nocked and ready to let fly. For a while, she's the spitting image of Elven amazon warriors of old - but only for a short time. Soon her skinny arms tire from holding the string taught, and she gives up on her warlike stance, still peering cautiously forward.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mage Armor before entering the dungeon

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "The door it is, then." Merla agrees. "Zeus should check it first."

    She stays behind Armun, reasoning that any creature that can swing around a maul that large must be much stronger and more resilient than she is. The thought annoys her, and she churlishly doubles the number of pushups she intends to do before she sleeps tonight. She examines the visible part of his shell.

    "That is a beautiful painting, Armun. Is that where you come from? Who created it for you?"
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-08-30 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun turned around to look at the priestess, studying her form. She was strong for a human, he could tell, but she was thin and small, and looked more likely to dart in and out of a fight than to stand her ground. He responded anyway,
    "No, but it's near there. I grew up at a small oasis in the desert. The mountains were always visible in the distance, day and night, no matter how far we would roam. Most tribesmen chose to have the elders paint scenes of battles on their shells when they came of age, or meaningless patterns. I took up the mountains, because I stand as one of them in battle. And I haven't lost yet."

    Avatar by Ava

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Whilst everyone is discussing the best plan of action, the door fades back into existence, as smooth and solid as if it had been there the whole time.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus replies to Merla: "That remains to be seen, Miss Merla. Warforged are mortal just like people made of flesh. Most of us have not existed long enough to tell for certain how long we can be expected to function before failing due to age-based wear and tear. ... Thank you though for the compliments, I'm flattered. I like your robes, they are very... staccato." Staccato may have been a poor choice indicating something that stands out... perhaps I should have said legato?
    After a short pause, he adds "My design is unique, to my knowledge, specializing in marksmanship and speed. I will happily investigate the door to be certain it is safe. If there are traps I am sure I will find them... only, we may need to open the external steel door again first. I would suggest we all move in together this time."
    With that, he draws and lights a sunrod, setting it in the brim of his hat before checking to be sure the crossbow on his right arm is ready.
    Currently played characters:

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla nods reflectively as Armun replies, "I see. It is an interesting choice you made. It must be like having a piece of home with you, always." She nods back to Zeus as he prepares to head down. "Agreed, then. We'll follow you down."

    Merla kicks a small rock at the door, waits for it to open, and follows down after Zeus and Armun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus looks over the door, and can't find anything untoward about it.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla moves to one side of the door, and stands ready, waiting for the warriors to open it.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-08-31 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus spends a few moments at the door, examining it's hinges, squatting down and checking the bottom for catches or cords, before taking a step back again. Leveling his crossbow at the door, he nods to Crucian next to him. "If you would do the opening, Mister Armun, I believe the door itself is quite safe."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Readying an action to shoot at any seemingly hostile creature on the other side of the door that comes within 30 feet.
    Spot: (1d20+8)[14]
    Currently played characters:

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun grabs the handle to open the door, but as he does a needle stabs out of it into the palm of his hand, making him feel slightly weak and drowsy.

    Opening the door reveals a large, mostly rectangular room, stretching 45' away in front of you and 25' to the right. The door you are in stands in one corner of the room. In the exact opposite corner is a walled off section, approx 5'x5', with a door on both walls into it. Along the wall to the right there is an archway leading into another room that you can't make out from here

    Spoiler
    Show


    Door to the top left leads to where you are


    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+17)[30] vs 27
    Fort saves: (1d20+10)[12] vs 14, (1d20+10)[20] vs 14

    1 Temporary Constitution damage, no other effects
    Last edited by Joshua; 2012-09-01 at 06:17 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla curses as she witnesses Armund stabbed by the needle.

    "That looks nasty. If you can't fight it off, I'll neutralize it when I pray for spells later."

    She extends a hand before her and flexes her fingers, intoning words in a strange dark tongue. Her hand suddenly begins to jerk and twist spasmodically. With a sudden wrench, her wrist dislocates itself, and then with a sickening tearing sound the hand pulls itself free from her arm and drops onto the ground. The hand continues to writhe around, turning black and withered and spouting three other fingers from its ragged base, which narrow into legs. In seconds, it has swelled and changed into a three-foot wide spider.

    The spider scurries across the center of the room, towards the doors. It pauses as it passes the archway, peering through it to check it's clear.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Spider Hand. Passing the archway and looking through it before heading towards the door. Has Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun quickly pulls his hand back from the door handle. Worried, he curls and uncurls his fingers, making sure his hand still works. He feels his head dip forward slightly, as if he were falling asleep, but the feeling quickly abates,
    "Thanks, but I think I'll be fine by morning," he says to Merla, turning his head. He looks just in time to see her wrenching her own hand from her wrist. Briefly, he is rather shocked, but recovers his composure. He watches, fascinated, as the hand crawls out into the room.
    "That's some sort of dark sorcery if I've ever seen it," he says, but under his breath. After watching it for a moment more, he looks up and squares himself in the doorway, bringing his hammer to bear, "Well, this looks just too ordinary to be safe."

    Avatar by Ava

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Through the archway is another room, significantly larger than this first one. The bulk of the rook is about 35'x35', but with another adjoining section to the right hand side that adds another 15'x50' to the room. Straight ahead of the archway into this room is another archway leading further into the dungeon, and to the left is an iron door. In the wall straight ahead, but further to the left is another wooden door. The hand can detect some faint vibrations coming from the other side of the iron door.

    Like the previous room, this one is totally empty. You start to suspect that anything that may have been here to be found this close to the entrance has been sacked by previous adventurers before they fled or got killed.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Door at the top leads to where you are
    Last edited by Joshua; 2012-09-01 at 06:17 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla describes the layout she can see to the rest of the group. She finishes by murmuring "Something moving on the other side of the iron door through there. Not sure what."

    She has the spider move over to the pair of doors in the corner of their room, selects the higher one, and has the spider crawl up the face of it and wrap itself around the handle, opening it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The handle turns, but the door refuses to open.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun, never the sort to stand by and let other's do all the work, decides to walk out into the center of the first room, freeing the doorway for other to pass through. He keeps his hammer at the ready at all times, and keeps his eyes open for anything unusual. The stone walls of the room echo with the weight of his footsteps as he walks.

    Avatar by Ava

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The spider attaches a spray of net-light webbing to the handle and attempts to pull the door open, bracing it's legs against the side of the door. "Locked, I think." Merla says, in a distracted tone of voice. "Let me try the other." If the spider has no luck, it drops down and moves around to try the door on the other side of the corner.

    Failing that, Merla sends it scurrying through the archway and has it follow the wall on the right-hand side, moving down through the tunnel-like extension, all the way round towards the wooden door.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The map doesn't work for me, says I don't have permission to access it. The spider has has a strength of 7 if it's relevant, although it won't try to force the doors if they're locked or jammed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •