New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: General Crowdfunding Thread, Mark I

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerersaprntc View Post
    Hi Everyone - Now Live and Launched, Meanders 2: Brave New Worlds is my newest Kickstarter offering over 400+ new high-detail maps for a variety of RPGs. This is a follow-up campaign to the successful first one - pledge just $10 and get all 60 gaming maps from the original campaign then choose extras as required. Dozens of themes, including Sci-fi, Fantasy, Urban, Zombie, Atlantis, Dwarven and much much more. + Meanders are designed to fit with one another so you can make gigantic landscapes and the paths will all line up. Each map measures 27x18" and is VTT-Ready or High Resolution OR you can get professionally printed boards for $40 AUD ea. Take a look :)

[Sorry I can't post the link, I'm too new to the forum - just search "Meanders 2" on Kickstarter, thanks :) ]
    I thought this worth looking at so here is the link.

The suggestion for posting links when not a permitted user is to post it as ht tps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-synchable-terrain-400-new-designs (with a break in the http) so that it is easy for other people to mend.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello dear PRG fans,

so we've got an IndieGoGo project to share,
    may I just proceed and create a new thread about it?

Tnx.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by otsukameko View Post
    Hello dear PRG fans,

so we've got an IndieGoGo project to share,
    may I just proceed and create a new thread about it?

Tnx.
    Hi otsukameko,

You don't need to create a new thread. That's what this thread is for! Go ahead and post as long as it aligns with what this site is about, and good luck on your endeavor!
    Last edited by QT Games; 2017-02-27 at 02:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Pixie in the Playground

Default MapForge battlemap creation software

Hi folks. I am creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both print-resolution maps and lower-resolution maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. It's called MapForge, and it will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

MapForge should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions (in any genre), but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

I am currently running a Kickstarter campaign to fund the program's development. The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, probably $30 or so, but it's just $27 during the Kickstarter campaign. And to help offset the cost even more, there will be at least 9 free content Add-Ons for it, covering various genres. MapForge will also offer a free level of use, so having a license won't be required to make maps with it.

Version 1.0 of MapForge should be ready to go on sale in July 2017. Shortly after that, MapForge will also have the ability to generate random "dungeon" layouts via Donjon.

I hope you will all take a minute to check out the project, play around with the downloadable prototype, and if you like what you see, tell your GM friends about it.

Thanks!

--Hernan (aka Heruca)

Edit:
    New Stretch Goals added, by backer request.

MapForge is now aiming for the record of highest funded map-making software project on Kickstarter (currently in 3rd place). But with only 3 days remaining, it's going to be a challenge. Click here for more info.

PS: The campaign funded on day 1, and is now at 627% of the funding goal, with 1434 backers.
    Last edited by heruca; 2017-03-19 at 09:28 AM. Reason: New Stretch Goals announced
    MapForge is easy-to-use battlemap creation software for Windows and Mac OS X.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey! My project, Kaigaku: The Ruined Kingdom, is a 7-day challenge Kickstarter campaign, available here. It's an adventure for the Kaigaku RPG that's compatible with both WhiteBox and the Black Hack. Picture Legends of the Colossus meets The Great Wall (minus Matt Damon) and you've got the right idea. The project is nearly at its funding goal. If you pledge at 25 dollars you get the adventure when it comes out, plus the core book immediately after the campaign concludes. Stretch goals will fund up to two more books. Let's make Kaigaku the best samurai RPG that it can be!
    Kaigaku RPG: An OSR samurai retroclone, now on Kickstarter!

6. - Top - End - #396
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Meanders 2 Relaunched (750% funded / Hitting Stretch Goals)

Hi Guys, following a decision to cancel, re-work and relaunch the Meanders 2 campaign it is now up and live again. Thankfully KS approved the new campaign in record time - and it is jam-packed with loads of extras for anyone that returns to back or backed Meanders 1. You can get over 100+ high quality for $25 with new stretch goals adding 8 additional free maps, with 4 days to go.

kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-2-new-terrain-maps-for-rpg

Hopefully see you guys there :)

Kind Regards,
    Kris

7. - Top - End - #397
    Pixie in the Playground

The MapForge Kickstarter campaign is down to the last 8 hours!

Closing in on 1800 backers. All Stretch Goals unlocked (again!).

MapForge is now officially the highest-funded mapping software project on Kickstarter, by a decent margin.

Read this Update if you've been on the fence. It might just change your mind.

Always try to end on a high note, they say. :)
    MapForge is easy-to-use battlemap creation software for Windows and Mac OS X.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hi folks,

The Devil's Run RPG Kickstarter is now LIVE!

Based on the popular Devil's Run post-apocalyptic board game of vehicular carnage, the RPG plans to really open up the setting.

You can download our free introductory Nitro Pack on Drivethru RPG

Check us out and show your support!

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: General Crowdfunding Thread, Mark I

For those who haven't been paying attention to your hypernet feeds, there's an RPG coming out set in the world of the long-running, hilarious, and often sharp-witted webcomic Shlock Mercenary -- the Planet Mercenary RPG.

The Kickstarter for the core project ran some time ago, but they've got a new project that went live today...

the Deluxe RPG "Handbrain" Screen.

Spoiler: Details
    Show

About this project

Do you run role-playing games?

If you're a Game Chief (or game master, or dungeon master), you probably already have some sort of screen that lets you keep secrets from your players. You probably have several. You do not, however, have anything like this.

These Game Chief screens are designed for half-sheets of 8.5x11" or A4 paper, so you can take whatever information you need and print it or even hand-write it, then prop it up in front of you. You can also pick up a screen and hand it to a player at the table, as if to say "here is the contract you've acquired." Or you can flip it around and use it as a dry-erase tablet.

The screens are made of sturdy ABS plastic. If you're determined to break one, you can, but the player who clumsily (or angrily) knocks one off the table is going to be very relieved (or disappointed) when the screen bounces and clatters and takes zero falling damage.

Each screen can hold up to six sheets of 8.5x11 paper folded in half. The upper left corner has a pin dock suitable for a hypernet node pin (yellow map pin), and the reverse side of the screen functions as a dry-erase board. The screen it can be mounted with either the dry-erase or drop-in side facing you, and it can be lifted from its "foot" and reversed with one hand.
    With the feet removed, a set of three screens packs flat for easy transportation and storage.

These were designed to stand at an easy-to read angle, while still serving their primary function as a privacy screen that hides your die rolls from players. They're also balanced so they won't tip over—not forward, not backward, nor to either side—even when fully loaded.

If you missed the original campaign, you can add on the Planet Mercenary RPG core book in your pledge for this item.

Even if you're not interested in the Planet Mercenary RPG itself (IMO, you should be), these screens will be great gaming accessories for any tabletop RPG, even more so for those modern-era or science-fiction campaigns.

I'm guessing that they'll make the stretch goals, too. The comic is popular, the original campaign blew away its goals, and they're already halfway to the main goal after less than a day.

(Hope I get this right, read the rules post up top and I think I'm OK... search function didn't turn up any related terms in this thread. Will edit if needed.)
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-05-15 at 04:09 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    For those who haven't been paying attention to your hypernet feeds, there's an RPG coming out set in the world of the long-running, hilarious, and often sharp-witted webcomic Shlock Mercenary -- the Planet Mercenary RPG.

The Kickstarter for the core project ran some time ago, but they've got a new project that went live today...

Show

About this project

If you're a Game Chief (or game master, or dungeon master), you probably already have some sort of screen that lets you keep secrets from your players. You probably have several. You do not, however, have anything like this.

These Game Chief screens are designed for half-sheets of 8.5x11" or A4 paper, so you can take whatever information you need and print it or even hand-write it, then prop it up in front of you. You can also pick up a screen and hand it to a player at the table, as if to say "here is the contract you've acquired." Or you can flip it around and use it as a dry-erase tablet.

The screens are made of sturdy ABS plastic. If you're determined to break one, you can, but the player who clumsily (or angrily) knocks one off the table is going to be very relieved (or disappointed) when the screen bounces and clatters and takes zero falling damage.

Each screen can hold up to six sheets of 8.5x11 paper folded in half. The upper left corner has a pin dock suitable for a hypernet node pin (yellow map pin), and the reverse side of the screen functions as a dry-erase board. The screen it can be mounted with either the dry-erase or drop-in side facing you, and it can be lifted from its "foot" and reversed with one hand.
    With the feet removed, a set of three screens packs flat for easy transportation and storage.

These were designed to stand at an easy-to read angle, while still serving their primary function as a privacy screen that hides your die rolls from players. They're also balanced so they won't tip over—not forward, not backward, nor to either side—even when fully loaded.

If you missed the original campaign, you can add on the Planet Mercenary RPG core book in your pledge for this item.

Even if you're not interested in the Planet Mercenary RPG itself (IMO, you should be), these screens will be great gaming accessories for any tabletop RPG, even more so for those modern-era or science-fiction campaigns.

I'm guessing that they'll make the stretch goals, too. The comic is popular, the original campaign blew away its goals, and they're already halfway to the main goal after less than a day.

(Hope I get this right, read the rules post up top and I think I'm OK... search function didn't turn up any related terms in this thread. Will edit if needed.)

UPDATE -- they've hit the base goal and the first stretch goal. So, the Handbrains are sure to be made, and we're getting full art and layout in the adventure module PDF that's an add-on.

If they make the next goal, the PDF will be turned into an actual, physical book.

EDIT: Two items.

First, the Kickstarter campaign for ends during the day on Friday, so you still have a few more days. The next stretch goal for the physical book version of the adventure PDF is within reach. (If you can't tell, I really want the book version to happen.)

Second, the PDF version of the Planet Mercenary RPG is slated to start selling on RPG Drive Thru this week.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-05-30 at 11:58 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Show

About this project

One last update -- if you missed this, you have about 15 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Patreon

Hello all, I just wanted to let everyone know I've shifted the focus of my Patreon from a webcomic to OSR gaming and paper mini content. So far the minis have been orcs on boars, various cultists, halflings riding dogs, that sort of thing, but patrons also gained access to the release of the sci fi themed Extrastellar paper minis last month. This month (June) the theme is "girl power" in a nod to the Wonder Woman movie so there will be female monsters such as orcs, kobolds, gnolls and a sphinx.
    Patronage allows access to an archive of earlier releases.

https://www.patreon.com/okumarts

13. - Top - End - #403
    Barbarian in the Playground

Set in the mythic bronze age, the RPG The Lost Age aims to evoke stories akin to those of Olympian heroes like Perseus and Greek epics like The Odyssey.

Developed by an old gaming buddy of mine, I've helped him playtest this game over the years and we're now ready to bring it to market! The RPG uses a special system developed specifically to mesh well with the bronze-age setting; this isn't a simple reskin of an existing system, it was built from the ground-up to create dynamic and interesting combat. The system is actually be favorite part of the game; there's a risk-reward mechanic called Second Wind where you can push yourself to accomplish great feats of herosim, but if you overextend a crafty enemy can take advantage of that and deal you a crippling blow. If that sounds at all interesting you should check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-lost-age-rpg

14. - Top - End - #404
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hello, I'd like to introduce everyone to the game that I designed, Overkill. It's a quick to play roleplaying game designed to make you feel like an action movie star. Instead of regular dice it uses playing cards, with rolls substituted for sleights similar to a Blackjack hand. If you're interested you can download the current version of the game here. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to look at my kickstarter or look at the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...leplaying-game
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

First of all, a couple of entertaining comics from these guys:

Thieves Can't
    Ramen Empire

In particular, Thieves Can't is a comic set within a game of D&D... one of its taglines is "Roll A Saving Throw Versus Meta".

The first story arc of Thieves Can't is the subject of a Kickstarter campaign, to be turned into a print comic, including some extra features not seen in the web version. Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/thievescant
    https://www.reddit.com/r/thievescant/

Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-07-11 at 11:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

One quick update -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...p-gami/updates -- they made their funding goal, but you still have 4 days to jump in and get your preorder.

Congrats to Bart and Zach.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

d20 Three Days Remaining in Dark Eras 2! [Kickstarter]

Three days remain in the Dark Eras 2 Kickstarter! Currently, we are $2234 from the next stretch goal to add another era to the book. There is also one open pledge remaining at $750 that would allow you to be privy to the development of the book, if anyone is interested. The more backers there are, the sweeter the deal is for everybody.

Current Eras:
    • Vampire/Demon French Revolution
    • Werewolf/Geist WWI Western Front
    • Mage/Deviant Scientific Revolution
    • Promethean/Changeling Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
    • Hunter/Mummy Qing China
    • Vampire/Beast Islamic Golden Age
    • Mage/Geist Golden Age of Piracy
    • Roman Arthurian Britannia

The current poll is between Second Intermediate Period Egypt, Greco-Persian Wars, and Steamboat Mississippi. There are also 5 expansion pledges (one is mine) that add an extra gameline to an era, 2 ressurection pledges that bring back options that didn't get voted in, and one era Creator that gets to add their own original idea to try book. All in all, there is a to get out of a $20 PDF. Likewise, the $50 hardcopy is going to be much cheaper than getting a print-on-demand copy later.

ALSO, if this sounds interesting but you've never played Chronicle of Darkness before, the 2e corebooks are on sale as stretch goals for $10, which is a steal of a deal. Each is self contained, all you need to play is that rulebook.

Check it out here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ss-dark-eras-2
    Last edited by Benjuri; 2017-08-02 at 08:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408

HalflingRangerGuy

The new Reaper Bones kickstarter just dropped a few days ago already around 800k when i last checked.

Last year the core set ended up with 158 Minis for 100 bucks I was pretty happy as it fleshed out my encounters abit. Two days into this one and they are already up to 80 minis + a few large set pieces that they have put into the core set.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...epic-adventure

give it a peek if you are a Dm looking for some new plastic to throw at your party

19. - Top - End - #409

Chimera

Dark Eras 2 Kickstarter is about to enter its final 24 hours! Currently, we are $2881 from the next stretch goal. Options for this goal are:

- Empire of Mali (1360-1390)
    - Golden Age of Science Fiction (1938-1946)
    - Early Ireland (750-850)

There is still a $750 pledge open that lets you be part of the behind the scenes development of the book.

Current era include:
    - Vampire/Demon French Revolution
    - Werewolf/Geist WWI Western Front
    - Mage/Deviant Scientific Revolution
    - Promethean/Changeling Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
    - Hunter/Mummy Qing China
    - Vampire/Beast Islamic Golden Age
    - Mage/Geist Golden Age of Piracy
    - Roman Arthurian Britannia
    - Second Intermediate Period Egypt

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ss-dark-eras-2

20. - Top - End - #410
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

ha i did my game without any funding at all! just mooched off my parents for four years. actually it's not done yet ... just got to finish coding it, will get there. Unity is a horrible slattern (really just the animation system, i hate it) but she's the best i got.

cool to look at the projects people worked on though. good luck all!
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

21. - Top - End - #411
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A print and play tile set packed with all the rooms and corridors you need for your next tabletop adventure. The set includes a comprehensive selection of tiles so you can build your dungeons as big or small as you want them to be.

Here's some pics to wet your appetite:

Large 2.5D dungeon.

Build the dungeons that you want to play.

Sprawling mega dungeon with no foam core backing.

Here's what's included so far:

So many tiles!

Thats:

18 Unique Rooms

Over 40 Colour Variant Rooms

4 Multi Part Room Sections

Over 50 Corridor Sections

Single and Double Wide Doors

*Plus any and stretch goals or additions gained over the course of the campaign.

Rewards

And the best bit, besides supporting a fellow tabletop gamer, is that the pledge is only $6 for everything! No confusing tiers or sneaky "add-ons", just one pledge to rule them all. The rewards will come in two flavours: PDF and DOCX. PDF for those that just want to hit print and start building and DOCX for those that want to customize there print. The DOCX files will allow backers to make the most of their ink and paper, by deleting the tiles they don't want and duplicating the
    ones they do want. The DOCX format also allows you to tweak the layout so every page is packed with tiles.

Stretch Goals

For every $100 over the funding goal we'll be adding additional multi-part rooms. Our next two stretch goals at $250 and $500, which will add gooey slime tiles and flooded tiles respectively.

Campaign Start and end dates

We launched on 9/14/17 and the closing date is 10/13/17.

Who is Red Leaf Games?
    Red Leaf Games is small independent games company with big ideas. This is our first kickstarter, and if all goes well we hope to make it the first of many. We've already hit our funding goal for the Forgotten Tomb but we still need your help, the community's help. The success of a kickstarters all depends on word of mouth, and it's people like us and our community that have made so many games and game accessories a reality by a quick post here or a tweet there. So swing on by, show some support and spread the word.

Last edited by Red Leaf Games; 2017-09-15 at 05:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm sharing a Kickstarter that I'm backing called Epic Digital Tabletop Art Core Set.
    I love digital tabletops.

Like most things worth doing this started as a passion project. For years I wanted to make art that did our tabletop rpg sessions justice.

Maps and player icons hand drawn in a consistent isometric style that you can use to create your own adventures in digital tabletop software such as Roll20. Core set includes huge maps, encounter areas, interior and exterior areas, player icons, monster icons, loot, traps, and spell effects.

You can pledge just for maps or pledge to get the art assets separate so you can make your own stuff.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

smile Orbis Mundi 2 - A Guide to REAL Medieval Life Kickstarter

Orbis Mundi 2 is an updated version of Orbis Mundi: An Annotated Guide to Aspects of the Medieval World which was originally launched in 2006 and is currently a Popular Silver Pick on RPGNow and DriveThruRPG.

Orbis Mundi 2 expands on and adds to the material covered and will consist of two separate Books - A Guide to real Medieval Life, which is largely complete and runs to ~450 pages, and The Marketplace, which is still being written, but is expected to run to at least ~96 pages of annotated Price Lists and some generic rules for all types of equipment likely to be found in a historical-ish Medieval world ... OM1 was 112 pages, of which ~60 comprised the annotated price lists.

Book 1 is especially aimed at GMs and Players who have become aware that the version of 'medieval' or 'feudal' western societies presented in virtually all Fantasy RPGs is based more on Hollywood movies and outdated information from the equivalent of glossy coffee-table 'text' books than on what it was actually like and who would like to at least know what the reality was ... even if they may not want to include all of it in their campaigns.

OM2 is intended to provide the nitty-gritty details a GM can drop into their campaign world to make it more 'real' for their players … using as much or as little of what is provided as they see fit.

The eight main Chapters are –

City & Country, which is divided into four subsections, Cities & Civics (Town Organisation, Markets, The Cityscape, Civic Militia and Garrisons, Guilds & Guild Organisation); Village & Villein (Types of Manors, Manorial Officials, The Manorscape); Res Rustica aka 'Agriculture' (The Farmer's Year, Farming, Stock Raising, Food & Famine) and Highways & Byways (The Natural Dimension [Forests, Wasteland, Wildlife], The Human Dimension [Demographics; Highways, Roads & Bridges; Ports, Sea & River Travel]) … ~75 pages.

As it says, this Chapter covers all aspects of City and Rural living and organisation (but not the Feudal System, nor a detailed look at Law and Justice, both of which are covered in the next Chapter, Kingdoms & Crowns), the places, people and officials you'll find in these locales, the crops that were grown, how and where they were cultivated and stored, and the ubiquity of famine (fortunately, rarely in the same place every year) as well as the 'wilder' side of things, the wildlife that you'll find away from the settled areas (and what wildlife you won't find), the demographics of a medieval society (life expectancy, morbidity and mortality etc.) and the important topic of Travel, covering the nature of roads and highways and land transport, Ports and Sea Transport in general terms (more information on each of those key areas can be found in Ars Mechanica: Mercaturia).

Kingdoms & Crowns, which is divided into three subsections, Lords & Vassals (Feudalism, English Feudalism, French Feudalism, Other Feudalisms); Law & Justice (Law & Justice in England [Before the Norman Conquest, After the Norman Conquest], Law & Justice in Europe [Civil vs Customary Law]); and Bullion & Budgets (Money & Coinage [England, France, The Germanies, Spain; Minting, Moneychanging], Feudal Dues and Taxes) … ~60 pages.

This chapter covers the Feudal System as it worked in practise, both in England and France, where, though there were significant similarities, there were also practical and legal differences originating from their different historical heritages, as well as, in broad strokes, how it operated in the rest of Europe … where, unsurprisingly, it worked quite differently to the Anglo-French model that is the only one normally presented in RPGs.

Also covered is Law and (the enforcement) Justice as it existed in the various areas – again, looking at the differences between the English Common Law and French-Iberian-Italian Civil Law systems as well as, again in broad strokes, the systems that existed in other parts of Europe and, especially, at the changes which occurred over the period covered by the book, changes that are often poorly modelled, anachronistically presented, or roundly ignored in many RPGs.

Finally, money and financial matters are covered in a degree of detail – suffice it to say that, in the real medieval period, 1/10th pound Gold Coins did not exist, pretty much nobody used a decimal system for their coinage and there were no coins other than gold or silver ones (NO. No Copper, Bronze, Tin, Iron. No Platinum. No Electrum. Gold and Silver only … though both could be debased, sometimes so badly as to have little gold or silver in them other than a thin wash over a base metal blank).

Also, the differences between the coinages and coin weights between the major European states/ethnic areas is also covered – and, while most states adhered to something like the old Late Roman 1 Shilling = 12 pence, 20 Shillings = 1 Pound system, the weight of the 'pound' of precious metal on which the coins were based varied by locality! Note that Gold and Silver, whether in coinage or bullion, was much less common than most RPGs would indicate – and wages and prices were far lower than are suggested in those self-same games.

De Civitate Dei ('The City of God'), which is divided into five subsections, the Roman Catholic Church (Regular & Secular Clergy; Land, the Church and the State; A Typical Cathedral; A Typical Monastery; Celibacy; The Liturgical Year; Heretics and Heresies), the Orthodox Church (Orthodox Churches, Hierarchy, Liturgical Year, Typical Orthodox Churches, Heresies); Judaism (Organisation, Generic Synagogues, Liturgical Year, Pre-modern Anti-Semitism, Restrictions & Discrimination); Islam (What is Islam?; Mohammed &The Beginnings, The Caliphs, The Shia-Sunni split, Organisation, Sects and Heresies, A Typical Mosque, Islam & The People of The Book) and Marginalised or Extinct (Gnosticism, Zoroastrianism, Paganism) … ~40 pages.

Even if your campaign world doesn't have the same world religions that the medieval Mediterranean world did, there's a lot of information to mine here – a lot that can be transferred whole cloth to whatever religions do exist. The idea that the year is broken up into distinct liturgical periods with a set and repeating pattern of ceremonial observances over the course of the week and the year is pretty useful, and easily adapted to pretty much any sort of organised religion – or the differentiation between Clerics and Monks, Major and Minor Orders and so on. The attitudes that existed between the historical religions – “Brotherly Love and No Quarter!” – is also an interesting pattern to follow.

De Re Militari ('On Military Matters'), which is divided into four subsections, De Re Militari (Military Technology, Before the 10th Century, The 10th-13th Centuries, The 14th Century; Military Organisation by region and ethnicity, Chivalry, Code of Chivalry, Cost of raising Troops), Stratagemata ('Stratagems') (The Sinews of War, The Cost of War, Logistics; Medieval Laws of War, The Peace of God, 'Just War'; On Crusade, Crusader States, Costs of a Crusade, The Hospitallers, The Templars), Arma Virumque Cano ('Of Arms and the Man I Sing') (The 10th Century, the 11th-14th Centuries; Armour and Weapons) and Castle & Keep (Castle Development, Early [9th-10th Centuries], Standard [11th-14th Centuries], Parts of a Castle; Other Fortifications; Siege! [Bypass, Surprise, Escalade or Invest, Besiege], Occupy or Destroy?, Siege Engines & Techniques, Gunpowder Weapons) … ~84 pages.

This is a particularly interesting chapter for gamers – on both the level of Tactical and Individual armour and weapons, their nature and use, as well as on the higher Operational and Strategic levels. There are fairly extensive notes on the 'typical' tactical organisation of most feudal forces, and an examination of how fragile they were … even the Knights, who were, at least to begin with, pretty much useless in battles (as opposed to individual combat) as often as not, as well as background on the local-ethnic-national organisation of some of the major forces players might encounter (or belong to … or even command!).

There is also coverage of the logistical side of warfare and the Crusades – where logistics was very important – and the horrendous cost of running a war on the pitiful levels of income available even to major rulers. No possibility of making war support war here. Also included is a look at Castles, Castle Building and Sieges and siege operations … which are also horrendously expensive.

Finally, there is a detailed examination of the types of armour available, and how that availability changed over time, as well as the types and variety of weapons … which also changed over time. These changes were a constant dance between improved weapons creating a need for improved armour and improved armour creating a need for improved weapons … pretty much like the modern world, in fact.

What you won't find is a huge variety of polearms, as almost all of the types included in RPGs date to after the increasing use of man portable gunpowder weapons on the battlefield … which is way past the cut-off date for OM2.

Ars Mechanica ('The Mechanical Arts'), which is divided into five subsections, Architectura ('Architecture') (Stone & Brick Buildings, Wooden Buildings, Building Materials, Building Components), Coquinaria ('Cooking') (The Medieval Kitchen, Equipment-Staff-Layout; Cooking Methods; Foodstuffs & Recipes; Food Service & Etiquette), Mercaturia ('Trade') (Land Transport; Water Transport, Shipbuilding Technology, Medieval Navigation; Commercial Practise, Banking, Maritime Law), Metallaria ('Metals') (Ferrous Metals, Cold Iron, Steel; Non-Ferrous Metals, Copper-Tin-Bronze-Brass, Gold-Silver-Lead, Casting; Mining) and Vestiaria ('Tailoring') (Materials, Sources of Fibre, Other Materials; Weaving, Knitting, Dyeing, Putting Out System; Garments & Footwear; Cleaning & Maintenance) … ~73 pages.

This chapter covers those things the medievals classed as 'mechanical arts' … what we moderns would call a mix of crafts, technology and commerce. If you want to know how things were built or made, what materials were used and how they were put together in the styles that changed over the four centuries covered, this is the chapter you'll want to have a look at.

It makes it clear that this is not a world of mass production – it is based on low productivity labour, hand tools and handcraft level production. Things are made to order, almost as 'one offs' … you don't walk into a shop and buy more than a very limited range of items 'off the shelf', you order it from the shop owner, who then makes it for you over the next days or weeks. Even months.

And you'll find out why things are so slow to make.

Surprisingly, 'Ars Mechanica' includes things related to these areas of interest – so Cooking covers table manners as well recipes, and Trade covers Navigation as well as Maritime Law.

Ars Scholastica ('The Scholastic Arts'), which is divided into two subsections, Ars Scholastica (Medieval Schooling, Primary Schooling, Grammar Schools, Medieval Reading & Writing; Universities, The Seven Liberal Arts, The Trivium, The Quadrivium, Philosophy & Science) and Practical Science (Alchemy, Medicine, Herbal Remedies, Surgeons & Physicians, Death by Surgery) … ~30 pages.

Medieval people could spend years gaining an education – a small percentage of the population anyway. Just like today – but the content of that education was very different. Much of it was completely useless and totally wrong, in fact … but you'll get an idea of the sort of education that might be involved with a Mage's or a Priestly Collegium course. And what was involved with a medieval medical education … which is pretty scary, at least in part.

Daily Life, which is divided into two subsections, Daily Life (People, Attitudes & Behaviour, Hygiene, Leisure [Games, Hunting, Jousting & Tournaments, Plays & Drama, Song & Dance, Sports]; Names [Anglo-Saxon, Norman-French, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Spanish]; Sleep & Dreams) and The World (Calendars & Chronology, Julian Calendar, East Roman Calendar, Islamic Calendars; The Measure of All Things, Area, Distance/Length, Weight, Volume; Heraldry, History of, Basic Design, Continental Variations, Livery) … ~54 pages.

This chapter covers miscellanea – those things that are of interest either on a personal or campaign level but which don't fall into any of the other main Chapter categories.

Myths & Medievalism, which is divided into two subsections, Myths & Medievalism (Fantasy States, Static or Universal Empires, Feudal Snakepits, Cities – Oligarchies or Princedoms; Stated Limitations, Transport & Communications, The Cutting Edge [Technology]; Social Stasis; Costs & Prices) and Magic & Medievalism (Magitech … In Warfare, In Agriculture, In Health, In Industry) … ~16 pages.

The final chapter covers a variety of issues that are of possible interest to a Game Master who is considering the design of a new, or existing, campaign world – dealing with some of the dubious excuses given by existing (commercial) campaign designers for the existence of what should be mutually exclusive anachronisms and/or baseless 'explanations' as to why, supposedly, there is no advanced technology, or no technological advances in their world.

Use it or ignore it as you will.

A sampler of 32 semi-random pages from OM2 is available as a download from RPGNow ....

Currently the campaign is 200% funded and the first two Stretch Goals (A Medieval Village and A Medieval Manor) have been reached ... and the third (A Medieval Castle) is within sight!

Phil McGregor
    PGD (Phalanx Games Design)

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Update

9 days to go
    Over 1000 backers
    Closing in on the final stretch goal
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-10-04 at 11:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Empyrea

Frank Mentzer's game world.

The Kickstarter has landed - with support for 10 (yes 10) different game systems!
    (Sadly 3E is not listed, but Pathfinder is.)

Kickstarter: here
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2017-10-04 at 12:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thumbs up Re: General Crowdfunding Thread, Mark I

My small, new game development company, SagaTales, launched its first Kickstarter for its premiere game Machina Dark.

Machina Dark is a RPG with an alternate timeline, classless systems where the world has remained at war since 1914, experiments have created mutants that present deadly hazards, obscure mythical monsters have resurfaced through the conflicts, and corporations have begun buying control of nations. The culture takes elements of steampunk and dieselpunk to create a harsh world where small squads of mercs are just trying to make a buck.

You can also find us at on facebook, twitter, and tumblr.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For those who are interested into completing the dice chain of their favorite RPG, here a is a new Kickstarter with dice from me and two other designers:
    D20 / D30 RPG & DCC Dice Chain Sets -New D17, D19, D26 & D28
    As it is already funded, these two dice chains are now available : all dice from D3 to D20 and all even dice from D4 to D30.
    Stretch goals should add more dice and more colors.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #419
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Orbis Mundi 2 - A Guide to REAL Medieval Life Kickstarter

$12649, 334 Backers ... 47 hours to go!

Almost the last chance to back!

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Just over 48 hours to go.

Pledging now gets a lot more bang for your buck than buying it later.