New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

If your concern is stability, you shouldn't be too worried. We're at nineteen, but most of them are happy. Get the bridge hooked up and we are impregnable.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually no, it's just that I've been kinda stressed lately and I don't think I have the patience to deal with a bunch of extra stupidity from dwarves right now. I don't know... sorry guys, but I think I'm going to have to withdraw my candidacy for the next turn. Maybe after the next person's turn or two, but not right now. So... the save is pretty much up for grabs. Anyone who wants to take the next turn, go for it.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Nooo! We have fallen to the most dire enemy of them all: Disinterest.

But really, come on everybody! Inexperience only makes the losing that much more Fun.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-03 at 05:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

I should be able to have a go at it come this afternoon. Was hoping to have more people inbetween my turns though. Depending on how this goes, I might go for the most number of forts unintentionally killed in an LP by one personn.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say go for it. The condition we're in now, I'd say its safe to just take the save and begin a turn. I'll try to have some screens up today now that I'm back to my normal computer.

Also, anybody who's been watching the thread, feel free to post if you want a dwarf named after you, and we'll do our best to chronicle their exploits much more than one of the normal dwarves.

This is not a ploy to drum up interest. *jedi*

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

The surface. Note the lovely aquifer-breaching hole.
    The Dwarven Tourism Board requests that you ignore the dead zombies.

Spoiler
    Show

Dirt level. Please ignore the graveyard, and the pile of unburied corpses. Most of those were zombies, anyway.
    The Death Tube can be seen in the upper left, lined with doors. They saved Shpadoinkle.

Spoiler
    Show

The fortress proper, carved in stone. Could use a little development, there aren't quite enough beds. The stairs at the left end lead to an unfinished second level.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-05 at 12:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post

Also, anybody who's been watching the thread, feel free to post if you want a dwarf named after you, and we'll do our best to chronicle their exploits much more than one of the normal dwarves.
    /unlurks

Have never played DF personally (looking forward to Clockwork Empires though, which sites DF as a heavy inspiration) but have had a lot of fun reading these threads (and Boatmurdered, of course).

If possible I'd like my dwarf to be a Jack of all Trades; you know, that guy who dabbles at fishing, masonry, and decorative cake frosting, but never manages to get Legendary at any of them before getting eaten by a zombie muskrat?

/relurks

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of wookieetank (again! ):

Spoiler
    Show
    1st of Granite, 109: I'm not quite sure how I managed to get myself back in charge but here I am again. We survived my first year of leadership, Armok willing we'll survive my second. After surveying the fort, it seems my predesessor was attempting to find the magma sea. Seems like a solid plan so the search continues!

15th of Granite, 109: I see that our beverage situation seems to be rather similar to when I left, as Olin Titthalkonos was just found dead by dehydration....

18th of Granite, 109: We lose another to the thirst, Mistem Cattennokgol, may your cup be ever full in the realm of Armok.

22nd of Granite, 109: Words fail me as we find Kol Athelthikut, a Dwarven baby, dead from thirst. I know not what my predesessor has done to cause such conditions, but I shall do what I can to make sure no more fall victim to the vile beast of dehydration.

7th of Slate, 109: Migrants have arrived to our humble hole in the ground. Should they survive the zombie horde that is...

3rd of Felsite, 109: After going back and investigating how progress on the shaft to magma was going, I found out that we have hit semi-molten Rock. We must be near to the sea!

4th of Felsite, 109: Shpadoinkle is taken by a mood and withdraws from society. Why does this seem strangely familar to me? No matter, exporatory mining for the magma see must continue.

5th of Felsite, 109: It seems Shpadoinkle has taken over a Mason's workshop. He then procedes to begin work on a "myseterious construction." Here's hoping something useful comes of his "inspired" mood.

9th of Felsite, 109: Grand news! We have not only found the magma sea, but we have found Adamantine! Some how we have bi-passed the main part of the sea. Once looking at things, it appears that the magma sea extends 5 levels ABOVE where we first encountered it. Also on this fine day Shpadoinkle has created Isulemath, a dacite door. Can't say i saw that one coming.

13th of Felsite, 109: After finding a number of our slain brethern in one of our stockpiles, coffins were ordered set up, and proper burial was ordered.

16th of Felsite, 109: Invaded by not only a Goblin Thief, but also a caravan of Pointy Eared Tree Hugging Hippes of Questionable Parentage from Sethe Cofari. Methods by which to deal with this annoyances are under construction.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

hey sorry i haven't been posting for a while but Ive been playing league of legends whenever I'm on the computer for a while now but i am still here and will probably be able to take the next turn when it comes around

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah, it's not my fault! Those ones died due to insanity.

The baby I'm less sure on. Maybe it fell down a hole and I forgot about it.

It was a hectic time.

By the way, could you fulfill Turbo's request if you have the time? If you're not up for doing it, I can always deal with that on my next turn.
    Dorfings make everything more interesting.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-05 at 11:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Wookieetank continued:

Spoiler
    Show
    17th of Felsite, 109: Zargodia has now been "missing" for a week. Seeing as how he kinda went for a swim in lava when we discovered the magma sea, can't say I'm terrible surprised.

19th of Felsite, 109: Merchants have arrived. I'm not sure how long they'll last, but with any luck we'll get some new goods, and might even get a zombie "discount" on them. Also erith Feshthob has been found dead, causes unknown.

8th of Hematite, 109: A kidnapper made off with Asen Aristunib. Maybe the rest of the upstart youth will listen when we tell them no to talk to strangers.

28th of Hematite, 109: A wave of 0 migrants have arrived. I think the dwarfs have wised up to what the situation here is like, bout time really. Due to lack of any better ideas coming to mind, the main areas of the fort have been designated for smoothing.

26th of Malachite, 109: For lack of any other news one of our fisher Ghosts, Olin Titthalkonos, has been put to rest.

26 of Galena, 109: Our siege workshop has now been built, and we can focus on making our entrances more secure* (*by secure I mean, more deadly to those who are not us!)

24th of Limestone: Another wave of 0 migrants, there might be hope for the dwarves yet!

will see what I can do about dorfing peeps when I get some extra time.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I'm really not liking that lack of migrants. What's our population like now? It was 19 when I left off.

We may want to start making trade goods, just to attract more migrants with the wealth.

....What has the game come to. I'm advocating more migrants....

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

We're at a population of 24 right now, and have no booze Perhaps word of this lack of booze has gotten out to the general public.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

We should have the resources. Go carve up some pots.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Wookieetank:

Spoiler
    Show
    1st of Sandstone, 109: After some otherworldly emmenations gave me the idea of crafting pots to draw in new settlers a craft workshop has been set up for construction. Also animals were set to be butcher and fish to be caught. If we can't have booze, we might as well eat decently.

1st of Timber, 109: Not much has happened recently. We had a masterpiece crafted, but I can't seem to find it, so I suppose it wasn't that spectacular.

12th of Timber, 109: The caravan from Timarkib has arrived, and they found some way for their wagons to bypass our inaccessible? trade depot.

16th of Moonstone, 109: Negotiations with the liasion from Mountainhome commenced. Food, seeds, and wood were requested in great quantities.

8th Opal, 109: Despite our lack of migrants, our population grows as Ustuth gives birth to a girl.

16th of Opal, 109: Another birth, this time Dakost has brought a girl into this world.

22nd of Opal, 109: We're just swimming in babies at this point as erith gives birth to a boy.

27th of Opal, 109: onul creates another masterpiece, hurray

28th of Opal, 109: At this rate our population is going to double from babies alone. Tulon has given birth to a boy.

3rd of Obsidian, 109: Luzahn has been possessed! Must find these poltergeists and slay them. In other news, Luzahn has commandeered a leather works.

7th of Obsidian, 109: Luzahn has completed Oltardebish, a two-humped camel leather hood. I... words escape me, I know not what to think of this oddity.

15th of Obsidian, 109: A wild broglin ambush appears!

20th of Obsidian, 109: A day of mourning, where 9 of our number were struck down.

21st of Obsidian, 109: 3 more of us have been struck down, one of which was Schylerwalker, may he rest in peace. turbo164 is throwing a tantrum, and I don't really blame him. Wouldn't mind joining him actually

22nd of Obsidian, 109: The despair deepens as we loose monarchAnarch along with 2 others. Seeing nothing better to do, I go ahead and throw a tantrum myself. Shortly into my tantrum, I was struck down and some random Urist was found dead. There are only 4 of our bretheren left in these halls.

24th of obsidian, 109: A 2nd ambush is upon us. I know not what we have done to anger Armok so, but it must have been terrible indeed for him to punish us suchly.

26th of Obsidian, 109: While haunting what remains of our once proud fort, I hear tell of Luzahn having been missing for a week now. I fear the worst has happened to him. Asmel is now throwing a tantrum, but with there only being 3 dwarfs left now, I don't know what he expects to accomplish with this act. Now it seems Stukos has also been missing for a week, I hope he and Luzahn booked it out of here. I dred to think of the alternatives.

27th of Obsidian, 109: We have been destroyed. There is nothing left here but ghosts and those who had laid waste to our host.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whelp, that was interesting. And full of Fun. Sadly I didn't really get any major modifications done to the fort, so it looks the same as what Luzahn posted.

Save: World

Thats 2 forts killed by me so far

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was a thing. How did the goblins get into the fort? We have that lovely moat and everything.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Thats 2 forts killed by me so far :smalleek
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was a thing. How did the goblins get into the fort? We have that lovely moat and everything.
    Apparently there was part of the bridge that hadn't been taken down. I also didn't know we were lacking a militia until we had already lost several of our number, and by the time I properly figured out how to attack back, we were down to less than half our number.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.
    Mind if I sig this?
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2012-11-08 at 09:22 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently there was part of the bridge that hadn't been taken down. I also didn't know we were lacking a militia until we had already lost several of our number, and by the time I properly figured out how to attack back, we were down to less than half our number.
    Ah, that makes sense. That was what I was referring to when I said that the bridge needed to be linked up.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, that makes sense. That was what I was referring to when I said that the bridge needed to be linked up.
    For some reason I thought you were saying that if you had been able to link up the bridge you wouldn't have destroyed it. Hurray for brain farts! XD

20. - Top - End - #290

Mind if I sig this?
    Go ahead

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

See, you say that not knowing how to play will make the game more fun. However, I literally don't know how to play. I will just smoosh everything in an orgy of inaction. T~T

I've always thought Dwarf Fortress was cool--mucked it up in Adventurer mode. I check back in on it recently, and there's like a bajillion new things. @_@

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    See, you say that not knowing how to play will make the game more fun. However, I literally don't know how to play. I will just smoosh everything in an orgy of inaction. T~T

I've always thought Dwarf Fortress was cool--mucked it up in Adventurer mode. I check back in on it recently, and there's like a bajillion new things. @_@
    In case you missed it, here's what my inexperience has led to:

I think including this thread I've now been a part of 5 total forts. At least the two I played here didn't die of starvation like my first 3 did.

And thanks kpenguin!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Tectonic, is it that you don't know the controls, or is it a lack of knowledge of strategy?

If it's the latter, you'd probably be find taking the second year of a fort. After infrastructures set up in the first, you would have practice before the attacks begin coming, which seems to usually be in year three outside of tower-menaced fortresses.

Also, if Shpadoinkle doesn't show up by the end of the day, would everybody be fine with my trying to organize the next fort's turns? It's good to have as little downtime as possible, or people lose interest.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-08 at 01:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

That sounds fine to me. I wanted a chance at the sand fort after Wookietank took his second turn, but we saw how that turned out

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

All right then, let's make it official:

Please post within 24 hours if you are interested in playing the starting turn of the next fort. At this time tomorrow the next player will be randomly selected from the pool.

Anybody interested can check the world for interesting-looking embark sites; we'll decide on which one to use before the next player is chosen. I for one should be posting a possibility or two tomorrow.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-08 at 10:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

I apologize for my absence and lack of posts, I just... have been rather stressed lately and and haven't had the inclination or patience for dwarven stupidity for the last three weeks or so. I am happy that other people are sufficiently interested at this point that my absence hasn't made much of a difference, though.

Anyway, I'll be available for a turn. Maybe if I start off a fort we won't run into Fun immediately, since I haven't done that yet.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    I apologize for my absence and lack of posts, I just... have been rather stressed lately and and haven't had the inclination or patience for dwarven stupidity for the last three weeks or so. I am happy that other people are sufficiently interested at this point that my absence hasn't made much of a difference, though.

Anyway, I'll be available for a turn. Maybe if I start off a fort we won't run into Fun immediately, since I haven't done that yet.
    You do realize you just streaked through the RNG's yard while questioning its parentage with that statement right?

On a more serious note I wish you luck in making a fort that I can't destroy through ineptitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm thinking we may want to found a fort away from a tower this time. Three goblin tribes is enough, you know?

Savagery could provide for early-game threats.

29. - Top - End - #299

I will also be available for a turn, doncha know

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I've found a site I like here:

Spoiler
    Show

The second biome within the area has shallow metal in addition to what is shown here, is Temperate, and Wilderness.

Any opinions, or other suggestions? If you can't see the site, it's near the middle-south, at the head of a river, and close to the glaciers.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-09 at 10:43 PM.