Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 159
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus nods his head in agreement, following Merla back into the room and moving down to look at the iron door. "Yes, perhaps we should. I... haven't really ever used a sling, and I'm ashamed to say I don't have one, or any bullets. It hadn't occurred to me that I might need one. This will have to do."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Map updated
    Currently played characters:

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla nods, following after Zeus and waiting for him to check the door. Her staff twirls in her hands, making a gentle whooshing sound against the silence of the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun follows Zeus and Merla until they stop in the corner of the room. He gives them a glance, and then walks across the room to the iron door. He tilts his head to the side to see if he can hear anything, and then speaks,
    "Well, Merla, do you want to come check and see if it's going to be possible for us to open this door with a handful of rocks?" Armun says, giving the door a gentle rap with the knuckles of his left hand.

    Avatar by Ava

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "Well... I suppose it is my turn."

    Merla offers a quick prayer to the Stern Lady for guidance, and then approaches the door. She looks around for a handle or anything to grab hold of it by.

    She pauses as Zeus leans over to check the door and steps back, allowing him to go to work before she opens it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Guidance on myself.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-09-09 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus waits for Armun to catch up before turning to the door with them. As Merla reaches for the handle, he speaks up. "Would you like me to double-check that for you first?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    If allowed to check the door:
    giving it a quick search over and disabling any traps he finds, listening for a few seconds to see if I can tell what is making the sounds/vibrations on the other side, and then testing the door knob myself, before stepping back and letting the others open it.

    Search: (1d20+4)[23] (using my guidance bonus on this)
    Disable Device: (1d20+5)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[13]
    Last edited by bluefuzzyfish; 2012-09-09 at 05:32 PM.
    Currently played characters:

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla nods, backing away gratefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus thoroughly examines the door and the area around it, and just as he is about to give up spots something on the floor. On closer examination you notice that the floor itself underneath the door is rigged such that it would collapse under substantial weight, such as when a group of adventurers go through the door. After more time tinkering with it, you believe you have damaged the triggering mechanism so it would be safe to continue.

    Listening at the door, you can hear noises coming from behind it but you can't make out what they could be, or any details about them.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "That... could've been very nasty. Thank you, Zeus. I'm glad we have you along."

    Merla steps around the disarmed trap and opens the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Opening the door reveals a comparably small room - only 25'x25' - with a recess containing a wooden door in the far left corner. The walls of this room hang with old decaying tapestries, too faded and damaged to make out the original designs now. In the far right corner is what can best be described as a makeshift altar, though the candles around it are long since burned out. Around the alter are stood two very obviously short and stocky undead creatures, with vaguely reptilian features. They pay no attention to you at all at present, and continue shambling around the makeshift altar.

    Spoiler
    Show


    You're entering from the door at the far left.
    Last edited by Joshua; 2012-09-13 at 03:08 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla stares at the altar, paying attention to the positioning and number of the candles and it's general design, trying to work out what deity or power it is an altar to.

    "They look fairly weak. Don't kill them; I might have enough power to bring them under the sway of my goddess."

    Without moving from where she is, she raises her fist, presenting the ring that bears her holy symbol. The grinning red skull emblazoned with fire seems to loom. "Uncreatures! Ugly scraps of rotted flesh clinging to bound souls! The Lady of Book and Bone liberates your wretched spirits and demands your fealty! Glimpse Her radiance, and tremble at Her terrible perfection! Bow before Her servant!" Merla commands, as she channels a surge of profane energy towards the shambling creatures.

    Knowledge: Religion check to identify altar (1d20+10)[13]
    Rebuke/Command Undead check (expending guidance): (1d20+4)[24]
    Up to total of [roll]2d6+5+1[/roll] hit dice within 60ft are affected.
    Undead up to 2 hit dice are Commanded, higher hit dice are Rebuked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The altar doesn't look familiar, and you can't make out enough details from here to recognise it.

    As you command the creatures, they respond by physically cowering and shying away, moving behind the altar as far into the corner as they can.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla is momentarily unsure whether the creatures are under her mental control or merely cowed by it, more powerful than she at first thought. She concentrates, attempting to send them a mental command.

    :: Point towards any traps or dangerous features of this room that you have witnessed. Obey any verbal commands given to you by me or any of the three people standing close to me from now on. Approach me. ::
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    They don't respond at all, and stay in the corner away from you.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla sighs in frustration.

    "They must be more biologically complex than normal kobolds, somehow. I can't command them, but they should be cowed for about the next minute. You can kill them without resistance, if you're quick about it." she tells the others.

    She stands aside so the party can storm the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun steps past Merla, and enters the room, moving quickly to get within fighting distance of one of the reptilian undead. He hefts his hammer at them, as if challenging them to approach.

    Spoiler
    Show
    That was a double move action, so I can't actually attack them yet.
    Rolling initiative. With any luck I'll get to go again right away: (1d20+3)[8]
    EDIT: Nope, probably not.
    Also, I updated the map.
    Last edited by dark.sun.druid; 2012-09-14 at 02:09 PM.

    Avatar by Ava

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus steps into the room, takes aim at one of the undead and fires. "Very well."

    Spoiler
    Show

    I'm not sure why initiative hasn't been called for yet, but this does seem the appropriate time to roll it. I'd guess because the undead aren't fighting back?

    Attack at Ur1: (1d20+10)[12]
    damage: (1d8+1)[7]
    initiative: (1d20+4)[9]
    Currently played characters:

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The shot just goes wide of one of the creatures and clatters off the wall behind it.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun takes a step forward, and swings his hammer in a downward arc toward the nearest undead creature. The heavy hammer makes a formidable whoosh sound as it pushes its way through the air.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not using Power Attack.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage: (3d6+10)[21]

    Avatar by Ava

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    The hammer strikes at the creature, hitting it across the head and chest and knocking it flying into the wall where it eventually clambers back up and continues to do its best to keep away from Merla.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla takes a moment to appraise her opponents before entering the room. She tries to recall the physiology of similar zombies she's seen guarding the temple back home.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Devotion- (1d20+9)[14]
    15 or below +1 attack and damage
    1625 +2
    2630 +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla strides forward between Zeus and the altar, drawing a knife from the side of her robe as she does so. It has a hande that appears to be made from carved horn, and a short, curved blade that glints wickedly in the flickering light of her ioun stone.

    She grips it with the blade pointed to the floor, and brings it slashing down across the body of the zombie nearest her.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[9] to hit
    (1d4+3)[7] damage if hit
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    After a while, the whole time the creatures just cowering in the corner, the rain of blows dispatches them back to whatever they consider an afterlife.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Merla sheathes her daggers, and picks up her quarterstaff. She's smiling as she prods one of the bodies with it.

    "That was exhilarating. You two move fast and hit hard."

    She kneels down to search the bodies, leaving the rest of the group to inspect the strange altar or investigate another door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    There are two greatclubs dropped to the floor by the creatures, but otherwise you find nothing of note on the bodies.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun steps around the fresh corpses, commenting,
    "That was not a particularly enthralling battle. It was like tenderizing a bag of meat; except the meat was old and rotting."

    Spoiler
    Show
    So, I'm going to pretend I helped bash in those undead. It was a busy week for me. My schedule basically consisted of waking up, going to school, doing homework, and going to sleep. Sorry. From now on I'll try to be more active.

    Avatar by Ava

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Mera smiles at Armun. "Hah! Well, the chimera will likely provide more of a challenge. I probably wouldn't be able to subdue it like I did these creatures and I won't waste my time or energies trying."

    Merla flexes, looking over at her companions. "So which door will you check next, Zeus? Or should we battle the skeleton in the other room, immediately? It's too big for that archway. If you shoot at it to gain it's ire, me and Armun can hit it as it squeezes through to get us."

    Merla seems ready to follow the group wherever. If Zeus tries to open a door, Merla will move to the side of it. If they head towards the chimera, Merla will rest a hand on Armun's shell and intone a plea for Wee Jas to impart to him "the strength of Lady Brienne the Loyal" before battle is joined.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If we go that route, Bull's Strength on Armun before battle is joined, +4 Strength for 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus nods in agreement, restocking his crossbow bolts to be ready for the upcoming battle. "I feel that we should confront the chimera and get it out of the way before we explore further. Your plan of attack sounds bold and spicy, let us implement it. I suggest that Mr. Armun stand in front, in case the skeleton proves to be faster than expected."

    He walks out into the previous room, pointing out a position. "I should be able to get a decent projectile trajectory from there. Mr. Armun, if you would stand there... and Miss Merla may wish to be behind you as well..." It may not have been proper to make that suggestion in the third person...

    Spoiler
    Show

    I marked Zeus' suggestions as tentative positions on the Map, if you want to move yourself to that spot feel free to just remove the asterisk and your old position.
    Last edited by bluefuzzyfish; 2012-09-22 at 04:26 PM.
    Currently played characters:

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    "It could still grab Armun through the archway, from there. We want it to have to come through to get at us. Then we can hit it while it's squeezing through."

    Merla casts her spell upon Armun and moves to the side of the door. She moistens her lips, shifting her grip on her quarterstaff in anticipation.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to take a 5-foot step to the right and attack the chimera as soon as it starts squeezing through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dark.sun.druid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sigil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Armun, on Merla's advice, takes a step back, and swings his hammer up, ready to swing. The effects of Merla's spell were powerful, more than compensating for the poison needle in the door earlier. His hammer felt lighter than usual in his hands - which was slightly concerning, but he knew it was because he was stronger, not because there was anything wrong with his hammer.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, forgot to officially say that I was readying an attack action, but it should have been rather clear from my post, I think.
    Last edited by dark.sun.druid; 2012-09-24 at 12:57 PM.

    Avatar by Ava

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC2]

    Zeus sights down his crossbow at the chimera. "... Perhaps better from here..." he mutters to himself, taking a step back and sighting again. "Better."

    He waits until his companions are ready, taking careful aim through the archway at his target. And fires.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Going to take a full attack once my party members have readied their actions.
    Attack 1: (1d20+10)[15] Damage: (1d8+1)[7]
    Attack 2: (1d20+10)[12] Damage: (1d8+1)[5]
    Currently played characters:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •