Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 159
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The first door that the spider was trying doesn't budge. The handle on the other door doesn't even turn, and it's obviously locked.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Try the maps again now, see if that makes a difference. If not I'll host them elsewhere

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "One's locked, the other's possibly jammed. I'll try the wooden one down past the archway."

    Merla sends her spider hand scurrying through the archway and has it follow the wall on the right-hand side, moving down through the tunnel-like extension, following it all the way round, past the second archway, towards the wooden door. She frowns in concentration as the spider moves, staring blankly ahead as if seeing something else instead of the room in front of her, and concentrating on it intently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    When the hand eventually reaches the doorway, it too refuses to open under what strain the hand can put on it.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus steps through the door and to the right, keeping an eye out through the archway for any hostile creatures, crossbow at the ready.
    "Terribly sorry, Mister Armun. I will be sure to check the doorknobs for such things in the future."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Covering Armun, readied action to shoot at any apparently hostile creatures coming from the room to the ... south through the arch? For ease of map reading, I'm going to assume up is north. I'm in the space just south of the doorway against the west wall of the first room.
    Currently played characters:

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun, seeing no immediate dangers, crosses the room to the pair of doors, and is about to grasp the handle and try it himself, but hesitates, not particularly wanting to risk another needle,
    "Zeus, would you mind?" Armun asked, indicating the door handle with a swing of his handle.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I didn't get the directions quite right. A "You Are Here" would be helpful on the map, if it's not any trouble. If it is, I'll just keep working on getting this one right.

    Avatar by Ava

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus moves up to Armun and nods, taking a look over the door the same as before, then standing up and checking the doorknob himself. If nothing happens and the knob turns, he steps back and lets Armun open the door. If the door seems locked, he'll attempt to unlock it.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Very similar to our normal system, but I'm checking the doorknob before Armun, so any trap that's on the knob like that should trigger on me if I missed it.
    Search: (1d20+3)[20]
    Disable Device: (1d20+5)[23]
    Open Lock: (1d20+4)[13]
    Currently played characters:

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    You can't find any traps on or around the door. The door is certainly locked, and you can't manage to unlock it with the tools available..

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun taps Zeus lightly on the shoulder, indicating he should move out of the way,
    I don't know what's through here, but if it's still locked that means other people haven't gotten to it yet," He says, and faces down the door with his massive hammer. After a moment of steady himself, he heaves the huge hunk of adamantine upward from his side, smashing into the door with all his strength.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a full round action to hit the door, since we're out of combat, which lets me avoid the attack roll (don't want to accidentally embarrass myself). Rolling for damage with a full +8 power attack:
    (3d6)[12] +9 (Strength); +1 (magic); +8 (PA); Ignore hardness <20
    EDIT: 30 damage against the door, total. By RAW, that will smash through a standard wooden door up to 3 inches thick.
    Last edited by dark.sun.druid; 2012-09-02 at 01:14 PM.

    Avatar by Ava

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The hammer strikes squarely into the door, and splinters straight through the wood panelling rending a huge hole in it.

    Behind the door is a small room, barely large enough for one person to stand inside. The walls of the room have what used to be some fine garments hanging from them, but now with the age are mostly just rags.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun uses his hammer to knock some loose boards out of the way, making the hole big enough to clamber through,
    "There're old clothes in there, if anyone wants a look. Nothing I'd wear, but there might be something else interesting in there," he says, stepping out of the way of the door and resting his hammer on his shoulder.

    Avatar by Ava

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "Someone should check them for magic. I could do after this spell."

    Merla sends her spider hand moving through the second archway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Through the second archway is a double-square room, with two 25'x25' overlapping squares making up the floor space. In the corner of the room opposite from the archway is a skeleton of a large lion-like creature, just stood there staring at the archway.

    The room has four wooden doors around it, leading in various directions.

    In the middle of the room there are some piles of bones, but without closer examination you can't tell how old or what they originally belonged to.

    Spoiler
    Show


    You are entering the archway top-left. The skeleton is bottom right.
    Better image can come later if necessary.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "We've got trouble." Merla says, in a voice that sounds like she relishes it. "Undead. A lion skeleton. Judging from the inanimate bones in the room, it likely has orders to kill intruders. I'll see if it will let me back away, but ready yourselves."

    Merla has the spider crawl backwards, ready to fling webbing at the lion and dart back around the corner, should it attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The lion-like skeleton just stays in the corner, not moving at all.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Note - Lion-like, not Lion

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla gets a better view of the creature as her spider backs up.

    "Wait... not a lion. It has the head of it, but it's much larger. Oh, dark-eyed lady don't take me, it's a chimera!" she murmurs excitedly. "I remember a picture of one from a textbook I studied when I was 12. It gave me nightmares. Matron made me read about it every day until I wasn't scared anymore. They're dangerous up close... teeth and horns and claws... there are reports of them ripping bison in half in seconds, out on the Plains of the Paynims. But it won't be very well armored without it's hide, and at least we don't have to worry about corrosive breath."

    Merla has her spider withdraw, all the way out to the corridor they first entered the dungeon in. She has it scurry down to the end of the passageway, peeking down both side corridors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus gives the clothes a quick look through to see if there's anything especially valuable or possibly enchanted.
    All of these are aged terribly, what we're looking for is if any of them are still in pristine condition. Just maybe- it can wait."
    He turns quickly from that search upon hearing Merla announce the presence of undead, getting back into a combat ready posture. Alright, so just stay away from it, and don't act like a bison. What is a bison, anyway?

    Spoiler
    Show

    Search: (1d20+3)[7]

    Will ready an action asap to attack the undead Merla described if it comes into this room.
    Last edited by bluefuzzyfish; 2012-09-03 at 08:45 AM.
    Currently played characters:

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The passageway down by the entrance has two small side junctions, but nothing apart from dust and dirt can be found in them.

    The clothing in the closet is all just tatters, and you can't find anything special amongst it.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla sends the spider down to the end of each corridor in sequence, checking for anything unusual, before summoning it immediately back to her arm and letting it fall again, sending it back down to the second archway.

    The spider climbs up along the archway, to the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling, and crawls around the room to the right, making a full circuit of it.

    If it arrives back at the archway without the skeleton having been provoked, it lowers itself to the ground on a line of webbing and tries the door to the left of the archway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    As the spider crawls around the corner past the skeleton, one of the heads reaches up and bites it in two, killing it instantly.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla abruptly hisses in surprise, clutching her arm; her hand abruptly reappears, shaping itself back onto the stump of her arm.

    "Bit my spider in half. Moves fast, for such a large beast. It's staying put, but it's definitely hostile. I don't think I can rebuke it, either... too large, too powerful, too much necromantic energy to control."

    Merla waits for a moment just in case the beast is now coming to get them, and if it does not, she then walks over to the pile of raggedy clothing. She murmurs a quick orison and traces a fingertip over her eyelids, casting Detect Magic and scrutinizing the pile.

    She idly wonders if she can make out what design the clothes were, whether they are old-fashioned or current, rich or poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    There's no indication that the clothing was magical at all. It's all very old, but was very fancy clothing for it's time. The damage all seems to be down to just age and decay more than anything.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge: (1d20+7)[25]
    Last edited by Joshua; 2012-09-03 at 11:57 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla shakes her head. "Not magic. Nice clothing for it's time, but that's all I can tell. I've scouted as much as I can; do we try one of the wooden doors, the iron door with the creature moving behind it, or do we pick a fight with that skeletal chimera?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus moves back toward the entrance slowly, keeping his crossbow leveled towards the archway. "There is also still the other side passage. If the chimera is still unaware of our presence, I should like to see what is behind us before engaging it."
    Currently played characters:

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun nods at Zeus,
    "Yes, I'd rather not have something sneak up on us from behind while we're fighting the skeleton. At least if we turn our backs on it, we can be pretty sure it won't ambush us."

    Avatar by Ava

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "The side passages in the entry corridor? They're just dead ends."

    Merla twirls her quarterstaff around and strikes a few defensive poses with it, the exercises almost an unconscious tic.

    "Though I do find that suspicious. You're right, let's go back and check."
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus moves to the entry door and stays there, keeping his watch on the archway. "I'll hang back here for a moment to make sure we aren't attacked from behind. Call me if you need me in the corridors."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Keeping that readied shot if something hostile comes through that archway... like a chimera skeleton.
    Map
    Currently played characters:

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun marches back to the entrance area of the dungeon, tightening one of the straps on his specially crafted breastplate, and turns down one of the dead-end side passages. He moves down it's length, searching for anything unusual as he goes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+1)[10]

    Avatar by Ava

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Both the cubbyholes off the passageway have old wooden frames around them, which have rotted beyond use. Otherwise there's nothing but dust and dirt.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Arumn, emerging from the side passage, says to the others,
    "I don't see anything particularly unusual down there, just a lot of rotted away wood. If anyone else want's to give it a look over before we move on, I'll wait."

    Avatar by Ava

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla smiles. "If you say there's nothing, that's good enough for me. Well, then. Our warforged seems jumpy about an attack from behind. Let's head back."

    Merla moves back to the room Zeus is minding. She shakes her head. "Looks like old storage cupboards or cloak rooms. Nothing left there."

    She murmurs a short prayer and touches Zeus on the forehead, imbuing him with a whisper of divine guidance.

    "That chimera is dangerous, but unintelligent undead only follow the urgings of whatever force animates them; it hasn't attacked us yet, so it probably has orders to guard that room and stay put. Whatever's moving behind the iron door might not. I think we'd do well to check that door first. Do you all agree?"

    She eyes Zeus' fine crossbow, frowning in thought. "Quarrels are poor weapons against skeletons. , anyway. A sling would serve you better."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Guidance on Zeus
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-09-08 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •