Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail II: Second Generation Thread Slayers

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Minor Question, just because I've not been paying attention:

Spoiler
    Show
    Who'se the princess in the last page of the new chapter saying to start the project that would end the world? Or is this a new charater alert?
    I think its a new character. I don't believe we have been introduced to any of the royal family of the kingdom yet have we?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Minor Question, just because I've not been paying attention:

Spoiler
    Show
    Who'se the princess in the last page of the new chapter saying to start the project that would end the world? Or is this a new charater alert?
    Spoiler
    Show
    AFAIK a new character
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

new chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    explaining the princess (slightly) *check*
    explaining the First *check*
    explaining Rufus *check*
    cool Natsu moment (punny i know) *check*
    yeah,i guess it qualifies as a FT chapter, not too shabby, did expect some collateral damage though (and a bit more then just slightly molten and very bent bars)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, so does this mean the first honestly doesn't think Laxus or Erza could defeat Jura? Jellal seemed confident he could win as long as he used his real power, and I would have thought that as a former Wizard Saint he would have the best idea of Jura's strength (Jura also said he was the weakest Wizard Saint, but he said that after Siegrain and Jose had already lost their positions, although it would be odd if their replacements were significantly stronger than they were). Although maybe Jellal is just that much stronger than Laxus and Erza, that isn't really made clear.
    Last edited by Drolyt; 2012-10-26 at 05:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... yeah, nice chapter but little too spectacular. Except what little we learn about the princess...

Oh god, please nobody start another discussion about power levels in FT... guess Mavis has her reasons for giving Yura as much credit as she does but... Holy ****, Erza beat 100 monsters at once. Who were said to be possibly stronger than a Saint. I... I'll just not think about it...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hm... yeah, nice chapter but little too spectacular. Except what little we learn about the princess...

Oh god, please nobody start another discussion about power levels in FT... guess Mavis has her reasons for giving Yura as much credit as she does but... Holy ****, Erza beat 100 monsters at once. Who were said to be possibly stronger than a Saint. I... I'll just not think about it...
    On Jura: he was a saint (albeit the joungest) 7 years ago. He also was hte only one to indicate not sitting on his arse while he was on the pluche. Not sitting on your arse has the uncanny benefit of improving one's abilites (generally speaking then), It was also 7 years ago rumored that while he was the youngest, he was certainly not the weakest of the saints. Jellal was kind of nervous back then.

Something tells me that Jura actually improved a lot (especially after various encounters with FT's Natsu). So he should be a bother. (It does depend however on the match. If he finds someone who can counter his earth element he's toast.) I do like the fact that Mavis isn't the idiot she has made us believe. I mean, sure Fairy Glitter, Fairy Dome and Fairy Law are nothing to scoff at, but still tactical genius beats raw power any time (except maybe against dragonslayers who are all hyped up, they use powerhax).
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

As i recall they just said that the strongest monster would be trouble for even a wizard saint, something that imo just tells us the people organising the event have no idea whatsoever about how strong the saints actualy are.

Something tells me that Jura actually improved a lot (especially after various encounters with FT's Natsu). So he should be a bother. (It does depend however on the match. If he finds someone who can counter his earth element he's toast.) I do like the fact that Mavis isn't the idiot she has made us believe. I mean, sure Fairy Glitter, Fairy Dome and Fairy Law are nothing to scoff at, but still tactical genius beats raw power any time (except maybe against dragonslayers who are all hyped up, they use powerhax).
    Its actualy depressing how rarely that last part is true in the top manga, the only place i rmember it being just the least bit common is in FMA and HunterXHunter.

Else, as wizards saints go then i could imagine that Jura would be close to his prime right now, from having the perfect balance between body and magic.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Its actualy depressing how rarely that last part is true in the top manga, the only place i rmember it being just the least bit common is in FMA and HunterXHunter.
    Naruto actually does it too, the only problem is that the only actual genius is Shikamaru. Yeah, they say other people are geniuses, but the only actual one is Shikamaru.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Naruto actually does it too, the only problem is that the only actual genius is Shikamaru. Yeah, they say other people are geniuses, but the only actual one is Shikamaru.
    As much as I like Shikamaru... he's still no genius. Well, not a IQ=200 genius as Asuma claimed way back, iirc. That's the thing... a character has a hard time being smarter than the writer... in a decent way. (As in, not the way Sherlock Holmes was a genius)
    I really can't see how Mavis could possibly predict all their enemies actions which... kind of would ruin the thing for me if I took FT serious on any level.
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

As much as I like Shikamaru... he's still no genius. Well, not a IQ=200 genius as Asuma claimed way back, iirc. That's the thing... a character has a hard time being smarter than the writer... in a decent way. (As in, not the way Sherlock Holmes was a genius)
    I really can't see how Mavis could possibly predict all their enemies actions which... kind of would ruin the thing for me if I took FT serious on any level.
    This is a problem with pretty much every "genius" character in fiction. Mostly genius seems to mean "pull answers out of nowhere"*. It is still fun if you ignore that.

* It doesn't help that in the real world "genius" usually means the ability to complete complex, long term projects (great works of art, cutting edge technology, state of the art scientific research, etc.) rather than the kind of... fast thinking might be a good term... that TV geniuses seem to have.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Am I first to the new chapter?

Spoiler
    Show
    Was anyone not expecting that win for Fairy Tail?

Unfortunately, didn't seem to update on Lucy's situation...
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-11-01 at 11:08 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Another win for Fairy Tail but at least it made sense in the fight.

Also Grey looted the hat! Way to go Grey!
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Kinda disappointed. Felt more like an Erza fight than a Grey fight.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I like the concept that he can make magic constructs faster then Rufus can memorize them, I just wonder HOW this is a thing that is possible.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I for one hope Grey keeps the hat.
    Truth resists simplicity.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the concept that he can make magic constructs faster then Rufus can memorize them, I just wonder HOW this is a thing that is possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ice Make: Unlimited Blade Works! Off-the-cuff theory: Rufus *could* memorize it, if he had waited until the whole arc was complete and memorized the structure as a single spell. Instead he tried to memorize each individual part, got overwhelmed by the speed they were being generated at, and was too flustered to take the opportunity to snapshot the completed effect once it was set and before Grey launched it.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bah, he'll strip it off with the rest of his cloths eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ice Make: Unlimited Blade Works! Off-the-cuff theory: Rufus *could* memorize it, if he had waited until the whole arc was complete and memorized the structure as a single spell. Instead he tried to memorize each individual part, got overwhelmed by the speed they were being generated at, and was too flustered to take the opportunity to snapshot the completed effect once it was set and before Grey launched it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That works.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ditto It looks very charming. And I've always been a fan of that FF Red Mage style hat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ice Make: Unlimited Blade Works!
    Hehe, that's what I thought as well. Okay, he nearly called it that himself.

Meh, decent chapter. Of course no surprise but it worked.
    Also, I like how Mavis commented basically on the recent discussion: "Sometimes emotions can overcome calculations."
    Good summary of how logic works in FT.

Otherwise... Yeah, not much to say. But it was okay.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I like how Mavis commented basically on the recent discussion: "Sometimes emotions can overcome calculations."
    I hated it with the burning passion of a thousand suns..

If it only happend sometimes it wouldnt be a problem, but as it is now it doesnt matter if you have more experience though a lifetime of battle, trained day and night to be the best, or used your head to plan ahead and gotten a serious tactical advantage.

Because as soon as you come up against a FT mage they just go lol emotions and beat you anyway.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

If it only happend sometimes it wouldnt be a problem, but as it is now it doesnt matter if you have more experience though a lifetime of battle, trained day and night to be the best, or used your head to plan ahead and gotten a serious tactical advantage.

Because as soon as you come up against a FT mage they just go lol emotions and beat you anyway.
    Heart: not such a lame power after all.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

I agree somewhat, the battles have become somewhat boring because of that. And Rufus had such a cool power too.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

The only issue I see is that the fights are too short to build up any drama, but since we seem to be running straight into a larger plot I can forgive that.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    The only issue I see is that the fights are too short to build up any drama, but since we seem to be running straight into a larger plot I can forgive that.
    Potential for drama from Sabertooth disappeared when Natsu crushed the two ST dragonslayers easily.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

So, yeah, finally read the chapter, here come my thoughts, neatly arranged in remarks in answer on a couple of quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can you spell sensory overload? What basically happened is that Gray was faster then rufus. My guess is that when you try to momeorize magic you need to see how it's done, what the effect is and plainly what it looks like when executed (or at least some sensory recording). If any of these aspects fail becuase you have no direct line of sight/hearing/etc. or you can't keep up with what happens, you've lost. to make a memory you need to do 3 things where a person executing the magic does one. It carries huge risks, but has almost unlimited potential. this way you can deprive an ememy of his or her weapons, or use their weapons against them. It doesn't come for free however.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. it doesn't suit him, it's not his style, something along those lines...
    Spoiler
    Show

agreed, Gray was on a timer here. rufus could draw it out, but gray needed to beat rufus ASAP becuase of the tactical advantage. His tactics were actually quite well executed: first: get to know thyne enemy, buy time to devise strategy, bring out appropriate big guns. And yes while keeping it is not a good idea, looting the hat shows style. Bonus points earned I'd say.
    Ditto It looks very charming. And I've always been a fan of that FF Red Mage style hat.

Hehe, that's what I thought as well. Okay, he nearly called it that himself.

Meh, decent chapter. Of course no surprise but it worked.

Otherwise... Yeah, not much to say. But it was okay.
    well, ofcourse. emotions are like nature's limitbreaker. this is turned up to 11 with dragonslayer magic where emotions literally are the catalyst of one's magic and serve as some kind of endless fuel. the fact that you can make a statistical distribution based on one's powers can't reliably account for the limitbreak of emotions since the rise in strength isn't that accountable. Emotions can help people do the most improbable things, and keep them from doing the most simple things, they are a wildcard in statistical analysis, and ultimately uncontrolled.
    Potential for drama from Sabertooth disappeared when Natsu crushed the two ST dragonslayers easily.
    yes pertaining to the mostpowerful of the guild type of things, no on killing the entire potential for drama. natsu did that. he had beef with the guild. he went all-out. natsu is currently not fighting in the tounament. -> drama back in, if FT doesn't win something might happen to Lucy. Plus I want to know how strong Gajeel has become.

All in all, I thought is was a neat chapter. concise, to the point and kept a good pacing. I'm curious how the other FT's are going to curbstomp.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

One thing that many people seem to forget about emotion's impact on a Fairy Tail mage is that they aren't completely powered by it. All of them are fairly powerful on their own right, Natsu was a S-class mage candidate very early on the series (he was just too hotheaded; but he had the skills) and he has only grown since them. I'd say that Saberthooth and Fairy Tail mages were pretty even in power level (at least the ones who went to Tenrou Island) and Emotion powah (TM) gives them just enough of a boost to break the stalemate (Do note how Gray was clearly hurt in his battle).
    Just call me Dusk

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

well, in terms of power Dragon Slayermagic is insane. Normally it's not toptier, but tier 2 at least, and with Emotion Powah(TM) it goes into the negative tiers, add in a little of their own element and you've got a walking and talking nuke. FT is just a guild filled with determinators, which allows them to overcharge with emotion... (even the 'cool' kids liek Gray)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    One thing that many people seem to forget about emotion's impact on a Fairy Tail mage is that they aren't completely powered by it. All of them are fairly powerful on their own right, Natsu was a S-class mage candidate very early on the series (he was just too hotheaded; but he had the skills) and he has only grown since them. I'd say that Saberthooth and Fairy Tail mages were pretty even in power level (at least the ones who went to Tenrou Island) and Emotion powah (TM) gives them just enough of a boost to break the stalemate (Do note how Gray was clearly hurt in his battle).
    Also, remember how even with the Power of Friendship they got completely decimated in Tenrou.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Also, remember how even with the Power of Friendship they got completely decimated in Tenrou.
    No. when they used the power of friendship they were guarding against acnologia. And it's safe to say that the power of friendship did protect them wholly from acnologia with the side effect of causing a timeskip. and remember that acnologia is equivalent to a god. an unstoppable force. Just sayin
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    No. when they used the power of friendship they were guarding against acnologia. And it's safe to say that the power of friendship did protect them wholly from acnologia with the side effect of causing a timeskip. and remember that acnologia is equivalent to a god. an unstoppable force. Just sayin
    Dude, you remember how a single guy basically defeated the whole guild? And there was an explanation as to why they survived... and it ain't what you said it was.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

True, that is primary why I found baffling that many people complain that Fairy Tail only wins through the power of emotion/determination (which incidentally is the one thing almost all Shonen heroes share), yes I agree it is an important part of it; but it isn't all there it is to it.
    Just call me Dusk